Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Navi Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭daheadonu

Encountered this with nioh a few time although hasn't happened in a good while, along with 1 weird one where game crashed and radeon software uninstalled itself...

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

This doesn't seem to be exclusive to Navi only either - I see people on Reddit reporting issues who have either a Radeon VII or a Vega. Seems it's more down to the 2020 driver release in general.

At this stage, if you're having issues, it's probably just best to roll back to 19.12.1 or whichever was stable before and just wait it out. Maybe go for a WQHL version for good measure.

It's a bit of a disaster, but if you're not playing the latest games then you should be fine on the older driver for another while.
    OSI wrote: »
    Out of your list the only 2 I played while I had the 5700 XT were GTA 5 and The Outer Worlds. GTA 5 ran worse than it did on my GTX 970s, and the Outer Worlds had frequent frame drops and a ~20% chance of starting into a black screen requiring a kill and restart.
    GTA 5 definitely runs much better than on the 1070 I had before. The 1070 would have had drops into the 40's at 1440p, which the XT doesn't.

The Outer Worlds, performance was fine (not earth shattering) ~60 fps @ 1440p usually. I had crashes to the desktop when you would exit the ship, but really only one per 3/4 hours of gaming. I put it down to the game initially, but it seemed to be an AMD thing as it turned out.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

It would be interesting to see which exact version of the 5700xt is experiencing issues to see if its a manufacturer thing etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

What model of cards do you guys have that are having issues?

Mine is the XFX DD 5700.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

BloodBath wrote: »
    I wonder if it's a hardware problem. Bad batch of silicon or certain board partners.

Or something else, like a variety of applications that use a specific library.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Homelander

I had a stock Powercolor 5700XT. Nothing but problems. I'd lean towards applications rather than partners or silicon, because almost nothing was flagged in initial reviews, and out of the handful of games I played, most were OK.

But...

To me, if a card works well 85% of the time, but falters 15% of the time, in terms of games played, that is still a 100% useless card because it cannot be relied upon. 5700 in a nutshell for me.

Homelander wrote: »
    To me, if a card works well 85% of the time, but falters 15% of the time, in terms of games played, that is still a 100% useless card because it cannot be relied upon. 5700 in a nutshell for me.

Now that AMD is ramping up with the 5600, it's pretty clear its a Navi issue as tons more reports of blackscreens and reboots roll in.

I think hardware unboxed said it best, for every person that buys one of these cards and has to eventually send it back and pick up a Nvidia product, they didn't just lose a sale on the card, AMD lost a customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

I've been holding off on getting my GPU because of reading these issues on various forums.

Had decided on the 5700xt Sapphire nitro plus SE but now thinking maybe I should buy RTX 2070 Super or something. The GPU and monitor are the most expensive parts of my build, it's hard to ignore the issues :(

Wonder if it's worth waiting for the new cards or will amd ignore the current cards altogether then.

Such a shame. The sapphire 5700xt seemed to offer a ton of performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

amadablam wrote: »
    I've been holding off on getting my GPU because of reading these issues on various forums.

Had decided on the 5700xt Sapphire nitro plus SE but now thinking maybe I should buy RTX 2070 Super or something. The GPU and monitor are the most expensive parts of my build, it's hard to ignore the issues :(

Wonder if it's worth waiting for the new cards or will amd ignore the current cards altogether then.

Such a shame. The sapphire 5700xt seemed to offer a ton of performance.

Step down to RTX 2060 Super or GTX 1660 Super and wait for Nvidia 7nm?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Step down to RTX 2060 Super or GTX 1660 Super and wait for Nvidia 7nm?

Thanks K.O.Kiki,

Must check those out. Took your advice on mobo and cpu budget so going to put 500 ish into GPU and about 350+ into 1440p monitor

Pity there seems to be so much inconsistency in reliability on the 5700xt. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Out of interest.
    Where does this leave Sony and M$ seeing as their next-gens are both based on this chipset/design?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Out of interest.
    Where does this leave Sony and M$ seeing as their next-gens are both based on this chipset/design?

It won't be a problem. They can control the software and hardware environment.

Far less variables for stuff like this to go wrong.

Still the majority of people don't have issues on PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

I'm pretty sure it beats out the 570 at 1080p and is cheaper.

About 6 months too late to be competing against entry level Nvidia stuff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

bobbyy gee wrote: »

Were you in a coma and just woke up. That video is from five months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mucashinto

Is it expected that driver issues won’t be a problem with Navi because they will be ironed out for the console releases (as everyone says they are pretty much pcs at this point)? Or do they not necessarily cross over?

Thinking a “6070 xt” gpu is my best chance of getting something I’m happy with next gen but the previous issues would be a no-no for me despite some people seemingly getting on okay. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

I've had a 5600XT since about April and I haven't had any driver issues since I did a proper DDU uninstall of all the older AMD drivers on my system (the 5600xt replaced an RX480) about a week or two after I got it. Was getting crashes and disappointing FPS but performance jumped hugely once I had that sorted.

It was a totally new architecture launch with the 5700xt so it's pretty common for there to be teething problems for early adopters of any new tech but with user reported issues there would be a pretty large number of them that like mine were up to themselves to figure out / fix. Once it's fixed they don't tend to be as quick to go shouting that on forums though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

From reading around I can't see anything concrete about RDNA 2 other than it was supposed to be locked into a 2020 release. Has there been any rumors of an announcement? I can't find anything recent

EoinHef wrote: »
    From reading around I can't see anything concrete about RDNA 2 other than it was supposed to be locked into a 2020 release. Has there been any rumors of an announcement? I can't find anything recent

After console launch no?

• Advertisement

After console launch no?

I'm pretty sure Lisa Su said a while back Navi 2 will be released before the consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

October I've seen a few places but thats about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭circadian

Aye information is scarce. Apparently the high end model will have 80 compute units and possibly 16gb ram but at the minute it's all chatter and no solid news of anything.

I get the feeling the cards will perform well, especially regarding power usage but how they compete with nvidia is anyone's guess. We don't even know how the 30 series cards actually do the either mind you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I think Big Navi will compete well in rasterisation. Priced well, and if they offer larger VRAM amounts and lower power consumption, I think they'll do okay with people who don't yet care about ray tracing or DLSS, and have sense enough to wait for reviews. But the number of people in that camp isn't that big!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Simi

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    I think Big Navi will compete well in rasterisation. Priced well, and if they offer larger VRAM amounts and lower power consumption, I think they'll do okay with people who don't yet care about ray tracing or DLSS, and have sense enough to wait for reviews. But the number of people in that camp isn't that big!

Ray tracing is going to be standard in non-competitive titles sooner rather than later though. AMD really need to be competitive on that front this time round.

They'll also need a counter to DLSS eventually. It may only be supported by a dozen titles now. But if Nvidia substantially increases that support and DLSS 4K is indistinguishable from actual 4K but with a 20% boost to frame rate vs the comparable AMD card in the game you want to play, then it's pretty obvious which card you're going to pick.

I really hope they're being quiet because they actually have something good to show us, and not because they're figuring out how the best way to quietly push out cards that can barely match Nvidia's last generation flagship parts.

Going by Nvidia's pricing I think big Navi is going to be good. Sure Nvidia would have engineering samples of big Navi. May even have final samples depending on how close we are to launch of Navi 2.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Given their console offerings I'd be surprised if AMD don't have something special this time around. Especially now that they have a couple of months to rethink their sku positioning

Going by Nvidia's pricing I think big Navi is going to be good. Sure Nvidia would have engineering samples of big Navi. May even have final samples depending on how close we are to launch of Navi 2.

I'd usually say otherwise but its really unusual for Nvidia to firesale their last generation of product offerings, the last few years just have them come in at a higher price range.

Its worth pointing out to those that don't know, AMD hasn't really made a "large" graphics chip in a long time. Most product comparisons over the last few years have been a large Nviida chip over a much smaller AMD chip in the same price segment. Its part of the reason why AMD gets blasted over it power usage, since a node shrink and significantly smaller chip should use less power. I'm interested in Big Navi, if they can finally make a chip thats not slamming off power limits to get minimal gains and make it large enough to compete at the high end, it could actually be competitive.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

I also suspect Big Navi is going be good as well

In terms of rasterization performance I think AMD will at least have a card that can beat the 3070 and 2080Ti

I'm also certain they will be able to offer some form of Ray Tracing as well.

The question is will they be capable of running the current form for RT used by NVIDIA Turing and Ampere GPU's or opts for their own non proprietary form of RT that NVIDIA GPU's will also be able to run.

Whether their potential own form of RT will as good, better or worse than NVIDIA's remains to be seen but they could be banking on the fact that it will become the de-facto standard of RT as it will be available on consoles as well. Would developers go to the extra expense of developing a different RT implementation or features just for NVIDIA GPU's, when they already have one that works on all formats and GPU's?

I also suspect they have something in the works comparable to RTX IO for speeding up data decompression.

They do need something to counter DLSS though, that seems to be NVIDIA's trump card at the moment.

Advertisement