Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Emulation Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

This is a good written guide. There's a Rom collection called Tiny Best Set on archive. org that has the artwork all ready to go for the rg35 too, and it's a lot better than the collection that comes with the device, I'd advise getting a better quality microSD card as well, as the one that comes with it is supposedly very flaky.

Tl;dr probably an hour or two of messing will make it a better experience.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭gucci

Thanks for that link. Hopefully il be playing it by the weekend.....ahem I mean hopefully I'm testing it and making sure its correct for my son 😄😄

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The new Powkiddy RGB30 looks pretty nice, with an interesting 1:1 screen, perfect for handheld shenanigans

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mNqtb0U

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

For men and women too, according to the product page.

That reminds me of the old non politically correct blurb we used to have for the Nomad around these parts. What could be use now to be more socially acceptable? People love Nomadz?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I quite like the design of that - as with all these cheaper handhelds, it'll be made or broken based on how good those controls are. I even found the PSP hard to use as an emulation machine due to the D pad being awful.

😁

I don't know about you guys but I was always referencing female dogs with that line.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Oh,

It was beaches, they love da nomadz

Which is interesting because the hospital I work in, St Itas in Portrane, is right next to a couple of beaches and not one of them ever expressed affection or anything approaching arousal in the presence of my Sega Nomad, not even my Turbo Express had an effect.

This has been delivered and I am very impressed (have only had a quick dabble) feels re-assuringly solid, and the screen resolution is great.

Had a little game of crash bandicoot and bubble bobble that was preloaded on it. Going to give the tidy up advised above a go, and should be all set for Xmas morning.

Thank you for the advise, this seems to be exactly what i was after.

Im sure il be back next christmas for an upgrade/dads or mums gift 😁

Don't ask about upgrades, it's a very slippery slope....next thing you know you'll have a DE10 on the way....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭romperstomper

I always liked the PC engine games, has anyone heard of this new system?

https://www.wired.com/review/analogue-duo/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭tomcosgrave

Just got the Anbernic RG35xx + which was released in November. It's an upgrade to the RG35xx and has WiFi, Bluetooth and an upgraded chipset. Still plays up to to PS1 so really best for that console and previous. The firmware is not there yet, but the GarlicOS which is meant to be brilliant on the RG35Xxx is being redeveloped to V.2 so I'd say when that gets done it will become a brilliant machine. It's a shame Anbernic don't spend more time on firmware before releasing their devices, they really let themselves down in that regard. Both these devices have a mini-HDMI out port so it is a great option for using as a console as well as going mobile with it. Overall great value for money if you are prepared to do the leg work with the firmware and replace the cheapy SD card that comes with it. I'd say a goodly number of the ROMS are not the best either, so I have the previously mentioned Best Set Go collection ready to deploy but will hold until GarlicOS 2.0 comes out.

My 15 year old self and his friends from 30 years ago would be absolutely beside themselves if they could see the devices playing the games we played back then now. Truly, we are living in the future!

The RGB30 is a cracking little device, though the OS is a tad flaky at times, has a hard time with anything other than a basic phone charger and the screen plastic attracts greasy fingerprints like it was starting a collection.

Handheld emulation is wonderful, GB, GBC and A, even DS and then the likes of PSP, Lynx and so on.

Sure, it has DC, N64 and PS1 but I don't want it for that stuff at all.

The 8bit and 16bit home consoles look good too.

But the handheld stuff, on the 1:1 screen, just fantastic

Unfortunately our one is going back to santas workshop.

Played and loved for 3 days solid by young lad, day 4 didn't switch on (back light lit up but fails to boot) tried the tips online about replacing cards and etc but no joy.

Very disappointing, but will chance another one as it was such a big hit with my son. Loves bomberman and Mario.

I know he didn't drop it or anything as he literally didn't leave it out of his hands

• Registered Users Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Do you want me to send you mine as a loaner until you get the new one? I'm more than happy to, while you wait for Santa and his lazy Elves to pull their fingers out (and you wait for delivery from AliExpress or wherever) Only downside with mine is I made a balls of sticking the screen protector on, and I don't have the original box anymore but its all good otherwise.

Hopefully An Post would have it to you in a day or two.

Post edited by Tom Mann Centuria on

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Anyone using a steam deck for emulation? Just wondering if the form factor suits any particular genre/generation. I assume it has the horses to do ps1/dreamcast without sweat?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

My Steam Deck easily handles PS2 emulation let alone PS1 / Dreamcast. Definitely recommend checking out Emu Deck if you end up going down this route as it'll auto configure all the emulators for you and make entries in the Steam library on your behalf.

Really? I've been trying everything to get gran Turismo 4 (ps2) working. Would you happen to know if this title works?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

I thought this was fixed but GT4 need something call SMT threading disabled which can be doen via the decky powertools plugin. think it still sturggles with certain tracks but most of the game should work.

Other people do what Nintendon't....

Absolutely bananas that Nintendo never bothered to do this.

Master of the Universe

'lets release a 3D console that supports legacy consoles but lets not port over the one legacy console that actually has 3D games and that most people are locked out from playing'

I can only imagine there must have been some legal issue, i mean it was an absolute no brainer. Probably the least accessible Nintendo library until now.

And sure you can't even say it never occurred to them as an idea, Ciderman sent them a letter! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

I will download this only if someone confirms that it gives you brain damage like the original did. I want that authentic experience.

Master of the Universe

Between that and the Nintendo scope supposedly making you go cross-eyed I'm not sure how any of us made it out of childhood 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

The release of the emulator coincides with me sending my VB to inviere for an attempted repair. Thread incoming in the coming weeks I expect. Experimental permanent-repair of the (presumed to be the problem) dodgy ribbon cables.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

There's an emulator for the meta quest headsets that can run the VB games and you can choose the colour from red to others. Doesn't give you brain damage though, and the 3d effect works very well!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If it comes to a verdict Nintendo will lose this case. There's legal precedence already set that emulation is legal. They are going to do the bleed dry and settle tactic.

Honestly I see this could well be an own goal for Nintendo, I could see Yuzu crowd fund their defense.

Normally I'd agree, but with the way US courts have gone over the years, I wouldn't at all he surprised to see Nintendo drop enough coin in order to change established precedent. Yes it's a gamble, but nowadays, I've far less faith in 'what's right' to triumph over money and connections.

I'm not saying Yuzu are innocent here, I don't know enough about the software to have a definite stance. I'll say two things though.

1) Yuzu have been absolutely coining it for years now, 5 figures a month (€40k around the launch of TotK.) It was also an emulator for a current Gen machine, and as such, was ALWAYS bound to draw fire. Nintendo quite rightly takes issue with people making money from them. Ethically it's **** that that's happened to the Switch yes, but similarly, Yuzu doesn't come with the decryption files needed to actually use it for piracy etc. It's closed source afaik, so I don't know if there's more going on there, but if it's been cleanly developed and has nothing to hide, I really have no issue with that as a concept. At that point it's up to manufacturers to stay ahead of homebrew developers. If it's using actual Nintendo files etc, that's obviously different.

2) The wording from what I've seen is eye rollingly generalized....typical 'Emulation is Bad' crap you hear from Nintendo at times. No doubt if this develops, they're going to have to really tighten down on wording and syntax. You've gold standard stuff like MAME out there, and even Nintendo's own commerical emulator products....they're not ALL bad.

Nintendo do tend to piss me off with their approach to things like this, but I've learned not to automatically jump on them as the villian (they've been kindly quiet on a lot of things at times.) But if this is another baby step towards taking on Emulation as a concept, then I'd be firmly, firmly, against that. We owe emulators and their authors enourmous praise for essentially becoming preservationists due to the lazy mishandling of decades of content by IP owners over the years.

• Advertisement

Advertisement