Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky 500MB Broadband, Tv and and Sky Sports €55pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

I was considering changing names on the account like you said but no point now if it wont get installed at the same address.

They've told me that in the past too but it's a scare tactic. You (Mooseknunkle) would be classed as an existing customer if you returned inside 12 months but your address isn't blocked. Just sign up again under Mr(s) Mooseknunkles name instead. They tell me that every time I request to cancel. Last time I set it up via card payment via Revolut card too so it wasn't linked to my DD. Not a big deal at all, just a save tactic they use

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭McBain11

I'm looking at getting this in for the parents house as their Virgin deal is finishing up. They've never had Sky installed before though.

Do Sky need to call to the house and run a few lines for the TV/Internet or what's the exact scenario here?

Also, are any of those TV channels listed HD? Are Rte channels and Sky Sports channels on this HD?

Any help greatly appreciated :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Trimm Trabb

They send a router (skyhub) in the post and you connect it yourself on the activation date.

As An Post are working at capacity there may be delays. My switch over is tomorrow but the router wont arrive until tomorrow at the earliest.

I wonder if they switch over before I change routers will I lose Internet?

Did it go smoothly for you, Trimm Trabb?

I’ve haven’t received anything and am still in contract with Vodafone for another few weeks so not in a rush.

My TV installation date isn’t for 2 weeks..

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭BLUEYK

pelemcg wrote: »
    Signed up yesterday, plan to use for a year then switch to Saorview/Freesat or some combo of both. Installation due in two weeks. Does anyone know if I'll be billed immediately if I start using Sky Go before the installation date? Thanks

I signed up yesterday also and was using Sky Go last night. Would be interested when billing starts for TV too as install not till end of this month. Router arrived this morning only ordered yesterday afternoon. Says on the router box due to go live 13th, Friday 13th.....nothing can go wrong!

Also, when I used Sky Go last night I have access to movies and BT sports too. Anyone else notice that? I just signed up for the e55 offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Signed up yesterday, plan to use for a year then switch to Saorview/Freesat or some combo of both. Installation due in two weeks. Does anyone know if I'll be billed immediately if I start using Sky Go before the installation date? Thanks

Just on that, you’ll need to install an aerial for soarview and replace the LNB for Freesat, also you may have to use a combiner for saorview/Freesat depending on feed(s) in your room(s)

Maybe you know that already but it’s just something to consider especially since sky use a different LNB for sky Q.... I believe you can request a hybrid LNB but not sure how possible that is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,666 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

FYI on the Freesat option down the line as I did what you're thinking. You'll need a hybrid LNB as the standard Sky Q one doesn't work with most existing Freesat boxes. Sky engineers used to be able to install these instead but not sure if they still do (was 3 years ago in my case). If they do though it's a straight swap at the end of the deal. A Saorview aerial also needed

Otherwise you'll need to swap the LNB at the end yourself or possibly by there there'll be more boxes that support it.

(EDIT: Or what Ghosty said! :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Also if anyone is with Vodafone currently, switching to Sky and using a 3rd party router

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058110898

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭shmeee

Savage deal, I got something similar last year but it was out a bit earlier and my 12 months ended a few weeks ago so had to ring and cancel, got as far as cancelling and then they knocked it back a bit but nowhere as good as this. Tied into 12 more months with them now for my sins.

Have cancelled and signed up again for Sky bundles like this about 3 times in the last 5 years.

Go for it people, just make sure to ring 30 days in advance of the end of your 12 month contract and cancel or the following moth bill will be a whooper!

bkrangle wrote: »
    Anyone know how the different broadband speeds are determined?

The black Friday deal covers speeds up to 500MB but its seems only 75 MB is available in my area.

Thanks

Majority of fibre lines where I am only feed about 100mb max to the house (75Mbps average download, 20Mbps average upload), but they say up to 500mb. Depends on the network infrastructure in your area really.

So don't be expecting 500mb!

Check what speed you can get here: https://www.airwire.ie/index.php/avail/main/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

phester28 wrote: »
    issue with alot of these offers is that the price changes outside of contract or after 12 months. My guess is that this will cause 60-80 euro post 12 months?

Wouldn’t touch sky or eir as their customer service is horrendous

• Advertisement

phester28 wrote: »
    issue with alot of these offers is that the price changes outside of contract or after 12 months. My guess is that this will cause 60-80 euro post 12 months?

I've set a calendar reminder for 01/11/2021 to remind me to cancel or negotiate a new deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

not too shabby.

Internet speed test

471.7 Mbps download

48.0 Mbps upload

Latency: 3 ms
    Server: Dublin

Can i replace the 2 boxes with just one box? installer mumbled something about needing to ring eircom to do something with the fibre, went a little over my head.

the wifi from the sky router is crap.

speedtest.png

eoinf wrote: »
    not too shabby.

Internet speed test

Testing upload…
    471.7 Mbps download

48.0 Mbps upload

Latency: 3 ms
    Server: Dublin

Can i replace the 2 boxes with just one box? installer mumbled something about needing to ring eircom to do something with the fibre, went a little over my head.

the wifi from the sky router is crap.

yoaRHt2

Pretty much the same speeds as mine, though I get 515/50 more often than not :) Installed last week.

You'll still need the SIRO box on the wall but I fully agree on the router.. wi-fi is awful and too locked down for my needs so I've ordered a replacement from Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Pretty much the same speeds as mine, though I get 515/50 more often than not :) Installed last week.

You'll still need the SIRO box on the wall but I fully agree on the router.. wi-fi is awful and too locked down for my needs so I've ordered a replacement from Amazon.

Interested to know what you ordered?

I've a 1960's concrete house and the back bedrooms barely get wifi, messed around with channel etc. but no joy.

Could do without a big beast with multiple areials but if its my only option.

eoinf wrote: »
    Interested to know what you ordered?

I've a 1960's concrete house and the back bedrooms barely get wifi, messed around with channel etc. but no joy.

Could do without a big beast with multiple areials but if its my only option.

I'm going with the AX3000 here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B083QK8HT2

It'll also future-proof me as I have a few Wireless-AX devices (new phone and PC WiFi card) now anyway. Reading this thread, it should be possible to just swap the Sky one out and this one in.

I was thinking of the AX6000 but I really can't justify nearly 300 sterling for a router.

I'm running an Asus RT-AC68U (on Vodafone SIRO, moving to Sky tomorrow) and it does the job fine. It's oldish but reliable. £116 on Amazon.

You'll need to change your PPPoE settings on the new router. Username and password in the link below.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058110898

I'll probably go with a mesh network next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

shmeee wrote: »
    Majority of fibre lines where I am only feed about 100mb max to the house (75Mbps average download, 20Mbps average upload), but they say up to 500mb. Depends on the network infrastructure in your area really.

So don't be expecting 500mb!

Check what speed you can get here: https://www.airwire.ie/index.php/avail/main/
    If your in an area with fiber to the home you will get 500mb. If it's fiber to cabinet you'll get circa 70mb.
    I'm fibre to home with eir, and get 1000mb down 100mb up at 55 euro pm.

givecredit wrote: »
    If your in an area with fiber to the home you will get 500mb. If it's fiber to cabinet you'll get circa 70mb.
    I'm fibre to home with eir, and get 1000mb down 100mb up at 55 euro pm.

Strangle I'm FTTH and I get 200 down and 140 up. On a Vodafone 1Gbps plan.

SachaJ wrote: »
    Strangle I'm FTTH and I get 200 down and 140 up. On a Vodafone 1Gbps plan.

Speeds vary so much with FTTH, I've a 2 friends who got FTTH installed last month and one gets about 300mb down, the other gets 120mb down. Both on the highest plan / speed possible with their providers.

And as for trying to ring Eir / Sky to see why your line won't take the speed, you may forget about it. Parents house can still only get 10mb max, and the fibre hub is 50 yards down the road but the house isn't fibre enabled yet and they are working on it, this is 7 years later after the hub went in. Joke!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,393 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

shmeee wrote: »
    Speeds vary so much with FTTH, I've a 2 friends who got FTTH installed last month and one gets about 300mb down, the other gets 120mb down. Both on the highest plan / speed possible with their providers.

And as for trying to ring Eir / Sky to see why your line won't take the speed, you may forget about it. Parents house can still only get 10mb max, and the fibre hub is 50 yards down the road but the house isn't fibre enabled yet and they are working on it, this is 7 years later after the hub went in. Joke!

Issues arise when people
    a) use wireless. You can't get 1Gb on wireless
    b) use laptops with a 10/100 LAN card
    c) using bad cables or a distance away in the house.

The real test is plugging a laptop with 1Gb card using a wire into the router.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭NaFirinne

I'm using vodafone Ftth and get 875.21Mbps dowload and 95.32 upload.

Looks about right.

I use 1 gig ethernet cables rather then going wireless.

TheDriver wrote: »
    Issues arise when people
    a) use wireless. You can't get 1Gb on wireless
    b) use laptops with a 10/100 LAN card
    c) using bad cables or a distance away in the house.

The real test is plugging a laptop with 1Gb card using a wire into the router.

In my case I got 1GB for about 3 weeks and then it dropped to 200Mb. Same PC, same cables.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭CH3OH

Just a few comments
    Signed up on Monday and booked for connection on 27th thinking that I would need to give Eir 30 days notice.
    Router arrived Tuesday with a set up date of today.

Panic stations this morning when Eir died.
    Set up sky router and connected OK.

The WiFi isn't any better than with Eir and needed to use a WiFi extender
    There are only 2 ethernet connections on the router so need to get a 5 or 8 port switch.
    The App works straight away with all channels.

Does anyone know how I can get the 2TB sky Q box instead of the 1TB that appears on the order?

CH3OH wrote: »
    Does anyone know how I can get the 2GB sky Q box instead of the 1Gb that appears on the order?

Good question, do you need the 2TB box to get Atmos as I presume you can get UHD on the 1TB box.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭CH3OH

SachaJ wrote: »
    Good question, do you need the 2TB box to get Atmos as I presume you can get UHD on the 1TB box.

Thanks for the TB!

I may be wrong, but I thought I read somewhere that you can only view 2 mini boxes with the 1TB. If you wanted to watch 3, you needed the 2TB box
    I may need 3!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,814 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

What's Airwire like as an ISP do you know?

Terrible in my experience, zero customer service.
    moved to lightnet after them who were better but staggered my speeds
    depending on my usage then then to imagine who were miles the best but
    more expensive

CH3OH wrote: »
    Just a few comments
    Signed up on Monday and booked for connection on 27th thinking that I would need to give Eir 30 days notice.
    Router arrived Tuesday with a set up date of today.

Panic stations this morning when Eir died.
    Set up sky router and connected OK.

I got my router today with a set up date of today but I assumed the Vodafone WiFi will stay connected until the contract ends next month unless I change the router to sky.
    Hasn't cut out yet anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭bailey99

Soarer wrote: »
    You’re technically not an existing customer ie. you’re not in contract.
    Ring them and I’d bet you get it.

Was onto them again today, there's no hint of s deal do after nine years I'd say I'm leaving Sky.

bailey99 wrote: »
    Was onto them again today, there's no hint of s deal do after nine years I'd say I'm leaving Sky.

You generally won't get a deal until you're actually going through the cancellation process with the retentions agent, or a little while afterwards through the app

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,814 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

bailey99 wrote: »

They'll do everything they can to keep you so be adamant that you're
    leaving after every reduced offer they offer you keep telling them you're cancelling

I left sky two years ago, was nearly an hour on cancelling and after thinking I was finished they transferred me to the tv dept after getting the broadband done.
    They fought hard to keep me I'll give them that

This is a great offer, best I've seen so far, was giving them around 100 a month for years too myself.

Advertisement