Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

All things relating to Jordan Peterson

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

dd972 wrote: »
    Well said, JP rants on about 'you should be doing this/that/the other' in his slightly whiney voice which I can listen to less and less with each listen. He's got nothing to say about the money and why neoliberal capitalism has been a disaster creating loads of disenfranchised young men.

Neoliberal economics has created the single most comfortable mode of being for the most amount of people regardless of skill, heritage or class in the history of the world.

If it's been a disaster, if it's created "disenfranchised young men", it's because it's removed the sheer struggle and torture that was common in life up to as little as a hundred years ago or ateast in the post-WW2 era.

Anyways, in his psychology lectures he actually does have a bit to say about income inequality and the problems that creates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

Neoliberal economics has created the single most comfortable mode of being for the most amount of people regardless of skill, heritage or class in the history of the world.

If it's been a disaster, if it's created "disenfranchised young men", it's because it's removed the sheer struggle and torture that was common in life up to as little as a hundred years ago or ateast in the post-WW2 era.

Anyways, in his psychology lectures he actually does have a bit to say about income inequality and the problems that creates.

It has created a class of people that are struggling in completely new ways.

{I probably shouldn't have written all this but I'm rather drunk right now. :pac:}

You should and thank you for taking the time to put those thoughts together and post them. There is some absolute gold in that post. I agree completely about people using qualifications as a lens through which they view things without using themselves as a person. It is almost like they have been programmed with this toolbox from which they can't free themselves from looking at things in any other way. Psychology is probably at the forefront of this because they generally feel smarter than the average bear and that they have figured stuff out about people that people can't figure out for themselves.

I'll give Bandlers a go. I have never come across him.

I'm not looking for great leaders. I am looking for people to wake the **** up. You talk about happiness quite a bit in that post. You see in people around you a lack of that which I feel corresponds to people, not really understanding how to turn themselves on as people. That sounds quite smug but it isn't it is just an observation on people who are doing all the 'right' things yet are miserable as hell underneath. Eh, you know all that crap you are told will make you happy . . . The world needs to change through people starting to realize some truths and changing the kind of people we elect in all areas and not just one great leader as all men have their own failings and fallibilities.

I'm not sure that I agree with the comments about selfishness. I think people are scared, we are all a little scared and as such that fear leads rise to people motivations being selfish as they want to look after themselves. Now those are core feelings, this world after that today promotes the age of ME in a hyper way which leads selfishness unbound. I don't think it is inherent in people though and I think we are far more caring than you give credit. I posted this elsewhere recently and I stole it from Hitchens who stole it from Socrates so it isn't really any insight from myself.

I don't know that we all have it but I have it and Socrates believed we all have it. It is something like an internal witness that when we don't do something that we fully believe in we know it as a person. We can ignore it but we are aware. It might bubble in our subconscious but we understand on some level that we are either not being true to ourselves or doing the wrong thing.

The world we have created though makes it very hard for people to live in this world and listen to that voice. That eventually damages people though, bitterness etc flows out to other people and you can see if you are alive enough that they aren't really home. I think Hitchens gave the example of saying something clever to someone to get a laugh that you don't truly believe, an inner voice tells you, that was funny but it wasn't something you should have said. We have that same feeling that grates at people going against themselves in so many areas of life now that its destroys them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

....and increased wealth inequality that hasn't been seen for decades, and less not forget about neoliberials partner in crime, i.e. neoclassical theory, we may have just created our perfect storm!

It has created a class of people that are struggling in completely new ways.

There was always a class of people that struggled. But nobody is starving to death any more if they don't want to.

• Advertisement

There was always a class of people that struggled. But nobody is starving to death any more if they don't want to.

you may need to do some more research on this, theres still many people starving on this planet, including some in developed countries

• Registered Users Posts: 17,838 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I think Silverharp's point was that Peterson antagonises left wingers. He seems very much right wing to me so if "triggering lefties" is someone's metric for measuring insight then I wouldn't afford that opinion much credibility.

leaving aside his politics, his advice to young people is exactly what parents / dads should be passing on to their kids. Why this would trigger some people so much is strange from my point of view unless they are the stereotypical feminist etc. with the daddy issues we here about.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Nobody in the world is starving to death if they don't want to?

I don't think there is a class of people that are struggling. I think most of society is struggling only in different ways.
    Suffice to say that Peterson talks about the real world like he would a social experiment assigned to a class. He tends to miss out on the pain, passion, deceit, etc that is involved with living. But then, so too do his opponents. Peterson is perhaps better at this though, but I find him overly clinical at times.

If you can finding meaning in what this poster is saying here you should also be able to understand a little of what I mean. I don't want to sound like an asshole but my views on this are formed by a wide array of interests of which it would take me a book to explain.

btw klaz, if you haven't seen it I think you would really enjoy 'The Act of Killing'. It is a harrowing watch and I am not generally a fan of visiting something so dark too often as it weighs heavily on me as a person but it is an immensely rewarding watch in the understanding stakes.

btw klaz, if you haven't seen it I think you would really enjoy 'The Act of Killing'. It is a harrowing watch and I am not generally a fan of visiting something so dark too often as it weighs heavily on me as a person but it is an immensely rewarding watch in the understanding stakes.

ive never heard of this 'the act of killing', can you explain? sorry im under a bit of pressure here, dont have the time to google. thank you

• Advertisement

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    ive never heard of this 'the act of killing', can you explain? sorry im under a bit of pressure here, dont have the time to google. thank you

It is a very unique documentary about a brutal period in history. It comes at things through in a very challenging way which asks some important but dark questions about human beings. I found it rewarding but I wouldn't recommend visiting it unless you are in a good place in life and are happy to pose some pretty serious and often dark questions to yourself. The way it pushes you to open your mind though is incredibly rewarding from giving understanding towards many different areas.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,065 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

silverharp wrote: »
    leaving aside his politics, his advice to young people is exactly what parents / dads should be passing on to their kids. Why this would trigger some people so much is strange from my point of view unless they are the stereotypical feminist etc. with the daddy issues we here about.

I really hate this obsession with triggering. I tend to dismiss anyone who thinks it's a good thing. If you've articulated your ideas which should be logical and rational properly then you have no need to gloat about triggering people.

I don't think it's his "Clean your room" advice that's antagonising people. It's his political views which, frankly are nonsense. While I certainly wouldn't call him a professional troll, there are those like Ben Shapiro who are taking certain issues like transgender pronouns and making them out like they're the biggest thing facing modern society which is just basic whataboutery. Peterson has time to go on and on about this while ignoring actual political issues.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    you may need to do some more research on this, theres still many people starving on this planet, including some in developed countries

Gonna have to throw me a link or two there for starvation in developed countries.
    Nobody in the world is starving to death if they don't want to?

Well, not worldwide but I thought I was referring to Ireland. Not a citizen of the world yet.

Gonna have to throw me a link or two there for starvation in developed countries.

Well, not worldwide but I thought I was referring to Ireland. Not a citizen of the world yet.

This is maybe where we differ. I consider myself someone living on planet earth. My empathy extends to all people.

I'm not looking for great leaders. I am looking for people to wake the **** up.

Wake up and do what exactly?

Western society is going through a messed up period. All the constraints of the past (Religion, marriage, social constraints, sexuality, etc) are being removed and replaced with the "promise" of something better. But most people can feel that it's an empty promise and they're stuck in limbo. The traditional places to find security and inspiration are disappearing. Political scandals, corruption and irresponsibility is rife across the board. Most people don't really trust the law to be impartial or effective anymore, and there's no real movement to fix it. The Church is essentially gone, and replaced with nothing. So, people are adrift.
    You talk about happiness quite a bit in that post. You see in people around you a lack of that which I feel corresponds to people, not really understanding how to turn themselves on as people. That sounds quite smug but it isn't it is just an observation on people who are doing all the 'right' things yet are miserable as hell underneath. Eh, you know all that crap you are told will make you happy . . . The world needs to change through people starting to realize some truths and changing the kind of people we elect in all areas and not just one great leader as all men have their own failings and fallibilities.

I find most people aren't happy with their lives... The state of their lives, and where they expect to be in twenty years time. As I said above, everything is changing and there is no security anymore. Without that assumption that there is a clear line to regular living, people become anxious, and anxious people find fear quite quickly.

Happiness is important for a society. Without that happiness, and stability, people seek more radical answers, and the world is full of con-artists. [Or they blindly accept "official" or "institutional" research/statistics without checking their validity. Doesn't help that so many of our "trusted" organisations are biased or sponsored by private concerns]
    I'm not sure that I agree with the comments about selfishness.

Westerners like to believe in individuality and take pride in how our society promotes the individual. Individuality leads to being selfish otherwise how do you create a self separate from the needs of the community (although community is essentially dead in western culture. so perhaps society is a better word).

Virtually all the media and advertisements going around are all about "Me! Me! Me!" That constant bombardment to the senses about providing to the individual is going to have an effect. Coupled with the fear and insecurity, it encourages a bunker mentality.
    I posted this elsewhere recently and I stole it from Hitchens who stole it from Socrates so it isn't really any insight from myself.

You agreed with it, so therefore its yours. :D
    I don't know that we all have it but I have it and Socrates believed we all have it. It is something like an internal witness that when we don't do something that we fully believe in we know it as a person. We can ignore it but we are aware. It might bubble in our subconscious but we understand on some level that we are either not being true to ourselves or doing the wrong thing.

And your internal witness is developed through social conditioning, education, your own unique perception of events, and experience. We have been told for a very long time that we are thinking beings, and that pure instinct is bad. Society reinforces this by teaching us the norms through which to see good/evil. Right/Wrong.

The problem though is that Right/Wrong are no longer the same thing as it was 30 years ago. Take the Transgender movement towards children, for example. 30 years ago, there would have been no question as to whether this should be allowed. It would have been shut down immediately, and the proponents sent off to a health center. Today? While there are many people against it, they're powerless to prevent it, because all causes have greater importance than what people actually want. The minority beliefs are greater.

And the "witness" recognises all of these things, and adapts.
    The world we have created though makes it very hard for people to live in this world and listen to that voice. That eventually damages people though, bitterness etc flows out to other people and you can see if you are alive enough that they aren't really home. I think Hitchens gave the example of saying something clever to someone to get a laugh that you don't truly believe, an inner voice tells you, that was funny but it wasn't something you should have said. We have that same feeling that grates at people going against themselves in so many areas of life now that its destroys them.

The greatest moment in my life was when I realised that I could say anything I wanted to someone and that I shouldn't feel any burden of guilt for doing so. I'm serious. Oh, I don't do it all the time, because it's dangerous... but the sense of freedom, knowing the option is there is incredible.

Most people I know don't have that freedom. They're afraid of the consequences in being honest, because society has developed to become a rather superficial thing where everyone's 'feelings' matter. It's even gotten to the point where saying you're against something (voicing your opinion) will get you labeled as a "phobe" or "ist".

I recently was in a discussion with friends and their friends about seeing gay people kissing, or making out in public. I really have no issues with gay people, but we weren't talking about the normal behavior of people in public. Instead, it was the case of a male couple, kissing passionately in the main street of the town, with their hands moving everywhere, with plenty of grinding going on. I wouldn't want to see a male/female doing that in the street either. It's not the place for it. And when i said as much, I was called homophobic. Simply because I said they shouldn't be doing it in public. I've no issue with them doing it in a nightclub, or private area, but that didn't matter. After the group broke up, I received messages from most of the others, thanking me for being honest, and that they wished they could have said the same... but were afraid they would be called the same. Their reputation would suffer. A very real worry in a small town.

There is a movement in western society to place the freedoms of minority groups over the beliefs of the majority. That we must provide complete freedom to everyone and everything... and to suggest otherwise is a black/white statement of ism.

This is why western society is failing, and people are so unhappy. Their own freedom to speak out against so much change is being taken away from them. In many ways, western society is starting to look a lot like Chinese society. Not a fear of the government but fear of social condemnation against what's officially accepted as being "true and good".

Consider looking at the poverty index of developed countries, and consider what poverty actually entails. The US is a good one to look at because of the sheer number of homeless in or around their cities without any welfare system to help them.

Western society is going through a messed up period. All the constraints of the past (Religion, marriage, social constraints, sexuality, etc) are being removed and replaced with the "promise" of something better. But most people can feel that it's an empty promise and they're stuck in limbo. The traditional places to find security and inspiration are disappearing. Political scandals, corruption and irresponsibility is rife across the board. Most people don't really trust the law to be impartial or effective anymore, and there's no real movement to fix it. The Church is essentially gone, and replaced with nothing. So, people are adrift.

Wake up for a start and be alive. Actually embrace the here and now and live. Much of what I mean is talked about in that Harris video I posted where people never truly connect with the present moment and end up living life in the future or the past. The movement to fix it will only happen when enough people are awake to see a change is needed. At the moment there is an acceptance that things are this way and it is the best we can achieve. That needs to change. People can't look at the world and see what we are doing is crazy and we are doing a terrible job of caring for people in the world. They can't do that because they are so consumed with their own lives in this age of ME. Trying to find happiness in all the wrong places, sleeping walking through life.

I could rant here about working hours, trend lines in productions and wages and how it all makes no sense until you follow the money and what is happening but I know reading your posts you already know all this.
    I find most people aren't happy with their lives... The state of their lives, and where they expect to be in twenty years time. As I said above, everything is changing and there is no security anymore. Without that assumption that there is a clear line to regular living, people become anxious, and anxious people find fear quite quickly.

Happiness is important for a society. Without that happiness, and stability, people seek more radical answers, and the world is full of con-artists. [Or they blindly accept "official" or "institutional" research/statistics without checking their validity. Doesn't help that so many of our "trusted" organisations are biased or sponsored by private concerns]

I see this everywhere. People doing all the 'right' things that we proport as being important but when you dig into people it is a ****ing shambles.
    Westerners like to believe in individuality and take pride in how our society promotes the individual. Individuality leads to being selfish otherwise how do you create a self separate from the needs of the community (although community is essentially dead in western culture. so perhaps society is a better word).

Virtually all the media and advertisements going around are all about "Me! Me! Me!" That constant bombardment to the senses about providing to the individual is going to have an effect. Coupled with the fear and insecurity, it encourages a bunker mentality.

Agree with it all but if people could see the joy that it brings to care about the collective. To actually see pain and suffering and not think of it as some logical exercise towards their brain of computing, "oh that is sad". Instead let the pain in and show genuine compassion and understanding it relates to all the other feelings in life you don't experience because you dull the pain, you dull everything to live like that. Being a good person is its own reward.
    You agreed with it, so therefore its yours. :D

And your internal witness is developed through social conditioning, education, your own unique perception of events, and experience. We have been told for a very long time that we are thinking beings, and that pure instinct is bad. Society reinforces this by teaching us the norms through which to see good/evil. Right/Wrong.

The problem though is that Right/Wrong are no longer the same thing as it was 30 years ago. Take the Transgender movement towards children, for example. 30 years ago, there would have been no question as to whether this should be allowed. It would have been shut down immediately, and the proponents sent off to a health center. Today? While there are many people against it, they're powerless to prevent it, because all causes have greater importance than what people actually want. The minority beliefs are greater.

This gets quite weird and messy from a personal perspective. I understand the points you are making towards a lack of free will. I agree but I also think there is something deeper in that inner voice. I know because I have experienced it at points in my life when it doesn't make sense for it to have formed so truly and I couldn't connect with it on the surface but subconiously it was driving me to act out in ways because I can see with complete clarity I was doing much of the stuff that I thought was the right direction but it wasn't. I couldn't tell that on the surface but something deep within always knew from a very early age.
    The greatest moment in my life was when I realised that I could say anything I wanted to someone and that I shouldn't feel any burden of guilt for doing so. I'm serious. Oh, I don't do it all the time, because it's dangerous... but the sense of freedom, knowing the option is there is incredible.

Most people I know don't have that freedom. They're afraid of the consequences in being honest, because society has developed to become a rather superficial thing where everyone's 'feelings' matter. It's even gotten to the point where saying you're against something (voicing your opinion) will get you labeled as a "phobe" or "ist".

I recently was in a discussion with friends and their friends about seeing gay people kissing, or making out in public. I really have no issues with gay people, but we weren't talking about the normal behavior of people in public. Instead, it was the case of a male couple, kissing passionately in the main street of the town, with their hands moving everywhere, with plenty of grinding going on. I wouldn't want to see a male/female doing that in the street either. It's not the place for it. And when i said as much, I was called homophobic. Simply because I said they shouldn't be doing it in public. I've no issue with them doing it in a nightclub, or private area, but that didn't matter. After the group broke up, I received messages from most of the others, thanking me for being honest, and that they wished they could have said the same... but were afraid they would be called the same. Their reputation would suffer. A very real worry in a small town.

There is a movement in western society to place the freedoms of minority groups over the beliefs of the majority. That we must provide complete freedom to everyone and everything... and to suggest otherwise is a black/white statement of ism.

This is why western society is failing, and people are so unhappy. Their own freedom to speak out against so much change is being taken away from them. In many ways, western society is starting to look a lot like Chinese society. Not a fear of the government but fear of social condemnation against what's officially accepted as being "true and good".

You are on shaky ground with me here. I don't believe people should be able to just say what they want. I agree the ability to do so is incredibly freeing for you personally but it should always come with a caveat of caring and understanding of the people around you are just trying to get through this life thing. Many with little understanding that you have as a person. Jim Carey recently came to this realisation and he showed up at some fashion event deriding the whole thing as one of the most vacuous things we are doing on planet earth. He may be right but he comes at things from what I can see of having lived in a money bubble with little understanding of how hard and difficult life is for many people. He doesn't know those people he is talking to. He doesn't know their struggle. What gives him the right to judge without that knowledge.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,065 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Happiness is important for a society. Without that happiness, and stability, people seek more radical answers, and the world is full of con-artists. [Or they blindly accept "official" or "institutional" research/statistics without checking their validity. Doesn't help that so many of our "trusted" organisations are biased or sponsored by private concerns.

I'm inclined to see it as much more of a good thing than a bad thing. The caveat is that then erosion of traditional bodies of collectivism and the promotion of individual agency and liberty aren't inherently linked. The Catholic Church has largely been crippled by the child abuse scandal, the banks nearly crashed the economy only to be bailed out by the state, trade unions have had their snouts in the trough for some time now, MP's have had the recent expenses scandal and so on...

Pretty much. Membership of some of the bodies I mention above imply participation in a higher cause which can help one feel fulfilled and purposeful. A trade union employee might see themselves as the guardian of their members' rights and welfare against an avaricious and uncaring employer for example. All this has been replaced by consumer capitalism which amounts to little more than "Buy this thing and you'll be happy". Of course, there's always another thing and reality never meets expectation.

This is largely an online phenomenon, largely confined to certain sites and social media which is itself inherently anathema to the idea of civilised, mature debate. Most people, I've found don't subscribe to many "-isms" if any. If it transpired that, say a toy company had used a harmful variety of paint only a small few would argue for the state to nationalise it or to have a bonfire of toy and paint regulations. They'd just expect the firm to issue a recall and pay compensation where necessary.

I think a certain few troublemakers are intent on pushing the idea that we're losing our free speech for their own personal gain. It's was Peterson's own stance against Bill C-16 which fuelled his rise to prominence. I don't think he was expecting this but now that he is in this position, it suits him to try and make as much hay out of this as possible. Ditto for various professional trolls among whom I would not count Peterson.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

I'm inclined to see it as much more of a good thing than a bad thing. The caveat is that then erosion of traditional bodies of collectivism and the promotion of individual agency and liberty aren't inherently linked. The Catholic Church has largely been crippled by the child abuse scandal, the banks nearly crashed the economy only to be bailed out by the state, trade unions have had their snouts in the trough for some time now, MP's have had the recent expenses scandal and so on...

This all makes sense. We all know that generally, people being mass indoctrinated into things is essentially a form of brainwashing. We still have large parts of the societal structures than continue in this vein but much of which is a necessity to form what we can envisage as a functioning society currently. The collective that I and I think the other poster is referring more towards is that people want that feeling of connection, they don't want it in a structured way that preaches but we know or at least I do that all people are important and we should be trying to do a better job at taking care of everyone. Funny enough, that makes you feel better as a person too if you have genuine empathy. Things aren't right at the moment and people know it which is why the likes of Peterson is able to gain such a cult following because people want something to believe in.

The actual content of what you said is an interesting one about two people getting heavy with each other on the street and been rattling in the head. On one side I think we need some sort of social decorum to interact with each other on a daily basis. On another side, I think is that just my nature expunging from me that has been shaped by my life in rather a conservative way toward people showing affection. What is so wrong with two people feeling horny for each other and showing it and why do I even think of that in a negative way when it is displayed in public.

It gets weirder again if we break down the social walls a little further. Let's say we were OK with two people having sex in a park in full public view. Would it also then be OK to watch those two people. Would you watch? :p

Won't somebody think of the children.

• Advertisement

The actual content of what you said is an interesting one about two people getting heavy with each other on the street and been rattling in the head. On one side I think we need some sort of social decorum to interact with each other on a daily basis. On another side, I think is that just my nature expunging from me that has been shaped by my life in rather a conservative way toward people showing affection. What is so wrong with two people feeling horny for each other and showing it and why do I even think of that in a negative way when it is displayed in public.

It gets weirder again if we break down the social walls a little further. Let's say we were OK with two people having sex in a park in full public view. Would it also then be OK to watch those two people. Would you watch? :p

Won't somebody think of the children.

Because for society to function there needs to be limits on the acceptable behavior of it's members. Generalised measures of acceptance for types of behavior because without those limits, it gives encouragement to anarchy, and civil unrest.

We don't live in a society of limited views... and allowing complete freedom to people to behave whatever way they wish will guarantee conflict between those who feel strongly enough about it. Even for those who don't feel strongly enough to act out, it creates resentment that their values are not being taken into consideration.

It also begs the question, that if certain forms of behavior are allowed to become available, why are others not allowed? Why can't I, with my religious or masochistic tendencies, whip myself to bloody shreds in the park? Why is two people screwing more agreeable than my right to express myself through self-mutilation? And how are my belief that self-mutilation is wrong when you consider transgender operations to be acceptable?

Society needs to have limits. It's a Pandora's box waiting to be opened, and honestly, I feel the lid is being opened as we speak, with no consideration to how it will affect society in the near future.

Don't get me wrong. I am very open-minded on most issues. I just believe that people should do these things in the privacy of their own home, and not push their views/behavior on to others who have no wish to observe them.

I agree but I think the logic of acceptability falls down with regards to two people showing some eager affection for each other on the street. Why do we think of sex, love etc in such a refrained way that, that is deemed unacceptable? That seems more of a deep seeded conservative viewpoint with what we deem as acceptable levels of affection than making society function normally.

Originally, I would have agreed with you, but I don't see that many positive changes occuring. Oh, sure it is good that we have SSM, or that Gay people are not being arrested in the streets for being gay... but it seems to me that there is too much of a rush to tear down the boundaries of the past rules/expectations, and very little being provided to replace them.

I'm one of those people who thrives on complete freedom.. but very few people I've met are the same as me. Most of those I know need the security of rules, regulations, social conventions, etc. They need to know where the walls are to avoid the sense of being lost.
    Pretty much. Membership of some of the bodies I mention above imply participation in a higher cause which can help one feel fulfilled and purposeful. A trade union employee might see themselves as the guardian of their members' rights and welfare against an avaricious and uncaring employer for example. All this has been replaced by consumer capitalism which amounts to little more than "Buy this thing and you'll be happy". Of course, there's always another thing and reality never meets expectation.

Totally agree.
    This is largely an online phenomenon, largely confined to certain sites and social media which is itself inherently anathema to the idea of civilised, mature debate. Most people, I've found don't subscribe to many "-isms" if any. If it transpired that, say a toy company had used a harmful variety of paint only a small few would argue for the state to nationalise it or to have a bonfire of toy and paint regulations. They'd just expect the firm to issue a recall and pay compensation where necessary.

I think a certain few troublemakers are intent on pushing the idea that we're losing our free speech for their own personal gain. It's was Peterson's own stance against Bill C-16 which fuelled his rise to prominence. I don't think he was expecting this but now that he is in this position, it suits him to try and make as much hay out of this as possible. Ditto for various professional trolls among whom I would not count Peterson.

This was largely an online phenomenon. I've seen a number of people here on boards say the same thing, and for the most part, I agree with you. For Ireland. But it is changing. The division between the Internet and our RLs is diminishing everyday. The ease of access to the internet through phones, tablets, etc is making the ideas there far more accessible to the general public, and with the loss of respect for traditional media, people are turning to the Net for opinions... [There's also the educational angle, in that these ideas are making its way into Irish Universities]

I came back to Ireland last year (I'd been gone for mostly a decade with a few short holidays back), and have spent the time meeting old friends, old loves, relations, etc. Or travelling to places I knew from before both in Ireland and in Europe.

And the range of conversations I've had has been rather broad, along with the conversations I've overheard in cafes, bars, etc. This "Internet Think" is here. It's being spoken about commonly, as is the feminist angle of things. The Gender wage gap, the need for gender diversity, Transgender rights, etc, these are all being talked about, and the opinions of online authors are being used to justify opinions...

So, no, I don't think it's simply an online phenomenon anymore.

id probably direct you to the work of people such as joe stiglitz, richard wolff and kate raworth for such info, plenty of others doing similar research though

Originally, I would have agreed with you, but I don't see that many positive changes occuring. Oh, sure it is good that we have SSM, or that Gay people are not being arrested in the streets for being gay... but it seems to me that there is too much of a rush to tear down the boundaries of the past rules/expectations, and very little being provided to replace them.

I'm one of those people who thrives on complete freedom.. but very few people I've met are the same as me. Most of those I know need the security of rules, regulations, social conventions, etc. They need to know where the walls are to avoid the sense of being lost.

Right but in the case of SSM, the boundary was replaced. The constitution was amended to eliminate the reference to sex. The limit of marriage being between two people remains intact.

Individual liberty shouldn't be compromsied simply because some individuals can't handle it. Gay marriage being illegal wasn't helping anyone.
    This was largely an online phenomenon. I've seen a number of people here on boards say the same thing, and for the most part, I agree with you. For Ireland. But it is changing. The division between the Internet and our RLs is diminishing everyday. The ease of access to the internet through phones, tablets, etc is making the ideas there far more accessible to the general public, and with the loss of respect for traditional media, people are turning to the Net for opinions...

I came back to Ireland last year (I'd been gone for mostly a decade with a few short holidays back), and have spent the time meeting old friends, old loves, relations, etc. Or travelling to places I knew from before both in Ireland and in Europe.

And the range of conversations I've had has been rather broad, along with the conversations I've overheard in cafes, bars, etc. This "Internet Think" is here. It's being spoken about commonly, as is the feminist angle of things. The Gender wage gap, the need for gender diversity, Transgender rights, etc, these are all being talked about, and the opinions of online authors are being used to justify opinions...

So, no, I don't think it's simply an online phenomenon anymore.

I think it is still largely online. You are right of course in pointing out that people are discarding traditional media in favour of online opinions and these are consequently spreading. The internet makes it easier for people to inform themselves but it does come with the caveat of echo chambers.

However, I've found that the polarisation effect of the internet and social media in particular rapidly dissipates when engaging most people in real life. People might be getting opinions from it but not with the same zeal as online bloggers, activists and the like.

H. H. Asquith

Wake up for a start and be alive. Actually embrace the here and now and live. Much of what I mean is talked about in that Harris video I posted where people never truly connect with the present moment and end up living life in the future or the past. The movement to fix it will only happen when enough people are awake to see a change is needed. At the moment there is an acceptance that things are this way and it is the best we can achieve. That needs to change. People can't look at the world and see what we are doing is crazy and we are doing a terrible job of caring for people in the world. They can't do that because they are so consumed with their own lives in this age of ME. Trying to find happiness in all the wrong places, sleeping walking through life.

Well.. I actually recommend drugs, and living outside of your home country for at least 2-3 years. See a bit of other cultures completely different from your own. Take a breather. Relax, and reappraise what is important in your life. :D

And then commit yourself to seeking what you want. No hedging. No pissing about. No losing your focus because of other peoples needs. Be selfish. Look to your needs and those you care about, and ignore the rest.

But.. that's not going to happen.
    Agree with it all but if people could see the joy that it brings to care about the collective. To actually see pain and suffering and not think of it as some logical exercise towards their brain of computing, "oh that is sad". Instead let the pain in and show genuine compassion and understanding it relates to all the other feelings in life you don't experience because you dull the pain, you dull everything to live like that. Being a good person is its own reward.

Um,.. nah. I'm not going down this road with you because it's a thread in itself.
    You are on shaky ground with me here. I don't believe people should be able to just say what they want. I agree the ability to do so is incredibly freeing for you personally but it should always come with a caveat of caring and understanding of the people around you are just trying to get through this life thing. Many with little understanding that you have as a person. Jim Carey recently came to this realisation and he showed up at some fashion event deriding the whole thing as one of the most vacuous things we are doing on planet earth. He may be right but he comes at things from what I can see of having lived in a money bubble with little understanding of how hard and difficult life is for many people. He doesn't know those people he is talking to. He doesn't know their struggle. What gives him the right to judge without that knowledge.

Consequences... It comes down to recognising that there are consequences to your actions, and that you bear responsibility for those actions. Oh, sure, you cannot assume complete responsibility since you have zero control over what the other person thinks or how the respond, but you can factor these things into the decision making process, and make a choice. And bear the responsibility for that choice.

I did a full year of 100% honesty. I lost the vast majority of friends I had at the time, and gained a minority of people who appreciated the honesty. A very slim number of people accepting it.... because people don't really want honesty from others. The key is to decide when being honest benefits you the most, and just keep quiet the remainder of the time.

As for judging others, everyone does it. Knowledge isn't a requirement. You walk down the street, any person you look at for more than 3 seconds, you've made some kind of judgment about them. Their appearance, their attitude, who they are with, etc. It's human nature to judge those around us, and pretending that's not so, is pointless. The word is full of ignorant people... because all of us are ignorant at different points in our lives. I certainly have been... and I've seen the same in others.

Well.. I actually recommend drugs, and living outside of your home country for at least 2-3 years. See a bit of other cultures completely different from your own. Take a breather. Relax, and reappraise what is important in your life. :D

And then commit yourself to seeking what you want. No hedging. No pissing about. No losing your focus because of other peoples needs. Be selfish. Look to your needs and those you care about, and ignore the rest.

But.. that's not going to happen.

I agree that both things are useful tools :) People are so lost in this world though with the pressure of work, need to survive etc it becomes a rat race where it is hard to gain traction out of that bubble and that life consumes you on a path to places you maybe think you want but from what I have experienced and seen, those roads don't lead anywhere good.

I'm not with you on the being selfish thing. I think if we all cared a little more we could cause change. One of the main problems with the world is that the good people stay quiet far too often and it is the assholes who end up running the show which is why so many things are ****ed up. Someone once said all it takes for bad people to do bad things is for good people to stand by and say nothing. I understand the feeling of helplessness but that inner voice gnaws quite badly at me as a person when I put the head down and work towards my own selfish goals

Consequences... It comes down to recognising that there are consequences to your actions, and that you bear responsibility for those actions. Oh, sure, you cannot assume complete responsibility since you have zero control over what the other person thinks or how the respond, but you can factor these things into the decision making process, and make a choice. And bear the responsibility for that choice.

I did a full year of 100% honesty. I lost the vast majority of friends I had at the time, and gained a minority of people who appreciated the honesty. A very slim number of people accepting it.... because people don't really want honesty from others. The key is to decide when being honest benefits you the most, and just keep quiet the remainder of the time.

As for judging others, everyone does it. Knowledge isn't a requirement. You walk down the street, any person you look at for more than 3 seconds, you've made some kind of judgment about them. Their appearance, their attitude, who they are with, etc. It's human nature to judge those around us, and pretending that's not so, is pointless. The word is full of ignorant people... because all of us are ignorant at different points in our lives. I certainly have been... and I've seen the same in others.

Those would align pretty strongly with my views apart from the judging thing. I only ever judge people these days if I can't find a moral compass in them and they seem like not good people. I can usually dig enough to find reasons for that lack of empathy but it isn't always forgivable.

I will think, oh that person looks cool in those clothes etc but those are just superficial things which mean very little to me other than what I am seeing with my eyes. They are just signal to my brain that is shaped by the world but I understand in my brain I have no idea about that person. What you see with your eyes is very little in this world.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

However, I've found that the polarisation effect of the internet and social media in particular rapidly dissipates when engaging most people in real life. People might be getting opinions from it but not with the same zeal as online bloggers, activists and the like.
    I would suggest that rather than not showing the same zeal they're hiding it in public because they might get called on it in a face to face meeting. I have certainly heard conversations with quite extreme views from many sides of the fence. Much like how the interwebs has become, they only do so among people of similar views.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Pug160

I guess I'm a little bit surprised at Peterson's detractors here. I'm not completely sure what I was expecting, but it was probably more along the lines of ''he's not my cup of tea but has some interesting things to say'', or something to that effect. It seems like the division here goes along the same lines as elsewhere. He's controversial and no one can really know for sure what his motivation truly is (he doesn't appear to be a decadent man wallowing in luxury) so we can only speculate. If he's not geniune he's a very good actor. He seems to be addressing issues that have been perhaps spiralling out of control, or bubbling under the surface at the very least. Maybe there is an element of paranoia but there are genuine concerns that a large number of people have, and if no one actually speaks up you're left with a very vocal minority perhaps. There is definitely a tolerance issue within a certain section of the left, just as there is on the right, and I think the ''when does the left go too far?'' question was a very relevant question to pose as well.

I get that there are some people who seem to be like Marmite and can be difficult to warm to, but I do think that intelligent, critical thinkers should try harder to separate an individial's opinions rather than just make their minds up before they objectively think it through. It's very rare to find someone you completely disagree with anyway. People usually have more in common than what is acknowledged. Stephen Fry (the other ''stupid person's idea of what an intelligent person is'') was able to sit down alongside Peterson and actually be on the same side of the particular debate that was going on. He would have been almost certainly criticised for that but it was an admirable thing for him to do. As for people like Sam Harris: they are unbelievably logical and well spoken and deserve all the praise they're getting. A lot of the prominent atheists and sceptics have obviously done the world a great favour in promoting that kind of rationality, but I do feel that it only goes so far at times and doesn't necessarily touch people in the way other forms of communication do. It sometimes feels as though I'm listening to a very intelligent robot.

• Advertisement

This would be a long conversation. I don't think he is a bad actor. I actually think he is being the person he thinks he is.

Advertisement