Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Emulation Discussion

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,816 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yeah maybe limit to the bad gems engine games and the 32x doom port.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,549 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Play DOS and Windows games in browser

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,755 ✭✭✭Inviere

Pretty exciting developments around dynamic recompilation techniques for N64 games here. Granted individual games will require individual tweaks etc, but I can imagine a library of such being formed and the frontend pulling down the fixes automatically in the future. Amazing results...

Post edited by Inviere on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,885 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Texture pack support as well. Should lead to some pretty nice looking conversions.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,816 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Got an anbernic rg35xx for the nephew so he can try some retro games. He hasn't managed to grasp modern games yet so maybe this will help and he is obsessed with the old Mario games despite not having played them.

Decent little device although the aspect ratio being stretched is annoying. It says it supports PS1 emulation but that's a big stretch. The sound is lags way behind and it feels horrible to control. It's not worth bothering with but I think it would be beyond my nephew.

Anyway I cleaned up the roms and added some of my own and updated a favourites list for him. Got rid of most of the junk on there (some amount of shite was released on the GBA) and curated the game lists. Also got rid of the more violent games like splatter house, narc and MK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,061 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Are you using GarlicOS? Most people find it better than stock, including me, also the SD card and the ROM images that comes with it are junk.

I've found PS1 performance pretty good on virtually all games to be honest, I can't remember what setting you need to adjust but a couple of tweaks and PS1 is decent (it's not frameskip it's something else), there are threads on Reddit about it, because that's where I initially found it.

You could try overclocking it too to see if it improved performance but I've never needed to myself. (Pressing select on home screen on GarlicOS cycles through the underclock and overclocks two - - up to two + +.

You can change the aspect ratio, device by device in the Retroarch menu, not perfect but doesn't stretch to fill the screen, and you can add the overlays etc then. The Gameboy ones are decent.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Converting a 1up into a raspberry pi arcade for a friend.

Just wondering what's the best solution? Retropi or is there anything else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

Lot of sd card images on arcadepunks but the pi has 7 frames of input lag so it's not great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,246 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Take some photos as you go! Would love to see how that all works.

Using a pi4, do they all have input lag no matter what?

It's actually pretty basic. Just a LCD controller board and then some cheap Amazon parts is all

• Advertisement

Gave the rg35xx to the nephew. He had trouble with the OS. Had to tell him there's no touch screen 🤣 he eventually got it but then had trouble with the buttons in the games. Had to teach him how to use the buttons and how start was how you started most games. Still had a lot of trouble playing the likes of Mario, he just isn't there yet with games. He did settle on the sonic games, much simpler due to only using one button. Hopefully it teaches him to get better.

Anyway he was totally engrossed and wouldn't talk unless he wanted me to show him something.

Seemingly not an issue with a Pi4, as it can handle runahead. You may need to configure it per game though, and not all cores support it so it depends...

Yeah I was looking more at Retropi there and tbh I'm not up on emu stuff a whole lot but the recommended mame for pi4 anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,058 ✭✭✭Doge

Have to give this game a go again overlooked in an emulator.

I rented it back in the day and got to the final mission despite the slow frame rate.

It was the first combat or flight SIM I ever played and seemed impressive for the time. Probably the best combat sim on the mega drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,246 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

That and LHX Attack Chopper are crying out for someone to do an optimisation on them like that Road Rash improvement version.

Have that 1up arcade converted now and having serious problems getting the roms over.

I have my pc working off a deco for wifi and for some reason I cant access the pi to transfer files on the windows network.

Trying the transfer over USB isnt working at all. Tried multiple sticks with reformatting and everytime I insert the USB to the pi and then back into my pc its done nothing. Tried with mame and mega drive roms and its picking up nothing.

Looked up a few other people with the same problem and the answers were usually "just use wifi its easier"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

This made me look again what the improvement version was, ended up with Road Rash 1-to-3 playing on MiSTer with CD music in the MegaCD core (but low/regular fps). Didn't realise that the normal roms would have a FPS improvement in the old Mega Drive core, which should have been obvious when you use the 'CPU Turbo' setting.

RR3 is still a let down when you had the 3DO version looking amazing at the same time

Post edited by KeRbDoG on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Road Rash 3 is a let down, but only until you see the trainwreck of Road Rash CD, on the Mega CD, and then it isn't so bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,058 ✭✭✭Doge

Road rash 3 was the first one I played and I still prefer it to road rash on the playstation / pc / 3do. I'm like a broken record saying it at this stage but the latter is missing the mechanic where the faster opponents match your speed and you get into some epic fights and combat on the mega drive games.

That is totally missing from the latter and ruins the gameplay for me as you just speed past the leading racers most of the time.

Still had one of the best game intros though with Soundgarden's Rusty Cage!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I bought the 3DO on release and nothing could convince that, at that time, there were better games to play on any format ahead of Road Rash, Need for Speed, Return Fire and Star Control 2.

To some extent those remain the seminal titles of their franchises, if not of gaming in general.

I put unhealthy amounts of time into them, never wasted a minute!

• Advertisement

3DO

The Tory Mega CD

Looks like pcsx2 is fixing pretty much all the issues I have with it.

https://pcsx2.net/blog/2024/pcsx2-2-release/

Thats some blog entry. Hugely impressive work has gone on there over the last few years, and PCSX2 seems to be in great hands.

Dont envy them, the hardware is so unique.

I'm starting a new LaunchBox setup, my current one is so filled with systems that I've no real interest in (the fun was in setting them up!), and was never really made as a portable setup either (so copying it to new hardware etc is a real pain as the paths etc won't exist.) It's the first step towards building a dedicated CRTEmudriver PC really, and this new LaunchBox setup will be tightly curated in terms of systems and games.

While doing this, I see there's a newer FM Towns emulator which is quite a bit simpler to set up compared to Unz, and this will do nicely for the few games I'd want from an FM Towns Marty.

I'm also going to move towards Xemu instead of CXBX-Reloaded, so currently converting my folder based Xbox games to xiso images via the command line (extract-xiso).

The focus on this will be only the systems I actually want, no filler, tight curation, and a nice, effective couch friendly frontend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,885 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Kind of going the other way by adding more, but have you tried the new eXoDos v6?

I recently starting using it and I'm really liking the old DOS games on my arcade monitor as well as just running on my main PC with simulated CRT filters. It uses LaunchBox as the frontend, but you can merge it to an existing one as well. Spent many hours over the last 2 weeks playing some of the included 7600+ DOS games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,636 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Funny.......I was sort of thinking of starting from scratch with Launchbox as well as an excuse to tailor ExoDos into the current install, but 10mins into things on the PC with the heat outside dissuaded me from things sharpish 😅

Might well leave it as a post-summer project, but currently have ExoDos and my main Launchbox separate from each other and both seem happy, but the main install is just too bloated.

Some huge effort put into the Exo project all the same. Still need to import the other Exo installs for Scumm, Windows etc, but it is a great way to spend countless hours.

Tagging names not working here, nothing surprises me anymore with this bargain bin Vanilla backend....but yeah, Steve and McDermot, I've got a curated list of ExoDos v5 games manually integrated into my main (bloated) Launchbox setup...its an amazing piece of work by dedicated people, and really does just work.

Whether I'll bother with it for my new LB setup, I'm not sure yet. Things spiral fast with emulation frontend, and before you know it, you've a ton of stuff installed never to be played. There are some really amazing DOS games that I do hold dear, so I likely will give the new v6 a go.

Post edited by Inviere on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Very general emulation comment, but i run Linux (Ubuntu) which doesn't have as much support as Windows, in terms of gaming.

However, it does have Steam. Maybe I'm out of the loop but Steam has this "proton" stuff which is like WINE, and can emulate windows games.

I've been trying to get some games working in Heroic Launcher by manually installing wine and some other packages, with middling results, but i found a really good trick in steam that I wasn't aware of.

In Steam, you go into your library and chose the option to add a non-steam game. You can pick any game but in my case i picked the Blizzard Launcher exe. It just worked. I was able to install the launcher, log in, and then install StarCraft on my linux machine, all as if i was on a windows machine. Everything just worked. I was impressed!

Next step is to try with some other Windows software and see if it works too. I've tried before using WINE and failed so this could open up some new possibilities.

• Advertisement

Still tipping away at this, the amount of stuff I've gotten rid of is mad. All the MSU1 stuff is great and all, but these days if I'm going to bother playing a game, I'll want to play it as it originally was. 100+GB of MSU1 stuff nuked, same for the Megadrive....romhacks (not a great time to be deleting rom hacks, but I did keep a handful of the truly great ones), translations of games I'll never play, systems I never ever bother with....

I've cleaned a lot of clutter from my roms smb share too. Doing all of that has reduced the amount of emulators needed right down too, so it all feels much more accessible and baggage-free.

Glad I started this now, as I've been putting it off for months.

Advertisement