Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky 500MB Broadband, Tv and and Sky Sports €55pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,702 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Are the sky sports channels in 4K or HD?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Del007

Are the sky sports channels in 4K or HD?

HD channels are an extra €8. Not sure about 4k

Del007 wrote: »
    HD channels are an extra €8. Not sure about 4k

So this deal is only for standard definition tv? Would have expected minimum HD if not 4k. 4K has been around for years at this stage.
    Charing extra for HD is crazy.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

So this deal is only for standard definition tv? Would have expected minimum HD if not 4k. 4K has been around for years at this stage.
    Charing extra for HD is crazy.

Ya it's mental alright but that's what they charge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

word of warning if anyone is fond of IPTV or the likes through a fire stick or on a tablet, you need a VPN.

I got away without one on virgin broadband but a non runner with the sky router.

Makes sense but heads up none the less.

• Advertisement

eoinf wrote: »
    word of warning if anyone is fond of IPTV or the likes through a fire stick or on a tablet, you need a VPN.

I got away without one on virgin broadband but a non runner with the sky router.

Makes sense but heads up none the less.

As in do they block it or is it just slow?

I'm currently with Vodafone but still use my old sky router, just didn't bother changing it. I've had no problems with IPTV

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭bailey99

is the 0818 number to ring Sky Ireland free on mobiles are will i be charged a huge amount waiting online.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,724 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

SachaJ wrote: »
    By any chance would you notice 30 second dropouts?

I've had at least 4 drops today so far, 2 in the last hour. Very frustrating as each time remote desktop drops and I need to log back in to work. It's not on the work side as I can't access anything during that period and the wife's PC is the same.

I would.. I WFH these days and online from about 8:30 through till 6pm and then in the evening gaming and chatting with the lads

Haven't had any problems so far. I'd say give them a call if you haven't already.

bailey99 wrote: »
    is the 0818 number to ring Sky Ireland free on mobiles are will i be charged a huge amount waiting online.

Use 1800 927 476 to be sure. Goes to the same menu anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

As in do they block it or is it just slow?

I'm currently with Vodafone but still use my old sky router, just didn't bother changing it. I've had no problems with IPTV

I couldn't get onto it fullstop. kept timing out. tried on a few devices.

Loaded the VPN and worked fine.

As i said virgin router didn't need the VPN.

Speedtest for both routers/suppliers are similar ~200mb down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭SachaJ

ElNino wrote: »
    Is your SIRO activated? When I switched to Sky it took a few days to be activated after the install and my broadband was like that until it was activated. If you are with Sky their app will show if your broadband is activated.

If I log into the website it says activation complete

• Registered Users Posts: 24,293 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

well since BB installed - all netflix devices in the house work but the TV... it now "can't connect to netflix"

google leads me to a lot of people having similar issues

done all manner of resets and reconfigs but it's just not working on the tv

it's something to do with sky doing something untoward with DNS lookups

lawred2 wrote: »
    well since BB installed - all netflix devices in the house work but the TV... it now "can't connect to netflix"

google leads me to a lot of people having similar issues

done all manner of resets and reconfigs but it's just not working on the tv

it's something to do with sky doing something untoward with DNS lookups

Possibly.. you could try changing the DNS in the TVs network settings to Google's 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Possibly.. you could try changing the DNS in the TVs network settings to Google's 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

Sky's router only acts as a gateway and I've the DNS (1.1.1.1) set on my own router.. works for all other devices..

Tried explicitly setting DNS on the TV to 8.8.8.8 - no dice

TV region settings maybe?

Ya it's mental alright but that's what they charge

Is the picture quality any good? I struggle to see anything in SD especially sports.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

TV region settings maybe?

actually I might have just sorted it

I simply removed all custom/explicit DNS settings and let the DNS lookups get forwarded to Sky's own DNS servers and hey presto - no issues

ridiculous but there you go

actually I might have just sorted it

I simply removed all custom/explicit DNS settings and let the DNS lookups get forwarded to Sky's own DNS servers and hey presto - no issues

ridiculous but there you go

My setup currently runs through a domain controller with DNS pointing to Google's IPs and serving DHCP to the client devices. Haven't had any issues but I'm probably the last man in Ireland without Netflix :)

When the new router arrives shortly (it's out for delivery) the intent will be to replace the Sky one entirely and point its DNS at Google or that 1.1.1.1 setup (which I wasn't aware of so thanks for that!)

My setup currently runs through a domain controller with DNS pointing to Google's IPs and serving DHCP to the client devices. Haven't had any issues but I'm probably the last man in Ireland without Netflix :)

When the new router arrives shortly (it's out for delivery) the intent will be to replace the Sky one entirely and point its DNS at Google or that 1.1.1.1 setup (which I wasn't aware of so thanks for that!)

everything else worked with 1.1.1.1 - just not netflix on the TV

1.1.1.1 is Cloudflare - I'd have preferred to stick using that but there you go.. I like to have netflix working on the TV

NP. See attached

Hey mate,

Thanks for this. I've entered the same on my own new ASUS router but no joy.

Can you show me what you set the dual-LAN and LAN/IPTV settings up as?

Also, I assume you have the cable from the SIRO box on the wall plugged into whatever LAN port you set above (rather than plugged into the WAN port)?

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Hey mate,

Thanks for this. I've entered the same on my own new ASUS router but no joy.

Can you show me what you set the dual-LAN and LAN/IPTV settings up as?

Also, I assume you have the cable from the SIRO box on the wall plugged into whatever LAN port you set above (rather than plugged into the WAN port)?

Cheers

Plug wall box into the Wan port. That's the way it's plugged into my Asus router with the 4 LAN ports feeding devices/switches.

Plug wall box into the Wan port. That's the way it's plugged into my Asus router with the 4 LAN ports feeding devices/switches.

Did you mess with the Dual WAN options or how did you set the VLAN it apparently needs? (the Sky router is setup that the SIRO cable is plugged into one of the LAN ports)

Sorted it... not sure how but connected back to WAN port, turned off dual WAN and restarted the router.. connected! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

How do you claim the €50 prepaid mastercard?
    Signed up at start of month online and this was part of deal.

Ive since not seen any way or claiming it and Sky are impossible to get hold of.

Blanco100 wrote: »
    How do you claim the €50 prepaid mastercard?
    Signed up at start of month online and this was part of deal.

Ive since not seen any way or claiming it and Sky are impossible to get hold of.

Interesting.. forgot about that part

Its not part of my rewards section either.

I know for a fact it was included in the deal but no mention in the confirmation emails.

Comreg should be cracking down on this kinda rubbish, that and the fact you have to dig deep on their website to find a way of actually talking to a real person.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭pelemcg

It's in the t&cs on the offers part of the website. Agree, should have been in the emails.
    I'd screenshot it.
    "Prepaid MasterCard®: Once we have received your first subscription payment and you have been active for 30 days, we will invite you to claim your reward online at sky.com/claim. You will be eligible to claim your reward for up to 90 days of your service being activated. Offer limited to one per new customer household. Further terms apply"

pelemcg wrote: »
    It's in the t&cs on the offers part of the website. Agree, should have been in the emails.
    I'd screenshot it.
    "Prepaid MasterCard®: Once we have received your first subscription payment and you have been active for 30 days, we will invite you to claim your reward online at sky.com/claim. You will be eligible to claim your reward for up to 90 days of your service being activated. Offer limited to one per new customer household. Further terms apply"

screenshot it from where? Its not in my rewards or extras section? No reference to it whatsoever under my account. First bill payment was made today. Active since 21st October (Skygo), engineer came to house on 4th November.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭bailey99

All sky phone lines for customer service closed down. Been trying to contact them for two weeks. No calls returned despite promises. I phone again yesterday to follow up yet again and was promised I'd be phoned this morning.

I wasn't.

After lunch I called sky again. And message said all phone lines closed for the day. That's some customer service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭corks finest

bailey99 wrote: »
    All sky phone lines for customer service closed down. Been trying to contact them for two weeks. No calls returned despite promises. I phone again yesterday to follow up yet again and was promised I'd be phoned this morning.

I wasn't.

After lunch I called sky again. And message said all phone lines closed for the day. That's some customer service.
    Then and eir to be avoided at all costs

Advertisement