Advertisement
Where is Report Post on mobile? We've made a slight change, see here
Have your say on the future of the 'Save Draft' feature in this poll
MODs please see this information notice in the mod's forum. Thanks!
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

1457910294

Comments



  • I notice the abbeyknockmoy coverage has been removed from their site for some reason? They now have screenshots of speed tests from areas of coverage.
    Also I notice they have removed all references to their smart android box.




  • You should consider a samknows box. It'll track performance automatically and the charts generated are great to furnish support with.




  • ED E wrote: »
    You should consider a samknows box. It'll track performance automatically and the charts generated are great to furnish support with.

    But isn't samknows only for fixed line?

    I seem to recall asking for one, but was told cos I'm on FWA I was not eligible.




  • MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    But isn't samknows only for fixed line?

    I seem to recall asking for one, but was told cos I'm on FWA I was not eligible.

    No. I am on a FWA product and I have one. If they want to get a true reflection of rural connections they should not be ignoring FWA providers.




  • irishchris wrote: »
    Thanks for updating us. Let us know how you get on as hope it is an isolated tech issue and not over subscription to the mast

    Got a callback first thing this morning. To cut a long story short, turns out there is some interference in my area which they will further investigate (apparently they had similar issues in other areas and switched frequencies accordingly).

    In the meantime, they will send out an engineer to improve speeds on my end (visit now scheduled for later this afternoon).
    And while chatting with the really nice guy, we came to talk about IP address resets on power cuts or work on their side, and I will be getting a static IP :).

    They are still trying to remote tweak the receiving unit to up the speeds.
    They rang me beforehand to be prepared for short outages.
    Can't fault their CS.


  • Advertisement


  • I ordered this yesterday. Should be around 6 weeks before they build the mast though.

    Im getting a phoneline put in about 2 weeks from now to avail of fibre which is being enabled on 25th of this month.....but as Im 5.5km from cabinet I know it will be useless. They say it is 0.3Mb NGB but when the fibre is enabled it will get up to 12Mb but will be stabilised at 10Mb. I just do not believe them, fibre is useless after 2km, but I will allow them to try and I will simply cancel it if it fails to deliver.

    Really looking forward to Imagine LTE, so long as they are able to resist the industry standard practice to become greedy and oversubscribe the masts.

    I will be expecting my minimum 30Mb and I will plug in my SamKnows box which Ive never used since the day I got it about 20 months ago.




  • morgana wrote: »
    Got a callback first thing this morning. To cut a long story short, turns out there is some interference in my area which they will further investigate (apparently they had similar issues in other areas and switched frequencies accordingly).

    In the meantime, they will send out an engineer to improve speeds on my end.
    And while chatting with the really nice guy, we came to talk about IP address resets on power cuts or work on their side, and I will be getting a static IP :).

    They are still trying to remote tweak the receiving unit to up the speeds.
    They rang me beforehand to be prepared for short outages.
    Can't fault their CS.

    It really is such a difference in quality of service, simply keeping the customer informed is a huge benefit. I've had a nightmare with Net1, Eir and UPC/Virgin over the years who all required multiple calls and who missed appointments without a single word to tell me.




  • morgana wrote: »
    Can't fault their CS.
    Imagine if they read this thread.:rolleyes:




  • MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    But isn't samknows only for fixed line?

    I seem to recall asking for one, but was told cos I'm on FWA I was not eligible.
    Unless they changed in the past year, that was the case with me also when I applied for one when I was with NWE Bluebox FWA.

    I received the following e-mail (3rd March 2015):
    Hello Seán,

    Thank you for contacting SamKnows about volunteer.

    We do not currently measure fixed wireless speeds. We only measure the speeds that you get directly from your router/provider.

    This is something we are looking into deploying in the future. Details can be found at: https://www.samknows.com/wifi-measurements

    Thank you for your interest.

    Kind regards,

    The SamKnows Team




  • They have updated their Galway coverage map to include some speedtest.net results
    Obviously cherry picking the best and feck all people connected yet but still :eek::D

    Anyone have NAT issues with xbox live or psn?
    Or accessing security camera or other things that would need ports opened?


  • Advertisement


  • Scruff wrote: »
    They have updated their [url="http://www.imagine.ie/lte-fibre-coverage/lte-fibre-broadband-galway/]Galway coverage map to include some speedtest.net results[/url]
    Obviously cherry picking the best and feck all people connected yet but still :eek::D

    Anyone have NAT issues with xbox live or psn?
    Or accessing security camera or other things that would need ports opened?

    For some reason your URL is coming up with a preceding HTTP translation.

    http://www.imagine.ie/lte-fibre-coverage/lte-fibre-broadband-galway/

    Would they not have used the bloody badge format instead of including adds and stuff? Looks really amateur.




  • ED E wrote: »
    For some reason your URL is coming up with a preceding HTTP translation.
    unclosed quotations in the url tag :o




  • editorsean wrote: »
    Unless they changed in the past year, that was the case with me also when I applied for one when I was with NWE Bluebox FWA.

    I received the following e-mail (3rd March 2015):

    SamKnows will accept Imagine FWA customers, at least they have done in the past.




  • Happy to update: Engineers just have been, issue was mainly a faulty outdoor antenna. It contains 2 antennas inside and one of them was blown causing the drop in speeds. Antenna replaced, result!
    5338131534.png

    Some interesting titbids: Imagine plans to have many more masts live by the end of the year (staying ahead of the curve re NBP). And they wont connect anyone below 30 Mpbs (even if they would be willing to accept this for that reason).




  • morgana wrote: »
    Some interesting titbids: Imagine plans to have many more masts live by the end of the year (staying ahead of the curve re NBP). And they wont connect anyone below 30 Mpbs (even if they would be willing to accept this for that reason).
    Okay, if they're so great. Let them go through the process which has been set up to change the NBP. Meet all the financial, deployment, and technical criteria, and sign a commitment contract -NOW, I'm listening.




  • morgana wrote: »
    Happy to update: Engineers just have been, issue was mainly a faulty outdoor antenna. It contains 2 antennas inside and one of them was blown causing the drop in speeds. Antenna replaced, result!
    5338131534.png

    Impressive customer service.




  • I need this in my life soon :(




  • morgana wrote: »
    Happy to update: Engineers just have been, issue was mainly a faulty outdoor antenna. It contains 2 antennas inside and one of them was blown causing the drop in speeds. Antenna replaced, result!
    5338131534.png

    Some interesting titbids: Imagine plans to have many more masts live by the end of the year (staying ahead of the curve re NBP). And they wont connect anyone below 30 Mpbs (even if they would be willing to accept this for that reason).
    That's more like it! :) .. We are having ours installed next Wednesday (I think they forgot about us as we have been waiting 4/5 weeks). We are at the Dromahane side of Bweeng with a direct line of sight so hopefully we can get the sort of numbers you are getting.




  • KOR101 wrote: »
    Okay, if they're so great. Let them go through the process which has been set up to change the NBP. Meet all the financial, deployment, and technical criteria, and sign a commitment contract -NOW, I'm listening.

    I think that Imagine would be delighted to sign such an agreement if it guaranteed them the NBP. However up until now the department has been dismissive of Imagine and it's claims, rightly so in my opinion as their solution is not future proof.




  • I think that Imagine would be delighted to sign such an agreement if it guaranteed them the NBP. However up until now the department has been dismissive of Imagine and it's claims, rightly so in my opinion as their solution is not future proof.
    yea and plus on some of the speedtest on Imagine Facebook page the upload speeds are below 6mb.


  • Advertisement


  • I think that Imagine would be delighted to sign such an agreement if it guaranteed them the NBP. However up until now the department has been dismissive of Imagine and it's claims, rightly so in my opinion as their solution is not future proof.
    Have a read of the criteria for changing the map. The government won't let them sign a commitment contract unless these are met. The deployment criteria alone require a big company with a track record of rolling out large scale projects.

    Was future proofing part of the EU targets for broadband? If not, Imagine may well have a case that the intervention goes beyond EU objectives.

    http://www.dcenr.gov.ie/communications/Lists/Consultations%20Documents/NBP%20Process%20for%20Updating%20the%20High%20Speed%20Map%20Consultation/Annex%202%20-%20PwC%20oct%202015%20Report%20Assessment%20Criteria%20Investment%20Plans.pdf

    XG5KM3P.png
    dimKPyP.png
    Zf1qLjK.png




  • KOR101 wrote: »
    Have a read of the criteria for changing the map. The government won't let them sign a commitment contract unless these are met. The deployment criteria alone require a big company with a track record of rolling out large scale projects.

    Was future proofing part of the EU targets for broadband? If not, Imagine may well have a case that the intervention goes beyond EU objectives.

    I think we are singing from the same hymn sheet. I don't believe that the government would offer or accept any commitment contract from Imagine. However if they deploy enough highsites they may have legal recourse under state aid rules in respect of government interference unfairly disrupting competition.




  • I've noticed on the speedtest results that Morgana has been kind enough to post up for us, that it always shows as grade B+. I spend a lot of time online gaming and when I have had a B result it certainly has impaired online gaming.

    I wonder if its B for everyone, and if so, why and is there a solution to obtain a grade A result.




  • I've noticed on the speedtest results that Morgana has been kind enough to post up for us, that it always shows as grade B+. I spend a lot of time online gaming and when I have had a B result it certainly has impaired online gaming.

    I wonder if its B for everyone, and if so, why and is there a solution to obtain a grade A result.

    Speedtest.net seem to have some algorithm ranking connections against others both from Ireland and worldwide. I don't know if they have published details of it's workings anywhere. It is interesting to note though on morgana's page listing all the tests that the connection only receives a D+(39%) meaning 61% of tested connections in Ireland are faster.

    Edit: misreading of the data by me. Explained by morgana below.

    http://www.speedtest.net/results.php?ct=d&sh=ea8f1e9c6d1da05f431f9ddbbabebe23&ria=0&s=0




  • .It is interesting to note though on morgana's page listing all the tests that the connection only receives a D+(39%) meaning 61% of tested connections in Ireland are faster.

    Yes, but my test results go back a long time and also include those of my previous provider. It doesn't state exactly ("currently displayed") which test results are taken into account.

    I am a gamer (semi-hardcore raider), and have experienced no problems at all (that is in MMOs rather than FPSs though).




  • morgana wrote: »
    Yes, but my test results go back a long time and also include those of my previous provider. It doesn't state exactly ("currently displayed") which test results are taken into account.

    I am a gamer (semi-hardcore raider), and have experienced no problems at all (that is in MMOs rather than FPSs though).

    Ah I hadn't thought of that. It makes sense that your current speeds would be a higher grade.




  • morgana wrote: »
    Yes, but my test results go back a long time and also include those of my previous provider. It doesn't state exactly ("currently displayed") which test results are taken into account.

    I am a gamer (semi-hardcore raider), and have experienced no problems at all (that is in MMOs rather than FPSs though).

    Im an online racer and FPS gamer, the FPS quality of connection is really the difference between life and death.

    If you dont mind, could you post up a result from pingtest.net as that can be helpful when considering gaming.




  • Another good ping test is from the command line. Type in "ping -n 400 8.8.8.8" and let it run until it completes, which takes 7 to 10 minutes. As it runs over several minutes, it will catch fluctuations that pingtest.net will miss in its few seconds of testing.

    When it completes, the figures worth checking are the average, maximum and packets lost as highlighted in red below (this example is from my Three connection):

    RWJCCnr.png

    If a packet is lost, it must be retransmitted, not good when you've pulled the trigger and there's a retransmission delay, similarly also for a high maximum figure. For example, if let's say the maximum is 500ms, then if you happened to pull the trigger at that time the 500ms ping response took place, the server would have picked up that a half a second later.

    For example, with my previous ISP NWE Bluebox, I've seen many occasions where pingtest.net returned an 'A' grade with 0% packet loss where the command line was returning pings in the 1000's of ms along with lost packets intermittently every minute or two.




  • Im an online racer and FPS gamer, the FPS quality of connection is really the difference between life and death.

    If you dont mind, could you post up a result from pingtest.net as that can be helpful when considering gaming.

    Yea I know FPSs are way more sensitive to pings than MMOs although you don't want any lag in boss fights either :P.
    145618820.png
    It can't test packet loss (but I have a monitoring app running all the time, and, provided there are no outages, packet loss (pinging the nearest hub outside my network) over the day is 0 %


  • Advertisement


  • morgana wrote: »
    Yea I know FPSs are way more sensitive to pings than MMOs although you don't want any lag in boss fights either :P.
    145618820.png
    It can't test packet loss (but I have a monitoring app running all the time, and, provided there are no outages, packet loss (pinging the nearest hub outside my network) over the day is 0 %

    Packet loss might be a browser issue. Check for any pop-ups when running Pingtest.net.


Advertisement