Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Quiz marque 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭looksee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭nompere

We had better name all of Santa's reindeer.

Dancer and Prancer and Donner and Blitzen something something Dasher and Vixen.

Right I have bagged the easy ones, does anyone know the rest?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,534 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Shirley Rudolph was one of them....

Doh!!

Just checked it up, Rudolph was a ninth reindeer, not one of the listed eight. And then there's Olive, the other reindeer...

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,534 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

looksee wrote: »
    Doh!!

No Doe's a deer!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Beasty wrote: »
    No Doe's a deer!!

A female deer.

Did you know that, as they are commonly portrayed, all Santa's reindeer have to be female because male reindeer drop their antlers at the start of winter and only females would have antlers at this time?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Yes. :)

Olive...nudge nudge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

looksee wrote: »
    Dancer and Prancer and Donner and Blitzen something something Dasher and Vixen.

Right I have bagged the easy ones, does anyone know the rest?

Comet and Cupid.

Joys of having a 5 year and a 4 year old. Those names are in repeat for the past week :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭nompere

Been travelling all day - but between you have it. Decide for yourselves who is next!

I nominate Looksee.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

(Am I the only one who gets confused between the user names LoughC and LookSee? :p)

I noticed that some while ago - if we were communicating verbally it might well cause problems, but visually they are totally different. Does that make us homonyms? Or homophones? That's not a quiz question :)

Ok, another Christmassy one. Frankincense is derived from a tree (Boswellia carterii), what part of the tree is made into frankincense?

Resin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Bark, like cinnamon?

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Newhome has it, sap or resin is collected as dry droplets on the tree. Apparently it has all sorts of beneficial qualities.

And it smells divine, too. :)

BRB.

• Advertisement

One of the things I could never figure out is why you can buy two "different" essential oils (with different names) but which are extracted, essentially (:pac:), from the same plant. What are they?

Bumpy bump.

Dunno NH, I'd make a guess at maybe citronella but not confident I am right. Or maybe cinnamon, but I am guessing.

Citronella is right, but not cinnamon.

So is citronella also called something else? I guessed it because I use it a lot but have never been clear (never bothered to find out) if it is an actual plant or some sort of citrus concoction.

It is an actual plant, all right. The clue as to the other one is in their names.

• Advertisement

Lemon / lemongrass?

Lemongrass.

Half a question each. :)

What is the name of

That's my half question...

:cool:

Ok we could probably manage one each:

What were the gifts of the fourth day of Christmas - and having answered, what were they.

• Advertisement

Four calling birds? Blackbirds (from coal, IIRC).

I think you can have that! I was looking for Colly birds, the original name, but either way they were blackbirds, so you have it!

\o/

Ok, two questions:

1. Why shouldn't blind people skydive?
    2. What do Billy the Kid and Winnie The Pooh have in common?

1. Is it because they need to be able to see which way up they are?

No.

New Home wrote: »
    Ok, two questions:

1. Why shouldn't blind people skydive?
    2. What do Billy the Kid and Winnie The Pooh have in common?

1. Cause it scares the life out of their dogs.... :D

1. Correct!! :D

2. Same middle name.

Didn't realise it was a riddle until no. 1 was answered.

I figured we could do with some Christmas-cracker-quality questions. :p

• Advertisement

Why do penguins make the best racing drivers?

IrishZeus wrote: »
    Why do penguins make the best racing drivers?

Always in pole position
    However:
    Although they're not, as they're absent from the North pole, only on the fringes of Antarctica and not at the pole itself and can be found almost at the equator. :)

That's because they drive fast, Srameen. :D

Always in pole position
    However:
    Although they're not, as they're absent from the North pole, only on the fringes of Antarctica and not at the pole itself and can be found almost at the equator. :)

Don’t you go dragging this thread up to your sophisticated level :D

Srameen? Are you there? :):p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

Always in pole position
    That begs an interesting side question: where is the largest population of penguins in the northern hemisphere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Probably a zoo somewhere?

Argentina?

Steve wrote: »
    That begs an interesting side question: where is the largest population of penguins in the northern hemisphere?

Galapagos Islands?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

You have a point there Srameen, it was not the answer I was looking for.

Apparently it's the Loro Parque Penguinarium in Tenerife, Canary Islands.

I had do do a double take there on the Galapagos islands, however technically most of the habitat is on Isla Fernandina (Southern hemisphere) and Isla Isabela (95% southern / 5% northern).

Either one of us could be right there.

Advertisement