Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

They've given full time contracts to the English squad, but I think the Top 14 are looking to implement more traditional professional teams.

I thought that's why sene naupou moved over to Gloucester apart from George playing there.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I thought that's why sene naupou moved over to Gloucester apart from George playing there.

I'd say there's more money available now for cases like that because the RFU are effectively subsidising those clubs further. I might be entirely wrong though and maybe Premiership Rugby are going to do the same as the Top 14 (they haven't announced it though as far as I'm aware).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,957 ✭✭✭✭phog

News to me.

From twitter
    RugbyInsideLine ‏@RugbyInsideLine 5m5 minutes ago
    BREAKING: We are led to believe that Vern Cotter will be the Lions coach for the 2017 Tour to New Zealand.

• Administrators Posts: 53,509 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It'll be a 3 nil pumping for sure, not sure I believe that story.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭golfer555

phog wrote: »
    News to me.

From twitter

Well it would fit nicely, he's out of contract in June and the Lions now insist the coach is in place for one year leading up to the tour.

Wales probably don't want to relase Gatland again.

• Advertisement

golfer555 wrote: »
    Well it would fit nicely, he's out of contract in June and the Lions now insist the coach is in place for one year leading up to the tour.

Actually Wales agreed to make Gatland available quite a while ago in principle, but he himself may not be interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

At least if it's Cotter the squad selection will be unbiased. He wouldn't load the Lions with Scottish players if he wants to win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    At least if it's Cotter the squad selection will be unbiased. He wouldn't load the Lions with Scottish players if he wants to win.

Don't think the Lions have a hope in hell of winning no matter who they pick

• Registered Users Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭OldRio

golfer555 wrote: »

I would imagine Gatland is very happy with that arrangement.

• Administrators Posts: 53,509 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Yeah_Right wrote: »

:pac:

The Lions could be given special dispensation to play every game with 16 men on the field at all times and they would still lose this series 3 nil.

• Advertisement

Dylan Hartley is joint favourite to be named Lions captain. I can just imagine how toxic boards.ie would become if Gatland and Hartley end up running the show...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Dylan Hartley is joint favourite to be named Lions captain. I can just imagine how toxic boards.ie would become if Gatland and Hartley end up running the show...

To be fair to him, he did alright this past 6 Nations in the role for England.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

I can see how Hartley would be a good captain for the Lions actually. Hard nosed nutcase might be just what is needed.

Fucking Gatland though. That's a 0-3 series right there. Not that we'll win anyway but I think a better coach could get us to a winner takes all in the Third Test situation.

Given how poorly Wales did on their summer tour against NZL are the powers that be really likely to give it to Gatland again?

Gatland is probably the ideal coach, there's not really anyone better available. He's a winner, he knows kiwi rugby and he's available. They need a better backs coach though and maybe Townsend won't be available with his new job lined up. If it's not Townsend or Joe then I'm very worried, maybe Alex King might be available, he's one of the best in Europe by all accounts and he's worked with Gatland previously. If it's Howley again I'll be very disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭DGRulz

I seem to remember they lost 3-0 to Austrailia in 2012 and he got it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Mad Mourad has put his name forward for LnR president.

Interesting times ahead.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Winters wrote: »

Interesting times ahead.

Sources close to Mourad say he feels he has a chance especially if Trump has a chance of becoming President of America

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

If anyone was wondering where ex St. Michaels, UCD, Leinster and Ireland flanker, Ex Heineken Cup supremo and Mark McCafferty's BFF Derek McGrath is now, he is CEO of the Curragh.

In case you are wondering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,803 ✭✭✭b.gud

Winters wrote: »

Interesting times ahead.

On the plus side we might soon be able to bring back the 5 nations trophy :)

Martin Anayi calling for the 6 Nations to be pushed back and the club season to finish before it starts, and that he expects World Rugby to facilitate this. He's been a real breath of fresh air since joining the Pro 12.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Martin Anayi calling for the 6 Nations to be pushed back and the club season to finish before it starts, and that he expects World Rugby to facilitate this. He's been a real breath of fresh air since joining the Pro 12.

How does he expect World Rugby to facilitate it if the Six Nations Unions are against it and it is they who will vote on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

It has to happen and it is good to see someone in this part of the world talking about it seriously. Although the idea of bringing in a US franchise I wouldn't be so sure about.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2016/0823/811451-pro12-want-to-push-back-6-nations-and-bring-in-us/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,764 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Gregor Townsend was just on BBC 5 Live there and was pretty coy when asked about the Lions. Listening to the tone of his interview I'd say he is probably nailed to be involved. Good news if true.

I'd have AWJ as Lions skipper, the problem is with the English second rows, and others, would he get on the team?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,764 ✭✭✭✭bilston

molloyjh wrote: »

It has to happen and it is good to see someone in this part of the world talking about it seriously. Although the idea of bringing in a US franchise I wouldn't be so sure about.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2016/0823/811451-pro12-want-to-push-back-6-nations-and-bring-in-us/

It would be interesting to see what difference moving the 6Ns back 3 week would actually make. On the face of it I don't see how it would resolve anything.

I'm open to new ideas regarding the Pro 12 so I'd like to hear more about how an American franchise would work in practice. I still believe getting the Welsh more invested, having the top internationals playing a bigger ratio of games and having one centralised broadcaster with exclusive rights (hence more valuable rights) are three issues that if resolved would give the league a real boost.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

bilston wrote: »
    It would be interesting to see what difference moving the 6Ns back 3 week would actually make. On the face of it I don't see how it would resolve anything.

I'm open to new ideas regarding the Pro 12 so I'd like to hear more about how an American franchise would work in practice. I still believe getting the Welsh more invested, having the top internationals playing a bigger ratio of games and having one centralised broadcaster with exclusive rights (hence more valuable rights) are three issues that if resolved would give the league a real boost.

While it would suck getting rid of FTA coverage for PRO12, the Heineken Cup didn't suffer when it went exclusively to SKY (in fact I really think the Champions Cup is suffering having the games split on BT and SKY)

There is no really solution to solving the problem of Welsh apathy towards PRO12

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I'm open to a US franchise. With no promotion/relegation the league gets stale. It's the same teams every season. However the last thing the league needs is more teams meaning more shadow squad matches.

bilston wrote: »
    Gregor Townsend was just on BBC 5 Live there and was pretty coy when asked about the Lions. Listening to the tone of his interview I'd say he is probably nailed to be involved. Good news if true.

How would that work though if he's taking over the Scotland job? Do they not have a tour next summer?

• Advertisement

An American team would be completely uncompetitive but their union would funnel a bunch of money into the league for the pleasure of being allowed to participate, just like the Italians did.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement