Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discovery 3x09 - 'Terra Firma: Part 1' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** }

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

So I'm presuming that's a Q? Probably the most interesting part of the episode.

And a two parter in the mirror universe seems like a bit of a waste. Two parter finding the ship, two parter dealing with the conflict with the chain, great. But I've rarely enjoyed any mirror universe Trek. DS9 had one or two reasonable ones, but the rest are a resounding meh from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,219 ✭✭✭corkie

corkie wrote: »
    Grasping at straws, as I said already, events in Mirror Universe could not and didn't pan out the same. 'ISS Discovery' was destroyed in 'Main/Prime Universe' during klingon war. When they ships swapped over.

So unless some "A big ball of wibbly wobbly, timey wimey stuff" brings her to the future. Mirror Burnham is long dead.

Or only in the memories of Georgiou.

^^^ Cross thread quote.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

After browsing the reddit pages it appears that it may be a Guardian rather than a Q. This actually makes me happy because I was thinking it would be an awful waste of a Q to not bring back John de Lancie!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭liamtech

Yea it was ok

My gripes are:

Bit of a waste of time if im honest - it has nothing to do with the main plot, as near as i can tell - I kinda dont care whether its real or not - if they go down the road of her reforming the mirror universe, i would take issue with that

and the other usual problem of course

The mirror universe revolves around the actions/opinions of Mirror Burnham - amazing, and so unexpected :mad:

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

liamtech wrote: »
    Yea it was ok
    Bit of a waste of time if im honest - it has nothing to do with the main plot, as near as i can tell - I kinda dont care whether its real or not - if they go down the road of her reforming the mirror universe, i would take issue with that

I think it's the waste of time that annoys me the most. I wouldn't have minded if it was a one off mirror episode, that could have been fun, but I feel that a two parter would have been better suited elsewhere in the season and on another topic, such as locating the ship, conflict with the chain, getting to grips with starfleet.

I'm hoping that the next episode is not entirely a mirror episode and we spend some more time in the prime universe.

On a different note though, I'm really beginning to like this admiral!

• Advertisement

After browsing the reddit pages it appears that it may be a Guardian rather than a Q. This actually makes me happy because I was thinking it would be an awful waste of a Q to not bring back John de Lancie!

Jessie gender also mentions the guardian in they review.

With him reading from the same paper.

340?cb=20060120003252&path-prefix=en
    ^^^ Edit: If Above image not showing find it here.

maxresdefault.jpg

The City on the Edge of Forever (episode)

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

Yeah, saw that, though when watching the episode I was thinking it could be a "My corner of the continuum" reference

• Registered Users Posts: 12,231 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Its Definitely a guardian and not a Q. Im okay with this. Guardian makes sense.

Im also a fan of the Terran verse, so I like the alternate timeline.

Too much evil Burnham though.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,100 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

It was decent enough, in a cheesy, scenery chewing kind of way.

But at this point we've spent more time on the development of a character we know to be leaving in the form of Georgiou, then in following the main arc of the Burn.

If it it had come earlier in the season, instead of the needless tour of every former Federation world, it'd be a lot more acceptable as a diversion.

And everyone's okay with the sentient independent ship AI? Discovery is Starfleet's ace in the hole, and they're just giving a blind pass to this unknown element?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,671 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Just watched it. Best episode of the season so far and while last weeks was a 1 out 10 this got a 10 out of 10 for me. Loved it but then I like most of the mirror Universe episodes too. It even made me laugh in parts. Yes I was thinking g an evil Q or a Q who liked the Mirror Universe could have worked therewith your man on the planet and the door but a Guardian is ok with me.
    Can't wait for next weeks episode.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,305 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Quite enjoyed that episode but would rather have them wrap it up in one episode with only a few more episodes left

Weird episode at this point of the season. I mean, it's not really a mirror universe 'cos she has to go back in time 900 years for it to work. So it's a time-travel thing? But then wouldn't there still be another version of her kicking about as Emperor? One without all the memories and experiences she currently has.

Weird episode at this point of the season. I mean, it's not really a mirror universe 'cos she has to go back in time 900 years for it to work. So it's a time-travel thing? But then wouldn't there still be another version of her kicking about as Emperor? One without all the memories and experiences she currently has.

It was not very clear in the episode what actually happened:

• Is she just reliving memories in the present after walking through the door?
    • Her mind transporter back into past self, leaving a body in the present? Does not work if they develop S31 from the past.
    • A body swap, but that would leave past body in the future. And body that went back would have all the memories of control/S31 events of S02.

Edit: - On a rewatch and forgot about fitbit(/body scanner) that traveled back with her.

Probably get explained in Part Two?

Yeah, I'm sure it will. Just a bit of a head-scratcher this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,856 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

At least it gave the others something to do. Like Owo looked a bit intimidating and got to fight the other bridge guy.
    But I found this episode a chore to get though. Checked how long was left on multiple occasions. If they had intercut other stories it would've been better, though I guess they can't go anywhere until Michael and Georgieau get back. But would anyone miss them really if Discovery did a runner?

One thing I am confused about is how did they decode the distress signal and video without Michael's help?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

That was fun.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    At least it gave the others something to do. Like Owo looked a bit intimidating and got to fight the other bridge guy.
    But I found this episode a chore to get though. Checked how long was left on multiple occasions. If they had intercut other stories it would've been better, though I guess they can't go anywhere until Michael and Georgieau get back. But would anyone miss them really if Discovery did a runner?

One thing I am confused about is how did they decode the distress signal and video without Michael's help?

The fight thing was funny if you think about it for 30 seconds. You get to take over the role if you can kill the person in it. Grand, they're super evil after all. But what about the role vacated by the winner? Do two more people have to fight to the death over that role? And what about the role vacated by the winner of that fight? And so on down the line. It seems terribly inefficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,856 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

The fight thing was funny if you think about it for 30 seconds. You get to take over the role if you can kill the person in it. Grand, they're super evil after all. But what about the role vacated by the winner? Do two more people have to fight to the death over that role? And what about the role vacated by the winner of that fight? And so on down the line. It seems terribly inefficient.

Dunno about other companies but at mine the victor gets to choose the successor.
    Annual reviews/promotions are a bloodbath but management says it ensures the right person is in the right position. But we all know one of the main reasons they encourage it is that it cuts down on the number of raises and bonuses they have to give.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

That was a good laugh. I enjoyed that. But I do like the mirror universe. Has the empress changed though? I'd hope she has.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

340?cb=20060120003252&path-prefix=en
    ^^^ Edit: If Above image not showing find it here.

maxresdefault.jpg

The City on the Edge of Forever (episode)

I saw that. I really like this idea. I hope we see more of this guy in the next episode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭pah

Probably get explained in Part Two?

LMFAO

I saw that. I really like this idea. I hope we see more of this guy in the next episode.

He is a good actor remember him from: -

The Good Fight: Paul Guilfoyle: Henry Rindell

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

I hate Mirror universe, its very cartoony and over the top! I also don't give a toss what happens to Georgio in this mirror world so its a real waste of time and hugely disappointing this is a two parter

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

That was great! They crossed all the streams! I couldn't believe the city on the edge of forever came up! I was already stoked they brought in the Kelvin Timeline! If Enterprise is anything to go by, I'm guessing something big is in store for Owosekun!

Goh! I saw Part 1 in the title before watching and was like oh but then kinda forgot! 3/4 way into the episode though and I remembered and was like.... NOOOOO!!!

Anyway, looking forward to the next one! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,619 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

duffman13 wrote: »
    I hate Mirror universe, its very cartoony and over the top! I also don't give a toss what happens to Georgio in this mirror world so its a real waste of time and hugely disappointing this is a two parter

I was always gonna hate this one too. She is a terrible character and the MU is a silly place that falls apart pretty easy when over explored.

I could just ignore it in a 20+ episode season but it is an awful gear change in a 13 episode arc

What else was on the Newspaper?

http://blog.trekcore.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/NEWSPAPER.jpg

http://blog.trekcore.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/newspaper2.jpg

"
    On a brief note, having a personified Guardian — if that’s really what’s happening here — is actually a concept that dates back to Harlan Ellison’s concept for what eventually became the Star Trek episode fans are familiar with; in the 2014 IDW Comics adaptation of Ellison’s original teleplay, the Guardian is not a talking stone donut, but in fact actual entities who call themselves the Guardians of Forever. ......

Carl’s newspaper is reminiscent of the Q Continuum’s The New newsmagazine seen in “Death Wish,” as well as that of The Ascended Times from Stargate SG-1, which was read by Daniel Jackson in that series while visiting the Ancents’ ascended plane (SG1: “Threads”)."

^^^ STAR TREK: DISCOVERY Review: “Terra Firma, Part 1”
    ^^^ Good article and images to big to embed in post.

Someone posted in an imdb review: -
    "Carl reading the newspaper is a copy of the Anubis scene from SG1. And The Guardian of Forever is a ripoff from Doctor Who and Farscape."

"The City on the Edge of Forever" TOS, Episode 1x28
    Production number: 6149-28 First aired: 6 April 1967

Possible 'Who' ripoff ST and episode predates 'Farscape'? So who ripped who off?

What else was on the Newspaper?

http://blog.trekcore.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/NEWSPAPER.jpg

http://blog.trekcore.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/newspaper2.jpg

"
    On a brief note, having a personified Guardian — if that’s really what’s happening here — is actually a concept that dates back to Harlan Ellison’s concept for what eventually became the Star Trek episode fans are familiar with; in the 2014 IDW Comics adaptation of Ellison’s original teleplay, the Guardian is not a talking stone donut, but in fact actual entities who call themselves the Guardians of Forever. ......

Carl’s newspaper is reminiscent of the Q Continuum’s The New newsmagazine seen in “Death Wish,” as well as that of The Ascended Times from Stargate SG-1, which was read by Daniel Jackson in that series while visiting the Ancents’ ascended plane (SG1: “Threads”)."

^^^ STAR TREK: DISCOVERY Review: “Terra Firma, Part 1”
    ^^^ Good article and images to big to embed in post.

Someone posted in an imdb review: -
    "Carl reading the newspaper is a copy of the Anubis scene from SG1. And The Guardian of Forever is a ripoff from Doctor Who and Farscape."

"The City on the Edge of Forever" TOS, Episode 1x28
    Production number: 6149-28 First aired: 6 April 1967

Possible 'Who' ripoff ST and episode predates 'Farscape'? So who ripped who off?

The newspapers title is the same as a newspaper from the Edge of Forever episode

^^^ Am already aware. Posted both images. and mentioned that already.

^^^ Am already aware. Posted both images. and mentioned that already.

Sorry. It wasn't anywhere on that particular post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

My favorite ep so far this season

Advertisement