Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Quiz marque 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

feargale wrote: »
    Last clue: indian Ocean. I'll give the answer tomorrow if nobody scores.

Malaysia?

Madagascar?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Seychelles?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,378 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Would say the Maldives but a few more years of global warming and they won't have any coastline left....

They do have a hell of a lot of small islands though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Beasty wrote: »
    Would say the Maldives but a few more years of global warming and they won't have any coastline left....

They do have a hell of a lot of small islands though

Maldives it is, with Monaco ranking second. Ironic since Monaco has the world's shortest coastline.

P.S. You're on, Beasty

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

IrishZeus wrote: »
    North America

Yep.

The Bay of Fundy, Canada at a height of 11.7m (38.4 feet)
    The highest range in the UK , 3rd largest in the world is The Severn at 9.6m (31.5 feet).

Sorry Feargale, you should have stuck with your first thoughts. :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement

What city holds the record for being the longest continuously inhabited city on earth?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,078 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I would guess its in Africa, and offer Cairo?

Damascus?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Jerusalem? Istanbul? Teheran? Not Rome, I don't think.

I'm sure I've heard the answer before, but I can't quite put my finger on it...

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,378 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

That does beg a question as to what defined a city 2+ millennia ago......

...and no, that's not my question as I don't have an answer!

• Advertisement

It said so on the road signs, Beastie, duh... :pac:

I would imagine it is any large settlement that has more than subsistence farming, some sort of centre of administration and people engaging in trades and arts. Interesting.

Given the original Olympics go back so far I would hazard a guess at Athens

Maldives it is, with Monaco ranking second. Ironic since Monaco has the world's shortest coastline.

P.S. You're on, Beasty

Harry Reynolds became a World Champion in a particular sport in 1896. Who was the next Irishman to take a senior World Championship in that sport (and a bonus point for the year)?

Damascus?

Correcto. You’re up FG

Harry Reynolds became a World Champion in a particular sport in 1896. Who was the next Irishman to take a senior World Championship in that sport (and a bonus point for the year)?

I'm guessing Wimbledon singles. There were a few Irish winners around that time. Next? James Cecil Parke? c. 1907?

IrishZeus wrote: »
    Correcto. You’re up FG

Nice easy one:
    Excluding bats, what is the only mammal native to Ireland which hibernates?

Dormouse?

New Home wrote: »
    Dormouse?

Nope.

Hedgehog?

• Advertisement

Oh good woman!! Of course!! How did I not think of that myself? :)

I wish the feckin' rabbits would hibernate, I am twitching about my new trees, not all of them have collars yet!

looksee wrote: »
    Hedgehog?

Correct. I was expecting somebody to say squirrel. They don't. They engage in dormancy which means they sleep mostly but waken from time to time to forage.

On second thoughts maybe wrestling. Would next up be Danno Mahony from Ballydehob c. 1945?

Of which novel is this the opening sentence:

"Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the Western Spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow sun."

THHGTTG.

III

(it is indeed)

That was quick!

42. :cool:

I blame one of my best friends, he brainwashed me into reading it, it's basically his bible. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

New Home wrote: »
    42. :cool:

I blame one of my best friends, he brainwashed me into reading it,vit's basically his bible. :D

I have a small tattoo that reads xlii :o

Advertisement