Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Quiz marque 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,052 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Longest coastline - would that be Greece?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

looksee wrote: »
    Longest coastline - would that be Greece?

No, and I'm not sure if you misunderstand the question. Not absolutely longest coastline.

which sovereign country has comparatively the longest coastline per square km of area?

No, I got that, it always strikes me that Greece isn't that big but has a very wiggly coastline, I am sure there are smaller places that are even wigglier though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

Japan?

Indonesia has to be a possibility?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Micronesia? French Polynesia? Or is it Chile?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I'd say that Norway has the jaggiest coastline followed by, errrr, Scotland?

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Beasty wrote: »
    Alas there is one....:pac:

Diccky Dunnit?

Also know as Richard Dunne - definitely a blast from the past!

Oh and McCarthy predates the Premiership (he's a year older than me:o)

Yes, that's right

OldGoat wrote: »
    I'd say that Norway has the jaggiest coastline followed by, errrr, Scotland?

Norway has the longest coastline of any European country, but not at all the longest in then world in proportion to its size.

New Home wrote: »
    Micronesia? French Polynesia?

No, but you're on the right track

P.S. French Polynesia is not a sovereign state. Is Micronesia sovereign? I think it's controversial.

• Advertisement

Oh lord, I just looked it up. Indonesia isn't in the ha'penny place. The ensuing debate should be good though!

IrishZeus wrote: »
    Japan?

??

IrishZeus wrote: »
    ??

Nope.

I never said it was on the Pacific.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,291 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

keane2097 wrote: »
    Yes, that's right

Well I'm going for another footie one

An Irishman who played for both NI and ROI. Picked up the FA Cup. Although an outfield player on one occasion played in goal (from the start of the match) for his English team....

Beasty wrote: »
    Well I'm going for another footie one

An Irishman who played for both NI and ROI. Picked up the FA Cup. Although an outfield player on one occasion played in goal (from the start of the match) for his English team....

Jackie Carey?

So...who else owes us a question? :D

oh yes, we are still waiting for the coastline one.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,291 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

feargale wrote: »
    Jackie Carey?

Yep

Played for the IFA XI and the FAI XI - playing England twice 3 days apart, losing 7-2 at Windsor Park, and 1-0 at Dalymount

First non-British player to captain an FA Cup winning team (Manchester United in 1948 - the first team to win the FA Cup without any home ties - mainly because Old Trafford had been bombed in the war!)

One Stephen's Day United were playing Sunderland at Roker Park. The goalkeeper went down with an illness and with no travelling reserve Carey played in goal. United regularly looked to their Irish players whenever they needed someone to replace an injured goalkeeper, mainly because of their GAA Football skills

Coastline question is outstanding but I now owe another:

Which Irish venue was destroyed by fire on 18th July 1951 following an exhortation to "Keep the home fires burning"?

Coastline question is outstanding but I now owe another:

Which Irish venue was destroyed by fire on 18th July 1951 following an exhortation to "Keep the home fires burning"?
    My father was on duty with the fire brigade the night of the fire so I've heard the tale of it so many times. It was the Old Abbey Theatre.

My father was on duty with the fire brigade the night of the fire so I've heard the tale of it so many times. It was the Old Abbey Theatre.

Correct, the theatre caught fire following a performance of Sean O'Casey's The Plough And The Stars. In the final scene of O’Casey’s play about 1916, two British soldiers guard the dead bodies of a working class Loyalist woman and two children in the attic of a Dublin tenement. They drink tea and sing the army marching song “Keep the Home Fires Burning”. 

Not to be outdone by the Liffeyside impostor, the real capital of Ireland had its own theatre fire on 12th December 1955 when the Cork Opera House went up in flames. A young recently married couple who were both professional performers at the Opera House had lodgings in the city while they were saving for a house. Husband looked out the window, saw the fire and called his wife saying "look at that." She exclaimed "oh, that's Rory Borey-Alliss. Isn't it magnificent!" He retorted: "Rory Borey-Alliss my
    a---. That's our mortgage gone up in flames."

• Advertisement

What continent lays claim to having the largest tidal range (the difference between low and high tide marks)?

At a (uninformed) guess it would be on the equator...South America would average out because it goes so far south so maybe Africa? That is wholly unscientific waffle.

Edit - :D it was indeed unscientific waffle.

looksee wrote: »
    At a (uninformed) guess it would be on the equator...South America would average out because it goes so far south so maybe Africa? That is wholly unscientific waffle.

Edit - :D it was indeed unscientific waffle.

My first reaction was to say North America because I once read that the small State of Delaware is three counties when the tide is out, two when it's in.
    But I'll go for Europe because the only places where I have heard of big tide variations are the Bristol Channel and the Bay of Biscay. I believe the French are big into tidal electricity generation.

What continent lays claim to having the largest tidal range (the difference between low and high tide marks)?
    I'm going for Antartica simply because it's so out of the "ordinary" already!

Africa - NaAhaaaa
    Europe - Nope
    Antartica - Swing and a miss

By the process of elimination we are getting closer. :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Oceania?

North America

New Home wrote: »
    Oceania?

Good God surely not? Tuvalu and Kiribati would be the peekaboo show - now you see them, now you don't.

I'll say North America again, since Old Goat seems to be going the Fifth Amendment route on my previous mention of it.

P.S. Sorry. I see Zeus got in before me.
    South America? Because it's about all that's left.

Maybe they have stilts?

• Advertisement

QUESTION:
    According to citypopulation.de which sovereign country has comparatively the longest coastline per square km of area?.

Last clue: Indian Ocean. I'll give the answer tomorrow if nobody scores.

Advertisement