Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,744 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Hi all

has anyone bought anything in the past year from Weirs outside of the usual omega or rolex?

Im still thinking about buying a 5227r ( that or a 5205.... cant decide) which seems to be available on C24 new for circa 25/26k. If there was any chance weirs would close to that id just buy it new, but maybe thats a foolish pipe dream?

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

Cyrus wrote: »
    Hi all

has anyone bought anything in the past year from Weirs outside of the usual omega or rolex?

Im still thinking about buying a 5227r ( that or a 5205.... cant decide) which seems to be available on C24 new for circa 25/26k. If there was any chance weirs would close to that id just buy it new, but maybe thats a foolish pipe dream?

Zero chance they’ll come anywhere close, I tried on the one they have a few weeks ago when I got my latest two, lovely watch, very understated. But a Caltrava is a watch you buy used.

For the 5205 Fitz would be the man to talk to.

Time wrote: »
    Zero chance they’ll come anywhere close, I tried on the one they have a few weeks ago when I got my latest two, lovely watch, very understated. But a Caltrava is a watch you buy used.

already tried Fitz 5205 on :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Fitz II

When it come to charming Weirs "Time" is your man to talk too, Weirs do jack **** for me. But they usually give me 2.5% off a Rolex. But a gold patek you should see a better discount. I know in general AD are trying to get away from discounting on anything cause they can sell all that stuff at a discount into the grey market themselves if they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Very random one... given our shared passion for great timepieces and straps, figure I’m better asking here than the Fashion forum.

Looking to get a quality casual leather belt to wear with chinos/jeans, anyone have a good recommendation or custom maker?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭mailforkev

david wrote: »
    Very random one... given our shared passion for great timepieces and straps, figure I’m better asking here than the Fashion forum.

Looking to get a quality casual leather belt to wear with chinos/jeans, anyone have a good recommendation or custom maker?

Have a look online for Anderson's, they're an Italian belt company.

I have a few of their belts for several years, am a big fan of their woven elastic ones in particular.
    You'll be looking at around a ton for one. BT may have them, they deffo used to.

mailforkev wrote: »
    Have a look online for Anderson's, they're an Italian belt company.

I have a few of their belts for several years, am a big fan of their woven elastic ones in particular.
    You'll be looking at around a ton for one. BT may have them, they deffo used to.

Couldn’t recommend Anderson’s highly enough, best belts I own. BTs don’t do them anymore but Mr.Porter do

Couldn’t recommend Anderson’s highly enough, best belts I own. BTs don’t do them anymore but Mr.Porter do

Spoke are doing a collab with them as well at the moment (chino company )

Spoke are doing a collab with them as well at the moment (chino company )

Are they comfy? I hate chinos generally, find them super uncomfortable

Are they comfy? I hate chinos generally, find them super uncomfortable

I have about 15 pairs between the chinos , 5 pocket twills and jeans so I guess so !

• Advertisement

I have about 15 pairs between the chinos , 5 pocket twills and jeans so I guess so !
    I’m not sure which terrifies me more Cyrus - your wardrobe or your watch collection.
    Between 5 pocket twills and custom Panerai friendly cuffs...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭893bet

Surely I ain’t the only person that had to google what a pocket twill is?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

893bet wrote: »
    Surely I ain’t the only person that had to google what a pocket twill is?

I didn't know what it was but presumed twill is the material. 5 pocket, is that counting the mini-pocket you get on the left side with jeans?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I always thought of chinos as oulfella trousers. Now I am an oulfella at this stage, but still. I always considered that after getting used to chinos the next step was a waistband two inches below ones nipples. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

It's all jumpers and chinos in casual law firms now ;) - there was protest from "older" partners - but they soon discovered that chinos make for a much more comfortable working "uniform" than our suits and ties :D

I recall one law firm didn't allow wearing of green ties as that wasn't a "power" colour... could well be a urban myth however :P

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

to be fair the only risk of me being in a law firm in any sort of capacity is as a defendant so.. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Don't sell yourself short Wibbs - you could have wandered in by mistake in your old age :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Thirdfox wrote: »
    It's all jumpers and chinos in casual law firms now ;) - there was protest from "older" partners - but they soon discovered that chinos make for a much more comfortable working "uniform" than our suits and ties

My friend has the same in an accountancy firm, and it just meant he had to buy yet more work clothes he'd not be seen dead in at the weekend. If you're not (stuffy) client facing, I find the uniform thing is archaic silliness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

I agree Eoin, highlighted by the fact people appear in whatever type of casual clothes they like over zoom. People from my office who wouldn't be seen in anything other than a suit are happy to do online meetings in hoodies or t-shirts etc. Hopefully it'll be another change of post pandemic workplaces, along with optional working from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Thirdfox wrote: »
    Don't sell yourself short Wibbs - you could have wandered in by mistake in your old age :D

Ouch a deep burn.....:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Sorry for the huge picture, it was the only one I could find that I could link to.

I’m liking the distressed look of this way more than I should.

sn-833-sinn-watch-358-sa-pilot-ds-canvas-grey-358-065-canvas-grey.jpg?v=1616142403

https://www.sinn.de/en/Modell/358_Sa_PILOT_DS.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Same here. Sinn do make a nice watch

Would anyone of this parish have a black bay 36?

2shea has one or was interested in one at some point

Thank you! Nothing concrete turning up in search.

Have a serious goo for a smaller sports watch lately, really enjoying the 35mm Nomos. Looking on Chrono there’s really f-all to be saved going for a 7/10 condition used example compared to new (Belfast/UK prices). Then you have the mail order VAT, none of the UK dealers I’ve spoken to with used stock are happy to declare it for export and take off the VAT.

What’re the chances a Dublin AD has one when we reopen? Likelihood of getting any sort of discount with no history? Looking at the black on bracelet.

david wrote: »
    What’re the chances a Dublin AD has one when we reopen? Likelihood of getting any sort of discount with no history? Looking at the black on bracelet.

I'd be shocked if Sheerans or Weirs didn't have one available or couldn't get one in a week or two for you. Not sure on discount with that tbh, probably not much if anything as Rolex/Tudor don't want ADs discounting S/S models at all really.

Have you done a search on C24 for new with black dial from the EU? You could probably get 5% off dealing with a dealer directly from the advertised price. Would be a few hundred cheaper than an AD too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

VW 1 wrote: »
    I agree Eoin, highlighted by the fact people appear in whatever type of casual clothes they like over zoom. People from my office who wouldn't be seen in anything other than a suit are happy to do online meetings in hoodies or t-shirts etc. Hopefully it'll be another change of post pandemic workplaces, along with optional working from home.

Zoom meeting coming up this week so will have to run a clippers over the beard and hair. I'm looking a lot like Leonardo Dicaprio in Revenant after the winter. Thanks for the reminder;). Might even take a shower:eek:

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭mailforkev

blue5000 wrote: »
    Zoom meeting coming up this week...

Count yourself lucky, I’m on Zoom 5/6 hours a day, every day. Plus side is that most people went fully casual after about a week last March.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,968 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Eoin wrote: »
    My friend has the same in an accountancy firm, and it just meant he had to buy yet more work clothes he'd not be seen dead in at the weekend. If you're not (stuffy) client facing, I find the uniform thing is archaic silliness.

I worked in a sales role previosuly in the office and initially came in wearing jeans and fleeces. I was pulled into the managers office and lambasted for my appearance being told 'Don't dress for the job you're in, dress for the job you want'. I thought it was incredibly stupid as I was among the top revenue earners in the office at the time and what I wore had no impact on this. For a quiet life I duly complied. Thankfully the place I'm in now don't care what you wear.

Advertisement