Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

does anyone buy CDs anymore

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Because it's too much hassle and the sound quality can be shyte?

It only takes a few seconds with a decent internet connection and the quality is good if you get a good source.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

RayM wrote: »
    I know it's illegal, but I prefer to tape songs off the radio onto a C90 cassette.

Did this post fall into 2016 from 1987? Lol:D

I used to do this too as a young teenager. The DJ talking over the start/end of the song was annoying though!:pac:

I have about 300 CDs in my collection but haven't bought one in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I don't know why anyone bothers with itunes or Spotify when you can just rip songs from Youtube for free.
    Because ripped YouTube tracks sound crap. Always. Compressed to within an inch of tolerability. I like quality music through a high end system, and no matter how good the amp and speakers, shyte in, shyte out.

Also don't jump on me for saying this but I still think CD has the superior sound quality.

It sure does, depending on the definition of quality.

endacl wrote: »
    Because ripped YouTube tracks sound crap. Always. Compressed to within an inch of tolerability. I like quality music through a high end system, and no matter how good the amp and speakers, shyte in, shyte out.

I dunno, maybe I'm easy to please but I think they sound fine. Then again I'm not the sort that goes around with beats headphones. A simple set of earphones and my phone is good enough for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,293 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Robsweezie wrote: »
    went into golden discs recently and got 3 for €12 deal. do you bother with CDs anymore or is it exclusively itunes, spotify etc. for your music?

i like the old school element of having the physical product in front of me with the artwork and disc. but up until now i haven't been buying them.

When I was a lad - old school meant vinyl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

My ears can tolerate mp3s but when I ripped music from decent sources on YouTube I still thought it sounded awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,380 ✭✭✭cml387

In the old days the music was recorded on a tape recorder which translated the sound directly into a magnetic analogue format.
    The master tape was then used to manufacture a master audio disk with analogue grooves.
    The master disk was pressed to generate sub masters which were used to press the actual vinyl you bought.

So there was a direct link from the original to the consumer.

Now there's no such link the music is chopped up and sampled to create a set of binary numbers (incidentally that's the reason why the modern craze for vinyl records is a sham, all the previous recording stages are digitally encoded).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

Physical media disgusts me now, its just clutter. I couldnt watch something thats only dvd quality anyways, and blu ray was too expensive last I looked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I buy CDs.
    Yep

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

I use them to scare de birds away...

...not by attaching to string on an outside tree, but by playing them hulio' de glaziers greatest hits on loop.
    "Of all de girls I've loved before...de de de dee de de"

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i buy them on occasion

and rip them to my mp3 player

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭zSparc

I do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭RainMakerToo

RayM wrote: »
    I know it's illegal, but I prefer to tape songs off the radio onto a C90 cassette.

C60! much better quality that your C90s! :) BASF, TDK - names that mean nothing now :D

Honestly though, i remember listening to tapes a lot back in the 80s and i dont know if walkman or headphone quality just got too much for the poor old cassette but it got to the stage that when listening to something on one side you could hear a slight "echo" of the track on the other side! used to drive me mad - i would be trying to figure out what the other song was!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

you can get flac and direct cd rips as a dl though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Until last year I only bought the occasional CD because there were no decent record shops around here. Then I made an eBay and an Amazon account. I had never previously bought anything online until then. I buy a lot of used CDs from eBay. You can get them for as little as €3. I occasionally buy new CDs too. Recently I bought an album by Susanne Sundfor. It was so good I bought another two of her albums.

I don't get why anyone would buy music from iTunes or mp3s from the likes of Amazon. I've seen albums on iTunes that work out a lot more expensive than it would to buy the CD. I used to consider the likes of Napster as the modern equivalent of taping music from the radio. The sound quality was crap but it was free. Why anyone would actually pay for it is beyond me.

I've never understood the appeal of listening to music through crappy earphones on an iPod either. I like to listen to an album from beginning to end through a decent pair of headphones on my stereo. It amazes me how little interest people have in music nowadays. Most people don't even know the difference between earphones and headphones. The upside of this is that people consider their CDs worthless so rip them and sell them, which is how they end up on eBay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I got this in the post from eBay this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Brindor

Sometimes, but these days I often just loan a CD from the wee library and Rip it to my hearts content.
    Of course, I could always just Torrent and save the bother of ordering from the Library, which is, to be fair, on the same moral horizion as ripping CDs from the Library.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

If I really like a group I've been listening/dancing to and they've got CDs for sale, I'll usually buy one so as to have something tangible to take away with me ... and to support them financially, seeing as their share of a 5€ entry (if there is any) will be negligible. The most recent one would have been last Saturday, but the group concerned gave it to me for free in exchange for my video footage. I probably buy one every two months or thereabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I bought 5 CDs for a tenner in tesco sale the other week, first time buying them in years....

Admittedly only got them as they were decent and 2 quid, I had 3 of them in my Google music anyway...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Not often but definitely yes.

If I listen to music via spotify etc I never, ever listen to the whole album just the songs that jump out at me immediately which is a shame as most of the music I like most did not jump out at me immediately when I first listened to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

The last cd I bought was Invaders Must Die by The Prodigy. 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,341 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I'm personally heading back to CD's myself after trying music streaming & downloading for 2 years.

Some of my albums on Groove got taken off me either due to some copyright claim or from being pulled down from sale altogether. This prevented me from listening to the tracks again that I already purchased as a download. I had lost between 50 to 100 tracks in the process so I was royally screwed from not getting them back as a download anymore.

I don't like paying for things twice for stuff I already own because that for me is a very expensive to do.

As well as that; my broadband is pretty crap for streaming music. I have to prioritize it for other things now.

Getting back on the CD has given me back a lot of benefits as I got a few of them in the sales up until recently.

Buying film & video soundtracks is usually the main music I would buy nowadays. Some of them I have bought were cheap & I'm very happy with them. The cheapest one I got was in HMV which was a film box set of Alan Patridge Alpha Papa. I got the soundtrack CD included with the DVD & Blu-ray for only €1.50 after being reduced from a fiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I dunno, maybe I'm easy to please but I think they sound fine. Then again I'm not the sort that goes around with beats headphones. A simple set of earphones and my phone is good enough for me.

You sound like the sort who would have a pair of Beats...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,916 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Recommend any online retailers for cds? Wanna order something. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭hadoken13

I still buy CDs. I don't subscribe to any music services, but I will download a music from a band I haven't heard before and if I like them, I'll buy their CD.

So, you're not the sort who listens to music on bass heavy overpriced headphones? You prefer 'does the job' headphones, compressed files, and your phone as a source?

You probably would be wasting your money on physical media...

:D

Tigger wrote: »
    you can get flac and direct cd rips as a dl though
    You can, but I'd imagine that the majority people who are aware of quality issues in most digitalmusic file formats aren't using YouTube downloads as their primary source?

• Advertisement

So, you're not the sort who listens to music on bass heavy overpriced headphones? You prefer 'does the job' headphones, compressed files, and your phone as a source?

You probably would be wasting your money on physical media...

:D

Exactly. You can keep your doctor dre and your scoopy scoopy dog dogs.

Advertisement