Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Discovery 3x09 - 'Terra Firma: Part 1' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** }

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Goodshape wrote: »
    It's worth keeping in mind that most of the bridge crew are not "major characters" on Discovery.

In TNG, DS9, Voyager, and Enterprise, (and Orville), all the bridge crew were name-checked in the opening credits and were unquestionably co-stars. In Discovery, for better or worse, that's not the case.

The major characters on the show over the three seasons have been:

- Michael Burnham
    - Saru
    - Ash Tyler / Voq
    - Paul Stamets
    - Sylvia Tilly
    - Gabriel Lorca
    - Hugh Culber
    - Christopher Pike
    - Book

The others are just recurring and/or guest roles. Unusual for a Trek show not to be focused on the bridge crew, but there you have it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Star_Trek:_Discovery_characters

Discovery is textbook be careful what you wish for .

I wanted sets that weren't matte paintings and polystyrene rocks.

We end up with sets lit so moodily the crew must all have eye strain.

Instead of 90's trek sonic wallpaper, I wanted something more BSGesque .

We end up with a soundtrack that leads you by the nose and doesn't do subtlety.

I was up open to the lower decks strategy to shake things up.

Turns out what works in a one off episode of TNG doesn't really suit an ongoing series .

Suits "Lower Decks" just fine...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭Acosta

And that was also fecking stupid beyond belief

And Alex Kurtzman was executive producer on both

Acosta wrote: »
    And Alex Kurtzman was executive producer on both

Bingo

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Goodshape wrote: »
    It's worth keeping in mind that most of the bridge crew are not "major characters" on Discovery.

In TNG, DS9, Voyager, and Enterprise, (and Orville), all the bridge crew were name-checked in the opening credits and were unquestionably co-stars. In Discovery, for better or worse, that's not the case.

The major characters on the show over the three seasons have been:

- Michael Burnham
    - Saru
    - Ash Tyler / Voq
    - Paul Stamets
    - Sylvia Tilly
    - Gabriel Lorca
    - Hugh Culber
    - Christopher Pike
    - Book

The others are just recurring and/or guest roles. Unusual for a Trek show not to be focused on the bridge crew, but there you have it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Star_Trek:_Discovery_characters

So true: there's at least 3 crew who are in lots of episodes whose names I have not yet learned. 3 seasons in.

I enjoyed the last episode for a stand-alone but was disappointed to see it's a 2 parter. Feels a waste of time.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

flazio wrote: »
    Nope, he should be equipping every single star ship in their arsenal with a spore drive.

Its a lot easier to put all your known weapons onto a single ship containing an unknown drive than put an unknown drive onto all your ships.
    I don't think they have a clue about how the drive works or how to replicate it to other ships.
    They would also need a couple more Mr Stamets'...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭Rawr

pinkypinky wrote: »
    So true: there's at least 3 crew who are in lots of episodes whose names I have not yet learned. 3 seasons in.

I enjoyed the last episode for a stand-alone but was disappointed to see it's a 2 parter. Feels a waste of time.

As a stand-alone Trek episode it was ok. Not horrible or overly annoying as some episodes, and the removal of focus towards Michael really makes it easier to enjoy...however...I felt that it was only just..."ok". It would work as mid-season filler in most other Trek shows.

The 2-parter structure of the episode does not feel natural. The end of Part 1 did not have any real punch as a cliffhanger, leading me to believe that the writers lacked the abilities to fit everything into one episode and that Part 2 might drag out for a bit to accommodate the 10-15 minutes that they couldn't fit into Part 1.

There's also the possibility that they wanted 2 episodes for the price of one. Terra Firma so far has the feel of a Bottle Episode, which back in the day were done to save cash. If they are low on funds, it might be more than tempting to drag out a bottle episode over 2-parts, to pad out the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,268 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Tilly is just a pure wish fulfilment character for millennials - an overweight, emotionally unstable manic pixie girl who's a genius when the plot requires and receives special treatment left right and centre because *reasons*... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,097 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Sleepy wrote: »
    Tilly is just a pure wish fulfilment character for millennials - an overweight, emotionally unstable manic pixie girl who's a genius when the plot requires and receives special treatment left right and centre because *reasons*... :rolleyes:

How dare you insult manic pixie girls by lumping her in with them

Sleepy wrote: »

At least they got rid of the second head that was growing out of her chin or they've done wonders with makeup, was totalling distracting before.

Shur, not everyone can be as perfect as us :o:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,684 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

On wish fulfillment, there was another example of a woman beating the crap out of a male character in this episode, if you were to keep score has there been any examples of a one on one where the male gets the better? or whats the ratio? , its simply isnt plausible and it's sexist and patronising as well

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,097 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

silverharp wrote: »
    On wish fulfillment, there was another example of a woman beating the crap out of a male character in this episode, if you were to keep score has there been any examples of a one on one where the male gets the better? or whats the ratio? , its simply isnt plausible and it's sexist and patronising as well

If that's what you get out of a fight in a sci-fi you have serious issues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,307 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I can't wait until this week's part results in mirror Michael coming over because there's not enough Michael and we can then have her in both the A and B stories.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I can't wait until this week's part results in mirror Michael coming over because there's not enough Michael and we can then have her in both the A and B stories.

I can see some tragic transporter accident that results in a Burnhamworld a-la Rimmerworld...:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,307 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Everybody!

"Michael, Michael, Michael Burnham..."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,738 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Just wait for Kelvin timeline Burnham!

Then we will have the Holy Trinity where they save the multiverse.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭Rawr

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Everybody!

"Michael, Michael, Michael Burnham..."

Shocking how well that song actually works for her:

Red Dwarf's "The Munchkin Song"....re-written for Discovery
    ============================

v4aBQoP.gif

If you're in trouble she will save the day.
    She's brave and she's fearless, come what may.
    Without her the mission would go astray.

She's Michael, Michael, Michael Burnham.
    Without her life would be much grimmer.
    She's handsome, trim, and no-one slimmer.
    She will never need a zimm-er.

She's Michael, Michael, Michael Burnham.
    More reliable than a garden strimmer.
    She's never been mistaken for Yul Brynner.
    She's not bald, and her head doesn't glim-mer.

Master of the wit and the repartee.
    Her command of space directives is uncanny.
    How come she's such a genius?
    Don't ask me!

===========

Admittingly, the rhyming is a bit off without "Rimmer" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

So I thought I'd better watch the rest of the episode so I could watch this week so eager was I to see what happens.

I enjoyed the bit where Stamets got stabbed in the neck and died.

As for the rest it reminded me of Flash Gordon from the 1980's I think it was. A sorta bad version of that. If they did a bad version of Star Trek it wouldn't have been as bad.

Going back to Stamets, he's about the only one that has any acting potential at all, but the problem is his character is just so unappealing. I think he's there to appeal to the unappealing community (trying not to be too harsh here) who don't often get represented on screen but the problem is he does unappealing quite well which makes him unappealing to everyone else.

I'm a bit bemused with Owosekun having no lines but multiple that bit too long shots of her posing with a mean face. Is she meant to be mute or what? Anyway, can't wait for the next episode and especially the end of the series. Not long now.

AllForIt wrote: »
    I'm a bit bemused with Owosekun having no lines but multiple that bit too long shots of her posing with a mean face. Is she meant to be mute or what?.

Imagine being the actor sitting at home every week waiting for your script to be delivered... They could bloody tweet it to her.

• Advertisement
Advertisement