Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

The 3770K and 4460 are different socket types, not compatiable.

3rd and 4th gen i7 are still good for games though.

Just dropping in an i7-4770 or 4790 into your PC is relativelty cheap and hassle free though.

You're right, is it the 2*** and 3*** generations which are compatible? Either way, I'd have told him to get a mobo that will support overclocking.

I'm just wondering if it still makes sense to go for the 3770-k for the next maybe two years?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

jebidiah wrote: »
    You're right, is it the 2*** and 3*** generations which are compatible? Either way, I'd have told him to get a mobo that will support overclocking.

I'm just wondering if it still makes sense to go for the 3770-k for the next maybe two years?

Tbh if he has to get a board also he better getting a Ryzen build. You could pick up a first gen Ryzen and board second hand for relatively cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It it means buying a board as well, it's entirely pointless, I thought you were talking about just replacing the 4460 with an i7!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,304 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

kevovek wrote: »
    Do you think the vega 56/64 will come down a bit more in price in the next 2/3 months? I want something to take over from my 290x

they seem to be on the way down

https://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/8GB-PowerColor-Radeon-RX-Vega-56-Aktiv-PCIe-3-0-x16--Retail-_1189368.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

Skerries wrote: »

You can pick up a 56 on Overclocker for 320GBP/3 free games. It's been taunting me for weeks and has nearly broken my resolve lol. I'm trying to hold out for the new AMD cards but I've got the upgrade itch.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sapphire-radeon-rx-vega-56-pulse-8gb-hbm2-pci-express-graphics-card-11276-02-40g-gx-38f-sp.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Tbh if he has to get a board also he better getting a Ryzen build. You could pick up a first gen Ryzen and board second hand for relatively cheap.

Would need to move to DDR4 as well which adds a fair wack to the overall upgrade cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Joshua J wrote: »
    You can pick up a 56 on Overclocker for 320GBP/3 free games. It's been taunting me for weeks and has nearly broken my resolve lol. I'm trying to hold out for the new AMD cards but I've got the upgrade itch.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sapphire-radeon-rx-vega-56-pulse-8gb-hbm2-pci-express-graphics-card-11276-02-40g-gx-38f-sp.html

Well if you order it tonight, sure as hell AMD will announce some super cheap and crazy specced GPU's at their keynote tomorrow :D

hCD69369D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,981 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Hi.
    Do you lot know if connecting a HDMI to a laptop bypassed the graphics of the laptop hooked to a TV.

I'v tried a laptop then the above and the latter worked better.

The laptops GPU is still being used.

The laptops GPU is still being used.

Thanks, maybe its the screen that is bad.
    But works on TV but not laptop.

Not to bother anyway just checking out of interest.

• Advertisement

Venom wrote: »
    Would need to move to DDR4 as well which adds a fair wack to the overall upgrade cost.

My main concern for him is really value for money now Vs longevity. If he can get the 3770k+mobo from our friend for a good price, or a 4790 for his current mobo and run for another two years with his current DDR 3 ram SSD and GPU, then I'd say he would be happy.

All depends on whether those CPUs are going to last in games for the next few years?

They should last fine. It's way easier to get just the 4790 for €120 2nd hand and drop it in. I doubt someone's gonna sell a 3770K + board for much less (if even) and you've to go to all the effort of rebuilding the full system.

If it comes down to that, you'd be way better off just selling the current board, ram + 4460 for €130 or whatever and getting a Ryzen 1600X, 8GB DDR4 and an A320M or B350 board.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Jeff2 wrote: »
    Hi.
    Do you lot know if connecting a HDMI to a laptop bypassed the graphics of the laptop hooked to a TV.

I'v tried a laptop then the above and the latter worked better.
    Thanks, maybe its the screen that is bad.
    But works on TV but not laptop.

Not to bother anyway just checking out of interest.
    What exactly are you trying to do though?

If you connect a TV/monitor via HDMI to your laptop, it just turns into another screen that Windows can use.
    They don't have any graphics capabilities of their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,304 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Joshua J wrote: »

that link was €299 when I posted so must have gone back up

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    What exactly are you trying to do though?

If you connect a TV/monitor via HDMI to your laptop, it just turns into another screen that Windows can use.
    They don't have any graphics capabilities of their own.

I was running a game on laptop and it was very slow.
    When I hooked it to the TV it ran much better.

I was running a game on laptop and it was very slow.
    When I hooked it to the TV it ran much better.

That's weird. What is the resolution of Tv and laptop screen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭kevovek

anyone have any experience buying B Grade stuff from Overclockers?

That's weird. What is the resolution of Tv and laptop screen?

I'll check all out tomorrow.

Run it on the laptop and right after run it hooked to the TV to be sure it wasn't lag on the server or Internet.
    I'm pretty sure it was just because of the TV, weird indeed.

The only thing that would make sense is if the TV is lower resolution than the laptop, e.g 768p vs 1080p.

I once bought a ultra wide B grade but I never received it. It obviously got lost in transit but luckily for me it made it's way back to them so I was refunded.

I waited about two weeks before contacting them and they told me they sold it to someone else. I was actually kinda glad as it was a spur of the moment buy that I did not need. That was a few years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,730 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Amusing story, my mate is doing a new build and he ordered the DDR4 Vengeance RAM off Amazon 4-5 weeks ago and only got the final components recently, he gets into the middle of putting it together, fishes the RAM out and on opening it it contains 2 x 128mb of old skool DDR sticks, some smart arse had swapped it out and returned it for I guess a full refund. Amazon kindly agreed to the return and exchange, but you'd really think they'd do a better job of return inspections and not do this to a customer!

PMauprX.jpg

Got my replacement X99 motherboard from there, still working grand :)

That is bad regarding the RAM.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Really common. Amazon see it as cheaper to take the hit than spend 3 mins on each restocking but that misses the extreme frustration for the "second" customer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭kevovek

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Got my replacement X99 motherboard from there, still working grand :)

Nice one, just keeping an eye on the vega 56/64 B grade prices some are pretty tempting

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭h0neybadger

Hey guys. hopefully someone can help.

I ordered a motherboard from Amazon Warehouse. Used item.
    Can't ship to Ireland unfortunately. So I used Parcel Motel.

Arrived this evening, and just collected it.

It's not what I ordered. Completely different motherboard :( but the right box.

Filling out a returns form with Amazon, it's only showing Hermes drop off and Royal Mail drop off.
    Trying to add an address to return it from, won't give me any more options.

Any thoughts? Should I ring Amazon and see what they can do? Or will I need to somehow get it to a RoyalMail post office? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭EoinHef

With only about £20 in the difference would people go for a 8700k or a 9700K?

That includes board cooler ram for each etc so only £20 in the difference overall

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

EoinHef wrote: »
    With only about £20 in the difference would people go for a 8700k or a 9700K?

That includes board cooler ram for each etc so only £20 in the difference overall

Went for the 9700k myself and love it :)

Hey guys. hopefully someone can help.

I ordered a motherboard from Amazon Warehouse. Used item.
    Can't ship to Ireland unfortunately. So I used Parcel Motel.

Arrived this evening, and just collected it.

It's not what I ordered. Completely different motherboard :( but the right box.

Filling out a returns form with Amazon, it's only showing Hermes drop off and Royal Mail drop off.
    Trying to add an address to return it from, won't give me any more options.

Any thoughts? Should I ring Amazon and see what they can do? Or will I need to somehow get it to a RoyalMail post office? :(

Email or call and explain what happened. They are excellent with returns like this. Will most likely ask you to pay for postage and will refund it once item is received back.

• Advertisement

With regards b-grade....unless the saving is massive, I just wouldn't. The vast majority of companies either don't test stuff properly, don't test it at all, or just give it rudimentary testing for a few minutes and slap a 'a-OK' sticker on it and re-sell.

Someone mentioned buying a b-grade Vega from OCUK......a new Vega is £349 with 3 brand new AAA games and has a full warranty. The B-Grade item has no games and just a 90 day warranty, so even if it was working 100%, the saving would have to be massive in my opinion....which it likely isn't.

Advertisement