Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

molloyjh wrote: »
    From what I can gather it did happen, just not in the way Hamilton described it. They went on some sort of survival training exercise with Marines and a couple of them learned how to kill a rabbit for food. Not as bad as it was made out but at the same time I'm not sure what the point was. If it's team bonding you want play some paint ball.

I can absolutely understand going off with some marines for team bonding to be fair. It's probably slightly more impactful than a round of paintball!

Jim Hamilton probably hasn't made too many friends over this...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I would have thought Scots people would be well used to killing small animals for food

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

b.gud wrote: »
    From Reddit a graph of the 6 nations results since 2000

fTmpOWN.png

Frances dramatic decline since 2010 is fairly apparent looking at that. Didn't realise the Scots had that poor a record either.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I would have thought Scots people would be well used to killing small animals for food

Indeed, it's Whacking Day here soon. Any Haggis stupid enough to walk into my garden will be getting a hurley across the face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

razorblunt wrote: »
    Indeed, it's Whacking Day here soon. Any Haggis stupid enough to walk into my garden will be getting a hurley across the face.

Surely a shinty stick?!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

jacothelad wrote: »
    Personally I think that is despicable and if true, he should be sacked. What is the point of it for a start except to bring pain, anguish and death to timid, captive creatures in order to somehow boost Cotter's ego. What a horrible, disgusting thing to even consider never mind carry out.

Are you talking about killing the rabbits or coaching Scotland?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Ben Betts on bench for Leicester in pre season game tonight as they've injuries to a few props.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭b.gud

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Just goes to show exactly why incidents like that are, and should be, treated so seriously. That's just incredible stuff. Hopefully he returns to full fitness soon.

Surely a shinty stick?!

I've only got a narrow back garden, not enough room to swing one of those yolks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

London Irish looking to move into 12,000 capacity Griffin Park in Brentford
    griffin_park_panoramic_3.jpg

Make more sense than playing in Reading imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

wp_rathead wrote: »
    London Irish looking to move into 12,000 capacity Griffin Park in Brentford
    griffin_park_panoramic_3.jpg

Make more sense than playing in Reading imo

Absolutely

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

actually got my wires crossed and they looking to move into Brentford's proposed new ground, 20,000 capacity Lionel Road
    lionel-road-nov-2013-4x3277-1165676_478x359.JPG

I prefer Griffin Park myself

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

I think they are only opening one stand this season at the Madjeski and to be fair last season I was there for the Paddys day game and it was barely half full, I think the official attendance said 17k but in my opinion it was nowhere near that.
    Most of the time it's 6 or 7 thousand rattling around in a 25k stadium, Griffin Park would be far better suited and much closer to their Sunbury base.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Gregor Townsend taking over the Scotland job in June of next year.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

That's a bit early for him.

He's only been head coach at Glasgow for what? 3 seasons?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I wonder if it has anything to do with the rabbit story :D

Seriously though, Cotter has done alright with Scotland, they came the closest to reaching the SF of an of the 6 Nations sides at the WC, perhaps should have if not for a referee decision.

Maybe Cotter didn't want to stay, or maybe he's got another job lined up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I wonder if it has anything to do with the rabbit story :D

Seriously though, Cotter has done alright with Scotland, they came the closest to reaching the SF of an of the 6 Nations sides at the WC, perhaps should have if not for a referee decision.

Maybe Cotter didn't want to stay, or maybe he's got another job lined up.

I don't think he's done great with Scotland tbh.

While they were close to beating Australia (Australia were terrible that day), they should have lost to Samoa and not made it out of the group. They were also lucky to play a Japan team with only a couple of days rest after their SA exploits.

Townsend has done a fantastic job with Glasgow and deserves this gig imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,756 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Was he not the Scottish backs coach before that?

I'd say he is an obvious choice.

Bad news for Glasgow though.

I think he was assistant coach all right but he's still very inexperienced as a head coach for an Int job.

• Advertisement

This will be great news for Murrayfield, imagine the atmosphere building before the first Autumn International, cabre tossing, bagpipes, pyros, a teary eyed FoS as Toonie looks on. All the noise dies down to boos 5 minutes in as South Africa (or whomever) get awarded, rightly so, a penalty. Silence breaks out 2 minutes later as they go behind by 3 points.

Attending games in Murrayfield has had no effect on me ... none ... not even a small bit.

I wonder if Vern Cotter being out of a job and looking for more work will influence Joe's decision?

They did love working together in the past, maybe they'll go back to NZ together and take a team on together with an eye on doing the same for the big job?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭b.gud

I wonder if Vern Cotter being out of a job and looking for more work will influence Joe's decision?

They did love working together in the past, maybe they'll go back to NZ together and take a team on together with an eye on doing the same for the big job?

I wonder if Vern choose to go or was told he wasn't going to be kept on. From the official statement from Scottish rugby it sounded like they de idea not to extend his contract

I wonder if Vern choose to go or was told he wasn't going to be kept on. From the official statement from Scottish rugby it sounded like they de idea not to extend his contract

I get the impression they were going to go for Gregor anyway at this stage, the Scots don't seem too surprised anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Yeah it sounds like Cotter wasn't renewed all right. Will be interesting to see what happens now for him and where he ends up. Other than that 1 year with Clermont (partnered with Joe) he's managed no silverware up here at all has he? I do wonder just how good a coach he really is. He's clearly good, but top level?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

molloyjh wrote: »
    Yeah it sounds like Cotter wasn't renewed all right. Will be interesting to see what happens now for him and where he ends up. Other than that 1 year with Clermont (partnered with Joe) he's managed no silverware up here at all has he? I do wonder just how good a coach he really is. He's clearly good, but top level?
    He could take over for Lam when he takes over for Joe.......;)

The decision of the French to take Women's rugby professional could be absolutely massive for Irish rugby, we won't be able to compete even slightly. Very interesting to hear if the girls get a call.

Few locals over here reckon clubs were sniffing around Gregor Townsend and the SRU acted quickly to lock him in.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

The decision of the French to take Women's rugby professional could be absolutely massive for Irish rugby, we won't be able to compete even slightly. Very interesting to hear if the girls get a call.

Haven't the English done the same?

• Advertisement

Haven't the English done the same?

They've given full time contracts to the English squad, but I think the Top 14 are looking to implement more traditional professional teams.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement