Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GLAS thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭2time

we got a 4 acre field that was badly sloughed up from cattle been on it in winter few years back, under glas scheme it cant be ploughed but would it be ideal for linseed planting,????

• Registered Users Posts: 21,143 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I think you have to commit the same plot for the 6 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭limo_100

Water John wrote: »
    I think you have to commit the same plot for the 6 years.

yeah you do and its for 5years

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Qprmeath

Is there Glas payments dates set or is it just a make it up as they go along situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭limo_100

Qprmeath wrote: »
    Is there Glas payments dates set or is it just a make it up as they go along situation?

yeah sometime in the next five years I assume

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,164 ✭✭✭✭Base price

We ran into problems ploughing one of the 2 GLAS areas. Part of the plot (about an acre) is extremely stoney and the plough skidded over the top. I sprayed the area off yesterday and our slurry/baling contractor is going to try his 3m disc harrow across it tomorrow. We were thinking of spreading some smc on it before hand to help bulk up the soil. Do any of ye think that it's a good idea or not?
    Also does anyone know where I could buy wild flower seed, sowing rate and how much per kg. I know it's not part of the GLAS plans but I would like to sow a strip of it around the edges for the bees and insects.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

Base price wrote: »
    We ran into problems ploughing one of the 2 GLAS areas. Part of the plot (about an acre) is extremely stoney and the plough skidded over the top. I sprayed the area off yesterday and our slurry/baling contractor is going to try his 3m disc harrow across it tomorrow. We were thinking of spreading some smc on it before hand to help bulk up the soil. Do any of ye think that it's a good idea or not?
    Also does anyone know where I could buy wild flower seed, sowing rate and how much per kg. I know it's not part of the GLAS plans but I would like to sow a strip of it around the edges for the bees and insects.
    http://www.wildflowers.ie/design-by-nature/about.htm
    I have bought off them before, good quality seed. If you know your P,K lime levels you can get wilflowers seed that match your soil fertilty and will grow best.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Why spread it when you're not going to get the benefit from it ? Maybe get it when you're putting it back into grass

You just don't do everything because of a grant.
    Wild flowers is a good idea on the headland, bees etc. Will look nice too.

ganmo wrote: »
    Why spread it when you're not going to get the benefit from it ? Maybe get it when you're putting it back into grass
    TBH I'm the type of person that if I make the effort to do something then I do it to the best of my ability. It would bug the daylights outta me to see a scrawny area in the middle of the rest of the wbc. We get the smc free and can get a few loads delivered tomorrow morning, however I need to persuade OH to land level it as I'm now back in ncd for work tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Water John wrote: »
    You just don't do everything because of a grant.
    Wild flowers is a good idea on the headland, bees etc. Will look nice too.
    Great minds think alike :)

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭mikefoxo

Would poppy seeds you buy in the supermarket grow? And what about bags of bird seed? I must have a look at the back of the bag but I'd say there's some wildflower seeds in it

Yeah, some very wild plants in birdseed I believe.

http://www.wildflowers.ie/design-by-nature/about.htm
    I have bought off them before, good quality seed. If you know your P,K lime levels you can get wilflowers seed that match your soil fertilty and will grow best.
    I sent an email to that company today. They reckon that it is getting late to sow flower seeds but should be ok. I was thinking of going for a kg of their Biodiversity Wildflower Meadow Mixture (Special) mix and planting one area that borders a ditch but does not get flooded. The area forms a point and would suit as I could leave it undisturbed when tilling/replanting wbc next year. I also noticed that some of the seed mixes sold are not suitable for animal consumption as we intend to let cattle graze the wbc during the open season.
    I wonder will we be penalised if this small area is planted with flower seed and not planted with wbc?

I sent an email to that company today. They reckon that it is getting late to sow flower seeds but should be ok. I was thinking of going for a kg of their Biodiversity Wildflower Meadow Mixture (Special)mix and planting one area that borders a ditch but does not get flooded. The area forms a point and would suit as I could leave it undisturbed when tilling/replanting wbc next year. I also noticed that some of the seed mixes sold are not suitable for animal consumption as we intend to let cattle graze the wbc during the open season.
    I wonder will we be penalised if this small area is planted with flower seed and not planted with wbc?
    Corncockle seeds would be poisonous to cattle/sheep, but only if a beast ate a huge amount of pure seeds. You will only have small amounts in the seed mixture. Corncockle is an annual and will only grow in first year, unless you till the ground next year it will not grow again.
    I have most of those species in my hay meadow and no problem with toxicity.

You would need to check with farm planner that you are putting in wildflowers in a small patch. That mixture would not provide much edible seed crop (for birds) compared to something like linseed/oats.

I'm my opinion a mixture of WBC and wildflower mixture would be of greater benefit to a greater range of species than WBC on it's own. I'm not a farm planner though!

Pic from my hay meadow (July last year).
    t4tgf7.jpg

Corncockle seeds would be poisonous to cattle/sheep, but only if a beast ate a huge amount of pure seeds. You will only have small amounts in the seed mixture. Corncockle is an annual and will only grow in first year, unless you till the ground next year it will not grow again.
    I have most of those species in my hay meadow and no problem with toxicity.

You would need to check with farm planner that you are putting in wildflowers in a small patch. That mixture would not provide much edible seed crop (for birds) compared to something like linseed/oats.

I'm my opinion a mixture of WBC and wildflower mixture would be of greater benefit to a greater range of species than WBC on it's own. I'm not a farm planner!

Pic from my hay meadow (July last year).
    t4tgf7.jpg
    Thanks for that. I only want to put in the flower mix for the bees and insects, the birds will get enough from the rest of the areas. Our planner covered our basis by including a little more area, about a quarter of an acre so I should be OK if I plant a kg of the flower mix (.16 of an acre).
    Agree with you that a wild flower mix should have been included in the wbc. It appears that DAFM don't know about National Biodiversity Centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭drive it

What are the penalty's of pulling out of Glas , I am only in it since last year it the rented ground that I need to take out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

I am in tranche 2. The only documentation I got was the acceptance letter. Is this normal?

Knight, that is what I have got too, no cheque yet!!

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Stan27

I am in tranche 2. The only documentation I got was the acceptance letter. Is this normal?

Yes. Documents from dafm have not been sent out yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Alibaba

drive it wrote: »
    What are the penalty's of pulling out of Glas , I am only in it since last year it the rented ground that I need to take out

I'd imagine they'd be looking to claw back any payment you have received except force majuere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Stan27 wrote: »
    Yes. Documents from dafm have not been sent out yet.

So I'm topping fields according to appendix 18 in the online booklet, would I get away with topping whole field until I get the document?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Seeds are sprouted, the linseed is well up, oats are behind. Need rain :eek:
    n6c0uUrl.jpg

I'm not the best at this scarecrow lark though :pac:

gXp3ivLl.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

The boyf looks a bit off his head there Kovu :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Muckit wrote: »
    The boyf looks a bit off his head there Kovu :p

He'll be fine.....couple of panadol and some plasters and he'll be right as rain.

Kovu wrote: »
    Seeds are sprouted, the linseed is well up, oats are behind. Need rain :eek:
    n6c0uUrl.jpg

I'm not the best at this scarecrow lark though :pac:

gXp3ivLl.jpg?1
    f7wpk.jpg
    My scarecrow on the kale/triticale/mustard

Eventually got both areas sown, harrowed (yesterday) and fertilised and rolled today. I was driving out with the roller from the last area this afternoon when the rain arrived. A neighbour was supposed to broadcast the seed for us but couldn't due to a relatives death and gave us a loan of his wagtail. No problems with the oats but the linseed was difficult. We didn't use a carrier and set the wagtail at the setting that he told us. I could hardly see a blue seed anywhere so we upped the settings. We used 75Kgs in just over 2 hectares :eek:
    Crows & Jackdaws are a problem and we were up this morning with the shotguns. Seems perverse that one is attempting to scare away crows in order for the seed to grow for "wild birds"!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,645 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

:eek:
    Crows & Jackdaws are a problem and we were up this morning with the shotguns. Seems perverse that one is attempting to scare away crows in order for the seed to grow for "wild birds"!!

I wouldn't worry about it - the aim of wild bird covers is to provide food and cover for species like yellowhammer, partridge etc that have been hit hard by the intensification of farming and associated loss of habitat etc. over the last few decades. Crows on the other hand have thrived in the modern farmed landscape so keeping them away from such areas is no harm at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

Birdnuts wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry about it - the aim of wild bird covers is to provide food and cover for species like yellowhammer, partridge etc that have been hit hard by the intensification of farming and associated loss of habitat etc. over the last few decades. Crows on the other hand have thrived in the modern farmed landscape so keeping them away from such areas is no harm at all.

They do quite well on cattle feed too you don't even have to open the bag for them they can manage that themselves and invite every crow and jackdaw in the parish to the party
    Then they just attack and tear the silage bales in a pure act of vandalism.

• Advertisement

djmc, that's sounds like a grudge against crows. Is it only your bales are attacked or have they just got a mean streak against humans in general?

Advertisement