Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

Waffleon wrote: »
    Hi. I also just signed up for the Rylane mast due to go live next month. Does anyone have any details on the model of indoor router used and the connection method to the outside antenna...I presume rj45. I may wish to keep my existing router as the WiFi range is exceptional...just vying my opinions.
    Mine is a Greenpacket router (system status page says WN-600), I just disabled the WiFi and connected my router (Asus NT-R66U) for exactly that reason. I don't think you can replace the supplied router ( I was told it provides power to the outside unit & it also provides VOIP functionality).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

morgana wrote: »
    Mine is a Greenpacket router (system status page says WN-600), I just disabled the WiFi and connected my router (Asus NT-R66U) for exactly that reason. I don't think you can replace the supplied router ( I was told it provides power to the outside unit & it also provides VOIP functionality).

any pics or links to manuals of the WN-600? Does it supply power to the external unit via RJ45?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Waffleon

Thanks Morgana. Could you post a few pictures of the indoor unit please. I emailed imagine looking for some info on the router and was informed that it is now going to be a Gemtek router from now on. I tried researching both router types and it was quite difficult to find any info online. I would prefer the option to purchase my own equipment to improve reliability of service and general equipment quality. I don't have any reason to knock the supplied router brand but in my experience they are normally cheap "will do the job....just" and I totally understand why. How are your speeds now. I am currently an Airwave customer and can honestly say the service was fantastic. 12 meg and phone for 59 Euro. Extremely reliable and excellent customer service. However I find it difficult not to try imagine Ltd for more than twice the speed at the same price. Airwaves did however provide enterprise grade hardware by ubiquity.....reliable would be an understatement.

Here are some pics - not the greatest, hopefully you can see what you need.

y3mzfPkGTWcw9kRwY-afrg5ml45P89wDi9C4DHdst1k-NTGzFRFXiFe0Q9ysptyP5kg1ViH4TjhHBoCQ1gnEp3lNG_mGKiWZjutPw8VZJ18DQOAM3SZ_8yy_Jm8lJIappnmBjvg1s3tk3PuARdwLdHB3QB2VUZtmm-Sy5HJB4YzeUE?width=660&height=372&cropmode=none

y3mtfV_cNy4A-lfxqouBnv453xyEbEcGtw2Yr3vb0iwuPqWw0ymCZUQ6jvHLHC_xV3ZJoQ1ClEPwkHrXKT8tmaRm8nRc2mSjo8gDVqogsGor7RLefeJr-7FaDNoPpIxmmmj8AxlH7JVGUeka4JeSLUewSG246vfQMxhPa3ghw7B6ZM?width=660&height=372&cropmode=none

y3m5Y5BXqUJQqtNFDmIJY75UbmUzmEreGc7PtJ2Oa8ijMpFq0M7UaQH9j_NiMdLRcaPSMMaBIplMKHAOTE1h8E0tvYVygX98djOztTxVpgcOV6ZvATfaC5sNzI5-c3_C8J1N_MAFRBVqQS-BvudoA0W4-RcrtpVlzkIlQxsBIjZE8s?width=660&height=372&cropmode=none

I could not find any meaningful info on the router either, and believe me, I searched high and low for it :P. Any info is from the Philippines and Malaysia where this technology seems to be wide-spread. I happened to find the router access combo by trial and error (!) but heard they have changed that since :P
    I am using my Asus NT N66U for its strong wireless and NAS.

I tested the supplied router's wireless, and while not bad, the Asus is better. The supplied router is still needed for Voip functions - although I probably could continue to use my old PAP with the relevant setup info.

I am still very happy with the service, assuming that the Bweeng mast is at or close to capacity, speeds average between 35 and 45 Mbps with occasional outliers at both ends. True to their promise, it has almost never dropped below 30 Mbps and uptime in the last few weeks has been 100%.
    Speedtest History
    Funny side note: Since I posted this, speed tests suddenly go above 50 Mbps which they hadn't done for a while. Draw your own conclusions. :P

Coming from Ripplecom averaging a speed of 5 Mbps and pathetic download caps, this has been a huge change. Bandwidth is no longer an issue, we can stream and play simultaneously without problems. We changed Netflix to standard quality which is perfectly fine for us and even large game downloads happen very quickly in contrast to the major balancing operation it used to be (bandwidth, time & cap wise).

Can't fault their CS either, on the one occasion I had reason to contact them, they were courteous and eager to solve the problem (which turned out to be a problem at the Bweeng mast, they didn't seem to access at the time to that data).
    I would presume that their systems have matured somewhat by now as well as my area was one of the first two of the roll-out.

Thanks again Morgana.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭kazoo106

Interesting that no one has addressed the elephant in the room here. The Imagine 3.5/3.6GHz FWALA license expires on 31st July 2017.
    On that date, the operator must switch off all equipment or be faced with the wrath of the Wireless Telegraphy act by ComReg.

Imagine are obviously adopting an approach whereby they lobby for a license extension in a years time. The chances of this happening are minimal and the most likely outcome will be similar to what happened with the MMDS last month.

This license will be auctioned next year - Imagine are obviously very sure they are going to win this !

Well from my point of view I think comreg and the authorities should praise imagine for ploughing ahead and providing for so many people what the last few governments have promised but , as usual, failed to deliver on. I for one am sick of lads at work boasting about their 100meg upc broadband while we in the sticks are limited to less than 10. If imagine are true to their word, are reliable, and don't fall into the oversubscription trap I think I will be a very happy customer indeed...ðŸ˜႒

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭kazoo106

I totally agree with the fact that this band should be made available for TDD-LTE. However this does not change the facts, no matter how well this works or how one commends Imagine - this license expires in July 2017. If Imagine continue to offer service after that date they will be in breach of the Broadcasting and Wireless Telegrapy act 1988 - in effect a broadband pirate !
    It will be very interesting to see what happens if they have thousands of customers by that date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,639 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

http://www.comreg.ie/publications/draft_information_memorandum_-_proposed_3_6_ghz_band_spectrum_award.583.105082.p.html

This is Comreg current position on the auctioning of the band
    While ComReg cannot provide further clarity on the overall timelines at this juncture, as this will depend, among other things, on the nature of responses received, ComReg would reiterate that it remains conscious of the expiry of existing 3.6 GHz licences in July 2017 and is working towards providing clarity on the future of the 3.6 GHz Band as far as possible significantly in advance of this date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Imagine are playing a clever game here. They know that if they connect several thousand rural users to a service infinitely better than the existing service if any and then "the government" try and take it away every TD from outside the pale will raise hell.

• Advertisement

Let alone the users of the service ! And if Imagine can continue how they started (good product & customer service), their customers will raise even more hell :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

maybe this thread should be renamed so that its no longer specific to North/East Cork? others in areas its rolling out may miss the discussion.
    @morgana can you edit the title still?

Nope, but I messaged the mods and requested a change of thread title to Imagine LTE Rural Broadband.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭irishchris

@morgana or anyone who is currently using this service. As it has now been live for many for a while would someone be able to post a speedtest taken at peak times such as 8/9PM

irishchris wrote: »
    @morgana or anyone who is currently using this service. As it has now been live for many for a while would someone be able to post a speedtest taken at peak times such as 8/9PM

She's posted and stated speeds several times already.

ED E wrote: »
    She's posted and stated speeds several times already.

Thanks for that Ed, was asking for updated speed result now that the service has been active a while and subscribers should be nearer the maximum of the mast. If I put you out with my question I apologise but I am about to be installed soon and with it being an 18 month contract I would like to see how the service hold up under increased strain

Could you ask for anything more like...
    Speedtest History

Thank you Ed E :P -
    Also, when I run a test at peak time this usually means I have other things going on at the same time (MMO, Netflix) so its not an absolute reading without anything else consuming bandwidth.

Could you ask for anything more like...

I missed the speedtest result in the middle of that long post. Thanks for removing all the long excess and highlighting that small part. Appreciate that.

Nice long history of speed results there Morgana. Thanks for that really helpful screengrab Morgana as it really helps to give confidence in what looks like an excellent service by imagine

y3mzfPkGTWcw9kRwY-afrg5ml45P89wDi9C4DHdst1k-NTGzFRFXiFe0Q9ysptyP5kg1ViH4TjhHBoCQ1gnEp3lNG_mGKiWZjutPw8VZJ18DQOAM3SZ_8yy_Jm8lJIappnmBjvg1s3tk3PuARdwLdHB3QB2VUZtmm-Sy5HJB4YzeUE?width=660&height=372&cropmode=none

y3mtfV_cNy4A-lfxqouBnv453xyEbEcGtw2Yr3vb0iwuPqWw0ymCZUQ6jvHLHC_xV3ZJoQ1ClEPwkHrXKT8tmaRm8nRc2mSjo8gDVqogsGor7RLefeJr-7FaDNoPpIxmmmj8AxlH7JVGUeka4JeSLUewSG246vfQMxhPa3ghw7B6ZM?width=660&height=372&cropmode=none

y3m5Y5BXqUJQqtNFDmIJY75UbmUzmEreGc7PtJ2Oa8ijMpFq0M7UaQH9j_NiMdLRcaPSMMaBIplMKHAOTE1h8E0tvYVygX98djOztTxVpgcOV6ZvATfaC5sNzI5-c3_C8J1N_MAFRBVqQS-BvudoA0W4-RcrtpVlzkIlQxsBIjZE8s?width=660&height=372&cropmode=none

I could not find any meaningful info on the router either, and believe me, I searched high and low for it :P. Any info is from the Philippines and Malaysia where this technology seems to be wide-spread. I happened to find the router access combo by trial and error (!) but heard they have changed that since :P
    I am using my Asus NT N66U for its strong wireless and NAS.

I tested the supplied router's wireless, and while not bad, the Asus is better. The supplied router is still needed for Voip functions - although I probably could continue to use my old PAP with the relevant setup info.

I am still very happy with the service, assuming that the Bweeng mast is at or close to capacity, speeds average between 35 and 45 Mbps with occasional outliers at both ends. True to their promise, it has almost never dropped below 30 Mbps and uptime in the last few weeks has been 100%.
    Speedtest History
    Funny side note: Since I posted this, speed tests suddenly go above 50 Mbps which they hadn't done for a while. Draw your own conclusions. :P

Coming from Ripplecom averaging a speed of 5 Mbps and pathetic download caps, this has been a huge change. Bandwidth is no longer an issue, we can stream and play simultaneously without problems. We changed Netflix to standard quality which is perfectly fine for us and even large game downloads happen very quickly in contrast to the major balancing operation it used to be (bandwidth, time & cap wise).

Can't fault their CS either, on the one occasion I had reason to contact them, they were courteous and eager to solve the problem (which turned out to be a problem at the Bweeng mast, they didn't seem to access at the time to that data).
    I would presume that their systems have matured somewhat by now as well as my area was one of the first two of the roll-out.

• Advertisement

Thank you Ed E :P -
    Also, when I run a test at peak time this usually means I have other things going on at the same time (MMO, Netflix) so its not an absolute reading without anything else consuming bandwidth.

Thanks yet again. I had noticed the speeds dropping below 30mbs at peak times around 9pm but that explains it if you have Netflix etc consuming bandwidth at the time. Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

This looks promising. Realistically this is the only realistic way of getting decent reliable speeds to rural areas at the moment. As long as the base stations are not oversubscribed and are provisioned with sufficient backhaul it's a very nice setup. I was always of the opinion that well managed WISPS are a good way to bridge rural last mile connections. If 30Mbit is as low as it goes, that is a very good starting point and sufficient for the vast majority of users at present.

Just noticed that imagine have updated their coverage maps today. Nice to see coverage growing steadily http://www.imagine.ie/lte-fibre-coverage/lte-fibre-broadband-galway/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭leex

Just noticed that imagine have updated their coverage maps today. Nice to see coverage growing steadily http://www.imagine.ie/lte-fibre-coverage/lte-fibre-broadband-galway/

Not sure how accurate it is as my general location is not on the coverage map but Imagine have a lot of the LTE signs on the backroads around the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Does anyone know whether LTE should be ok to run IPTV?

irishfeen wrote: »
    Does anyone know whether LTE should be ok to run IPTV?

This deployment (well managed TDD) yes but beware that 20GB/day isnt huge for 1080p TV and your day to day internet.

• Advertisement

And another update: After just having had a short (< 10 minutes) outage, I got the following unsolicited text from Imagine:
    "Due to high demand, we are upgrading our network in your area increasing capacity. While we carry out this work, you may experience intermittent service over the next 30 minutes ".
    Impressed yet again with their customer service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭diego_b

Hi, I got LTE installed today...having a few issues with getting my iPad connected.....all other devices working fine.
    The engineer did not leave a box or instructions for the router, can anyone tell how I can log on. IP address and username/password to use please.

What make / model is the router. Have you any pictures of it...??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭diego_b

What make / model is the router. Have you any pictures of it...??

There is no make on it, just a model number and can't find anything on line for it. I rang Imagine and they say they are not allowing customers to log on so they did it remotely and I am sorted now.

This deployment (well managed TDD) yes but beware that 20GB/day isnt huge for 1080p TV and your day to day internet.
    Being honest it would only be for the odd football game so nothing major, if it could play 1080p TV without stopping it would be an exceptional service! Here's hoping!

I am still waiting for installation so I would be long finding out :)

• Advertisement

And another update: After just having had a short (< 10 minutes) outage, I got the following unsolicited text from Imagine:
    "Due to high demand, we are upgrading our network in your area increasing capacity. While we carry out this work, you may experience intermittent service over the next 30 minutes ".
    Impressed yet again with their customer service.
    That's on my behalf I hope :) .. Let's hope the upgrade serves us all well around Bweeng and they don't overload the mast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭Magic ]=)

leex wrote: »
    Signed up for a Galway connection also. Interesting thing is all marketing material states range is 13km and I am nearer to 18km from Tonabrooky mast. Eircode was provided to them. Am hoping it will be cost neutral if I can cancel my existing landline/dsl connection.

Hi leex,
    any progress with your installation ?

I'm in similar situation 20km from Imagine's nearest mast in Abbeyknockmoy.

Also hoping to hear about the experience with broadband from someone located anywhere between Galway and Headford.

Nothing yet. Last contact I had with them was about a week ago when they told me I should get an install this week. There are multiple LTE signs on the rural roads near me now so I am optimistic that they have local tests done and signal should be ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

Hi. I also just signed up for the Rylane mast due to go live next month. Does anyone have any details on the model of indoor router used and the connection method to the outside antenna...I presume rj45. I may wish to keep my existing router as the WiFi range is exceptional...just vying my opinions.

Hi Waffleon,

Where did you see or hear about this Rylane mast? I'm about 10kms from Rylane and they told me on their Live Chat that they are going live in my area in mid-July. I'm wondering if he's referring to this Rylane mast?

"Magic wrote:
    =);99737155"]Hi leex,
    any progress with your installation ?

I'm in similar situation 20km from Imagine's nearest mast in Abbeyknockmoy.

Also hoping to hear about the experience with broadband from someone located anywhere between Galway and Headford.

Imagine on live chat have said the abbeyknockmoy mast has been delayed by 3 weeks and will be mid July now before going live

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Gwynston

'Magic wrote:
    =);99737155']
    I'm about half way down road between Loughgeorge and Corandulla and am very interested in this (lots of signs at the head of the road). But there are two snags:

1. I signed up to an 18mo Eir contract last Autumn on the promise of better fixed line DSL broadband speed, which of course didn't happen. Still getting around 1 meg (+/- 0.5 meg) :mad:

2. Although our road isn't that hilly, we're partially in the shadow of a couple of inclines, so I'm not sure if the signal from Cashla will work even though it's less than 10km away.

e.g. we get very variable mobile coverage in our little area. I think our Vodafone signal comes from the mast at Loughgeorge and all bands can be intermittent. When the weather's good, I can sometimes get a H+ signal and if I hold my phone out of the top floor window on the end of a selfie stick, I have even been known to successfully run a >20meg Speedtest! ;)

Anyone know if the Imagine unit can be mounted on a high pole?

Gwynston wrote: »
    I'm about half way down road between Loughgeorge and Corandulla and am very interested in this (lots of signs at the head of the road). But there are two snags:

1. I signed up to an 18mo Eir contract last Autumn on the promise of better fixed line DSL broadband speed, which of course didn't happen. Still getting around 1 meg (+/- 0.5 meg) :mad:

2. Although our road isn't that hilly, we're partially in the shadow of a couple of inclines, so I'm not sure if the signal from Cashla will work even though it's less than 10km away.

e.g. we get very variable mobile coverage in our little area. I think our Vodafone signal comes from the mast at Loughgeorge and all bands can be intermittent. When the weather's good, I can sometimes get a H+ signal and if I hold my phone out of the top floor window on the end of a selfie stick, I have even been known to successfully run a >20meg Speedtest! ;)

Anyone know if the Imagine unit can be mounted on a high pole?

I'd be very surprised if it cant be. I see Airwire and Lightnet client antennae near me on long poles.

There are pictures of the outdoor unit in post #3. Looks like there should be no issue mounting it on a pole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭Magic ]=)

Imagine on live chat have said the abbeyknockmoy mast has been delayed by 3 weeks and will be mid July now before going live

Can wait (contract with voda ends in two months) but it seem to be a misinformation. They were ready to get me connected - to what ?

Gwynston
    I'm located east of Headford.
    Have a fixed line and vodafone at home with Dl @3Mb I'm literally the last house connected to the exchange. Have been checking Eir's fibre rollout website. For the last 18months it was saying upgrade in your area within 6months. Running out of patience with them.

@morgana would there be any problem with fitting outdoor unit on the chimney ? From where I am can barely see over small hill from the ground level in the mast direction. However view gets better from bedroom upstairs and chimney is even higher. Or should I not worry about those 5m ?

"Magic wrote:
    =);99747342"]Can wait (contract with voda ends in two months) but it seem to be a misinformation. They were ready to get me connected - to what ?

Gwynston
    I'm located east of Headford.
    Have a fixed line and vodafone at home with Dl @3Mb I'm literally the last house connected to the exchange. Have been checking Eir's fibre rollout website. For the last 18months it was saying upgrade in your area within 6months. Running out of patience with them.

@morgana would there be any problem with fitting outdoor unit on the chimney ? From where I am can barely see over small hill from the ground level in the mast direction. However view gets better from bedroom upstairs and chimney is even higher. Or should I not worry about those 5m ?

Just had a call from imagine in relation to the live chat yesterday. Apparently it was incorrect information I was given and the abbeyknockmoy mast is being built mid June and live before end of that month. I'm first in queue I was told so will let everyone know how it goes once I get connected. I will update this thread if I hear anything else in relation to the mast or any other delays

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

Where are you guys finding out about these masts that will be going active in the next few months?

Can you be sure you will get a decent service at your house from a mast if it is not active?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭dashoonage

I was just onto them there for limerick coverage. very helpful. told me it was refundable if coverage turned out to be poor.

'Magic wrote:
    =);99747342']

I have a pole on my chimney too from previous fixed wireless installations and the guys installing tried the easier and safer gable spot first which gave a good signal. It does not rely on line of sight like my previous provider.

I have a pole on my chimney too from previous fixed wireless installations and the guys installing tried the easier and safer gable spot first which gave a good signal. It does not rely on line of sight like my previous provider.

At 3600Mhz penetration is better than than 5Ghz but line of sight will still play a role. For users further out it might be required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭medoc

Imagine are limiting users per mast I presume to keep up the speed and quality for the users. If imagine wanted to propose this system as an option for the NBP how many more masts would be needed? Is there enough wireless frequency and indeed mast sites for this option to become what the NBP envisages?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

medoc wrote: »
    Imagine are limiting users per mast I presume to keep up the speed and quality for the users. If imagine wanted to propose this system as an option for the NBP how many more masts would be needed? Is there enough wireless frequency and indeed mast sites for this option to become what the NBP envisages?

The NBP as it stood last year had requirements for "future proofing" - i.e. - increasing minimum speeds over the course of the contract. The Imagine LTE solution would be unlikely to be able to achieve those economically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭rob808

medoc wrote: »
    They would need a lot more than what they have given why they need to win NBP but hope they don't rather Eir and siro win it.

morgana, any increase or decrease in speed since works to the mast in Bweeng that they informed you about last week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

polaris68 wrote: »
    Where are you guys finding out about these masts that will be going active in the next few months?
    Yes, would love to know.

• Advertisement

irishfeen wrote: »
    morgana, any increase or decrease in speed since works to the mast in Bweeng that they informed you about last week?
    KOR101 wrote: »
    Yes, would love to know.

The link is live lads, as Morgana tests the results are included. Trend is consistent, no change.

http://www.speedtest.net/results.php?ct=d&sh=ea8f1e9c6d1da05f431f9ddbbabebe23&ria=0&s=0

Advertisement