Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

10-01-2019, 22:58   #451
lbc2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by gctest50 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbc2019 View Post
They’d had been smashed against the wall- death or serious injury likely
Were they going parallel to the wall ?

This is what happens when the RSA waste money on a misery advert instead of doing a proper feature on it
If they went through the gap, they would have smashed the wall if the gap wasn’t there - quite simple really
Advertisement
11-01-2019, 08:30   #452
magicbastarder

Hard-hitting TV road safety ad ‘not about retribution’
Noel Clancy’s wife and daughter were killed in a crash with an unaccompanied learner

Quote:
A widower who lost his wife and daughter in tragic circumstances when their car was hit by an unaccompanied learner driver has defended a hard-hitting Road Safety Authority ad on TV that he has made and insisted it was not about retribution but about highlighting changes in the law.

Noel Clancy (59) from Kilworth, north Cork, lost his wife, Geraldine (58), and daughter Louise (22) when their Ford Focus was struck by a car driven by an unaccompanied learner driver, their neighbour Susan Gleeson, then 20, at Ballyderown, Kilworth, on December 22nd, 2015.
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/irel...tion-1.3754069
11-01-2019, 16:56   #453
Hotblack Desiato

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicbastarder View Post
those stats are meaningless without information about how many of those fatalities occurred while the learner was unaccompanied.
Also meaningless because learner drivers drive less than full licence holders. Accident rate per million km would be meaningful.
(2) thanks from:
11-01-2019, 17:18   #454
User142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotblack Desiato View Post
Also meaningless because learner drivers drive less than full licence holders. Accident rate per million km would be meaningful.
Also more likely to hold a licence and not use it.

And a huge percentage of Learners are driving at low speeds just learning basics of car control and then improving their skills while under the constant supervision of a parent/sibling/SO or instructor.

Its nonsense to even try imply that this statistic justifies allowing learner permit holders driving unaccompanied or that they are better drivers. If anything it suggests the restrictions on learner permit holders work. It prevents most people from passing the theory test, buying a car and then driving as if they are qualified.
Thanks from:
11-01-2019, 23:43   #455
dense

Quote:
those stats are meaningless without information about how many of those fatalities occurred while the learner was unaccompanied.
A bit of rational thinking here.
That won't go down well, I can tell you.
Advertisement
11-01-2019, 23:51   #456
dense

Quote:
Hard-hitting TV road safety ad ‘not about retribution’
Noel Clancy’s wife and daughter were killed in a crash with an unaccompanied learner

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/irel...tion-1.3754069
So the Press Release from the RSA named the person who was driving unaccompanied, thereby making it personal.

There is absolutely NO reason to assume that today's lazy "cut and paste journalism" researched the ad that the RSA circulated in the press release and came up with the driver's name all by itself.
12-01-2019, 05:46   #457
AndrewJRenko

Quote:
Originally Posted by dense View Post
So the Press Release from the RSA named the person who was driving unaccompanied, thereby making it personal.

There is absolutely NO reason to assume that today's lazy "cut and paste journalism" researched the ad that the RSA circulated in the press release and came up with the driver's name all by itself.
There's absolutely no reason to assume the opposite either.
12-01-2019, 12:26   #458
Little Less Conversation

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingriff View Post
I lived in the countryside and I didn't. If I needed to go some where I got a lift in or went when I could be accompanied if that meant going early then so be it and if I had to wait to get home also so be it. I had friends in college who spend whole days in as they had to wait. So you you didn't have to you chose to
I learned how to drive 14 years ago. There was a loophole that allowed learners to drive and nothing was done about it. I didn't have anyone to sit in with me. I didnt have parents to sit in with me and I didn't have older siblings to sit in with me. I wish I had the help but I didn't, it's why I relied on driving lessons. Had a friend who was stopped driving on their own and nothing was done about it. The fact is me and many more weren't privileged enough to have mammy and daddy to come with us.

Things are different these days though. I wouldn't get away with it today. It's still a stupid law though because the person accompanying the learners are only teaching them their own bad habits and can't really predict or stop an accident.
(2) thanks from:
12-01-2019, 17:16   #459
JP Liz V1

I think the test price should be reduced and you should have to resit every few years, tons of full licence drivers also made bad mistakes on the roads
Advertisement
12-01-2019, 17:21   #460
AndrewJRenko

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Liz V1 View Post
you should have to resit every few years
Great idea, I wonder how close we are to doing this with technology - virtual reality or gaming tech to do a competency/reaction test in a simulator.
12-01-2019, 17:22   #461
Pero_Bueno

I don't understand why learner drivers are even allowed drive a non dual controlled car without having passed a driving test!
In europe you need to PASS the test before doing that, only way you can be ever out on the road without a licence is in a dual controlled car getting a lesson.

Hope the driver of the car thinks long and hard about what she did.
12-01-2019, 20:15   #462
brightspark

Quote:
I think the test price should be reduced and you should have to resit every few years, tons of full licence drivers also made bad mistakes on the roads
It's amazing how often this is suggested by those who haven't passed the test once!
(not saying you haven't, just that it seems to come up whenever the issue of learner permit holders wanting to drive unaccompanied)

It would require a significant number of driving testers to be employed (at a guess it would be something similar to the amount of people employed at NCT centres, but probably a lot more as testing would likely only take place during daylight hours)
More testing is unlikely to prevent full licence holders from making mistakes, a more effective strategy would be fitting monitors to all cars that immediately notify the authorities whenever you fail to stop at a stop sign, exceed the speed limit etc.
12-01-2019, 20:39   #463
London Poor Notch

Got to love all of the drivers in here who seem to have been gifted their driving skills at birth.
12-01-2019, 20:40   #464
London Poor Notch

Quote:
When are you volunteering to resit your test then?
12-01-2019, 20:45   #465
brightspark

Quote:
Originally Posted by London Poor Notch View Post
Got to love all of the drivers in here who seem to have been gifted their driving skills at birth.
Well I certainly wasn't one of them, it took me a lot of lessons, practice and a couple of attempts before I passed.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion