Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interdepartmental Higher Executive Officer 2020 - (Serving Civil Servants ONLY)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

Anyone know when the results will be out?

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭eimaj18

Just finished. Tough, but a tiny bit easier than the practice ones I was doing on AssessmentDay.co.uk Was working a few numerical out, have the answer and then that wasn't a choice! Doh! Just picked the nearest one to it. Some phrased very badly. The verbal were tough as always - the difference between TRUE/FALSE and CANNOT SAY is always debatable for me! Oh well, done now.

Usually results are out anything from a couple of days to a week or two after the closing date. So, earliest Friday, but doubtful.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Kenevil

Anyone know when the results will be out?

We probably won't get results until we've completed stage 1 b

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭westhamlady

Did the assessment, when I was showing my ID, though it was prefect on the screen but once I accepted it , it was very blurry, should I contact Public Jobs about this or wait and see. Found the numerical very difficult so don't think I will get very far in this comp.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Littlefinger

Kenevil wrote: »

What is stage 1b? I don't see any mention of it in the info book

• Advertisement

What is stage 1b? I don't see any mention of it in the info book

They don't say what it is but more than likely it will be a situational judgement test. Unless its not a test and its short listing

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Littlefinger

They don't say what it is but more than likely it will be a situational judgement test. Unless its not a test and its short listing

strange if there is a separate stage for the situational judgement test. If memory serves the last time i went for HEO they had that with the rest of the testes inpart a.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Dublintigger

It seems to be a long process.....

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭RC01

I know it is different now as the test style has changed, however when I did the EO competititon in 2019 it was situational first, then shortlisted to complete numerical and verbal. Perhaps someone who has done the recent EO Competition may know?

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

I assumed we’d find out results after 1a so they only take successful people into 1b
    RC01 wrote: »
    I know it is different now as the test style has changed, however when I did the EO competititon in 2019 it was situational first, then shortlisted to complete numerical and verbal. Perhaps someone who has done the recent EO Competition may know?

Like this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭connectq

Could I used phone to record yourself and my work computer to do the test? Work computer does not have a camera. Or should I should I borrow a laptop to complete both together?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭RC01

There is recordings during the assessment so I would borrow a laptop if you could.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭eroc79

connectq wrote: »
    Could I used phone to record yourself and my work computer to do the test? Work computer does not have a camera. Or should I should I borrow a laptop to complete both together?

There's apps you can use to turn your phone into a webcam.
    I've used droidcam in the past

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Longfordgal

Hi all, Thanks for all the really great tips, I'm planning on taking the exams tomorrow... Has anyone taken the 2 exams in different sittings?, is that possible?

Hi all, Thanks for all the really great tips, I'm planning on taking the exams tomorrow... Has anyone taken the 2 exams in different sittings?, is that possible?

I'm not sure but it does say that if you have any connection problems, you can log back in and take up from when you left off. So I would guess so but I can't say definitively. It's quite short though so I would just go for it if you can.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

Well I did the practice tests and I'm shocked at how my maths abilities have declined lol

Not very confident now, will do it late tonight or tomorrow. Definitely rattled though

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Dagner88

Just did the test there. Found verbal reasoning okay, numerical was very difficult. Some of the answers I was getting wasn't an option so had to guess a few! Sayong this, I did find the sova system better thelan previous ones. Fingers crossed I did enough to go to next stage.

Best of luck everyone!!

italodisco wrote: »
    Well I did the practice tests and I'm shocked at how my maths abilities have declined lol

Not very confident now, will do it late tonight or tomorrow. Definitely rattled though

In any of the practice ones i was doing it was all %increase, %decrease, getting % of a no for example what % is 18 of 100 and ratios.
    Alot of the questions i got in the test were averages a few %'s 1 ratio question. All very wordy questions too

Dagner88 wrote: »
    Just did the test there. Found verbal reasoning okay, numerical was very difficult. Some of the answers I was getting wasn't an option so had to guess a few! Sayong this, I did find the sova system better thelan previous ones. Fingers crossed I did enough to go to next stage.

Best of luck everyone!!

I found that with the numerical too I had one graph i couldn't make heads nor tails of all 3 of those were complete guesses...

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Dalio

Quick question there is no deductive reason on this one right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 hellr

Dalio wrote: »
    Quick question there is no deductive reason on this one right?

Just verbal and numerical

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭caarp

In any of the practice ones i was doing it was all %increase, %decrease, getting % of a no for example what % is 18 of 100 and ratios.
    Alot of the questions i got in the test were averages a few %'s 1 ratio question. All very wordy questions too

I'm sure you did great. Wouldn't it be great if they just asked simple math questions without all the verbage? Are there any currency exchange conversion questions?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Rabaen

Did mine yesterday, not feeling very confident about it. Like @Kenevil I had one graph where all 3 questions made no sense in relation to the information given.

Had some issues with the bar graphs not being clear about what numbers they stopped at.

Anyway, I'll just hope that I did well enough to get through.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭applejunkie

Can you use your phone as a calculator? I just realised I don't have an actual calculator, I can go buy one if I need to but would be handier if I can use my phone

Can you use your phone as a calculator? I just realised I don't have an actual calculator, I can go buy one if I need to but would be handier if I can use my phone

I had the same thought and was just going to put phone on flight mode, have phone open on calculator and show that in the video when you pan the room. I was doing it in my parent’s-in-law’s house so they could mind the kids and they had a calculator. Was clunky so would’ve preferred the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Blueskies2019

The simple answer is No. Unless you are taking the actual test on the mobile. Have a look at the Pre-test link!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭lucat

Rabaen wrote: »
    Did mine yesterday, not feeling very confident about it. Like @Kenevil I had one graph where all 3 questions made no sense in relation to the information given.

Had some issues with the bar graphs not being clear about what numbers they stopped at.

Anyway, I'll just hope that I did well enough to get through.

I had one nonsensical graph that asked you to predict absentee rates for the Charity sector for 2017...when there was no way to predict that as the rates fluctuated for the previous years. It was bizarre. I think there might have been a mistake in the question, it seemed like something was left out. I also had the same issue with not being able to see clearly where the bars stopped for a lot of them. I could see it was half way-ish between 10 and 20, but was it at 15, 16 or 17?

Not ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭insert name here 123

Hi, can I ask, for those applying for this comp.

How much experience do you have managing staff? I am right in thinking you would need to have good few years experience (managerial) before applying?

Just curious to get an idea. Don't need exact details, just generally speaking...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

I did the tests myself last night and am just going to give up thinking about them....and reading about them here too.

For instance, I didn't get questions about a charity and absentee rates, and because of this whole "adaptive" thing, I don't know if that's because I wasn't doing well enough to get the "tougher" questions, or if that was actually supposed to be one of the "easier" ones and I was getting "tougher" ones instead.

Will say though that I got the shipping container ones and am confident that I worked them out properly, and that normally I do pretty well on numbers anyway.

As for the verbal ones....they didn't seem to get noticeably easier or harder as I went along. That could mean that either I was doing so poorly that even the "easier" ones didn't seem easier, or else I was doing so well that even the "tougher" ones didn't seem tougher!

Suppose we'll all find out in due course anyway. Good luck to all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭eroc79

I did the tests myself last night and am just going to give up thinking about them....and reading about them here too.

For instance, I didn't get questions about a charity and absentee rates, and because of this whole "adaptive" thing, I don't know if that's because I wasn't doing well enough to get the "tougher" questions, or if that was actually supposed to be one of the "easier" ones and I was getting "tougher" ones instead.

Will say though that I got the shipping container ones and am confident that I worked them out properly, and that normally I do pretty well on numbers anyway.

As for the verbal ones....they didn't seem to get noticeably easier or harder as I went along. That could mean that either I was doing so poorly that even the "easier" ones didn't seem easier, or else I was doing so well that even the "tougher" ones didn't seem tougher!

Suppose we'll all find out in due course anyway. Good luck to all.

I'm sure you did well.
    You have the right mindset too. You could definitely drive yourself crazy over thinking it.
    Best of luck to everyone

Advertisement