Advertisement
Boards are fundraising to help the people of Ukraine via the Red Cross at this horrific time. Please donate and share if you can, you will find the link here. Many thanks.

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

12357295

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 7,399 ✭✭✭ Nonoperational


    This looks promising. Realistically this is the only realistic way of getting decent reliable speeds to rural areas at the moment. As long as the base stations are not oversubscribed and are provisioned with sufficient backhaul it's a very nice setup. I was always of the opinion that well managed WISPS are a good way to bridge rural last mile connections. If 30Mbit is as low as it goes, that is a very good starting point and sufficient for the vast majority of users at present.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭ irishchris


    Just noticed that imagine have updated their coverage maps today. Nice to see coverage growing steadily http://www.imagine.ie/lte-fibre-coverage/lte-fibre-broadband-galway/


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭ leex


    irishchris wrote: »
    Just noticed that imagine have updated their coverage maps today. Nice to see coverage growing steadily http://www.imagine.ie/lte-fibre-coverage/lte-fibre-broadband-galway/

    Not sure how accurate it is as my general location is not on the coverage map but Imagine have a lot of the LTE signs on the backroads around the area.


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,040 ✭✭✭ irishfeen


    Does anyone know whether LTE should be ok to run IPTV?


  • Registered Users Posts: 36,071 ✭✭✭✭ ED E


    irishfeen wrote: »
    Does anyone know whether LTE should be ok to run IPTV?

    This deployment (well managed TDD) yes but beware that 20GB/day isnt huge for 1080p TV and your day to day internet.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭ morgana


    And another update: After just having had a short (< 10 minutes) outage, I got the following unsolicited text from Imagine:
    "Due to high demand, we are upgrading our network in your area increasing capacity. While we carry out this work, you may experience intermittent service over the next 30 minutes ".
    Impressed yet again with their customer service.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭ diego_b


    Hi, I got LTE installed today...having a few issues with getting my iPad connected.....all other devices working fine.
    The engineer did not leave a box or instructions for the router, can anyone tell how I can log on. IP address and username/password to use please.


  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Waffleon


    What make / model is the router. Have you any pictures of it...??


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭ diego_b


    Waffleon wrote: »
    What make / model is the router. Have you any pictures of it...??

    There is no make on it, just a model number and can't find anything on line for it. I rang Imagine and they say they are not allowing customers to log on so they did it remotely and I am sorted now.


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,040 ✭✭✭ irishfeen


    ED E wrote: »
    This deployment (well managed TDD) yes but beware that 20GB/day isnt huge for 1080p TV and your day to day internet.
    Being honest it would only be for the odd football game so nothing major, if it could play 1080p TV without stopping it would be an exceptional service! Here's hoping!

    I am still waiting for installation so I would be long finding out :)


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,040 ✭✭✭ irishfeen


    morgana wrote: »
    And another update: After just having had a short (< 10 minutes) outage, I got the following unsolicited text from Imagine:
    "Due to high demand, we are upgrading our network in your area increasing capacity. While we carry out this work, you may experience intermittent service over the next 30 minutes ".
    Impressed yet again with their customer service.
    That's on my behalf I hope :) .. Let's hope the upgrade serves us all well around Bweeng and they don't overload the mast.


  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭ Magic ]=)


    leex wrote: »
    Signed up for a Galway connection also. Interesting thing is all marketing material states range is 13km and I am nearer to 18km from Tonabrooky mast. Eircode was provided to them. Am hoping it will be cost neutral if I can cancel my existing landline/dsl connection.

    Hi leex,
    any progress with your installation ?


    I'm in similar situation 20km from Imagine's nearest mast in Abbeyknockmoy.

    Also hoping to hear about the experience with broadband from someone located anywhere between Galway and Headford.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭ leex


    Nothing yet. Last contact I had with them was about a week ago when they told me I should get an install this week. There are multiple LTE signs on the rural roads near me now so I am optimistic that they have local tests done and signal should be ok.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭ polaris68


    Waffleon wrote: »
    Hi. I also just signed up for the Rylane mast due to go live next month. Does anyone have any details on the model of indoor router used and the connection method to the outside antenna...I presume rj45. I may wish to keep my existing router as the WiFi range is exceptional...just vying my opinions.

    Hi Waffleon,

    Where did you see or hear about this Rylane mast? I'm about 10kms from Rylane and they told me on their Live Chat that they are going live in my area in mid-July. I'm wondering if he's referring to this Rylane mast?


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭ irishchris


    "Magic wrote:
    =);99737155"]Hi leex,
    any progress with your installation ?


    I'm in similar situation 20km from Imagine's nearest mast in Abbeyknockmoy.

    Also hoping to hear about the experience with broadband from someone located anywhere between Galway and Headford.

    Imagine on live chat have said the abbeyknockmoy mast has been delayed by 3 weeks and will be mid July now before going live


  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭ Gwynston


    'Magic wrote:
    =);99737155']
    Also hoping to hear about the experience with broadband from someone located anywhere between Galway and Headford.
    I'm about half way down road between Loughgeorge and Corandulla and am very interested in this (lots of signs at the head of the road). But there are two snags:

    1. I signed up to an 18mo Eir contract last Autumn on the promise of better fixed line DSL broadband speed, which of course didn't happen. Still getting around 1 meg (+/- 0.5 meg) :mad:

    2. Although our road isn't that hilly, we're partially in the shadow of a couple of inclines, so I'm not sure if the signal from Cashla will work even though it's less than 10km away.

    e.g. we get very variable mobile coverage in our little area. I think our Vodafone signal comes from the mast at Loughgeorge and all bands can be intermittent. When the weather's good, I can sometimes get a H+ signal and if I hold my phone out of the top floor window on the end of a selfie stick, I have even been known to successfully run a >20meg Speedtest! ;)

    Anyone know if the Imagine unit can be mounted on a high pole?


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭ leex


    Gwynston wrote: »
    I'm about half way down road between Loughgeorge and Corandulla and am very interested in this (lots of signs at the head of the road). But there are two snags:

    1. I signed up to an 18mo Eir contract last Autumn on the promise of better fixed line DSL broadband speed, which of course didn't happen. Still getting around 1 meg (+/- 0.5 meg) :mad:

    2. Although our road isn't that hilly, we're partially in the shadow of a couple of inclines, so I'm not sure if the signal from Cashla will work even though it's less than 10km away.

    e.g. we get very variable mobile coverage in our little area. I think our Vodafone signal comes from the mast at Loughgeorge and all bands can be intermittent. When the weather's good, I can sometimes get a H+ signal and if I hold my phone out of the top floor window on the end of a selfie stick, I have even been known to successfully run a >20meg Speedtest! ;)

    Anyone know if the Imagine unit can be mounted on a high pole?

    I'd be very surprised if it cant be. I see Airwire and Lightnet client antennae near me on long poles.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭ morgana


    There are pictures of the outdoor unit in post #3. Looks like there should be no issue mounting it on a pole.


  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭ Magic ]=)


    irishchris wrote: »
    Imagine on live chat have said the abbeyknockmoy mast has been delayed by 3 weeks and will be mid July now before going live

    Can wait (contract with voda ends in two months) but it seem to be a misinformation. They were ready to get me connected - to what ?

    Gwynston
    I'm located east of Headford.
    Have a fixed line and vodafone at home with Dl @3Mb I'm literally the last house connected to the exchange. Have been checking Eir's fibre rollout website. For the last 18months it was saying upgrade in your area within 6months. Running out of patience with them.

    @morgana would there be any problem with fitting outdoor unit on the chimney ? From where I am can barely see over small hill from the ground level in the mast direction. However view gets better from bedroom upstairs and chimney is even higher. Or should I not worry about those 5m ?


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭ irishchris


    "Magic wrote:
    =);99747342"]Can wait (contract with voda ends in two months) but it seem to be a misinformation. They were ready to get me connected - to what ?

    Gwynston
    I'm located east of Headford.
    Have a fixed line and vodafone at home with Dl @3Mb I'm literally the last house connected to the exchange. Have been checking Eir's fibre rollout website. For the last 18months it was saying upgrade in your area within 6months. Running out of patience with them.

    @morgana would there be any problem with fitting outdoor unit on the chimney ? From where I am can barely see over small hill from the ground level in the mast direction. However view gets better from bedroom upstairs and chimney is even higher. Or should I not worry about those 5m ?

    Just had a call from imagine in relation to the live chat yesterday. Apparently it was incorrect information I was given and the abbeyknockmoy mast is being built mid June and live before end of that month. I'm first in queue I was told so will let everyone know how it goes once I get connected. I will update this thread if I hear anything else in relation to the mast or any other delays


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭ polaris68


    Where are you guys finding out about these masts that will be going active in the next few months?

    Can you be sure you will get a decent service at your house from a mast if it is not active?


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭ dashoonage


    I was just onto them there for limerick coverage. very helpful. told me it was refundable if coverage turned out to be poor.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭ morgana


    'Magic wrote:
    =);99747342']
    @morgana would there be any problem with fitting outdoor unit on the chimney ? From where I am can barely see over small hill from the ground level in the mast direction. However view gets better from bedroom upstairs and chimney is even higher. Or should I not worry about those 5m ?

    I have a pole on my chimney too from previous fixed wireless installations and the guys installing tried the easier and safer gable spot first which gave a good signal. It does not rely on line of sight like my previous provider.


  • Registered Users Posts: 36,071 ✭✭✭✭ ED E


    morgana wrote: »
    I have a pole on my chimney too from previous fixed wireless installations and the guys installing tried the easier and safer gable spot first which gave a good signal. It does not rely on line of sight like my previous provider.

    At 3600Mhz penetration is better than than 5Ghz but line of sight will still play a role. For users further out it might be required.


  • Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭ medoc


    Imagine are limiting users per mast I presume to keep up the speed and quality for the users. If imagine wanted to propose this system as an option for the NBP how many more masts would be needed? Is there enough wireless frequency and indeed mast sites for this option to become what the NBP envisages?


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭ ItHurtsWhenIP


    medoc wrote: »
    Imagine are limiting users per mast I presume to keep up the speed and quality for the users. If imagine wanted to propose this system as an option for the NBP how many more masts would be needed? Is there enough wireless frequency and indeed mast sites for this option to become what the NBP envisages?

    The NBP as it stood last year had requirements for "future proofing" - i.e. - increasing minimum speeds over the course of the contract. The Imagine LTE solution would be unlikely to be able to achieve those economically.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭ rob808


    medoc wrote: »
    Imagine are limiting users per mast I presume to keep up the speed and quality for the users. If imagine wanted to propose this system as an option for the NBP how many more masts would be needed? Is there enough wireless frequency and indeed mast sites for this option to become what the NBP envisages?
    They would need a lot more than what they have given why they need to win NBP but hope they don't rather Eir and siro win it.


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,040 ✭✭✭ irishfeen


    morgana, any increase or decrease in speed since works to the mast in Bweeng that they informed you about last week?


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭ KOR101


    polaris68 wrote: »
    Where are you guys finding out about these masts that will be going active in the next few months?
    Yes, would love to know.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,071 ✭✭✭✭ ED E


    irishfeen wrote: »
    morgana, any increase or decrease in speed since works to the mast in Bweeng that they informed you about last week?
    KOR101 wrote: »
    Yes, would love to know.

    The link is live lads, as Morgana tests the results are included. Trend is consistent, no change.

    http://www.speedtest.net/results.php?ct=d&sh=ea8f1e9c6d1da05f431f9ddbbabebe23&ria=0&s=0


Advertisement