Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

LordSutch wrote: »
    Thinking of Rachel, Amy, Ruth, or even June? for our newborn, due the end of June :)

Any suggestions?

Rachel is lovely, there were 7 Amy's in my year in secondary school, but since then there have been very few that I have heard of.

It is lovely to have an uncommon name, IMO anyway!
    January wrote: »
    Saoirse is a wonderful name :p

Your bias :P :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

This is a great thread! Much better than the book of baby names from the library. My four year old son wants to call the baby 'Star' (his second choice...his first was 'Chips', which we vetoed, even though it could be quite cute) which I think is lovely but my husband thinks is too hippy. Realtin would be a nice compromise. Also love Siomha for a girl. Always liked Shiva for a boy from my time in India but my husband thought it was tempting fate (Shiva means 'the destroyer'!). Probably would go with Barry or Finbar for a boy, but I'm pretty sure its a girl this time.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Rosy Posy wrote: »
    This is a great thread! Much better than the book of baby names from the library. My four year old son wants to call the baby 'Star' (his second choice...his first was 'Chips', which we vetoed, even though it could be quite cute) which I think is lovely but my husband thinks is too hippy. Realtin would be a nice compromise. Also love Siomha for a girl. Always liked Shiva for a boy from my time in India but my husband thought it was tempting fate (Shiva means 'the destroyer'!). Probably would go with Barry or Finbar for a boy, but I'm pretty sure its a girl this time.

Awesome name :P

Just prepare her for a lifetime of spelling and pronouncing her name to people and having to explain it's meaning (Good peace) and how it's not the name of a character in a game or the Indian god! She could get called name ranging from Stormia to Simone! And don't forget the fada! :P

It does always get compliments though after people get their head around it! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

irishbird wrote: »
    congrats AOF, we need to meet up soon :)

deffo. next time im up home ill text des

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭salad dodger

Mrs D and I are about 15 weeks into the expectancy :D

Of the few traditions my folks had was to give myself and all my brothers names as gaeilge and it's something we'd like to keep going.

So far we seem to be agreeing on Daithí for a boy, for no particular reason other than we both like the name, and Siún for a girl after my mam who passed away last year.

Still, it's early days yet and our minds could change come d-day :)

Having good craic tho coming up with the most random names when asked if we'd come up with anything yet. My favourites so far are lillydaisy or myley-bella for a girl or heston/gordon/jamie for a boy :D:D Just afraid that if i say the 'silly' names enough they might actually stick!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Having good craic tho coming up with the most random names when asked if we'd come up with anything yet. My favourites so far are lillydaisy or myley-bella for a girl or heston/gordon/jamie for a boy :D:D Just afraid that if i say the 'silly' names enough they might actually stick!!!!

Love Daithí!

Kinda like myley- bella and jamie too! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Storminateacup

I'm stuck on the boys names!

Sean is the only boys name I like.

OH likes Cillian or Liam.

Girls names.
    Ava
    Layolla
    Anna
    Madison
    Mia

OH likes
    Nadia
    Heidi
    Louise

Although - names just seem to "fit" certain babies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

I'm stuck on the boys names!

Sean is the only boys name I like.

OH likes Cillian or Liam.

Girls names.
    Ava
    Layolla
    Anna
    Madison
    Mia

OH likes
    Nadia
    Heidi
    Louise

Although - names just seem to "fit" certain babies.

How would that one be pronounced?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Storminateacup

li-ola. i think its pretty <3

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Reminds me of the Jesuits http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignatius_of_Loyola

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

My little one is called Akimi ( a - quay - me)
    My other half thought of it, I was convinced I was having a boy so only had boys names.

I love it but my parents still cant think of it,mum has it written down beside the phone and my Gran Aunt calls her Cathy!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

So far we seem to be agreeing on Daithí for a boy, for no particular reason other than we both like the name, and Siún for a girl after my mam who passed away last year.
    Never heard of that name before.
    I like it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Where does it come from? It looks like it would be pronounced lay-olla and I can't think of where 'lay' is pronounced as 'lee'. It's pretty and very different. Ava/Éabha/Eva on the other hand, must be the most popular girl's name in Ireland at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭DetectivFoxtrot

Does anyone like Emme (pronounced Emmy) for a girl? It's really growing on me - a twist on the more classic 'Emma'.
    I also like Keema (I need to stop watching The WIRE).

My traditional choices are:

Kate (after my maternal grandmother)
    Danny (after OH's paternal grandfather)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

Emme/Emmy is cute. My niece is called Emily and she used to call herself Emmy.

But I wonder what it would be like as a name for a grown woman...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    My other half thought of it, I was convinced I was having a boy so only had boys names.

Is that a Japanese name?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

1st thing that came to mind was keema naan,then curry.

Siún is a lovely name.
    Never heard Siomha before either,I love old irish names.

I have never heard the name Layolla before and google isn't helping.What does it mean?What country is it from?

My girls are called Dearbhail and Caoimhe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

I like Akimi, that's a nice name. We'll be using Lilith, Lilly for short.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Casey_81

My hubby isnt irish, so have great fun trying to get him to pronounce Irish names :) Especially the double vowel ones...

Know 10 pregnant women, all due before me so will wait & see what names they use first..

Casey_81 wrote: »
    My hubby isnt irish, so have great fun trying to get him to pronounce Irish names :) Especially the double vowel ones...

Know 10 pregnant women, all due before me so will wait & see what names they use first..
    Christ 10 pregnant women plus you?
    Thats amazing. There's something in the water:)
    Good Luck

• Advertisement

amiable wrote: »
    Christ 10 pregnant women plus you?
    Thats amazing. There's something in the water:)
    Good Luck

Yeah its mad alright... definitly a baby boom going on at the minute. It will be interesting to find out what they call their babies.. We are all very protective of our fave names, just incase someone else nicks it.

Casey_81 wrote: »
    Yeah its mad alright... definitly a baby boom going on at the minute. It will be interesting to find out what they call their babies.. We are all very protective of our fave names, just incase someone else nicks it.
    Well my partner is pregant too
    I've been told the baby will either be called Shane or Cara
    I have no choice it seems as when the baby is born i'll be a wreck and she knows she'll just get her way:)

amiable wrote: »
    Well my partner is pregant too
    I've been told the baby will either be called Shane or Cara
    I have no choice it seems as when the baby is born i'll be a wreck and she knows she'll just get her way:)

They are lovely names, fingers crossed noone close to ye will take those names between now and the due date!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Originally Posted by wmpdd3

Is that a Japanese name?

Yes it means Autumn fruit ( アキミ )

she was born in September.

We called her Akimi Marie, but Akimi has stuck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

We are expecting our second baby in June, & the hunt is on for a name :)

We read in one of the many baby name books from the library that if you have a 'two syllable' surname, then its best to give your child a three syllable Christian name! this is just one of many recommendations that various baby name books advise, but doest it really matter?
    Does a three syllable christian name fit better with a two syllable surname? I'm not sure that it matters at all, but then maybe . . .

Any thoughts on this, Mum's & Dad's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

I've a three syllable first name and a two syllable surname... but I don't think it makes any difference... my brother and sister have two syllables for both names and my other sister only one syllable first name and two syllable surname.

My children have a three syllable surname and three and two syllable first names respectively and they sound fine to me!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

My last name is three syllables and my brothers both got one syllable first names, I got a two. My "original" name was three syllables, Imogen, and I'm so glad they didn't go for it! It would have been such a mouthful!

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Vico1612

Morning,

We are expecting baby 2 in June and are looking for girl names [ boy name is ok :-) ]

I like Saoirse but my wife isn't too keen on the pronunciation Sear-Shah. [ and also because our familiy in France still can get to grips with Caoimhe :D ]

Does Sorsha exist ? [ with this spelling ? ]

We also like Sheena and a colleague's wife is called Sheena, with the following spelling : Síona but I haven't found much info about this spelling.
    Is it an uncommon name ?
    Thanks
    Mr P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Silcocky

Hey Guys,

26 weeks today and think we have it narrowed down to the last four or five names for each sex. Presumably it'll be decided depending on what he/she 'looks' like!

The boys names are (in order of preference):
    Max
    Cole
    Ollie
    Tommy
    Spence(r)

Girls:
    Connie
    Rae
    Victoria
    Nicole

What do ye think? We're getting mixed reviews for Connie, our favourite girls name....

Advertisement