Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discovery 3x09 - 'Terra Firma: Part 1' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** }

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

The mirror universe just doesn't make sense. Are we meant to feel sorry for space Hitler?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

• Registered Users Posts: 28,846 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Just just accept both Discovery and SG1 are ripping off Early Edition. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,202 ✭✭✭corkie

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,571 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The mirror universe just doesn't make sense. Are we meant to feel sorry for space Hitler?

Ya cause fans think she is "so like super awesome"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Just just accept both Discovery and SG1 are ripping off Early Edition. :D

Jesus there's a show that had slipped my mind, I loved it as a kid!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Why is burnham at the briefing about Georgiu and not tilly. Tilly is the xo. I totally trust u tilly but not on a need to know basis

Booker is awesome. Join the ship booker yay

Surprised a mirror universe dedication would talk about the emperor being demure and pure
    They should put owo in charge instead of burnham

Overall entertaining but surprised it just ended there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

That was ****ing terrible just pure dog sh1t.

One point that I was confused about if starfleet never kept any record of discovery how did the glasses lad know about geogro and not about the ship.

One point that I was confused about if starfleet never kept any record of discovery how did the glasses lad know about geogro and not about the ship.

"PLOT HOLES"

Another one is how Ni'var(ians) knew about 'Mickey Spock'?

Edit:- When they got scanned, she was identified as terrain and they had to explain things in earlier of screen briefings?

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,956 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Just when ye think it can't get any worse, it does. Didn't enjoy that episode at all. Mirror stuff is a pile of turd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Liamalone wrote: »
    Didn't enjoy that episode at all. Mirror stuff is a pile of turd.

Completely agree, though I'm supposing a lot of it really comes down to how you feel about mirror universe episodes. I generally find them a small little fun fluff episode in the middle of a 24 episode season. However, making them a large two part episode towards the end of a 13 episode season that seems to have no relation to the broader plot is nonsense. I'm really surprised at the praise this episode seems to be getting online, especially since it was two disjointed halves and had no real ending.

And f**k mirror Burnham, makes me long for the days of whispering tearful Burnham. I'm interested in the story of the burn, I'm interested in the story of how starfleet/the federation became what it is now. I'm somewhat interested in Adira. Can we not focus on some of these instead of a two part distraction episode so the actors can show off their hammy side?

Yawn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

I actually thought it was the best episode of the season.... It had a story that didn't make me roll my eyes and wondering what happens next.

Maybe as mick spock was technically the antagonist, and she is infallible, it was interesting to see how the emperor could change the time,but I think a nice clear singular story with a purpose felt refreshing.

Other thoughts,
    I've really really started to hate all the whispering. Once you hear it, you can't unhear it.

Is it racist to say I find Georgiou difficult to understand when she does the low growl lines.

Book is genuinely the most charismatic guy on the show, from nowhere like.

I think I'm kinda into blonde, heavy eye makeup tilly. Carlow Debs date tillly who cries at the end of the night, no, but bitch blonde, I totally would drunk text.

Glasses guy is cool. So is the mirror security officer, but prime security officer only ever seems to see if Detmer is OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,962 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

So. A few weeks ago I tried to piece together what sort of nonsense the plot points they'd been planting were moving towards, and the answer I had was Universe hopping, and most important Mirror Michael. As I said here at the time, I hoped they wouldn't, but here we are. There was just no way - despite what anyone else said - that they wouldn't use the opportunity of Mirror Michael in some way. It's too CW-drama to miss out on. Didn't matter that time had passed, didn't matter that time crystals weren't available in the alt universe, or that discovery was gone, or any of that stuff... they'd just write whatever they wanted. So we have a magical man (guardian) with a newspaper and a door. Job done.

As an episode... i mean, it was fine. But I mostly just found myself being frustrated that they actually did it, and that they're distracted from all the mysteries and storylines they've already set up. Like, I honestly just don't care about the mirror universe or anyone in it. I don't care about Georgiu, or Mirror Michael, or Killy. We've more than enough going on in the future between everything, and I just don't need this tangent off elsewhere for 2 episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Not sure any of you spotted, but Airiam is alive in the Terran universe.

Moving on. I'll be glad when Giorgiu is out of the show. Old Trek you have mirror stories as one offs and you move on. This one drags terrible. The let's throw them back into their old life and show how much they've softened trope is tired now.
    Interesting twist that the Kelpians might be at the source of The Burn so I'm interested to see where that goes.

The lack of budget is as plain as a punch in the face, the don’t even try to make the snow planet not look like Canada it’s pathetic.
    Also they couldn’t bring back Lorca which again shows there cash strapped and anyway a proper actor would have blown these toothpaste commercial people out of the water.

corkie wrote: »
    tEiYfWkydHuKwIpB2JW-y0nExL3uKXcGNl668r9e8qwvZx6UjZSg9tDWO0ctvLHkrN2krGXMe0hPY7hfJkMht9gywa1ac-YEzrFA3CM44ShudRcB5-pHQLgfJFhzpNyw9M3z7lMyMVW9weAOWrG8MQNmnIyY-IqJy-A

Another one is how Ni'var(ians) knew about 'Mickey Spock'?

Edit:- When they got scanned, she was identified as terrain and they had to explain things in earlier of screen briefings?

It’s as if the hire new writers for each episode.

It’s as if the hire new writers for each episode.

Different writers is normal but they need a good showrunner and I think they are on number 5 or 6 already which is not a good sign and I dont think the executive producer is up to the job either

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Pretty confident it'll be related to Mirror Burnham alright, but not about her death, since she just went missing, so her death isn't confirmed on the show. I'm guessing she'll make an appearance.
    So, i'm not sure if wild speculation around the teaser for the next episode at the end of the last one counts as a spoiler, but I'll pop it in spoiler tags anyway to be safe in case anyone didn't' watch the "next week on...".

There's a moment where Michael and Georgiu are on a seemingly desolate ice planet - except that the grounds surface in front of them looks distinctly round, like the saucer section of a ship left buried beneath them. I'm wondering if this is the Music-Mystery/Distress call ship at the origin of The Burn, and in turn, if that ship is the Discovery-in-waiting from Calypso. And for more wild speculation, that Georgiu has to go off on some completing the circle time travel mission back in time, and off into her own series. I really hope most of this isn't true - especially that the Discovery-deux had anything to do with The Burn.

So. A few weeks ago I tried to piece together what sort of nonsense the plot points they'd been planting were moving towards, and the answer I had was Universe hopping, and most important Mirror Michael. As I said here at the time, I hoped they wouldn't, but here we are. There was just no way - despite what anyone else said - that they wouldn't use the opportunity of Mirror Michael in some way. It's too CW-drama to miss out on. Didn't matter that time had passed, didn't matter that time crystals weren't available in the alt universe, or that discovery was gone, or any of that stuff... they'd just write whatever they wanted. So we have a magical man (guardian) with a newspaper and a door. Job done.

You definitely predicted, but I was also right with saying there had be some 'timey wimey' involved.

It will be interesting how the story pans out now, as Georgiou is effectively creating an
    alternative mirror universe timeline now.
    If she is really in the past. She didn't kill Mirror Stamets, I believe lorca had him vaporized.

The Guardian of Forever in Star Trek Discovery vs TOS vs TNG

Bosco wants his door back?

• Advertisement

The Guardian of Forever in Star Trek Discovery vs TOS vs TNG

Bosco wants his door back?

That staff dance in TNG is one of the stupidest looking things that show ever done along with the Ferengi monkeys in the same episode.

And I would take Discovery going to Dublin Zoo over the Mirror universe any day

You definitely predicted, but I was also right with saying there had be some 'timey wimey' involved.

It will be interesting how the story pans out now, as Georgiou is effectively creating an
    alternative mirror universe timeline now.
    If she is really in the past. She didn't kill Mirror Stamets, I believe lorca had him vaporized.

If Georgo is creating a new mirror timeline then the discovery timeline as is till now no longer exists, which means the show is shooting itself in the brain.

This episode brings back the Burnham hair do, either the shot this episode last or Mikey is wearing a wig.

If Georgo is creating a new mirror timeline then the discovery timeline as is till now no longer exists, which means the show is shooting itself in the brain.

The prime timeline still exists when 'Nero' caused the 'Kelvin Timeline'.

All the prior different timelines have been now credited in show.
    "Yor traveled from 2379 and via the alternate reality created by the temporal incursion of a Romulan mining ship." <<< Kelvin.
    This episode brings back the Burnham hair do, either the shot this episode last or Mikey is wearing a wig.

aa_9783_std_s3_readyroom_7_sonequa_so_16x9_1200x675.jpg?h=d0df0d37&itok=qYRf7Jdu

Definitely wigs, thought that was obvious?

The prime timeline still exists when 'Nero' caused the 'Kelvin Timeline'.

All the prior different timelines have been now credited in show.
    "Yor traveled from 2379 and via the alternate reality created by the temporal incursion of a Romulan mining ship." <<< Kelvin.

aa_9783_std_s3_readyroom_7_sonequa_so_16x9_1200x675.jpg?h=d0df0d37&itok=qYRf7Jdu

Definitely wigs, thought that was obvious?

Discovery is set before the Kelvin line appeared therefore there was no other timeline up until this episode. If Georgeo has changed her future then the events that have happened in series 1 no longer will

Does anyone else find it weird when they call it the "prime" timeline in show. I thought those were just fan words

Hated it. The Evil mirror verse only works if you remove your brain and kick it around the room while watching.

The bedazzled uniforms, and the fake evil bravado from lovies is painful to watch. When we saw the whole crew together I was expecting them to do that clicky finger thing and burst into a song, 'we're evil, so evil. You better believe us. Soooo evil.'

Hated it. The Evil mirror verse only works if you remove your brain and kick it around the room while watching.

The bedazzled uniforms, and the fake evil bravado from lovies is painful to watch. When we saw the whole crew together I was expecting them to do that clicky finger thing and burst into a song, 'we're evil, so evil. You better believe us. Soooo evil.'

And the amount of noise they make with those uniforms just giving a solute

Discovery is set before the Kelvin line appeared therefore there was no other timeline up until this episode. If Georgeo has changed her future then the events that have happened in series 1 no longer will

Reason why I used if she has traveled to the past?
    If she is in the past, and generating a new timeline, events can play out differently. Maybe even killing Mirror Lorca before he gets swapped in to prime universe. Consider the timelines as fork's where everything we know still happens in one but not the other.

I quoted a discussion in the 32nd century, that took place while 'in the present' so they know of the 'Kelvin Universe'.

Did Star Trek: Discovery’s Georgiou Just Create a New Timeline?

Headaches: Temporal Mechanics : Original timeline has to continue to exist, so 'Georgiou' is able to travel to the past to create a new timeline.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Next week may be the first time I haven't looked forward to coming home on Friday and watching Disco with my youngest (even if there's still a lot I don't like about it). Alt-reality episodes on every other tv show have often left me cold, with the nagging suspicion they're there so the cast can have a bit of craic playing the same character with opposite characteristics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,224 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

A few hours in the agony booth will change your perspective!

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Advertisement