Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

The only one I had that did it automatically was out of battery.

However, the Aerospace was easy enough, as is the F1Pro.
    The rest will get it as we go.

It is the cars that are a proper PITA.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

Lorddrakul wrote: »
    The only one I had that did it automatically was out of battery.

However, the Aerospace was easy enough, as is the F1Pro.
    The rest will get it as we go.

It is the cars that are a proper PITA.

Surely cars do it automatically in this day and age

Time wrote: »
    Surely cars do it automatically in this day and age

One is 2008, the other 2012. No joy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Plus car tech is usually way behind the wider IT market. Much of it stuck in the 1990's tarted up to look more up to date. That's another area where Tesla has made positive changes with updates etc. My car being actually from the 1990's has 80's levels of simplicity. :D so a press of one physical button and hour rolls forward.

Most of my watches that are battery powered have a crown position where you can move the hour hand independently for timezone and winter/summer time changes so not much hassle there.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Just going to pop this in here but daylight savings time is stupid, when are we going to give up on this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,762 ✭✭✭893bet

Fitz II wrote: »
    Just going to pop this in here but daylight savings time is stupid, when are we going to give up on this.

I like it but would be in favour of compressing it more. End November to end February.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

EU floated idea of stopping it... can you imagine the chaos on the border if the UK don't follow suit? Time zone between NI and the Republic :o

Thirdfox wrote: »
    EU floated idea of stopping it... can you imagine the chaos on the border if the UK don't follow suit? Time zone between NI and the Republic :o

I’m almost certain that during WW2 Belfast and Dublin were an hour apart

So on some roads which wind back and forth across the border we'll be constantly jumping forwards and backwards in time :D

So on some roads which wind back and forth across the border we'll be constantly jumping forwards and backwards in time :D

Handy for closing time in the pubs...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Yes between 1940-47 NI was an hour ahead of the Irish Free State.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,059 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

An hour?

As the famous joke goes:

Pilot : "Folks we have just landed in Belfast, set your watch back 300 years".

• Registered Users Posts: 33,059 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

I believe for a period after the 1880's Ireland was 25 minutes 21 seconds behind GMT.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Apparently there was, and still is, a "Dublin Time" clock in Galway for railway passenger information :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,744 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

fat bloke wrote: »
    Apparently there was, and still is, a "Dublin Time" clock in Galway for railway passenger information :)

Must be what Bus Eiran drivers use.

After waiting 6 weeks for delivery from AliExpress for a bracelet, I'm now waiting on the next one to arrive.
    I thought the recent Suez incident might mean it sat in the Indian Ocean for a while, but the tracking firmly indicates air delivery from the far east - "China Post Registered Air Mail".

I can hack 6 weeks, but 'undetermined' due to a blocked canal would be painful! :)

"Registered Air Mail" is just the name of the cargo ship they use :P :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,498 ✭✭✭✭banie01

"Registered Air Mail" is just the name of the cargo ship they use :P :D

It's actually the MV Registered Air Mail :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,230 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Lorddrakul wrote: »
    After waiting 6 weeks for delivery from AliExpress for a bracelet, I'm now waiting on the next one to arrive.
    I thought the recent Suez incident might mean it sat in the Indian Ocean for a while, but the tracking firmly indicates air delivery from the far east - "China Post Registered Air Mail".

I can hack 6 weeks, but 'undetermined' due to a blocked canal would be painful! :)

I was in a similar situation but it all arrived last week. Actually, must update the watch photo thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,744 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I suspect the Chinese (who wouldn't!) of shipping stuff overland by train; well at least last year. It was ending up in some small town in Germany.

Probably posted before, here is a zero-g fix of an Omega X-33.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

That is so cool. :D I love the leatherman :eek: :D And gaffa tape, of course. It actually looks like it might be easier to deal with those tiny parts in zero g which I didn't expect.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Folks, any other Irish watch selling sites or recommended dealers knocking around?

Have been tasked to find an Omega Moonwatch for reasonable money, if that’s even a thing?? Last time I seen them on adverts they were in around the 3.5k Mark

Folks, any other Irish watch selling sites or recommended dealers knocking around?

Have been tasked to find an Omega Moonwatch for reasonable money, if that’s even a thing?? Last time I seen them on adverts they were in around the 3.5k Mark

Which model? And what’s the budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Which model? And what’s the budget?

Was hoping to pick up a sapphire sandwich model but a hesalite one would suffice, in good nick and all accessories/literature included. Looking for the classic model too.

Budget, depends on the watch but they are expecting 3k+ so suppose we start from there.

Was hoping to pick up a sapphire sandwich model but a hesalite one would suffice, in good nick and all accessories/literature included. Looking for the classic model too.

Budget, depends on the watch but they are expecting 3k+ so suppose we start from there.

3k would be a good price. They are discontinued and replaced with a new almost identical model. So less available as people hope for a price increase. A relatively safe store of your money so don’t get too caught on price.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭micks_address

Bought the hesalite version recently. 3k without papers is what I paid. The watch is pretty clean. Purchased from chrono24. If you want box and papers you will be doing well at 3500. Add maybe 500 euro for the sapphire version. They don’t come up that often locally. You could try Thomaskutty on adverts. He has sourced few for buyers before here. If you sell you won’t loose money and they tend to sell very quickly. One thing to keep in mind is they are expensive to service so if you have proof of a recent service it’s a nice bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Fitz II

All moonwatches have risen sharply in value. 3k - 3.5k would be good value. Dont let the big box versious sway you, its nice to have but not worth anything extra IMHO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭micks_address

Fitz II wrote: »
    All moonwatches have risen sharply in value. 3k - 3.5k would be good value. Dont let the big box versious sway you, its nice to have but not worth anything extra IMHO.

It really depends on if you plan to hold the watch or perhaps intend selling later. I know that’s possibly hard to figure out but I wasn’t hung up on warranty cards as I’d sold a speedmaster before and was pretty sure I wanted one long term. Even without papers I’d probably easily get my 3k back.

Advertisement