Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Rugby Discussion II

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,833 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

This aged well!

all 55 mins of it :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Clegg wrote: »
    Lions to to go ahead in Britain according to this Welsh rugby reporter. It'll be a 4 test series also.

https://twitter.com/simonrug/status/1367050499111936000?s=09
    4 tests. So one each in Dublin, Cardiff, Edinburgh and London I presume. And if the 4 franchises are basing themselves up here for the Rainbow Cup, then no issues with player quarantine either.

4 tests. So one each in Dublin, Cardiff, Edinburgh and London I presume. And if the 4 franchises are basing themselves up here for the Rainbow Cup, then no issues with player quarantine either.

id imagine the four tests will take place in stadia that can take fans in the first instance.

its looking more likely that the UK will be ahead of Ireland in their reopening by that stage... so there may not be a Dublin test if we still have no or low crowd gatherings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,721 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

sydthebeat wrote: »
    id imagine the four tests will take place in stadia that can take fans in the first instance.

its looking more likely that the UK will be ahead of Ireland in their reopening by that stage... so there may not be a Dublin test if we still have no or low crowd gatherings

It's being reported that it'll be one in each country, although I wonder if they could hold one up in Ravenhill, smaller stadium but if NI are following the rest of the UK in terms of the vaccination schedule and reopening they could have a decent sized crowd.

I'm still in the 'I'll believe this when I see it' camp but would be a novelty for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭hahashake

I'm still in the 'I'll believe this when I see it' camp but would be a novelty for sure.

A lot of rushing to conclusions every time a new proposal comes out. Even if UK and/or Ireland are able to have full capacity stadiums, cases in either camp throws it all up in the air, e.g. France in the 6N.

hahashake wrote: »
    A lot of rushing to conclusions every time a new proposal comes out. Even if UK and/or Ireland are able to have full capacity stadiums, cases in either camp throws it all up in the air, e.g. France in the 6N.

And as much as the vaccine is rolling out case numbers are still quite high in Europe and when things open up those numbers will go up again.

I hope we get some kind of tour - but until it's officially announced I would be wary taking anything from the media at face value.

• Administrators Posts: 54,091 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Surely this only makes sense if they expect full stadiums? That doesn't seem likely to me in the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

This aged well!

Unfortunately, I think I'm right...we shall see over the next few days though....would love the games to be over here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Miriam Gonzalez Durantez

Something for us all to be wary of and have possibly been guilty of:

Link:

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/rugby/arid-40237844.html

Rugby Players Ireland urge public to 'be kind' as trend of online abuse continues
    'By showcasing some of the content that has been directed at players, this series of animated videos is an important step in highlighting online trolling and the impact of such behaviours'
    Rugby Players Ireland urge public to 'be kind' as trend of online abuse continues
    Ireland players look dejected after conceding a third try during the Six Nations clash with England last year. In recent times, players are becoming more and more targeted by online trolls on social media sending abusive messages. Picture: Brendan Moran/Sportsfile
    THU, 04 MAR, 2021 - 15:06
    SIMON LEWIS
    A new animated series of video encouraging people to “be kind online” has been released by Rugby Players Ireland and Z Zurich Foundation to combat worrying toxic abuse towards players on social media.

The first of three videos to be rolled out over the final stages of the current Guinness Six Nations was released on Thursday as the latest stage of RPI’s Tackle Your Feelings campaign, which began in 2016.

It focuses on toxic abuse relating to player performance, with the video’s content voiced by children in an attempt to tackle trolling and highlighting racism and sexism on social media. RPI said all three animations were created using real tweets that have been directed at Irish rugby players.

“Whilst social media can be a very positive force, as we have seen particularly during the lockdowns, Irish rugby players have been tagged in some toxic abuse on social media and through DMs,” Rugby Players Ireland CEO Simon Keogh said at the launch of the video.

poster
    360p geselecteerd als afspeelkwaliteit720p geselecteerd als afspeelkwaliteit
    logo
    00:59
    A new animated series of video encouraging people to “be kind online” has been released by Rugby Players Ireland and Z Zurich Foundation
    “By showcasing some of the content that has been directed at players, this series of animated videos is an important step in highlighting online trolling and the impact of such behaviours.

“With the Tackle Your Feelings campaign, we are aiming to tackle the mental impact trolling can have on individuals whilst also urging people to be kind online. I would encourage everyone to visit www.tackleyourfeelings.com to find out more about overcoming the impact it has on mental wellbeing.”

Gareth Anscombe set to return for the rainbow Cup.

Great to hear

Gareth Anscombe set to return for the rainbow Cup.

Great to hear

Almost two years and 3 operations later. Fantastic news.

https://twitter.com/beaudenbarrett/status/1368225254254936067

Edit: already posted in the Prem thread!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,822 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Saracens lose to Cornish Pirates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Eod100 wrote: »
    Saracens lose to Cornish Pirates

Didn't even get a losing bonus point!.

• Advertisement

British & Irish Lions have declined the offer from Australia to host the tour... looking like a closed doors tour in South Africa now.
    Again, unless the English government are willing to underwrite the costs, it won't go ahead on these shores

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

British & Irish Lions have declined the offer from Australia to host the tour... looking like a closed doors tour in South Africa now.
    Again, unless the English government are willing to underwrite the costs, it won't go ahead on these shores

Sunday Times today reports that UK govt will indeed back it.

Sunday Times today reports that UK govt will indeed back it.

I'd need to see it from a credible source tbh.... Stephen Jones isn't high on my list

Sonny Bill has announced his retirement from both codes of rugby...he will continue his boxing career.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭OldRio

Money money money. Not sure how this is worked out but......

https://twitter.com/RuaidhriOC/status/1369948370496872453?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I'm a bit confused as to why Wales gets more money than either Scotland or Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Wales need to pump a lot of that money into the regional sides.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,270 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Bazzo wrote: »
    I'm a bit confused as to why Wales gets more money than either Scotland or Ireland

Viewership figures?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,239 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Any idea what this means for broadcast rights for the Six Nations going forward? I was expecting CVC to have a bigger stake than 1/7, putting a nail in the FTA model.

Who is the most well-travelled rugby player? i.e. played professionally (or otherwise) in the most countries? Pro clubs regardless of country could be interesting too.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Who is the most well-travelled rugby player? i.e. played professionally (or otherwise) in the most countries? Pro clubs regardless of country could be interesting too.

Marty Banks

Marty Banks

I see 4 countries:
    NZ
    Russia
    Italy
    Japan

Brad Thorn has:
    NZ
    Australia
    Ireland
    England
    Japan

Hadleigh Parkes has:
    NZ
    South Africa
    Wales
    Japan

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I didn't read it properly, thought it was in terms of distance. I read a mad interview with him a while back about his travels

Marty Banks

nonu must be up there too

new zealand, japan, france and USA

• Advertisement

Playing in Russia must be the biggest culture shock. Japan might be culturally more different than the West but the rugby culture in Russia...I can't even imagine what that is like.

Alby Mathewson got about a bit.

Eod100 wrote: »
    Alby Mathewson got about a bit.

Wellington
    Hurricanes
    Blues
    Auckland
    Force
    Hawke's Bay
    Canterbury

Bristol
    King Country
    Toulon
    Munster
    Ulster

Wow. And still playing fairly well at the age of 35 as a back.

Edit: 5 countries too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

If you count Union and League Sonny Bill is another player on 5.

New Zealand
    Australia
    France
    Canada
    Japan

Dan Parkes is probably a rare example of a man who played in all of the home unions. He also played Shute Shield, which is probably MLR Level to be fair but if we don't count it he only played in four countries.

England (Leeds, then a prem team)
    Scotland (Glasgow)
    Wales (Cardiff)
    Ireland (Connacht)

Can't think of anyone else with that full house.

Nathan Hines is another man with 5 countries if you count semi pro Australian rugby.

Manly
    Edinburgh
    Perpignan
    Leinster
    Clermont
    Sale

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Sireli Bobo is a good shout: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sireli_Bobo

Very good very good

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Including Portugal and Spain in his travels... Nice.

three cheers !!!

im counting 6 countries there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Cronan Gleeson. lower levels but played pro in England, France, Ireland, Australia, Spain and America.
    Stade Montois, Newcastle Falcons, San Diego Legion, Getxo, Munster

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

three cheers !!!

im counting 6 countries there?

I get 7

Fiji
    Portugal
    Spain
    New Zealand
    Italy
    Japan
    France

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Cronan Gleeson. lower levels but played pro in England, France, Ireland, Australia, Spain and America.
    Stade Montois, Newcastle Falcons, San Diego Legion, Getxo, Munster

I had a few mates who played a bit of NPC rugby back in NZ and then spent most of their 20s whoring themselves out to semi-pro clubs around the world. They'd get anywhere from a few hundred to a couple of grand a week, accommodation and a car. Great way to travel around.

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    I had a few mates who played a bit of NPC rugby back in NZ and then spent most of their 20s whoring themselves out to semi-pro clubs around the world. They'd get anywhere from a few hundred to a couple of grand a week, accommodation and a car. Great way to travel around.

Was just gonna say, there are definitely a few amateur/semi pros who have done similar numbers or better than any of the pros! Makes me wish I was a better player!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Best team of Irish players playing outside Ireland at teh moment?

1. Conan O'Donnell
    2. Bryan Byrne
    3. Oisín Heffernan
    4. Donnacha Ryan
    5. Jack Regan
    7. Sean O'Brien
    9. Jack Stafford (how's he getting on at Quims?)
    10. Paddy Jackson
    12. Stuart Olding
    13. Ian Whitten
    14. Niyi Adeolokun
    15. Simon Zebo

17. Peter McCabe
    19. Darren O'Shea
    21. Stephen Kerins
    22. Ian Keatley
    23. Noel Reid

Best team of Irish players playing outside Ireland at teh moment?

1. Conan O'Donnell
    2. Bryan Byrne
    3. Oisín Heffernan
    4. Donnacha Ryan
    5. Jack Regan
    7. Sean O'Brien
    9. Jack Stafford (how's he getting on at Quims?)
    10. Paddy Jackson
    12. Stuart Olding
    13. Ian Whitten
    14. Niyi Adeolokun
    15. Simon Zebo

17. Peter McCabe
    19. Darren O'Shea
    21. Stephen Kerins
    22. Ian Keatley
    23. Noel Reid

Move Zebo to the left wing and Kearney at full back. Think Paddy Butler is still playing in Japan could take one of the back row spots?

Edit: presume Robin Copeland is still playing in France too?

Stafford hasn't played at all for Quins seniors since he signed, he's listed under the academy squad on their site which is a bit strange considering he's 24 now.

James Hart is still starting games for Biarritz so would have him in the mix. Dave O'Callaghan has started for them at 6 as well for a few games.

• Advertisement

Wayne Barnes explains head on head contact

https://youtu.be/fcqcZB3fNuA

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Wayne Barnes explains head on head contact

https://youtu.be/fcqcZB3fNuA

That is one of the weirdest rugby related videos I have ever watched :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    That is one of the weirdest rugby related videos I have ever watched :D

And yet informative and easy to follow. I had already seen his wife ripping the piss out of the videos on Twitter so knew what to expect before watching, but it was still very strange.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

molloyjh wrote: »
    And yet informative and easy to follow. I had already seen his wife ripping the piss out of the videos on Twitter so knew what to expect before watching, but it was still very strange.

Saw this as well, brilliant:

https://twitter.com/pollybarnes_/status/1354890402797670405

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Kearney with some great positioning as always to make a couple of critical tackles for the force, great to see him still playing well.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement