Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAMSAT 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Celestial12

1. UCD
    2. RCSI
    3. UCC
    4. UL

I have UCD and RCSI first because I want to move to Dublin. I'd be happy with an offer from any university, each program has its pros and cons, my order of preference is just based on what's most convenient for me. Did anyone go to the RCSI open day? A lot of my information on the course is based on information posted here (sometimes from years ago) and I'm not sure how much things have changed since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Sgro

simple reasons;
    -Costs a little less studying in UCD for both tuition+living costs.
    -It's a lot more EU friendly, as in more spaces for us than for international students, therefore im more likely to get an offer with my gamsat score if i made UCD my first choice, while rcsi would feel more limited.
    -My Uncle studied at UCD medical school, so im more inclined to pick it lol
    In my opinion, ill be happy to get into either, they are both tied in terms of overall reputation, but the points i raised really makes a difference for me.

All valid points, but you know your point 'im more likely to get an offer with my gamsat score' is wrong?
    The application works like the CAO - your preference doesn't mean you won't get a place.

For e.g., if you have more points and a given school is your last choice, you will still get offered a place over someone who has that school as their first preference but less points. You should base your CAO preferences *solely* on where you would *genuinely* prefer. You cannot game the CAO system re. points etc - it is impossible in how places are allocated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

Would highly recommend UCD to anyone still considering. Easily the best teaching hospitals and a great course structure.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭e1994

Anita Blow wrote: »
    Would highly recommend UCD to anyone still considering. Easily the best teaching hospitals and a great course structure.

I was just wondering what the summer breaks are like with UCD - from what I've seen the first yeah it seems to be June-August, just wondering if it similar for other years? 😊

1st-2nd year is May-Sep

2-3rd & 3rd-4th is last week of June to last week of Aug

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭futuremedic777

Anita Blow wrote: »
    1st-2nd year is May-Sep

2-3rd & 3rd-4th is last week of June to last week of Aug
    interesting, so what did you do during those summer holidays? revision? summer-job? vacation?

Enjoy them. Make the most of any time you can have outside of medicine, especially before you start working in it. And I don't mean that in a pessimistic fashion. Medicine is great but it's important early on to set boundaries around what's your personal life and what's your work/college life!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 medennial

To those applying for the UL BOI loan, they've updated their contact info online and the sheet now specifically says "typically a parental guarantor is required"

At least they've put the same info up as what they said on the Open Day!

https://www.ul.ie/gems/sites/default/files/TailoredFinancialPackageforStudentsofGEMS.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Rainbowdash1

Married with kids. Hopefully parental guarantor not required in this instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭santino

Just a small point I thought of today (even though hopefully it doesn't apply to many of you here). Our offers come out in early August. However if you are not successful, the gamsat registration closes on 23rd July (with late registrations open until August 1st). So basically, if you are iffy at all about your score/offer, it may be prudent to apply. Costly though, I'm going to have to do this. As for refunds, this is from ACER website:

"Registration fees for the GAMSAT test will be refunded without charge if requested within 14 days of your registration date. After that period an administration charge of $70 (including GST) in Australia, €45 in Ireland or £45 in the UK will be deducted. Refund requests for GAMSAT September 2018 registrations must be submitted before 1pm (BST) OR 10pm (AEST) on Wednesday 1 August 2018, unless otherwise allowed by law "

Soo, if I'm reading that right, no chance of a refund as you must request before August 1st...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Hopefulgem2018

Hi all, just wondering how people are fixed with regard to making the final decision on which order of preference to put down for the various GEM courses on the CAO? I’m conscious of the fact that the change of mind window closes on Sunday and curious if other people are fairly comfortable with their decisions at this stage or still having some reservations? I have UCD down first and think I’m happy enough with that but I really enjoyed the RCSI open day, so hoping my gut is telling me the right thing! I’d obviously be happy with either but still a tough decision to make.

Who else received a text and an email from UL yesterday (30/06/2018)
    454659.png

I got the email but no text!

I got the email but no text!
    i received a text on my mobile to check my emails for this message, I was wondering if all applicants received it too

Hi all, just wondering how people are fixed with regard to making the final decision on which order of preference to put down for the various GEM courses on the CAO? I’m conscious of the fact that the change of mind window closes on Sunday and curious if other people are fairly comfortable with their decisions at this stage or still having some reservations? I have UCD down first and think I’m happy enough with that but I really enjoyed the RCSI open day, so hoping my gut is telling me the right thing! I’d obviously be happy with either but still a tough decision to make.
    I have the same dillema for UCD and RCSI, I've also placed UCD as my first pick.
    Either way, depending on your gamsat score, you can receive an offer for both, one or neither RCSI/UCD, regardless of position you place them on

i received a text on my mobile to check my emails for this message, I was wondering if all applicants received it too

Yeah I reckon it was just a generic email sent to all applicants who had any limerick courses down because it didn’t seem specific to GEM at all I didn’t think. Good to know that other people are in similar dilemmas regarding preferences! That’s interesting that we can get offers for both; I had thought it was similar to traditional CAO where we just get offered the highest of our preferences that we have enough points for. It’s crazy we have to wait till August 1st to get an offer 😳

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Rainbowdash1

I didn't think that there'd be an offer for second choice if you get first choice.

I think the only way you get second choice offer is if your score is high enough for second choice and not high enough for first choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 GEM1996

"The Graduate Medicine institutions meet in July to jointly assess applications. CAO will email all applicants with the Graduate Medicine institutions’ joint decision concerning your academic eligibility and / or EU status."

Has anybody received an email from the CAO yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭indiep

6 am August 2nd right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 GEM1996

indiep wrote: »
    6 am August 2nd right?

That’s when offers are out but they email you before then to confirm they’ve reviewed your transcripts and other documents. I haven’t received an email yet...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Kirby2k07

Still waiting to actually receive my transcript from college so I can send it to the CAO, so I doubt they'll be issuing any emails until after that document deadline of July 15th.

GEM1996 wrote: »
    "The Graduate Medicine institutions meet in July to jointly assess applications. CAO will email all applicants with the Graduate Medicine institutions’ joint decision concerning your academic eligibility and / or EU status."

Has anybody received an email from the CAO yet?
    Nope not yet

Very random question, to anyone sending off their transcript documents, it never says explicitly in this form http://www2.cao.ie/downloads/documents/2018/GraduateEntryMedicine2018.pdf that we provide our CAO number enclosed with our supporting documents.
    Am I wrong in presuming they can allocate documents by your name on them alone, in addition to the description of the documents we provided on our online CAO application profile?

Kirby2k07 wrote: »
    Very random question, to anyone sending off their transcript documents, it never says explicitly in this form http://www2.cao.ie/downloads/documents/2018/GraduateEntryMedicine2018.pdf that we provide our CAO number enclosed with our supporting documents.
    Am I wrong in presuming they can allocate documents by your name on them alone, in addition to the description of the documents we provided on our online CAO application profile?
    Are you are 2018/2019 applicant? If so then you should've sent your transcripts months ago, especially if you hadn't completed your under-grad, didn't you send transcripts from previous years completed?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 debbysoap

Are you are 2018/2019 applicant? If so then you should've sent your transcripts months ago, especially if you hadn't completed your under-grad, didn't you send transcripts from previous years completed?

I spoke to a CAO personnel: transcripts for all years are not due until next Sunday, probably to accommodate soon-to-be graduates who’ve to wait until late June/Early July for final transcripts :)

@Kirby2k07 it’s probably best to include a note with your CAO number (to be safe) explaining what documents you’ve sent off to them, in a stamped envelope. They’ll date stamp the note & send it back to your correspondence address.

debbysoap wrote: »

I spoke to a CAO personnel: transcripts for all years are not due until next Sunday, probably to accommodate soon-to-be graduates who’ve to wait until late June/Early July for final transcripts :)

@Kirby2k07 it’s probably best to include a note with your CAO number (to be safe) explaining what documents you’ve sent off to them, in a stamped envelope. They’ll date stamp the note & send it back to your correspondence address.
    ohh that makes sense, good luck! :)

debbysoap wrote: »

Ah. It only dawned on me about 20 seconds after dropping the envelope in the postbox that I didn't include my CAO number in the note I left inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 moss house

In spite of extensive searching I can’t find a mention of of possible cuts offs. Starting to get anxious and grasping at straws. I read last week when A offers were announced that there was a slight decrease in applications for medicine ,however can’t see it making any significant difference in final outcomes. Roll on August second in the meantime I am trying to be positive with my 55 that it might just get me into Ul. All the best to everybody in the same boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Tka1

What do people think of a score of 53 being potentially accepted into UL this year? Really not savouring the thought of repeating the gamsat!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭indiep

Someone got into UL last year with 53 so fingers crossed for you :)

Advertisement