Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interdepartmental Higher Executive Officer 2020 - (Serving Civil Servants ONLY)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭caarp

Is this the part where we have to do a sweep of the room with our camera and show our ID does anyone know?

I thought that part was when you decided to log onto the actual test itself?

Page 8 of the pre-test booklet:

Record and Review:
    Overview:
    These assessment tests are supervised via a Record and Review function. As you progress through the assessments you will need to record a video displaying your face alongside a photo ID of yourself i.e. your Passport, Drivers Licence or Public Service Card. You will also be asked to scan the room in which you are taking the tests, with the camera on the device that you are taking the assessments on.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Littlefinger

caarp wrote: »

yeah sorry that is what I meant. If I do the test tonight, will I have to have my camera on to do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Kenevil

The link (when it works) is the actual test. And yes as far as i am aware you have to sweep the room with the camera at this part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

I cant seem to access the link at all.

It's not hyperlinked in the message and it cuts off halfway through. I've tried my phone and 2 laptops and all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭connectq

pew wrote: »

It's not hyperlinked in the message and it cuts off halfway through. I've tried my phone and 2 laptops and all the same.

Email the technical support and they will send you a link

On my laptop I highlighted the link, right clicked and selected go to link and it brought me to the assessment

On my laptop I highlighted the link, right clicked and selected go to link and it brought me to the assessment

Kenevil wrote: »
    I just tried it from my laptop. I highlighted the link right clicked and selected go to link and it brought me to the page

I tried it, doesnt work for me.

The message from public jobs itself is cut off. As in half of sentences are missing. And a bit of the link is missing.

• Advertisement

connectq wrote: »
    Email the technical support and they will send you a link

Perfect will email them.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

Thanks so much Keepkeyyellow. Can you remember in the math part, were there lots of different tabs you had to open to find the information, or was it all provided on the one table/graph?

The latter

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Dublintigger

Yes - thank you so much.

Just got a message from them with a new link. Glad to see they have remedied it in plenty of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭TrishaK

OK so I just bit the bullet and did the test, it wasn't too bad, saying that I am terrible at these type tests so ill just have to wait and see.

Best of luck everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭eroc79

Well done. Did you do much practice beforehand?
    I'm planning on doing a few practice tests, if I can find some. Been awhile and feel a bit rusty. lol

TrishaK wrote: »
    OK so I just bit the bullet and did the test, it wasn't too bad, saying that I am terrible at these type tests so ill just have to wait and see.

Best of luck everyone

Well done, do you mind me asking, was the verbal reasoning really long wordy paragraphs or nice short ones?

What was the numerical one like?

Folks
    I am hoping to do the test at the weekend.... will this be a problem do you think?
    I just want to get more practice in.
    Also, I heard that the numerical - you just have to pass it, is this true?
    But the verbal - does anyone have any idea what is to be expected?

Folks
    I am hoping to do the test at the weekend.... will this be a problem do you think?
    I just want to get more practice in.
    Also, I heard that the numerical - you just have to pass it, is this true?
    But the verbal - does anyone have any idea what is to be expected?

I'm doing it at the weekend too. Up too early midweek to have the brainpower to do it then.

For any previous test i have done it have been just pass it. Which sucks as i'm stronger at numerical than verbal. Have been doing practice tests and failing miserably 😪

I'm doing it at the weekend too. Up too early midweek to have the brainpower to do it then.

For any previous test i have done it have been just pass it. Which sucks as i'm stronger at numerical than verbal. Have been doing practice tests and failing miserably ��

I would love to know the format of the questions....... both verbal and numerical

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 stevetalk

Just did the tests. I thought the verbal was okay and numerical was really difficult. There was definitely one graph where the questions they asked seemed impossible to answer with the information on the graph. The question was probably worded wrong.

Having to pan the camera around the room in a 360 was a bit ridiculous as well but these are Covid times!

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

Actually are the two tests timed?

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭eroc79

Actually are the two tests timed?

Yes and no. The time taken will affect your overall score

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

stevetalk wrote: »
    Having to pan the camera around the room in a 360 was a bit ridiculous as well but these are Covid times!

What's that for ?

Is the whole exam recorded ?

yabadabado wrote: »
    What's that for ?

Is the whole exam recorded ?

It is to show that you aren't getting help while doing them. If you read the candidate book it tells you about it. Be sure to have your ID beside you as well because you aren't allowed leave the laptop once it starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Forthebuzz

I presume we are allowed calculators on table for numerical part?

Forthebuzz wrote: »
    I presume we are allowed calculators on table for numerical part?

Calculators and rough work paper are allowed on the table

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Forthebuzz

Perfect thanks! I couldn't remember reading either way in documentation

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭eimaj18

I usually use my phone as a calculator for practice. Supposing you didn't have an actual calculator to hand, can you use your phone? I would guess now, but just in case!

I'm going through Numerical now. I'm not great at Maths myself but have been doing these type of tests for years now for promotions and have usually always been in the first batch after these aptitude test as I have scored highly. What I find is, you need to know about 5 main types of sums:

- Find the % of something
    - Show X as a % of Y
    - % Increase
    - % Decrease
    - Ratios

Once you can do them, you should be fine. If I come across any other types of sums, I'll edit this.

Tips:
    - Work out only the sums they ask you - don't waste your time working anything else out. E.g. in the practice test Q3, don't bother working out the info for the Marketing Dept.
    - If you look at the question, and it seems like it's going to take way too long to work out, make an educated guess and move to the next.
    - Try to finish all the test as you'll maximise your opportunity to get high marks.
    - Practice, practice and practice. I haven't done these tests in about 2 years, and it's taking a while to get back into them, but the more I practice, the quicker I'm getting.
    - Google numerical and verbal assessments to practice with.

In relation to the Verbal Assessment, just make sure that you understand the answers - TRUE, FALSE, CANNOT SAY
    TRUE - the information is definitely mentioned in the text, albeit in slightly different language
    FALSE - the statement is defo incorrect - E.g. Q3 in the practice tests says: The majority of older persons... whereas the text says Almost 50%... So, defo FALSE
    CANNOT SAY - you can't say whether the statement is correct from the information given in the text - you need more info.

This is what has worked for me in the past, in saying that, I've never done Adaptive Assessment before, but I can't see the above changing. Any questions, PM me. Planning to practice now, tomorrow for an hour or so and take the test on Sunday - small baby, hard to fit it in.

Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 Sophia Petrillo

stevetalk wrote: »
    Just did the tests. I thought the verbal was okay and numerical was really difficult. There was definitely one graph where the questions they asked seemed impossible to answer with the information on the graph. The question was probably worded wrong.

Just a quick question, how does one pan a camera around a room?

Advertisement