Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interdepartmental Higher Executive Officer 2020 - (Serving Civil Servants ONLY)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

eroc79 wrote: »
    It's normally the verbal and situational combined for the final ranking with numeric being pass/fail. If you fail any part, you're out. Not the most efficient method.

Yeah, it's true that people will only be ranked after the SJT is also completed all right. But it's not beyond the bounds of possibility that they'll issue the scores for verbal and numerical even in advance of the SJT.

Like somebody else a few pages back, am hoping myself that the numerical score actually counts, rather than just being a simple pass/fail. I normally score higher on it than I do in verbal.

But as with the other thing, and based on info provided so far, I reckon it's also a "cannot say" right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭insert name here 123

Any idea when we can expect results to issue? Best of luck to everyone!

Say couple of weeks time... depends on how many applied id imagine...

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Kittykat6

eroc79 wrote: »
    It's normally the verbal and situational combined for the final ranking with numeric being pass/fail. If you fail any part, you're out. Not the most efficient method.

I thought stage 1(b) would be the short listing of your application form??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭cw67irl

Kittykat6 wrote: »
    I thought stage 1(b) would be the short listing of your application form??

No one seems to know yet what stage 1B will be. Seems to be a toss up between SJT and Shortlisting. Both likely to feature in the process just not sure where yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

cw67irl wrote: »
    No one seems to know yet what stage 1B will be. Seems to be a toss up between SJT and Shortlisting. Both likely to feature in the process just not sure where yet.

So is there a chance that those of us that feel we didn't do well in numeric will still get called for further testing???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Dagner88

From what I remember in the last interdepartmental, you get your results from numerical and verbal. If you passed, you will get a separate notification to say whether your competencies on your application were accepted. If it was felt that the competencies were lacking in info then you did not proceed to the next stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Csk2019

Dagner88 wrote: »
    From what I remember in the last interdepartmental, you get your results from numerical and verbal. If you passed, you will get a separate notification to say whether your competencies on your application were accepted. If it was felt that the competencies were lacking in info then you did not proceed to the next stage.

I just checked my message board, so in 2019 we got verbal, numerical and management scenarios all in one go and then got results based on verbal and management scenarios and having to pass the numerical. So appears a bit different this time! Unless they send on link for management scenarios now.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭caarp

lucat wrote: »
    Yes they do, and I'm doing the SEO stage 2 this week too, which entails me recording myself answering competency based interview questions. If I pass then you get to do a live interview, yipee. I haven't done any preparation yet as I had to work today, so I'm going to get up early tomorrow morning, do some preparation like timing myself talking & then do the recordings at ab 12 when I'll have the house free.

How'd it go? Did you do it this morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Ahshurlookit

Stage 1(b) will be management scenarios, stage 2 will be shortlisting, stage 3 will either be video interview or an etray exercise or presentation and stage 4 will be the final interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

Stage 1(b) will be management scenarios, stage 2 will be shortlisting, stage 3 will either be video interview or an etray exercise or presentation and stage 4 will be the final interview.

wow sounds a lot tougher than the last one in 2019

• Advertisement

Thanks for the information Ahshurlookit. Could I ask you where you found this information? I've looked through the circular announcing the competition and the booklet with the pre-test material but I must have overlooked it somehow? MTIA.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭lucat

caarp wrote: »
    How'd it go? Did you do it this morning?

Did it this evening. Hated the whole thing. I made no eye contact with the camera- too busy rushing through answers and wondering if I had forgotten to mention anything important. You only get 3 minutes to answer each question.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Ahshurlookit

It wasn't in the information booklet, I've heard it third hand from a friend of a friend who's in the know!

The 2019 competition had stage 1 aptitude tests, stage 2 shortlisting, stage 3 supervised tests and stage 4 interview and presentation. The recording has done away with the supervised tests. I'd argue that this is easier as you don't have to do interview and presentation the same day, which was an absolute nightmare!

It wasn't in the information booklet, I've heard it third hand from a friend of a friend who's in the know!

The 2019 competition had stage 1 aptitude tests, stage 2 shortlisting, stage 3 supervised tests and stage 4 interview and presentation. The recording has done away with the supervised tests. I'd argue that this is easier as you don't have to do interview and presentation the same day, which was an absolute nightmare!

Ahhh, very good. Yes, doing a presentation and interview on the same day sounds awful alright. Hope we hear back soon with the results.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Dublintigger

Is this for HEO or SEO?

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭lucat

Is this for HEO or SEO?

HEO

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Kenevil

I reckon we should hear something on Wednesday either results or stage 1(b). Hopefully anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

Kenevil wrote: »
    I reckon we should hear something on Wednesday either results or stage 1(b). Hopefully anyway.

Hope it's results, don't fancy getting asked to another stage if I failed one of the parts I did last week

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭redmgar

Not a chance it will be results on Wednesday.
    At least another two weeks away.

redmgar wrote: »
    Not a chance it will be results on Wednesday.
    At least another two weeks away.

Just going on previous comp. I got results a week after close of test link. Being hopeful too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭redmgar

Just going on previous comp. I got results a week after close of test link. Being hopeful too.

Maybe it's different for heo campaigns, but all other campaigns are extremely slow.
    Obviously smaller numbers might apply, which speed it up, I am surprised that you got results in a week though.

redmgar wrote: »
    Maybe it's different for heo campaigns, but all other campaigns are extremely slow.
    Obviously smaller numbers might apply, which speed it up, I am surprised that you got results in a week though.

It was 2016 EO comp stage 1 b we got results 2 weeks after the test link was issued and had a week to take the test like this comp. But since we have still a stage 1 b to do on this one it will probably be different as I said i'm just being hopeful :)

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭westhamlady

Took 3 weeks to get the results last year for the EO comp

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Purpletoes

No real hints other than to get as much practice in. The % ones are the usual stuff. It can be hard to know which figure you're basing your percentage off, at times. The trick is to put yourself in the position of the correct element, and use that as your baseline.

e.g.......

Liverpool scored 43 goals so far this season
    Man Utd scored 49 goals so far this season

Depending on how the question is phrased, you can have different answers.
    a. Liverpool have scored 87.7% of the amount of Man Utd goals.......(43/49)
    b. Man Utd are 12.2% ahead of Liverpool in goals scored........(49-43)/49
    c. Liverpool must score 13.9% more goals to catch up........(49-43)/43

In b, you are Man Utd and basing the percentage of your figure so 49 is your baseline. Whereas in c, you're using Liverpool as the baseline, if you get me, so you need to increase your figure by a certain percentage.....so 43 is the figure you use.

Just because the answer you arrive at is one of the options available, doesn't mean you got it correct.

FWIW, I found it much easier than the tests for the last few EO ones I've done. I agree about one of the graphs not making sense in terms of how to calculate your answer. They were looking for the average weekly figure for X. When I added them up and divided by 7, it didn't look anything like the answers offered.
    (Having typed this up now, perhaps I should have divided by 5 instead, using the work week instead of the actual week).

It specified business days which is 5

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Gillouise

Just wondering if everyone got the link for the situational tests stage 1b... or is it an indication of passing 1a?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Milenauno

Gillouise wrote: »
    Just wondering if everyone got the link for the situational tests stage 1b... or is it an indication of passing 1a?

I got the link but it’s not clear if we passed the stage 1 a or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭jules86

Not yet, probably won't send all at once (I hope)
    I wouldn't imagine they would have them all marked in a week PAS usually take a while for results

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Gillouise

jules86 wrote: »
    Not yet, probably won't send all at once (I hope)
    I wouldn't imagine they would have them all marked in a week PAS usually take a while for results

It came through email only this time just incase you haven't checked

It came through email only this time just incase you haven't checked

Thanks I did, and I logged in nothing yet. :(

• Advertisement

There it is

Advertisement