Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,151 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Don't bother, its dreadful, the worst in the series by a long way.

Yeah, I saw it in the cinema when it came out, haven't watched it since. I put the first 20 mins on recently and then skipped out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,321 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The U.K. government is to exempt some leading U.S. actors, such as Tom Cruise, and crew from its 14-day travel quarantine to allow Hollywood blockbusters to resume production.

The move follows a conversation between culture secretary Oliver Dowden and Cruise last week about restarting filming on the latest “Mission: Impossible” movie. The exemption will allow “Mission: Impossible 7” – starring and produced by Cruise – to restart filming at Warner Bros. Studios Leavesden, near London.

https://variety.com/2020/film/global/u-k-to-offer-hollywood-actors-exemption-from-quarantine-rules-1234698349/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

It's funny what money can do.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

An industry worth about £15 billion a year, money talks. The UK - well, let's be honest, English - government appears to be throwing caution to the wind with its reopening policy and letting a lot of its guidelines slide. Especially it seems if your surnames are Cruise (Cummings or Johnson :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Psychiatric Patrick

This is a few days old but is interesting.

McQuarrie responding to recent claims that he and Cruise wanted to destroy a protected monument in Poland and that Polish authorities were all for it.

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/christopher-mcquarrie-responds-to-mission-impossible-7-bridge-destruction-reports-exclusive/

A very strange story. Makes me very curious to know who the person is and what job on the movie they wanted.

• Advertisement

Tom Cruise tore into members of the “Mission Impossible 7” crew for breaching COVID-19 safety protocols, according to an audio recording obtained by The Sun that has gone viral.

https://www.aol.com/tom-cruise-explodes-mission-impossible-090009875.html

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

• Registered Users Posts: 60,352 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

They have stopped filming 7 & 8 back to back now and are going to finish 7 and take a break as Cruise has to promote Top Gun for it's release in July and then return to finish 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,905 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Will now open on May 27, 2022, Memorial Day weekend, a holiday frame that has been a home for the franchise for its first 1996 chapter and 2000 sequel. Meanwhile, Mission: Impossible 8 is now opening on July 7, 2023 instead of November 4, 2022.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Empire has an article on MI7, and there's a photo I think is spoiling the latest "Tom Cruise tries to kill himself" set-piece; no doubt it'll feature heavily in the trailer (whenever that happens), but for those staying spoiler-free, it'll involve ...
    a train

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/tom-cruise-mission-impossible-7-saving-cinema/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

pixelburp wrote: »
    Empire has an article on MI7, and there's a photo I think is spoiling the latest "Tom Cruise tries to kill himself" set-piece; no doubt it'll feature heavily in the trailer (whenever that happens), but for those staying spoiler-free, it'll involve ...
    a train

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/tom-cruise-mission-impossible-7-saving-cinema/

A video went around on Twitter of them filming it, it all looked very relaxed.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,352 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Filming in the UK shut down for at least 10 days due to a Covid outbreak.

For anyone curious about more details on what death-defying stunt Cruise will attempt this time, apparently at CinemaCon Paramount gave some details; I'm spoiler-texting it just in case some people wanna keep the surprise - though presumably the trailers will have snippets of it.

During Paramount’s presentation at CinemaCon 2021, exhibitors were treated to a 10-minute video detailing Cruise’s latest stunt. This one will see him drive a motorcycle off an actual cliff, jump off the motorcycle in mid-air, freefall a few seconds, and then parachute to the bottom of a huge gorge. And, of course, it’s actually Tom Cruise doing this. Not a stunt person. So he had to practice and train a lot to be able to pull if off.

Over the course of a year, Cruise completed about 500 skydives, which sometimes included 30 in one day, as well as 13,000 motocross jumps on a specially constructed track. All of this was done to make sure Cruise was a complete expert at not just base jumping and parachuting but motocross too. He’d need to be all of those things to pull off the stunt on the day.

Sometimes you really, seriously gotta wonder if Cruise's reach might one day exceed his grasp. This does sound especially dangerous ... but then again so did all the others!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

When most viewers see these sequences they just assume it’s CGI or a stunt man, unless they read the article or watched the featurette on the making of in advance of course. As impressive as Cruise’s stunts are, I am not sure they contribute in a meaningful way to making the action seem more authentic anymore. Rather than demonstrating commitment to the film they just seem to be a way for Cruise to do his rich guy in a midlife crisis thrill-seeking hobbies while also being paid.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,147 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I dunno, I don’t think ‘Tom Cruise using studio to work through his lengthy mid-life crisis’ and ‘physical stunts making the film better’ are mutually exclusive. I don’t pretend to speak for every viewer, but the joy of the recent MI films is their sheer commitment to the physicality of the action. Your stomach flips when Ethan steps out of that Dubai tower - few CG action sequences can ever hope to have that same effect.

If I watch a Buster Keaton or classic Jackie Chan film, I am still wowed by the relentless dare devil spirit of those actors. It will never not be impressive to see Chan’s big mall stunt at the end of Police Story. It’s something that’s all but absent in modern cinema - quite rightly for healthy and safety reasons in many cases 😅 But at least there’s one ongoing series willing to push the boundaries of the physical action we’ve seen on screen before. Sure, it might also be Tom Cruise being an obscenely wealthy thrillseeker… but as long as the films are good and the stunts are spectacular, I’ll hold my objections.

I dunno about the first bit; Cruise has rebranded himself as the modern Buster Keaton willing to endanger himself for jollies. I'd have said it's well understood across audiences the MI franchise is about real, dangerous stunt work. While the cinematography has always been such that there's never doubt it's Cruise hanging off the side of that plane, as a for instance. God, It still looks so amazing, precisely because it's authentic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Cruise's stunts are going well past the kind of physicality of Buster Keaton or Jackie Chan though or the kind of stunts he did earlier in his career. In the last M:I it was really him flying the helicopter while it was going into a dive. Now how do you shoot that so that audience knows or cares that it's really Cruise? You can see they tried their best but I am not sure it really comes across. Audiences have seen Cruise in similar sequences in the past which would have been mostly blue screen or stunt men and I am not sure what difference it makes if it was really him in a few of the shots.

Tom Cruise's BMW was robbed in England.

They should make a real life documentary of Cruise trying to hunt down the scumbags who robbed his car.

That would make a better film than another MI.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-9931055/Tom-Cruise-thousands-pounds-worth-luggage-stolen-thieves-bodyguards-BMW.html

The helicopter scene in MI6 did not impress me at all.

Arnie flying the harrier jet in True Lies was for more impression and that wasn't even real.

I feel they could of done the helicopter scene just as well without cruise flying the helicopter for real.

Again I dunno, I think it was pretty clear it wasn't a stunt man in those scenes, the cameras around the cockpit working to show it was the actor at the wheel. As did the exterior cameras for what was clearly a gruelling climb (presumably harnesses were air brushed out). In this clip you can sorta see the difference between the "on a set", green screen cockpit during the fist fight, and the bright, in situ cockpit when Cruise was flying a real chopper.

But like I said I think the franchise now trades on its audience understanding the stunts are, for intents and purposes, real.

• Advertisement

Mentioned in the Top Gun thread already, but this has been pushed back to a September 30th 2022 opening. Don't think #8 ever had a release date, despite the (apparent) back to back shoot.

Post edited by pixelburp on

M:I7 will now be released July 14, 2023 (previously Sept. 2022)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Title confirmed by Cruise. https://variety.com/2022/film/news/mission-impossible-7-official-title-tom-cruise-1235243504/

Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,147 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Discuss: Mission Impossible is the only consistently great long-running Hollywood series, and the new one looks bloody fantastic.

Steam train set piece. Car chase in a little yellow car. I mean, what else do you want?

The only thing I want is for it to release this July 😄

I'd agree with that. Number 2 was bad, really bad and has aged like milk, but the whole series has been the gold star for Hollywood action blockbusters. Fallout set the bar and would consider it on a par with Fury Road for best in class.

Now, much of that success' foundation is built on its star's willingness to risk life and limb for the pursuit of increasingly crazy stunts. Even when Cruise did injure himself during the shoot of Fallout, the accident made it into the final cut. But the end result are a set of movies whose action is just unparalleled in American cinema. Once Cruise retires from action cinema, you'd have to imagine that'll be it for the series.

I wonder what Christopher McQuarrie will do after cos you'd imagine he has opened a good number of doors for himself.

As for the trailer? Yes please. Looks absolutely stonking. Proper action cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭santana75

Did Cruise do the motorbike off a cliff stunt near the end of the trailer?

Apparently, yes. Don't have the article but there was an interview that went into it, the logistics of performing it safely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I watched that and thought "this has to be a trailer for both parts" but no, just part one. I have to say I agree the M:I series is one of the best action wise but I thought Fallout was overstuffed with action for the sake of it (did they really need to Halo jump to a party in Paris?). I'm slightly concerned this might suffer from the same problem and I also know McQuarrie likes to write on the fly, which again I think showed in Fallout. I still enjoyed it but Ghost Protocol is still the best for me.

Advertisement