Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All things relating to Jordan Peterson

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Harika

I think he wanted to come into the spotlight and the SJW and alt-right gave him the opportunity. While he might not actively pander to them and appears everywhere where he gets invited. But his audience, according to reddit is overwhelmingly single young white male, who think they have a higher IQ than average but are paid below average. https://imgur.com/a/iYVmn And when he says he is not naïve he knows exactly that those are the people he is speaking too.

Those are the people that then upload to youtube videos like “Jordan Peterson destroys SJW” while when you look at the video you see a challenging question and an answer that is thought provoking itself. I am always wondering if his audience just cheers at him for the sake of it, or how many of them are understanding what he says. Like first I wonder who of his audience knows the definition of Modernism and would be able to explain the difference between that and post Modernism.

JP is/was University professor and that’s his level and he has an opinion on topics, that he then backs up. Hilariously at other topics he is avoiding having a stance like hell especially religion:
    “Do you believe in Jesus?”
    “What do you mean by believe?” “What do you mean by Jesus?” blablablabla “without definition I cannot answer that”.

While he asks good questions like “When Trump gets impeached what are his followers then supposed to do?” but this is not new, so I am with Zizek who said that in a year no one will be talking about Peterson anymore or he will be lost in obscurity like Milo.

Harika wrote: »
    While he asks good questions like “When Trump gets impeached what are his followers then supposed to do?” but this is not new, so I am with Zizek who said that in a year no one will be talking about Peterson anymore or he will be lost in obscurity like Milo.

TBF that's more a reflection about who we are as people, and where our interests rest, than about JP. Pretty much everyone in this area struggles constantly to stay relevant. You can see it in the Feminists who constantly have to swing between moderate and extremist opinions to keep in the public eye... Sure they have a core group of supporters, but they have to "do drama" to get new ones, who disappear after some time.

JP will retain a core group of supporters, and will likely retreat to the fringes at some point. Everyone does, as new people step up to capture peoples attention. Milo is is different because he was an acknowledged troll, and young enough to get distracted into doing other things. Oh, he'll keep trying to become relevant again, just as most authors try to get another bestseller out, but most people tired of Milo's trollish behavior rather quickly. JP will last longer simply because he is reasonable.

TBF that's more a reflection about who we are as people, and where our interests rest, than about JP. Pretty much everyone in this area struggles constantly to stay relevant. You can see it in the Feminists who constantly have to swing between moderate and extremist opinions to keep in the public eye... Sure they have a core group of supporters, but they have to "do drama" to get new ones, who disappear after some time.
    <-snip->

JP is atm the champion of the alt-right and the people described above, but as he is riding only on this wave I can also see him dropping very quickly when a new champion enters the arena. It reminds me of the movie "Lo chiamavano Bulldozer" or "Uppercut" where those Italians bring each week a new champion to the arm wrestling competition with the GIs and put all their hope in him and when this one loses bring a new one in.
    Sure JP will stay relevant in a niche but he will be dropped from the Alt-right as soon as he moves into a more non radical position to gain more traction and enter a level like Chomsky or Zizek.
    Time will tell, where he will end up.

JP is atm the champion of the alt-right and the people described above, but as he is riding only on this wave I can also see him dropping very quickly when a new champion enters the arena. It reminds me of the movie "Lo chiamavano Bulldozer" or "Uppercut" where those Italians bring each week a new champion to the arm wrestling competition with the GIs and put all their hope in him and when this one loses bring a new one in.
    Sure JP will stay relevant in a niche but he will be dropped from the Alt-right as soon as he moves into a more non radical position to gain more traction and enter a level like Chomsky or Zizek.
    Time will tell, where he will end up.

I think you're falling for these "labels" too much. Alt-right. JP represents every guy out there who is exasperated with feminism, or SJW movements. He's going to stay relevant until someone else comes along who has better charisma but also has his facts right when facing the extremists who paint all men as rapists, molesters, monsters, etc.

I'm not saying you're wrong about the alt-right angle, but JP has far more support than just them. Personally, I'd support JP because he's one of the few people out there willing to stand up to the BS coming from feminists, or women's rights movements (yes, I don't see them as the same thing anymore)

I'm not saying you're wrong about the alt-right angle, but JP has far more support than just them. Personally, I'd support JP because he's one of the few people out there willing to stand up to the BS coming from feminists, or women's rights movements (yes, I don't see them as the same thing anymore)

Here I disagree, because the right is dominating the internet and by this a gigantic echo chamber has been created. And if you look at his latest book there is nothing about the gender/SJW in it. So a small fraction of him is dragged into the open to champion with it. There is far more about him than his pronoun debate.
    @Mod I would be inclined to ask what BS we are talking here, but this might get too far away from the original topic and might derail the thread too far away. What you advise?

• Advertisement

Here I disagree, because the right is dominating the internet and by this a gigantic echo chamber has been created.

Seriously? The right is dominating the internet? I wouldn't have thought so. Oddly enough, I would have considered the "left" (although that has kinda lost its meaning) to be very well represented.
    And if you look at his latest book there is nothing about the gender/SJW in it. So a small fraction of him is dragged into the open to champion with it. There is far more about him than his pronoun debate.

Well, yes, his book is about improving someones life, not about social/cultural issues.... however the vast majority of videos relating to him on YouTube or articles I've found on the internet relate to areas other than pure self-development.
    @Mod I would be inclined to ask what BS we are talking here, but this might get too far away from the original topic and might derail the thread too far away. What you advise?

What BS? Gender wage gap, inequality of the genders, quotas, etc. And it's hardly moving away from the topic since that's how JP became so much more popular on the internet. By addressing these issues when students or activists queried him. The interview with JP on Channel4 was mostly about these areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I really hate this obsession with triggering. I tend to dismiss anyone who thinks it's a good thing. If you've articulated your ideas which should be logical and rational properly then you have no need to gloat about triggering people.

I don't think it's his "Clean your room" advice that's antagonising people. It's his political views which, frankly are nonsense. While I certainly wouldn't call him a professional troll, there are those like Ben Shapiro who are taking certain issues like transgender pronouns and making them out like they're the biggest thing facing modern society which is just basic whataboutery. Peterson has time to go on and on about this while ignoring actual political issues.

but there you go , Ben Shapiro pumps out much more political diatribe and he gets less heat. Peterson seems to be getting a lot of the heat because he is trying to uplift young men in a very basic way "dad advice" , the hate is disproportional and I'd say that's its down to an anti male agenda on the left.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Seriously? The right is dominating the internet? I wouldn't have thought so. Oddly enough, I would have considered the "left" (although that has kinda lost its meaning) to be very well represented.

We might agree to disagree here but:
    Well, yes, his book is about improving someones life, not about social/cultural issues.... however the vast majority of videos relating to him on YouTube or articles I've found on the internet relate to areas other than pure self-development.

Yeah there you see the echo bubble. ;) There was a good discussion with him and Matt Dillahunty but on the internet you will find mainly videos offside his interviews like "Peterson destroys SJW" "Peterson reks Feminist" and so on.
    What BS? Gender wage gap, inequality of the genders, quotas, etc. And it's hardly moving away from the topic since that's how JP became so much more popular on the internet. By addressing these issues when students or activists queried him. The interview with JP on Channel4 was mostly about these areas.

Why are those issues BS?

I liked the C4 interview.

We might agree to disagree here but:

Sure, we can agree to disagree.... But what? If there's a but... perhaps prove that the Right dominates the internet?
    Yeah there you see the echo bubble. ;) There was a good discussion with him and Matt Dillahunty but on the internet you will find mainly videos offside his interviews like "Peterson destroys SJW" "Peterson reks Feminist" and so on.

How is that an echo bubble? I don't see how having videos of his interviews, debates and opinion pieces are examples of an echo bubble.
    Why are those issues BS?

Because the gender wage gap has been proven to be incorrect on multiple occasions, Gender inequality since women have full legal equality, etc.
    I liked the C4 interview.

Me too. He showed just how biased the interviewer was, and how unprepared she was to defend herself.

How is that an echo bubble? I don't see how having videos of his interviews, debates and opinion pieces are examples of an echo bubble.

Do you find videos called "Peterson rekt" or something like that? There are a lot of fact based videos that dissect his arguments what makes me giggle when I think again of Modernism and PostModernism and how JP is criticising latter.

Because the gender wage gap has been proven to be incorrect on multiple occasions, Gender inequality since women have full legal equality, etc.

Cause it was found that the deeper you dig the pay gap is still there and so on, but to be honest that's why I asked before if we want to go down this rabbit hole. Ends for me here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Pug160 wrote: »
    Stephen Fry (the other ''stupid person's idea of what an intelligent person is'') ....

What do you mean by this? Fry is a highly intelligent individual. I wouldn't compare him with Peterson at all.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Cause it was found that the deeper you dig the pay gap is still there and so on, but to be honest that's why I asked before if we want to go down this rabbit hole. Ends for me here.

Strange, since it was found the deeper you dig, the evidence denied the existence of the gender wage gap.... but then I'm starting to understand why you're critical of JP.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭kubjones

I like the man quite a bit.

Obviously everything he says needs to be taken with a grain of salt, understand that most of what he decides to talk about are things that he has a good amount of experience in. Some of the arguments in here such as "He should not be giving dating advice because he is married to his childhood sweetheart" need to also remember he has been a clinical psychologist for many years, despite not having the experience of being with several women, he has the experience of dealing with people, quotes many different pieces of literature on most of what he specializes in (oftentimes including contradicting claims between different authors) and comes to conclusions based on his experience.

But at the same time no one experience will ever be a complete understanding.

I like what he's trying to do. People need help. Despite the fact we become more and more progressive every day (which is great), humans are becoming less and less happy. He's guiding people from suicide, towards a productive and rewarding life. I think that, even if he is incorrect or unqualified to talk about certain things, he is qualified enough to talk about some things, and these things are having a positive reaction with millions of people.

Also a big thing for people in this country would be getting over his religious ideas, and absolutely justified. I think with things like this, we should only be interested in the metaphysics and expansion of meaning, and not turn to outdated doctrine for complete guidance. There is still usefulness to grasp from the past, just be aware enough to consider the good and ignore the bad.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

silverharp wrote: »
    but there you go , Ben Shapiro pumps out much more political diatribe and he gets less heat. Peterson seems to be getting a lot of the heat because he is trying to uplift young men in a very basic way "dad advice" , the hate is disproportional and I'd say that's its down to an anti male agenda on the left.

Peterson is an academic so I suppose he is expected to be objective and analytical whereas Shapiro is just some guy who has opinions for money.

I think your talk of hate is more than a tad overblown. It's just criticism and debate for the most part.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 7,428 ✭✭✭tritium

Peterson is an academic so I suppose he is expected to be objective and analytical whereas Shapiro is just some guy who has opinions for money.

I think your talk of hate is more than a tad overblown. It's just criticism and debate for the most part.

Well, given he’s been the subject of several hit pieces in the guardian, channel 4 embarrasses themselves really and Rte recently allowed a long opinion hit piece on him without rebuttal so far I’d say there is a fair bit of hate for him out there all right......

Oddly given some accuse this forum of being echo chamberish I’ve seem far more considered, nuanced and analytical criticism of him on here than in those more mainstream sources.

tritium wrote: »
    Well, given he’s been the subject of several hit pieces in the guardian, channel 4 embarrasses themselves really and Rte recently allowed a long opinion hit piece on him without rebuttal so far I’d say there is a fair bit of hate for him out there all right......

Oddly given some accuse this forum of being echo chamberish I’ve seem far more considered, nuanced and analytical criticism of him on here than in those more mainstream sources.

I'd be inclined to call that sloppy/biased journalism to be honest as opposed to hatred. Hatred is a pretty strong word.

Anyway, this image succinctly surmises my view of The Guardian at the moment:

DXrIksJX0AccSdh.jpg

H. H. Asquith

I'd be inclined to call that sloppy/biased journalism to be honest as opposed to hatred. Hatred is a pretty strong word.

Anyway, this image succinctly surmises my view of The Guardian at the moment:

DXrIksJX0AccSdh.jpg

You couldn’t make it up really could you?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Summed up by advertising money talks.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Summed up by advertising money talks.

So a labour person writes an opinion piece in The Guardian, and based on that the newspaper immediately changes their advertisement rules/settings?

So a labour person writes an opinion piece in The Guardian, and based on that the newspaper immediately changes their advertisement rules/settings?

It’s possibly more the general undercurrent of hypocrisy that a paper that repeatedly lectures its readership on what the correct social view is around various isms should be is happy to take wads of cash from some of the worlds more disreputable regimes and general exponents of many of those isms at the same time.

It’s just delicious irony that it coincides so well here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Brae100

The Mayor of Durham, NC (a black lesbian), has tried to de-platform him. I don't get all the hate. Is it really just because his followers are young, white males?

https://www.indyweek.com/news/archives/2018/07/06/city-council-calls-on-durham-to-resist-bigotry-recommit-to-inclusive-values-ahead-of-jordan-petersons-dpac-show?media=AMP%20HTML&__twitter_impression=true

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Pug160

What do you mean by this? Fry is a highly intelligent individual. I wouldn't compare him with Peterson at all.

Oh I think both of them are highly intelligent. I put it in quotes as both men have been smeared by that quote (or something very similar). I'm not sure where it originated from but I know Peter Hitchens has used it against Fry. Peter is very intelligent himself so it just goes to show that it is not beyond even intellectuals to do such a thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

I'm just baffled why he's being held up as this font of knowledge by certain corners of the internet. He seems like a dozen other different guys all selling the same thing to the same specific audience.

Such as? I hear all about these "others" but haven't seen any. comparable to Peterson. Certainly no professors of psychology with lots of citations. No one with thousands of hours of lectures online. Plenty of nut jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Brae100 wrote: »
    The Mayor of Durham, NC (a black lesbian), has tried to de-platform him. I don't get all the hate. Is it really just because his followers are young, white males?

https://www.indyweek.com/news/archives/2018/07/06/city-council-calls-on-durham-to-resist-bigotry-recommit-to-inclusive-values-ahead-of-jordan-petersons-dpac-show?media=AMP%20HTML&__twitter_impression=true

I actually think this isn't even true. While his message is attractive to rudderless young white males, his "following" if you could call it that, is from a broad spectrum of society. Young men in general like him, not just cisgendered young white men. Young women like him. Anyone fed up with the empty noise that passes for media reporting and the blatant lies we are all expected to swallow. He's too religious for my taste at times, and I don't slavishly follow everything he says - he tweeted some dodgy stuff about global warming recently for example that I didn't agree with at all - but that's OK - there is no "movement" to be kicked out of and I won't be roundly attacked by saying I don't agree on his Twitter page.

He's touring at the moment with the openly gay Jew Dave Rubin. Kinda strange for a "misogynist far right advocate". His videos on psychology were what I found the most useful in my life and relationships.

If you see any of the meetings they are full of all sorts of people. He claims that his readership as analysed by Penguin are 55% female.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

Peterson is just a 'pick-up artist' for men who like to imagine they are a lot more intelligent than they are. Rational Men.tm

Peterson is just a 'pick-up artist' for men who like to imagine they are a lot more intelligent than they are. Rational Men.tm

Simply making such a comment shows how little you know of what's involved in the PUA scene.

Peterson is like many people online. He's given some dating/relationship advice. He hasn't invested time into designing a product/course for people to "develop" their "skills".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭iptba

I see he is trending on Twitter. Mainly from talking on the Marian Finucane show it seems.
    https://twitter.com/ardkeengrocer/status/1018098100286689280

https://twitter.com/MaryMcAuliffe4/status/1018082782680092672
    Dr Mary McAuliffe
    @MaryMcAuliffe4

Historian/Asst Prof @gender_ucd & @CGFS_UCD / #irishhistory #genderstudies #irishwmnhist #feminism /https://marymcauliffe.blog / @ManelWatchIre / views mine
    It is not uncommon for feminists like her to go unchallenged.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭iptba

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭glic71rods46t0

iptba wrote: »
    I see he is trending on Twitter. Mainly from talking on the Marian Finucane show it seems.
    https://twitter.com/ardkeengrocer/status/1018098100286689280

https://twitter.com/MaryMcAuliffe4/status/1018082782680092672
    It is not uncommon for feminists like her to go unchallenged.

I looked at her blog, Jaysus, she's not easy on the eye ... I think she should be careful what she wishes for - I'd imagine that Peterson would destroy her on live radio

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭brevity

Wouldn't mind him having a chat with Matt Cooper - I think it could be interesting.

Advertisement