Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Machinery Photo/Discussion Thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

I'm not too up to speed with the JD or 4 wheel braking. What was the actual issue?

I'm not either but this is what Ive been told, I gather that they just locked up on it.
    Tractor speed and loader up a factor no doubt but the brakes made her go over

My surmising is that these tractors raffled off are just dickied up and are not mechanically sound

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Omallep2

valtra2 wrote: »
    Hi going looking at at 04 McCormick cx 105 and wondering if there is anything I should look out for. What are they like.thanks

Make sure you can split the brakes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

I'm not too up to speed with the JD or 4 wheel braking. What was the actual issue?

On 50kmh transmissions the front brakes are in the front hubs, so the front wheels are independent of the rear.

On 40kmh transmissions the front axle is braked through 4wd engagement, so the front and rear wheels are linked, ie if one locks the others also lock up.

This last few pages has been a fascinating read I must say, some interesting driving advice

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭valtra2

Make sure clutch/packs arent slipping.....and the lift is working right/opening pick-up correctly

And the engine isnt leaking oil/over heating

Thanks will have a look at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,369 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Why has class round balers like the 355 or 354 have such a bad name. It just came up in conversation today and just wondered what was the issue with them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Claas 46 had a great name. Was it the 250 or 255 that ruined it for them? Moving rollers and one chain driving the whole lot. Something like that, no experience of them or the newer ones. It's all Welger and McHale here and the odd Krone. Some JD too which look a good baler.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Tigerpants

On 50kmh transmissions the front brakes are in the front hubs, so the front wheels are independent of the rear.

On 40kmh transmissions the front axle is braked through 4wd engagement, so the front and rear wheels are linked, ie if one locks the others also lock up.

This last few pages has been a fascinating read I must say, some interesting driving advice

I agree, some interesting reading.

Was watching a silage contractor earlier today, young lads carting, driving at mental speed on a very twisty, steep road. One lad even freewheeling down the hill like a madman.

Going uphill, dying out, not getting down the gears in time.
    The speed didnt even make sense from the point of view that it was a short draw and the harvester was never going to be idle.

Between the driving and texting, mad stuff that a contractor would employ these yahoos!!
    Rant over!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,369 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Gillespy wrote: »
    Claas 46 had a great name. Was it the 250 or 255 that ruined it for them? Moving rollers and one chain driving the whole lot. Something like that, no experience of them or the newer ones. It's all Welger and McHale here and the odd Krone. Some JD too which look a good baler.

Yeah one fella mentioned the 3 packing rollers

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭bamayang

I'm not either but this is what Ive been told, I gather that they just locked up on it.
    Tractor speed and loader up a factor no doubt but the brakes made her go over

My surmising is that these tractors raffled off are just dickied up and are not mechanically sound

I might have missed that, but was this tractor one of those raffle/auction wins?
    If so, i wouldnt feel as bad, as the person has only lost out on the price of a ticket rather than 20-30K purchase price.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,375 ✭✭✭roosterman71

bamayang wrote: »
    I might have missed that, but was this tractor one of those raffle/auction wins?
    If so, i wouldnt feel as bad, as the person has only lost out on the price of a ticket rather than 20-30K purchase price.

I think they bought it from someone that had won it in a raffle. Could be out 20-30k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭einn32

Gillespy wrote: »

I baled for a fella with a 46 and a 255. The 46 was a great machine except it was old technology but we had it as backup. The 255 we could never get the netting right on it. It would work perfect one day and disaster the next. Never figured out why. Had a few other gremlins too I think with chains. He moved away from Class after that to McHale.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,971 ✭✭✭emaherx

I'd still feel pretty bad if it were the case. Fairly sure you'd be gutted too if you won 30K in the lotto and the lost it on the first day with nothing to show.

Reggie. wrote: »
    Why has class round balers like the 355 or 354 have such a bad name. It just came up in conversation today and just wondered what was the issue with them

They are viewed as soft/finicky when giving issues

Lack of enough dealer backup is probably their biggest issue

• Registered Users Posts: 11,113 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

There won't be a leylandi nor a briar safe in the parish.

20200812-163123.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

20200812-163123.jpg

Well wear. Looking forward to seeing it in action.

Finger bar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

20200812-163123.jpg

Well wear

what make is it? what kind of reach has it got?

Always felt a fingerbar leaves a much better hedge than a bush whacker which just seems to leave you with a grass ditch after a few years

Panch18 wrote: »
    Well wear

what make is it? what kind of reach has it got?

Always felt a fingerbar leaves a much better hedge than a bush whacker which just seems to leave you with a grass ditch after a few years
    Thanks.

It's a Clontrac one so it's a bit of an unknown.
    I'm not 100% sure of the reach.
    That's the heavy duty longer version than the normal one and there's a 30degree attachment for it to give it a higher crowning height.

I'll have it on the tractor in a few days and know then.

Well wear. Looking forward to seeing it in action.

Finger bar?

Fingerbar. Yep. It's a bloody long fingerbar! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

Thanks.

It's a Clontrac one so it's a bit of an unknown.
    I'm not 100% sure of the reach.
    That's the heavy duty longer version than the normal one and there's a 30degree attachment for it to give it a higher crowning height.

I'll have it on the tractor in a few days and know then.

Make sure you report back and give us a couple of photos of what its capable of

Would be very interested to see what it can handle!!

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭bamayang

emaherx wrote: »
    I'd still feel pretty bad if it were the case. Fairly sure you'd be gutted too if you won 30K in the lotto and the lost it on the first day with nothing to show.

Ah ya, but not as bad as seeing repayments go out for a machine that is in the scrap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭blackbox

That is total BS, anyone reacting in an emergency can hit the brakes wrong and send the tractor in a spin.

It didn't look like an emergency to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

Ah ya, but not as bad as seeing repayments go out for a machine that is in the scrap.

I find it hard to believe that it’s written off going by what’s seen in the video

blackbox wrote: »
    It didn't look like an emergency to me.

What didn't? I wasn't talking about any particular emergency situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

What didn't? I wasn't talking about any particular emergency situation.

Some folks don't view a tractor ending up on it's side an emergency, i think they should use a go pro for when the do encounter one. Preferably without anyone else involved.

Some folks don't view a tractor ending up on it's side an emergency, i think they should use a go pro for when the do encounter one. Preferably without anyone else involved.

Most of the comments I made yesterday were about not using split brakes on the road in general, not nessacarily about that tractor, as like most people on here I've no idea what happened. But I'd say if it was the cause and that wasn't emergency braking then surely that would be all the more reason to have the pedals locked together.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Aska

I think they bought it from someone that had won it in a raffle. Could be out 20-30k

No the tractor was a Wexford registered machine from new (2004)

About €30k odd, biggest crime here was the way the guys from TFM put her back on it's wheels.

You can see from the image there is a small gripe there in the middle, maybe mix that in with the loader being up high (Q75 massive size loader) then it could just get unlucky for the driver, not to mention IF the breaks were split.

20200804-165658.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭hopeso

Aska wrote: »
    No the tractor was a Wexford registered machine from new (2004)

About €30k odd, biggest crime here was the way the guys from TFM put her back on it's wheels.

Did he buy it from TFM? If they let him off in a tractor that locked up the brakes for some mechanical reason, then surely they'd be responsible. Likewise, if they damaged it during the recovery.......

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Aska

hopeso wrote: »
    Did he buy it from TFM? If they let him off in a tractor that locked up the brakes for some mechanical reason, then surely they'd be responsible. Likewise, if they damaged it during the recovery.......

NO private sale, only bringing it home after collecting her, hardly had it 20 minutes,

being JD I guess the new owner got them to collect it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭hopeso

Aska wrote: »
    NO private sale, only bringing it home after collecting her, hardly had it 20 minutes,

being JD I guess the new owner got them to collect it

They should still be responsible for whatever damage they done.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

Most of the comments I made yesterday were about not using split brakes on the road in general, not nessacarily about that tractor, as like most people on here I've no idea what happened. But I'd say if it was the cause and that wasn't emergency braking then surely that would be all the more reason to have the pedals locked together.

I wouldn't worry about people talking nonsense, using brakes split or not in an emergency begins when your knee is tensed and raised and ends with the foot on/close to the floor. What your foot happened to hit in between isn't muscle memory it's luck and an educated guess there was a pedal of some sort in that general area.
    We didnt know the front axel seemed to have failed and locked up, just that excessively harsh braking had destabilised the tractor on a slippery surface.
    Split brakes goes back to older tractors with awkward transmissions and doing field work beside your self to get a working line and playing in fields in conditions your prob shouldnt be in anyway.

Advertisement