Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Machinery Photo/Discussion Thread II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

Mooooo wrote: »
    I wonder did the pin come out between the break pedals maybe and only breaked one side going into the turn?

Or the side breaks weren't locked at all 😳

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

Maybe track rod broke? Front left wheel looks like driver is trying to countersteer. Seems to be sliding before they hit the grass verge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

I reckon it's mechanical failure on the part of the JD, those back brakes are locked up way before it goes over

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭mythos110

Panch18 wrote: »
    I reckon it's mechanical failure on the part of the JD, those back brakes are locked up way before it goes over

Very much doubt it was a mechanical failure but possibly the brakes were not locked as a previous poster says. Looks like a very smooth surface coupled with being wet meant no grip hence the lock up. Loader up to the last a contributing factor here as well (I can never understand why lads do that). Went into a 4 wheel skid (assuming JD's 4-wheel brake).
    Best course of action would have been to release the brakes and hit the accelerator and try to keep going straight. This would be second nature to most operators who operate on high or slippy ground but not so easy to react to if you are not used to that situation.

mythos110 wrote: »
    Very much doubt it was a mechanical failure but possibly the brakes were not locked as a previous poster says. Looks like a very smooth surface coupled with being wet meant no grip hence the lock up. Loader up to the last a contributing factor here as well (I can never understand why lads do that). Went into a 4 wheel skid (assuming JD's 4-wheel brake).
    Best course of action would have been to release the brakes and hit the accelerator and try to keep going straight. This would be second nature to most operators who operate on high or slippy ground but not so easy to react to if you are not used to that situation.

why couldn't it be mechanical failure?

I was behind a fendt once and the driver drove for a full mile with the rear left tyre locked up completly - tyre was burnt of the tractor. He was going flat out so had foot on accelerator as opposed to brake.

So that mechanical failure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭mythos110

why couldn't it be mechanical failure?

I was behind a fendt once and the driver drove for a full mile with the rear left tyre locked up completly - tyre was burnt of the tractor. He was going flat out so had foot on accelerator as opposed to brake.

So that mechanical failure

I didn't say it couldn't be mechanical failure, just that I'd doubt if it was :p

I reckon there is enough other circumstances there (really smooth tar, wet, speed, loader etc) to say this could have happened to a perfectly functioning tractor. Similar has happened to me in fields where a combination of speed and slippery grass got me into a situation that thankfully to date I was able to react to and drive my way out of. Thankfully not had it on the road though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭minerleague

mythos110 wrote: »
    I didn't say it couldn't be mechanical failure, just that I'd doubt if it was :p

I reckon there is enough other circumstances there (really smooth tar, wet, speed, loader etc) to say this could have happened to a perfectly functioning tractor. Similar has happened to me in fields where a combination of speed and slippery grass got me into a situation that thankfully to date I was able to react to and drive my way out of. Thankfully not had it on the road though!

Doesn't the front wheel catch something on the ground?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,364 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Doesn't the front wheel catch something on the ground?

Could have been a water dyke

• Registered Users Posts: 5,360 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Not sure he hit that dyke, but definitely tried cutting the corner. Nearly cleared the bollard out of it and it's a good bit in off the road

• Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

ganmo wrote: »
    car up the hole
    so didn't want to slow down enough to take the turn correctly
    ended up cutting the corner
    front left wheel sinks a bit
    pushes the rear of the around and over she goes.

thats my summary of it

Ran out of talent, all the above but i'd add in harsh breaking on the slippery surface.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭josephsoap

Float position

Seldom take off the front loader here, I have a Mx loader does anyone know how to leave the lift rams in the float position?

So when I go to attach the loader, I drive up the guide rails and the lift rams/frame should then rise and click into attached the loader?

Every time I take the loader off, it never works that way for me :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Any photos of it when it was righted up?
    It would be hardly be a right-off would it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

josephsoap wrote: »
    Float position

Seldom take off the front loader here, I have a Mx loader does anyone know how to leave the lift rams in the float position?

So when I go to attach the loader, I drive up the guide rails and the lift rams/frame should then rise and click into attached the loader?

Every time I take the loader off, it never works that way for me :o

I've one here aswell and never had a problem putting it on but it's a balls of a thing to take off. I drive in far enough to hook up the pipework and use the hydraulics to adjust it then. You can put it in float if you shove the joystick fully forward but not when it's not piped up to the tractor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Gillespy

I wouldn't rule out mechanical failure either. Happened to me with a 50hx one time, front hub had enough, locked up and I veered right across the road, pure luck not into traffic. Seems very strange incident for just driver error and speed.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

is it a problem with the roadsurface,there is a different surface in the area where he braked and skidded

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I reckon brake pedals were split.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Aska

The day before

522522.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 79 ✭✭ChuckieEgg

Question about front loaders

I have brackets fitted to my caseih mx110. I don't know what loader was originally on the Tractor all thats left is the bracket bolted onto the fron of the tractor to take the loader.
    Can I fit any loader to these brackets?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,961 ✭✭✭emaherx

ChuckieEgg wrote: »

I have brackets fitted to my caseih mx110. I don't know what loader was originally on the Tractor all thats left is the bracket bolted onto the fron of the tractor to take the loader.

No, they are for a specific type of loader. Is there any plates on them anywhere?
    you could post a picture, someone here might recognise them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭White Clover

Aska wrote: »
    The day before

522522.jpg

Hope the driver is OK. What caused the overturn?

• Advertisement

ChuckieEgg wrote: »

Post a pic of the brackets,someone might know

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 79 ✭✭ChuckieEgg

Will post a pic, I'll look to see if theirs any plate or numbers on them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Ran out of talent, all the above but i'd add in harsh breaking on the slippery surface.

+1.
    If I was hiring a professional driver and he hopped onto a tractor and locked the brake pedals together, I wouldn’t be hiring him...different story for a stockman.

+1.
    If I was hiring a professional driver and he hopped onto a tractor and locked the brake pedals together, I wouldn’t be hiring him...different story for a stockman.

Some bigger newer tractors now are not giving you the choice - or should i say they come as 1 brake pedal as standard and if you want split you have to ask for it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Some bigger newer tractors now are not giving you the choice - or should i say they come as 1 brake pedal as standard and if you want split you have to ask for it

I don't think I've ever used split pedals on our big tractor. Used to do some ballerina style stuff on an old 7711 with a silage grab on the back though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

+1. If I was hiring a professional driver and he hopped onto a tractor and locked the brake pedals together, I wouldn’t be hiring him...different story for a stockman.

I'm going to be really dumb here but can I ask why? I know some guys never lock them and vice versa. I've never had it properly explained why you'd want them open when pulling a trailer etc at 40k+ down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,364 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

I'm going to be really dumb here but can I ask why? I know some guys never lock them and vice versa. I've never had it properly explained why you'd want them open when pulling a trailer etc at 40k+ down the road.

I've never driven a tractor with the brakes split

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Reggie. wrote: »

You'd imagine it'd be illegal to have them split on the road at least. a car showing uneven braking wouldn't be long failing a test

• Registered Users Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Reggie. wrote: »

A spud farmers son introduced me to split braking when I got stuck with a deutz pulling a spud trailer in the field on a damp November morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭mengele

Its the old lads that would be the masters of split brakes. Ploughing with old tractors with no diff locks, and they would be tapping the side brake to keep her moving.

Advertisement