Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone use in States

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭glog

Going to the States in August and doing my homework..

Reading this thread, it seems people have varying success with three at home or local SIM card. I see quite a few people are mentioning speed issues.
    Can it be this is related to people having devices that don't support 4G LTE bands and therefore by default get 3G speeds ?

I am trying to figure out if I have any device that will work in US.
    I have Mifi Vodafone R215 which will most likely not work on 4G. I have a Huawei P9 lite that probably also won't do 4G and then an old HTC M8 where I am not sure whether it will work or not.
    The specs online say the US frequencies are supported, but I am wondering whether there are mutliple versions of this phone, if not , it seems to support almost every frequency worldwide...and if something seems to be too good to be true.....

Anyone that can definitely say which devices work on 4G in US ? By that I mean personal experience of the device in the US.
    Feel like home for Three.co.uk does not include data roaming on 4G - only 3G.
    And even on 3G it is throttled that you cannot stream.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

This is a good site to see what networks your phone work on in various countries...
    http://willmyphonework.net/

OK, so I looked at a few devices and am I wrong to state that in general devices bought in Europe don't work on 4G in the US ? I checked for AT&T and T-mobile. I wouldn't mind buying a new phone here, but I wonder if there are any Android phones here that would work on US 4G ?

In which case it may an idea to pick up a cheap 4G phone over there and use it as hotspot and satnav in combination with a t-mobile prepaid SIM ?
    glog wrote: »
    Feel like home for Three.co.uk does not include data roaming on 4G - only 3G.
    And even on 3G it is throttled that you cannot stream.

That is very useful information... thanks. Streaming is a must on a road trip with an 8 year old..

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭MB05

If you are just going to the US for a couple of weeks would either of the other size SIM cards 3 do work? They do a 1 GB (expires after 30 days) and a 3GB (expires after 90 days) on Amazon that I was looking at. I don't need 12GB as all I want to do is be able to call an Uber and use either Whatsapp or Viber for calls. The prices have jumped up recently but this is the link for reference purposes:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B01B23ZK94/ref=olp_twister_child?ie=UTF8&mv_size_name=1&qid=1497300032&sr=8-6

The 1GB was only £4.39 last week so I am hoping it goes back to that level again soon. I am not travelling until the end of the year so I am in no rush to buy it. I just wondered if I see it again at this price would it do the same job the 12GB one does?

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭The Duk

bk wrote: »
    No this is the one:

https://www.mymemory.co.uk/SIM-Cards/3/3-PAYG-4G-Trio-Data-SIM-Pack-Incl.-12GB-Data

The one you linked to will only last 30 days from first use, while this one will last 12 months (or until 12GB runs out). No calls or texts from this one, data only, but I'm fine with that when travelling, just use whatsapp.

Yup just whacked it into my phone and it worked straight off. However note I've an unlocked phone, you will need to unlock your phone first if it is currently locked.

BTW to add to what messinkiapina says above, my Irish number is on that Lyca deal. So what I do when I get to the US, is stick the Three UK sim in my iphone and put my Irish sim in an old dumb phone so that I can still get and make calls and texts from it too.

Alternatively a dual sim phone would get rid of this need.

I'm flying over to the States on the 1st of July mymemory.co.uk says it'll process the order in 24 hrs and delivery takes 7 to 10 working days. Any chance I'll get this in time if I order now???

• Registered Users Posts: 81,467 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The Duk wrote: »
    I'm flying over to the States on the 1st of July mymemory.co.uk says it'll process the order in 24 hrs and delivery takes 7 to 10 working days. Any chance I'll get this in time if I order now???

I ordered one and it took about 7 working days to get it, I'd say if you order today you will have it easily before you leave. I think it's the Channel Islands they are shipped form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭biebiebie

So long as you don't procrastinate any longer :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

Just back from 2 weeks in the States using the three 12GB sim. Worked a treat. Had 3g pretty much everywhere and used google maps pretty much everyday since it was a road trip. Dead handy. Only used 4GB of data overall. I would also advise people to sign up to Revolut as a means of paying for things over there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oakshade

Just back from 2 weeks in the States using the three 12GB sim. Worked a treat. Had 3g pretty much everywhere and used google maps pretty much everyday since it was a road trip. Dead handy. Only used 4GB of data overall. I would also advise people to sign up to Revolut as a means of paying for things over there too.

Can I ask how long it took for the three sim to be delivered? I ordered it nearly two weeks ago and there is no sign of it hitting my address pal yet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

Vodafone do a €2.99 a day add on for the states with 200mb plus endless call and texts.

http://www.vodafone.ie/roaming/rates-by-country/bill-pay/

I'm thinking of going with this for my upcoming short trip.

Would people advise or advise against this?

M

gizmo81 wrote: »
    Vodafone do a ?2.99 a day add on for the states with 200mb plus endless call and texts.

http://www.vodafone.ie/roaming/rates-by-country/bill-pay/

I'm thinking of going with this for my upcoming short trip.

Would people advise or advise against this?

200 MB is grand if your just checking emails, having a look Facebook etc but if you need to use Google Maps or watch videos on Youtube it will be gone in no time. A good idea would be to set a limit of 200 MB on your phone tomorrow to see how much data you go through. The unlimited calls and texts is great.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

Oh cool thanks, I didn't know I could do that lol

I'm googling as we speak :)

200 MB is grand if your just checking emails, having a look Facebook etc but if you need to use Google Maps or watch videos on Youtube it will be gone in no time. A good idea would be to set a limit of 200 MB on your phone tomorrow to see how much data you go through. The unlimited calls and texts is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Lima Golf

I ordered on a Saturday and it took the full 10 working days to reach me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Doodah7

On the other hand, I ordered on a Thursday and it was delivered the following Tuesday. So it very much depends on luck...

As an aside, I had used it in Spain earlier in the month and once I got it working in my mifi it worked very well. I was in London on the weekend and used it again to hopefully reset the roaming month and it was brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Had mine in 3 days to parcel motel. Used mine for the first time in Germany two weeks ago and it was great other than the usual 3 dropping signal every now and then having to do a reboot. Don't miss the 3 network here at all. Will be using it in the states for the first time in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

I've just ordered the Three sim for my trip to California in August. Did you guys just pop it in and away you went or did you have to register?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

Duff wrote: »
    I've just ordered the Three sim for my trip to California in August. Did you guys just pop it in and away you went or did you have to register?
    I tested SIM here before daughter went and registered on three.co.uk. Very easy to do and you can then just login anytime and check your usage. Also, worked here in Dublin straight away but APN had to be manually changed once she hit Florida. Working fine for her there at present.

dodzy wrote: »
    Also, worked here in Dublin straight away but APN had to be manually changed once she hit Florida. Working fine for her there at present.

Same for me in Spain. I spent a day grappling with this issue as I assumed that my mifi (and 3 sim) would automatically just use the local telco that the 3 sim was piggybacking off. Once I manually added the 3 APN, it worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,935 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Have a three UK 12gb sim I've bought for the US, what will I need to change to get it working in America? Have it in a mifi thing at the minute. What apn info do I need to change it to? Thought it'd work out of the box there. Any help gratefully received.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Have a three UK 12gb sim I've bought for the US, what will I need to change to get it working in America? Have it in a mifi thing at the minute. What apn info do I need to change it to? Thought it'd work out of the box there. Any help gratefully received.

Add in a manual APN as follows:

Name:3
    APN: three.co.uk
    Leave username and password blank.

Should work then.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,935 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

tallpaul wrote: »
    Add in a manual APN as follows:

Name:3
    APN: three.co.uk
    Leave username and password blank.

Should work then.

Thanks for that.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 muirsin

Hi
    I have just got one one of the 3 uk sims. Its asking for a sim network unlock pin. Where do I get this

muirsin wrote: »
    Hi
    I have just got one one of the 3 uk sims. Its asking for a sim network unlock pin. Where do I get this

Ate you sure that your handset is unlocked to all networks? Again, don't assume that a UK 3 SIM will work in a three ireland handset. If so, then there should be a 4 digit on the card that the SIM card was inserted into when you received it.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 muirsin

Thanks for that. I presumed because phone was 3 here it would be ok

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭vicadd

Just arrived in Newark airport and using the 3 data sim in a dwr-720 d-link wifi dongle. This was working perfectly in Ireland, but only connecting to 2g network and getting no Internet connection on my phone over WiFi.
    Any ideas? Do I need to get 3g connection?

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭LeChienMefiant

I tried my ee osprey mini 2 and it didn't seem to pick up a signal on the bands they use here. My xiaomi 5 works no problem however.

M

vicadd wrote: »
    Just arrived in Newark airport and using the 3 data sim in a dwr-720 d-link wifi dongle. This was working perfectly in Ireland, but only connecting to 2g network and getting no Internet connection on my phone over WiFi.
    Any ideas? Do I need to get 3g connection?

Tethering is not supported with it so while it will work fine on dongle it's unlikely to work with any other devices trying to tether to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

sugarman wrote:
    If you have a data allowance it works as normal over there, along with calls/texts.

sugarman wrote:
    Just get a free 3 UK sim, they've 3 like home in the U.S so you are billed as normal.

sugarman wrote:
    Costs £10 for 1GB plan, £20 for 12GB or else All you can eat for £25.

Yes, this is a great option, I contacted 3 uk and this sim normally lasts for 12 months for UK residents but there is a 2 month limit for Irish Residents, still a great deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭MB05

Hi August12, do you know how they would know you are an Irish resident? I just assumed that if you bought the 3 UK sim via parcel motel etc they would class you as a UK resident.

I am thinking of just getting either the 1gb or 3gb data only Sim to use in my phone in Orlando later this year so it might not matter as they are only 30 day or 90 day deals. I'm a little nervous though that the data only one designed for tablets and dongles won't work in my phone. Do you know if you get a phone number with it?

Someone told me to get the payg sim instead, top it up by £10 or £20 and get a calls, texts and data add on. They said we can't ring home but we can ring each other if we both get one. I just don't know which one is best to go for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

MB05 wrote:
    Hi August12, do you know how they would know you are an Irish resident? I just assumed that if you bought the 3 UK sim via parcel motel etc they would class you as a UK resident.

I couldn't process order through parcel motel, credit card problem, they recognised a non UK credit card and for some reason, from what I remember, credit card not accepted. The sim card can be purchased from a third party site, think it's something like memory.ie, will have to double check that or if you knew someone in UK, they could purchase for you. I'm not sure how they would know im not a UK mobile customer, probably something to do with satellite receiver filtering software.

• Advertisement

august12 wrote: »
    Yes, this is a great option, I contacted 3 uk and this sim normally lasts for 12 months for UK residents but there is a 2 month limit for Irish Residents, still a great deal.
    august12 wrote: »
    I couldn't process order through parcel motel, credit card problem, they recognised a non UK credit card and for some reason, from what I remember, credit card not accepted. The sim card can be purchased from a third party site, think it's something like memory.ie, will have to double check that or if you knew someone in UK, they could purchase for you. I'm not sure how they would know im not a UK mobile customer, probably something to do with satellite receiver filtering software.

https://www.mymemory.ie/3-payg-4g-trio-data-sim-pack-incl-12gb-data.html

Advertisement