Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General gaming discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Evade

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I was an Ace Combat virgin so this was my first. I understand that the previous games, especially on PS2, were meant to be way better. It's just out of every game I played this year there was nothing that came close to matching how incredibly exhilarating Ace Combat 7 was. For minute to minute excitement there was nothing else that came close this year. I just had an absolute blast with it start to finish and cant wait to try out the DLC that was just released.

I might have been a little disappointed if I'd played the earlier games but I think that's testament to just how good the series is that even a disappointing entry was this good.
    If you can find a copy play 5/Squadron Leader/Unsung War (alternate titles) for PS2, it's the best one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,904 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

TitianGerm wrote: »
    I think I just threw my back out laughing at that suggestion :pac:

Hahaha I'm laughing you thought that was a suggestion. Days Gone GOTY FACTS!

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    And Days Gone ****s all over everything else. Some good games out this year all the same.
    ehhhhhh. Sekiro?

SomeSayKos wrote: »
    ehhhhhh. Sekiro?

We'll let the Boards GOTY awards decide :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

To all those GOTY suggestions, I have only one thing to say .. ... ....

HONK!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,354 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

pixelburp wrote: »
    To all those GOTY suggestions, I have only one thing to say .. ... ....

HONK!

Indie game of the year alright. Even if he doesn't win he'll be going home with the trophy :pac:

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,395 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Pretty hard to see how any game comes close to Outer Wilds or Untitled Goose Game tbh, indie or otherwise.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,723 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Listen, I love the goose and all, but Outer Wilds is the kinda game that floats around ‘game of the decade’ territory, so tbh the wonderful asshole goose isn’t even in contention.

Great year though. Top-tier games like Sayonara Wild Hearts, Grindstone and Manifold Garden, and both Control and Death Stranding are up to mischievous and interesting things rarely seen in games of their scale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Listen, I love the goose and all, but Outer Wilds is the kinda game that floats around ‘game of the decade’ territory

*HONK* Sorry I *HONK* can't hear you *HONK* over the sound *HONK* of Breath of the Wild...

...Honk?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭nix

Star Lord wrote: »
    *HONK* Sorry I *HONK* can't hear you *HONK* over the sound *HONK* of Breath of the Wild...

...Honk?

Ah same could be said about the Witcher 3, the only way to quantify "the best" is vote really (which is bull****) and im pretty sure a lot more have played the witcher 3 than BOTW..

So whos to really know? :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,723 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Lots of games in that conversation - from Breath of the Wild to Bloodborne, Obra Dinn to Kentucky Route Zero. Hey, a lot of games I’m not even personally big on - Minecraft etc... - are in there too.

All that’s just to emphasise that Outer Wilds is outrageously spectacular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Played a lot of AC6 great game once you stop listening to the dialogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭hellsing101

Will there be a GOTY poll here or a prelim where we all suggest games as contenders?

Will there be a GOTY poll here or a prelim where we all suggest games as contenders?

If Mr. E decides to graciously hold a Boards GOTY awards again this year, that's where it'll be.

https://touch.boards.ie/forum/499

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,284 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

For me it's between Mario Maker 2, Untitled Goose Game, Link's Awakening or Luigi's Mansion 3.
    Think they're the only recent releases I've played. So looks like I won't be voting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Very impressive that POE stream, they announced POE 2 (patch 4.0.0) loads of new content over the next few months. Engine changes rolling up to poe2 / 4.0 (next year) 7 acts with more added, it will to be a new part to the game all purchases will still work, it is set 20 years after the last act, 19 ascendancy classes, skill gems no longer linked to weapons but the gems themselves. Also announced poe mobile (joking they wanted to announce last year).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,842 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Found the triple A space especially poor this year but the indie scene and smaller projects along with Nintendo more than made up for it and made this a spectacular year for games.

I dunno... obviously differs from person to person (I thought DMC5 was fairly uninspiring, for example) but I was pretty happy with quite a few bigger tiles this year: Control, Death Stranding, Apex Legends, Resi 2 and Sekiro were all good to great, not to mention Nintendo. Most of my favourite games were still indies, but felt there were developers doing interesting and successful things on a larger scale. Perhaps more than usual, if anything - you wouldn’t get a single game quite as strange as Control and Death Stranding most years, let alone two of them in relatively quick succession.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,842 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

In my defence I'm waitin on pc version of death stranding and not played control.

As for Sekiro, I need to get back to it. Release day conincided with a nasty collarbone injury and when that healed I'd kind of forgotten about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

How is the switch doing sales wise anyway? More then Xbox?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,282 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

RasTa wrote: »
    How is the switch doing sales wise anyway? More then Xbox?

If you were to check it now, yes, the Switch has sold more, but MS stopped reporting the sales of their consoles at the end of 2018 so...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

I reckon this year wasn't as good as 2018 or 2017 some really good games this year though and Resi 2 remake was the best by far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,284 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So now we technically have the next Half Life coming, what big games are remaining on the list of vaporware?

Yes, I know it's not Half Life 3/Episode 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

Beyond Good and Evil 2 comes to mind, still not happened. Last thing I saw was a vague overly ambitious galaxy-spanning game. Which also wasn't a sequel.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

No One Lives Forever; maybe not a sequel but getting the series out of the licensing limbo / hell it's trapped in, and give it the HD polish (maybe rework the awful first level in game 1).

I love that first game, I'd honestly put it up there with Deus Ex as a pinnacle of the genre (adventure FPS, as it were)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

No One Lives Forever; maybe not a sequel but getting the series out of the licensing limbo / hell it's trapped in, and give it the HD polish (maybe rework the awful first level in game 1).

I love that first game, I'd honestly put it up there with Deus Ex as a pinnacle of the genre (adventure FPS, as it were)

No One Lives Forever was amazing and it had stuff in it that I'd never witnessed in an FPS before. That plane level was something else. It was one of those games that you were unhappy once you finished it, it was that good.

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    No One Lives Forever was amazing and it had stuff in it that I'd never witnessed in an FPS before. That plane level was something else. It was one of those games that you were unhappy once you finished it, it was that good.

I think the sequel wasn't quite as good, but only because the original pretty much threw every conceivable set-piece you could want from a Spy game; in comparison NOLF2 came off quite tame! As you say, the plane sequence was just fantastic. Man, that whole game was just so inventive, always throwing in new little variants and sequences.

There was talk of NighDive doing their thing & remastering, but fell into licence hell: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/07/05/no-one-will-sell-no-one-lives-forever-so-lets-download-it/

TL:DR? Basically nobody outright owns NOLF, but no party is willing to give up their part of the license either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

I think the sequel wasn't quite as good...

I never played it, only played the first one.

Like you said, what could the 2nd game offer since the first one literally had everything from scuba diving levels to levels in space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭Homelander

I bought 3 games from Gamestop online as they had a 3 for 2 promotion. Games arrive, two sealed copies and one empty box...I email them explaining and with pictures. They apologise and send me a replacement....it arrives and it's the wrong game. I send them an email again with more pictures, literally explaining I am missing a certain game several times.....get an email saying "Very sorry for the mix up, we are sending you a replacement copy of X this afternoon".

X is still the wrong game. Starting to feel like it's a weird joke now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭KilOit

Homelander wrote: »
    I bought 3 games from Gamestop online as they had a 3 for 2 promotion. Games arrive, two sealed copies and one empty box...I email them explaining and with pictures. They apologise and send me a replacement....it arrives and it's the wrong game. I send them an email again with more pictures, literally explaining I am missing a certain game several times.....get an email saying "Very sorry for the mix up, we are sending you a replacement copy of X this afternoon".

X is still the wrong game. Starting to feel like it's a weird joke now.

Staff are stealing them and putting in different discs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭Homelander

I don't think so, the initial missing game was just an empty display case, genuine mistake probably, but the replacement was the wrong game altogether, still sealed. And in the latest email, they apologised for all the mix up, said I could keep the wrong game and they'd sent out X game immediately....which is STILL not the game that was missing from the order.

Looks now like I will end up with 2 copies of one game, and 2 of another, instead of 3 separate games. I could understand one error, but 3 in a row over such a simple problem is just a bit much...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Homelander wrote: »
    I don't think so, the initial missing game was just an empty display case, genuine mistake probably, but the replacement was the wrong game altogether, still sealed. And in the latest email, they apologised for all the mix up, said I could keep the wrong game and they'd sent out X game immediately....which is STILL not the game that was missing from the order.

Looks now like I will end up with 2 copies of one game, and 2 of another, instead of 3 separate games. I could understand one error, but 3 in a row over such a simple problem is just a bit much...

Trade in the duplicate sealed game with them against the missing game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

New Tony Hawks game supposedly coming out if it is anything like Pro Skater 5 that came out on PS4 and Xbox One it was trash, absolute garbage. No voice acting or anything.

I have fond memory's of playing Tony hawks pro Skater 4 game on my brothers Gamecube and thought it was brilliant. We bought Underground and Underground 2 when they were released also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,221 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

THPS3 was my favourite. Sunk countless hours into it. Godly soundtrack.

I think I'm one of the few that never got into skating games. BMX XXX was about the furthest I got into those types of games!

I think I'm one of the few that never got into skating games. BMX XXX was about the furthest I got into those types of games!

You missed out at the time. I don't know if they hold up now game wise but for the time they were brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,221 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

You missed out at the time. I don't know if they hold up now game wise but for the time they were brilliant.

I think they would hold up. Obviously it's been ages since I played them but the one thing that sticks out is just how smooth they were to play.

I dunno, I was never into skateboarding, so it never really appealed to me. Quite hard to use a skateboard on grass, and being brought up in the country I suppose the whole skaterboi stuff passed me by. I think, similar to NFL, NHL & NBA games, you need to be into it to really enjoy it, due to the amount of rules and plays, etc each game requires you to know, so I've no idea what an olly or all those other weird names for skating moves.

I dunno, I was never into skateboarding, so it never really appealed to me. Quite hard to use a skateboard on grass, and being brought up in the country I suppose the whole skaterboi stuff passed me by.

I was never into skateboarding either but they were good games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,354 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I was never into skateboarding either but they were good games.

Good soundtracks as well. Coolboarders was another favorite of mine back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

SSX and THPS were probably two series I put the most hours into on the PS2.

I dunno, I was never into skateboarding, so it never really appealed to me. Quite hard to use a skateboard on grass, and being brought up in the country I suppose the whole skaterboi stuff passed me by. I think, similar to NFL, NHL & NBA games, you need to be into it to really enjoy it, due to the amount of rules and plays, etc each game requires you to know, so I've no idea what an olly or all those other weird names for skating moves.

Just thinking about it now. My brother was into skateboarding and it was him who got the first Tony Hawk game so if he never did I would more than likely never have played them either and when i played it I thought it was brilliant so I bought Underground and Underground 2 when they were released.

You don't need to be into skating to like Tony hawks. Wasn't into it at all but they were insanely good games.

In fact I think most people that played them weren't into skating. I believe it was the Tony hawk games that kick started the big skating revival in the 90s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    You don't need to be into skating to like Tony hawks. Wasn't into it at all but they were insanely good games.

In fact I think most people that played them weren't into skating. I believe it was the Tony hawk games that kick started the big skating revival in the 90s.

Skate boarding really blew up in the late 90's and early 2000s. Firmly down to a strong mix between the Tony Hawk games (1999) and Jackass going on air (2000) which featured a lot of well known skateboarders.

The games were all over the top and a lot of fun, without being ridiculous and also had some great songs.

I'd love to see a remaster of the first 3 games come out, and pray they're nothing like the most recent one.

Is the latest thps really that bad? How is it so different than the originals?

• Advertisement

Is the latest thps really that bad? How is it so different than the originals?

Basic gist is the game was hacked together in less than a year.

Activision were to lose the license to make any more THPS games at the end of 2015, so got THPS5 cobbled together to make a quick bit of money.

Basic gist is the game was hacked together in less than a year.

Activision were to lose the license to make any more THPS games at the end of 2015, so got THPS5 cobbled together to make a quick bit of money.

Cool, enough for me to stay away :)

Goddamn it where is Skate 4!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

One game I like playing in Liberty City is QUB3D.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

I replayed Tony Hawks 1 on the dreamcast recently and it still holds up!

Wish there was a demo for fire pro. I see WWE 2k18 is on ps now which I could at least trial with a new account to test it. Because I don't watch WWE or haven't played a game in years, I'm not sure how I'll find either, just looking for a fun game and even online reviews are very divisive in which is better. 2k19 being 20 euro, cex will give me 14 cash if I don't like it where as I'm stuck with fire pro at a heftier price tag but it does look/sound more fun.

I had ended up getting wwe 2k19 and didn't keep it for long. The old school wrestlers were fun but I need a good career mode and it was fairly poor as moves and clothes were locked behind random loot boxes so I was left with a mish mash wrestler of whatever i was able to unlock. Plus the gameplay was mostly watching flashy moves, got boring pretty quick.

Fire Pro Wrestling is now 15 on the psn store and highly tempting. I see the career mode Fighting Road is actually dlc. Is there no campaign mode other than this?

• Advertisement
Advertisement