Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone use in States

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭The Duk

Received 3uk sim today from mymemory. Popped in to my phone, registered and its working perfectly. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

The Duk wrote:
    Received 3uk sim today from mymemory. Popped in to my phone, registered and its working perfectly. Thanks again.

Can you link to the one you bought and maybe post back after 2 months to let us know if it still remains active, 3uk customer service told me it would expire after 2 months for non UK residents.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 muirsin

Mine working ok here in new york. Nothin needed for settings. Fairly slow but working on T mobile

• Registered Users Posts: 9,950 ✭✭✭dodzy

august12 wrote: »
    Can you link to the one you bought and maybe post back after 2 months to let us know if it still remains active, 3uk customer service told me it would expire after 2 months for non UK residents.

That's bull. It's good for a year from activation. Doesn't matter where you're from.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Doodah7

There may be issues if the sim is used exclusively outside of the UK for more than two months in the twelve. However there is little definitive proof that they have actually pulled the plug on anyone breaching this condition.

On their website under 'Usage Restrictions' is the following:

"If you roam exclusively in a Feel At Home destination for any 2 complete months in a rolling 12 month period, we may suspend international roaming on your account, which means you'll no longer be able to use your device or allowances abroad. We'd let you know if this were likely to happen first. If you spend a full month abroad but some of that time is spent in a destination that isn't included in Feel At Home, this restriction won't apply".

Therefore if you do not use the sim in the UK at all in a month then it counts towards the two months 'limit'. In any event they will give a heads up before cutting off the customer.

In my case I used the sim in Spain earlier this month but then happened to be in the UK later. I used my sim in both countries, but as I was not roaming exclusively 'abroad', June will not count towards the two month limit.

http://support.three.co.uk/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBISAPI.DLL?Command=New,Kb=Mobile,Ts=Mobile,T=Article,varset_cat=roaming,varset_subcat=4157,Case=Ext(EM38751)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I've had mine for almost a year now and have used it on and off in four countries in that time no bother.

The point of the 2 month rule is that you shouldn't just use it constantly in Ireland. Basically they don't want people signing up to this from other countries and using this in Ireland all year round.

If you keep it for just when you go abroad and don't use it in Ireland at all then you should be ok. Obviously good to use it up in Northern Ireland or U.K. when you can. But I wouldn't worry too much about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭seven stars

Give yourself plenty of time if you're ordering the 3 sim from mymemory. I ordered mine at 8am on 13 June and it still hasn't arrived. Didn't use parcel motel, which may have been a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭WayneEnterprise

Give yourself plenty of time if you're ordering the 3 sim from mymemory. I ordered mine at 8am on 13 June and it still hasn't arrived. Didn't use parcel motel, which may have been a mistake.

Odd, I ordered mine on the 16th June and it arrived on the 21st. Delivered direct to Dublin, no parcel motel. Maybe get in touch with them, it may have gone missing in transit.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Ordered form MyMem last week (microSD cards), arrived in four or five days. Somebody(AP or Jersey Post) have lost your packet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

I ordered a free sim to parcel motel direct from the 3 website on this link: https://www.three.co.uk/Support/Free_SIM/Order

Took about a week or so to arrive. For anyone having issues topping up directly on the 3 UK site, it's down to the fact the use address verification on their payment system. This will stop most cards, including Revolut from working.

If you need to top up, just sign up for a Neteller UK account (I used the PM address) and use their virtual card. You can use Revolut etc to top up this account and then top up via the 3 site.

Bit of a pain, but it's an easy enough work around.

• Advertisement

Odd, I ordered mine on the 16th June and it arrived on the 21st. Delivered direct to Dublin, no parcel motel. Maybe get in touch with them, it may have gone missing in transit.
    ED E wrote: »
    Ordered form MyMem last week (microSD cards), arrived in four or five days. Somebody(AP or Jersey Post) have lost your packet.

Nuts. I've given MyMemory a shout, but there's no chance of them sending a replacement to me in time, and I've really no need for the thing otherwise.

Looks like I'll have to look at alternative options. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭aon1998

Nuts. I've given MyMemory a shout, but there's no chance of them sending a replacement to me in time, and I've really no need for the thing otherwise.

Have a look at amazon.com, you might be able to get 1 day shipping to your hotel.

You could just pick up something like this while you are there:

https://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-international-tourist-plan

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I had a problem with Mymemory and the postage and they said they wouldn't entertain me until at least 28days had passed. It was not tracked, it came from the Netherlands eventually.

I have mine, wanted it for the USA. Used a small few GB on a 12gb Data only thing. Don't need it anymore.

Berty wrote: »
    I had a problem with Mymemory and the postage and they said they wouldn't entertain me until at least 28days had passed. It was not tracked, it came from the Netherlands eventually.

I have mine, wanted it for the USA. Used a small few GB on a 12gb Data only thing. Don't need it anymore.

Don't suppose you'd be prepared to let it go for a small fee? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Don't suppose you'd be prepared to let it go for a small fee? :pac:

Don't see why not. I don't need or want it anymore. My upcoming trips are all EU so I have free roaming now anyway.

Send me a PM sure.

Berty wrote: »
    Don't see why not. I don't need or want it anymore. My upcoming trips are all EU so I have free roaming now anyway.

Send me a PM sure.

Legend. PM sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭The Duk

august12 wrote:

Will do working fin in SFO at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

You could just pick up something like this while you are there:

https://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-international-tourist-plan

Has anybody used this? Seems like a really handy option. I am going to the states next week for 6 days and have had a read through this thread, is this the best option available?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Has anybody used this? Seems like a really handy option. I am going to the states next week for 6 days and have had a read through this thread, is this the best option available?

The best deal is the Three UK 12GB SIM. But that probably wouldn't arrive in time for you, so this might be the next best thing.

If you are with Vodafone, they do 200MB for €3 a day, which could be a handy option too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

I went with this option for my last trip to the US as I was there for work and needed a US number.

2 things to note about this option, I had to pay another $11 to activate the number and not all phones that can access 4G here will be able to access it there. The use different LTE bands in the US and some older phones don't support those bands. I have a Moto G 1st gen which can connect to 4G here and in Europe but I could only get 2G access which is pretty much usable these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oakshade

Three UK are not letting me top up with an Irish card this morning. Any workaround? Thanks all.

oakshade wrote: »
    Three UK are not letting me top up with an Irish card this morning. Any workaround? Thanks all.

Revolut, Neteller, PayPal, Pockit?

Also, you could try just entering the first line of your Irish address and then any UK postcode.

Revolut, Neteller, PayPal, Pockit?

Also, you could try just entering the first line of your Irish address and then any UK postcode.

Thanks for the response. My Revolt is Irish registered and failed and they don't accept PayPal. I might try a UK VPN. I hope this isn't the beginning of the end of this bargain.

oakshade wrote: »
    Thanks for the response. My Revolt is Irish registered and failed and they don't accept PayPal. I might try a UK VPN. I hope this isn't the beginning of the end of this bargain.

Did you not buy the SIM online pre-load with the credit already from my-memory, etc.?

That is the easiest way to get this deal.

bk wrote: »
    Did you not buy the SIM online pre-load with the credit already from my-memory, etc.?

That is the easiest way to get this deal.

I'm guessing the poster used the included 12GB and is now trying to top up

I'm guessing the poster used the included 12GB and is now trying to top up

I found a solution :) you can top up using myphonecard.co.uk and PayPal. You need to email them first and explain your from Ireland ya-de-ya just for fraud prevention but it works, for a small fee. I only go to the US once or twice a year but 12gb for 26euro (20GBP plus fees) is still worth it to me. Thanks all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

oakshade wrote:

I've read it's cheaper to buy the 12gb sim card again as opposed to topping up.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,799 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I've read it's cheaper to buy the 12gb sim card again as opposed to topping up.

Yes to topup the 12gb sim online on Three.co.uk it's...
    £10 1GB
    £15 3GB
    £25 7GB

These topups are also only valid for 30 days, far better to just buy another 12GB SIM each time for £25ish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Ro-76

Tethering is not allowed on it, I presume they have a system in place with the host provider to police this but you never know.

http://www.three.co.uk/feel-at-home

As a follow up to this, I used the SIM in an old iphone with MyWi in the US no problem. It worked as a mobile hotspot.

Advertisement