Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

does anyone buy CDs anymore

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Vinyl sounds fantastic and depending on how it's recorded, mixed and mastered can sound better than the Cd of the same album.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

Bret Hart wrote: »
    PucaMama wrote: »
    Vinyl is more sturdy than cds in my opinion

How exactly are they more sturdy than CDs ?

They just are

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

PucaMama wrote: »
    They just are

Give me a few examples then or should I list them out for you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭The Legend Of Kira

I buy cds now & again, sometimes I buy a reused cds for €1.50 in Dealz, two weeks ago when Tesco were selling five cds/five dvds for €10 in a stock clearance I bought a few cds that day, with Itunes there were melodic death metal albums I purchased from Itunes a few years ago that are no longer available on the Irish Itunes store.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

My car only accepts tapes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,255 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Such as what ?

As a 'for example' an amplifier will have to work a lot harder for the same volume from a vinyl album as a CD. Also, it presents the ear with a zero sampling rate. In addition, they look better on a shelf and a gatefold sleeve is brilliant for rolling a joint on. I don't do that last bit any more, but it's still a valid point.

How exactly are they more “sturdy” than CDs ?

One is more inclined to take care of them.

How very hipster of you.

This one bugs me. I bought my first album in 1982. On vinyl. I wasn't a hipster then. I continued buying vinyl after the release of cds. Because I collected vinyl and liked big metal band artwork. I wasn't a hipster then. After vinyl nearly died off, I bought cds. Still not a hipster. I continued to buy vinyl when available. Because I liked vinyl. I loved the 2nd hand boom towards the end of the 90s, when all and sundry were selling their collections to buy cds. Picked up loads then. I still buy it now. Because I like it. Because it sounds better. And I'm still not a hipster. I'm too old to be a hipster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

Some people, myself included, find vinyl very 'collectible'. They look cool, sound great and have a certain robustness that just satisfies. I buy most of my music on vinyl now and the whole collectability thing, along with the large artwork, has me buying into genres of music that didn't interest me previously. I'm spending more money on smaller artists than ever before, I'm really listening to albums for the first time in years and my taste in music is developing more and more every day. Hipster? Whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Academic

I still buy CDs.

Sound quality is my primary concern, and CDs beat downloadable formats like mp3 hands down in that respect.

Vinyl can be even better, or it can be much worse. It depends on the engineering, quality of the pressing, and the condition of the disc.

I listen mostly to classical, so perhaps that's relevant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Pickpocket wrote: »
    Some people, myself included, find vinyl very 'collectible'. They look cool, sound great and have a certain robustness that just satisfies. I buy most of my music on vinyl now and the whole collectability thing, along with the large artwork, has me buying into genres of music that didn't interest me previously. I'm spending more money on smaller artists than ever before, I'm really listening to albums for the first time in years and my taste in music is developing more and more every day. Hipster? Whatever.

But what about the weight of new vinyl

But what about the weight of new vinyl

What do you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Rare music, Irish bands, odd genres, folk etc.. surprising amount of music not really available as a digital format.

Last few Irish purchases have been off the artists themselves, often from them, with a small note saying thank you, Bandcamp etc.

Discogs is great for that. I bought Engine Alley's second album (Shot in the Light) off someone in Bordeaux, of all places.. and an obscure RTE CD from someone in Kentucky, USA, for my Mum.

I can't remember when I last purchased a CD in a shop.

EDIT: I don't understand why anyone would invest in vinyl music mastered from digital recordings.

I grew up with vinyl. If everything in the recording process is analog, some of the arguments hold, but if you're cutting vinyl from a modern all digital recording. [shrug] It's your money..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I don't have anything that plays CDs any more. Hifi with a tape deck and turntable, laptop with no disc drive, car stereo with a USB plug and aux input.

If I'm looking for the appeal of having the physical copy of an album, I'd buy the vinyl. If not, I'd use soulseek and get high quality mp3s.

Academic wrote: »
    I still buy CDs.

Sound quality is my primary concern, and CDs beat downloadable formats like mp3 hands down in that respect.

Vinyl can be even better, or it can be much worse. It depends on the engineering, quality of the pressing, and the condition of the disc.

I listen mostly to classical, so perhaps that's relevant.

Funny that, actually. I buy classical on CD. Especially chamber and solo works.

TPD wrote: »
    I don't have anything that plays CDs any more. Hifi with a tape deck and turntable, laptop with no disc drive, car stereo with a USB plug and aux input.

If I'm looking for the appeal of having the physical copy of an album, I'd buy the vinyl. If not, I'd use soulseek and get high quality mp3s.

I've yet to hear a high quality MP3.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Occasionally but just nostalgic purchases, for example, box sets that is more like finally buying the stuff I couldn't afford as a kid.

As much as I initially derided streaming and digital music, it's just so bloody handy.

Amalgam wrote: »
    EDIT: I don't understand why anyone would invest in vinyl music mastered from digital recordings.

That's presupposing that everyone that buys vinyl is doing so for audio quality, which quite clearly isn't the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

I don't understand why anyone would invest in vinyl music mastered from digital recordings.
    Digital studio masters have a significantly higher bitrate that what you get on a CD. Even though vinyl mastered from an analogue recording is still going to sound better, vinyl mastered from a digital recording is still going to sound better than a CD as there's no further data loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

If you're happy with vinyl as a format , go for it.
    Digital studio masters have a significantly higher bitrate that what you get on a CD. Even though vinyl mastered from an analogue recording is still going to sound better, vinyl mastered from a digital recording is still going to sound better than a CD as there's no further data loss.

I don't know where to start with your post, to be honest. I disagree with it totally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 AvBBrother

No, I do not buy CDs anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

I don't know where to start with your post, to be honest. I disagree with it totally.
    What is there to disagree with?

Popcorn time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

Not in about 10 years, it's all downloads now. Have a huge crate of CDs in the attic.

Advertisement