Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone use in States

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭wiz569

you sure you didnt just see it in the post directly above yours :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Just back from the states with the Three 12GB Sim - best I got was H or H+, 3G occasionally flashed up but was gone as quickly, as mentioned above it's different over there so you most likely won't get 4G.

Worked great for Whatsapp and Google Maps, used it for a week but my balance is still saying I've 12GB left for some reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

pm1977x wrote: »
    Just back from the states with the Three 12GB Sim - best I got was H or H+, 3G occasionally flashed up but was gone as quickly, as mentioned above it's different over there so you most likely won't get 4G.

Worked great for Whatsapp and Google Maps, used it for a week but my balance is still saying I've 12GB left for some reason?

Did you register it here before you left? No add-ons required?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Duff wrote: »
    Did you register it here before you left? No add-ons required?

Yeah, registered here and no add-ons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

pm1977x wrote: »
    Yeah, registered here and no add-ons.

Perfect, cheers. It'll suit me grand as I'll just need it for Whatsapp and ubers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

My phone is locked to 3 here so will the uk sim work? Heading to the states in two weeks so it'll be real handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭shanec1928

jimbis wrote: »
    My phone is locked to 3 here so will the uk sim work? Heading to the states in two weeks so it'll be real handy.
    No girlfriends phone was locked to three Ireland and the uk sim wouldn't work when we were over last.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I was in the states for 12 days, and my sim card didn't arrive till the day after I left. I am on Vodafone and just used red roaming 3e a day while I was over there. I didn't watch videos on it - and I cached google maps on wifi, but other than that I used as I would at home and managed to stay under the 200MB a day limit. Ended up costing me 36e, which wasn't bad at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,927 ✭✭✭dodzy

Just activated the 12gb sim here in Dublin. All good. Tried ringing the uk number and it worked. Odd or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

dodzy wrote: »
    Just activated the 12gb sim here in Dublin. All good. Tried ringing the uk number and it worked. Odd or what?

It's not odd really. It is a real number , you're just not paying for outbound calls or texts but inbound will eixst.

• Advertisement

Berty wrote: »
    It's not odd really. It is a real number , you're just not paying for outbound calls or texts but inbound will eixst.

Well that's sound. 12gb stateside with the ability to receive calls and texts is superb. Then I was thinking that perhaps it was because it automatically detected the 3 IRL network.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

I completely forgot to order the 3 uk sim... am heading to uk on Tuesday for a couple of weeks and I now know I'll only need data.

I've an old s3 I'm going to use as a wifi hotspot. Any advice on picking up a sim card for data over there or rushing an online order.

Will need a decent amount of data. .. probably 10gb +

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Access wrote: »
    I completely forgot to order the 3 uk sim... am heading to uk on Tuesday for a couple of weeks and I now know I'll only need data.

I've an old s3 I'm going to use as a wifi hotspot. Any advice on picking up a sim card for data over there or rushing an online order.

Will need a decent amount of data. .. probably 10gb +

Google T-Mobile Tourist Plan - available to purchase in T-mobile stores when you are there.

thebiglad wrote: »
    Google T-Mobile Tourist Plan - available to purchase in T-mobile stores when you are there.

It's for the UK i need it... not the US

Access wrote: »
    It's for the UK i need it... not the US

Just walk into a 3 store and buy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭LeChienMefiant

I assume this works with all three UK data SIM packs? Not just the 12GB?

I assume this works with all three UK data SIM packs? Not just the 12GB?

Three.UK have 60 countries, including US, where you can 'roam like home', bill pay or PAYG.

We have 6.

http://www.three.co.uk/feel-at-home/

Just walk into a 3 store and buy it!

Cheers... didnt know you could do that, thought it had to be ordered online as previous people said.

Just a tip for those going to UK as well, after researching Tesco mobile uk do a free sim (once you buy credit as well) and if you top up by £20 and text "8GB" to 28948 it will take the 20 credit and give you 8gb for 30 days.

Handy if only needing a short amount of data while in UK.

Three.UK have 60 countries, including US, where you can 'roam like home', bill pay or PAYG.

We have 6.

http://www.three.co.uk/feel-at-home/

The one thing that would put me off is:
    Whats not included:
    You can't use your phone as a personal hotspot (tethering) while you're abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭shovel

Lads
    Any of you having problems setting this sim up.I tried and it is working for calls when i ring it but no internet.
    3 UK sent me a text to say i needed to change the access settings on my phone.
    My phone was bought in Argos so definitely unlocked

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,197 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

shovel wrote: »
    Lads
    Any of you having problems setting this sim up.I tried and it is working for calls when i ring it but no internet.
    3 UK sent me a text to say i needed to change the access settings on my phone.
    My phone was bought in Argos so definitely unlocked

You might need to manually change the APN settings...
    http://support.three.co.uk/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBISAPI.DLL?Command=New,Kb=Mobile,Ts=Mobile,T=Article,varset_cat=internetapps,varset_subcat=3582,Case=obj(3586)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

Stupid question time: how does one attain a UK sim from 3 over here? Parcel Motel?

Maybe a bit late, but you can buy the 3UK sims on Amazon. I ordered a couple on Saturday. Paid for priority delivery direct to Ireland (as we're flying tomorrow) and they were delivered on Tuesday morning.

kin9pin wrote: »
    Maybe a bit late, but you can buy the 3UK sims on Amazon. I ordered a couple on Saturday. Paid for priority delivery direct to Ireland (as we're flying tomorrow) and they were delivered on Tuesday morning.
    Mymemory (online) or any 3 store in the UK. Checked Amz weeks ago and seen nothing.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Mr.S wrote: »
    There is way's around that (essentially you need to spoof the device your on to make it seem like it's a mobile) but not worth the hassle for the average user. Google User Agent Switcher + tethering and you'll find a few guides.

I don't get the reason why networks block tether, as long as you stay within your data limit. I mean 12gb (in this case) is 12gb, regardless if you use it via tethering or on a device.

It is very simple - if used only on a mobile device, majority will not consume the limit. If tethered, the average usage goes up a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

Folks, can someone help me...
    I bought one of the 12gb sims and want to put it in to a mifi dongle. I believe I need to register the sim but how to I do this? Do I need to put it in a phone to register but it is a different size sim on my phone...
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,914 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

MaceFace wrote: »
    I bought one of the 12gb sims and want to put it in to a mifi dongle. I believe I need to register the sim but how to I do this? Do I need to put it in a phone to register but it is a different size sim on my phone...
    Thanks

The sim from 3uk is the three different sized sims, push out the size you need, then put it back when you're done (presuming your mifi dongle takes the full sized sim in it.)

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Thanks

You need to register online with 3uk. That's what I did. Flying to the us today so I'm glad to have it. You'll get texts from the network but they're not required to be opened to acquire data points.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Thanks
    you don't . Just stick it into my mifi dongle and I'm using mine abroad atm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Advertisement