Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

does anyone buy CDs anymore

Options
  • 14-10-2016 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭

went into golden discs recently and got 3 for €12 deal. do you bother with CDs anymore or is it exclusively itunes, spotify etc. for your music?

i like the old school element of having the physical product in front of me with the artwork and disc. but up until now i haven't been buying them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

No, last time I went to buy a CD when I found the music I liked I realised I was in the classic or golden oldy section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Olishi4

No I never really buy cds anymore. I use to spend ages in CD shops picking them out.

A few years ago I was at a house party and the lad had a huge collection of his old video tapes and I was laughing because they took up so much room but he looked at me like I was crazy when I said "would you not just get rid of them now?"

Now I have cd shelves in my sitting room with about a 1000 cds and the majority of them saved on an iPod but I can't part with them :/:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Spotify for being outside, at home etc
    CDs for the car, even though in my OHs car it has Bluetooth on the stereo so you can listen to Spotify there too but I like CDs for car.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Well over 10 years since I last bought one.

I listed to stuff on an mp3 player or on the computer these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

People buy cds as presents, or if you are big fan of a certain band.
    Theres millions of cds sold ,or you might buy a bands greatest hits .
    streaming is popular but some people live in area,s wheres theres no 3g signal.its cheaper to buy a cd in hmv than to buy 8 songs on itunes .

• Advertisement

I used to love buying them as a student. I used to love being able to buy anything as a student, come to think of it.

I don't buy them for myself any more, but my dad likes to have the physical item and won't admit it but is a little diffident about streaming music, so I buy them for him if I know he likes something in particular. My granny also loves her CD's, mostly golden-age movie soundtracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

I haven't bought any in years, and I used to buy loads when I was younger. I mainly use Spotify now.

Lexie, you can buy cables so you can connect your phone or mp3 player with the headphone jack on your car stereo :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Yes, but not with the same frequency that I used too - I used to buy three or four a week for years.

I enjoy owning lots of music.I still knock rakes of use out of Spotify, Youtube and downloads, but if I really like something I'll buy it.

I tend to care more about the music I physically own - I'll put greater time and effort into listening too it. For me, stuff that I own exclusively digitally can feel a bit throwaway. I might "own" it but it isn't part of my collection.

Obviously, there's no going back to people buying physical copies of CDs en masse, that ship has largely sailed and the wide availability of music these days is great, compared to what it was. But I often wonder does music mean as much to people these days, now that we are saturated in it, as it used to up until just a few years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Ted111

Flimsy piece of plastic lasts a few plays before being scratched, smudged or cracked.
    Not to mention CD Degradation

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

I collect them. Mostly 80's pressings.
    A lot of the West German and Japanese 80's pressings go for three and four figure sums now.
    A lot of 80's CD prices surpass collectable vinyl now.
    SACD's go for astronomical figures too these days. Especially the early multichannel releases.
    I cleared out the Irish record stores of SACD's six or seven years ago. I Made thousands flipping a lot of them on eBay and kept the really good ones.
    I should have held on to them. They have rocketed in price even since then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭OU812

Don't even have a CD player anymore. Everything is digital. Have a couple of hundred of them in the attic. That I want to sell but only as a job lot. If you're gonna pay me 50c a disk you can take the crap with the limited editions.

Looked at my iTunes most played list the other day and I only listen to about a dozen of them anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

CD.....that the thing that went in the vhs player

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

I so buy them. Love having the physical album in my hand with the art work.
    I then put them on iTunes and never use the cd again. Which is a bit silly I know.

Am I the only one who hates iTunes?

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭jackwigan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I buy CD's on a regular basis, I also have iTunes, but I much prefer the versatility of owning a CD. I bought a phone recently which can hold up to 130 gb or more, but my iPod is only 16gb so it's really awesome to have. I like going into the music shop to listen to CD's etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Once in a blue moon from charity shops!

some real gems for next to nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I don't know why anyone bothers with itunes or Spotify when you can just rip songs from Youtube for free.

The last CD I bought was Metallica's Death Magnetic. I don't even listen to metal anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Donutz

Haven't bought a cd in years. Haven't even bought any downloads since I discovered spotify.

Incidently, I was cleaning out my locker at work last week and found a cassette copy of Parachutes from Coldplay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Candie wrote: »
    Am I the only one who hates iTunes?
    No

• Registered Users Posts: 22,255 ✭✭✭✭endacl

If there's no vinyl release.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Yep, I still buy albums. I have an album collection, and I like to collect the albums of my favorite bands. I just wouldn't feel satisfied if I didn't own the album itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

I have a listen online and if I really like something I buy the Album. I like having a physical copy.

And I don't mind paying an act for the work they have done creating an album

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I listen to most of my music on Spotify now and if there's an album I really like I'll buy it. Doesn't happen very often these days though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I know it's illegal, but I prefer to tape songs off the radio onto a C90 cassette.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

RayM wrote: »
    I know it's illegal, but I prefer to tape songs off the radio onto a C90 cassette.

I have a rake of tapes in a box in the attic. 'Mix' tapes from the Larry Gogan show circa 1984. Must take one down sometime for a cringe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I don't know why anyone bothers with itunes or Spotify when you can just rip songs from Youtube for free. .

Because it's too much hassle and the sound quality can be shyte?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭cml387

RayM wrote: »

Recording the top 20 on a casette player microphone stuck in front of a long wave radio tuned to BBC Radio 2 (see Radio 1), Those were the days.:)

The rot started when they brought in casettes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I've a massive collection that I still add to when I can. Some people collect stamps or coins I collect physical copies of music recordings.

Also don't jump on me for saying this but I still think CD has the superior sound quality.

Advertisement