Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Has anything genuinely creepy or unnerving ever happened to you?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Zillah wrote: »
    You took pleasure in making a woman feel afraid of you, alone at night, and behaved threateningly to increase her fear.

You're creepy, congratulations. The fact that you didn't attack her doesn't change that.

Agreed. It's scary enough walking around alone after dark, you're not helping matters.

Hope karma finds you.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭pitythefool

We were staying in Whitney Hall in Toronto Canada, one of the lads woke up a few times with the feeling that he was being choked, he got sick of it and asked to move room, he told him what room he was in and they changed him straight away, no one else was allowed to do that all summer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

My kinda creepy news from today is that I went for a walk through a disused graveyard this morning and spotted 4 partially exposed bones in the ground, given the location I am guessing there is a good chance they are human...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

My kinda creepy news from today is that I went for a walk through a disused graveyard this morning and spotted 4 partially exposed bones in the ground, given the location I am guessing there is a good chance they are human...
    Did you report it??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Did you report it??

I let the Parish Priest know, hopefully he will know what to do!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

Take one and walk up to some random person on the street and jump in front of them with your knees bent and one eye closed. Then shout "Iv'e a bone to pick with you!" While saving the bone in front of them. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭whatsername42

Hi - really enjoying this thread!!
    I had a really freaky experience about ten years ago when I moved to the Channel Islands for a few years to work. I rented a small flat which was in the attic of a house. On my second week there, I woke one night to see a dark figure standing over me - I was terrorised but there was a light with a string to pulll right over my bed so I reached up and switched on the light and as soon as my eyes adjusted, it was gone. I realised that due to the bedroom having a sloping roof which sloped right over my bed, this was giving the appearance of a shadow and the impression that someone was standing over me while I slept. I was fine with this explanation as I'm not really a believer in the supernatural or anything.
    Anyway, this same thing happened at least once a week over the space of two years - me waking up, seeing a dark figure standing right over me, panicking in terror and switching on the light over my bed to find nothing there - I actually became used to this and as always assumed it was the image of the sloping roof and my sleepy state that was causing it.
    Not long before I was due to leave the channel islands and return to Ireland, my lease on the flat was up and I took a short lease on another place for a week. This was a basement flat and the landlord lived upstairs. On my fiurst night there, I locked the bedroom door and fell asleep. In the night, I woke to see a dark figure standing at the end of my bed, . Instinctively I reached up but realised that the light to the bedroom in the new flat was near the door at the other end of the room and no matter how much my eyes adjusted to the darkness, the figure was still there. I screamed and it began to move slowly towards me. I was convinced that the landlord had somehow managed to get into my bedroom. I jumped out the opposite side of the bed, screaming and crying and dropped on all fours and made my way towards the door begging him not to come any closer. All the while, he styood there, a dark shape...looking at me. I couldn't make out his face - just a dark outline.
    I finally reached the door and fumbled for the light switch and switched it on - the figure was not there. The bedroom door was still locked from the inside. And I swear to God, I saw it right up to when I switched on the light.
    Needless to say, I stayed awake the rest of that night with the light on and moved into a hotel the following day.
    I've never had that experience since I came back to Ireland yet it carried on for two years while I was away....
    Was I haunted? Still gives me chills thinking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Irranek

When I was a kid my grandfather lived with us and we were great pals. One November night all of his children were called to see him as he was very ill. This meant they brought their own kids and so we kids stayed downstairs to play. As part of the games I went to hide behind the dining room curtains. It was night time and when I looked outside there was a white female figure hovering over the lawn. It had a skeletal face and arms and wild hair and seemed to be moaning or crying (I didn't hear it). It frightened the sh*te out of me so I legged it out of the room and upstairs to my Grandad's room as that's where all the adults were. I burst in to find them gathered around his bed praying and he was taking his last few rasping breaths. Up to this point I had no idea he was dying. He died about 5 minutes later. What was that "thing" in the garden??!?! Was it connected or just the invention of a child's mind?

When I was younger I saw the outline of my granny (she used to sit in a particular chair, kind of hunched over) a few months after her death. I also saw my grandad's outline a few times. I had a couple of very strong feelings of foreboding before other family members died but haven't had such experiences since I've become an adult. Maybe there's something in this idea that kids pick things up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,641 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Irranek wrote: »
    When I was a kid my grandfather lived with us and we were great pals. One November night all of his children were called to see him as he was very ill. This meant they brought their own kids and so we kids stayed downstairs to play. As part of the games I went to hide behind the dining room curtains. It was night time and when I looked outside there was a white female figure hovering over the lawn. It had a skeletal face and arms and wild hair and seemed to be moaning or crying (I didn't hear it). It frightened the sh*te out of me so I legged it out of the room and upstairs to my Grandad's room as that's where all the adults were. I burst in to find them gathered around his bed praying and he was taking his last few rasping breaths. Up to this point I had no idea he was dying. He died about 5 minutes later. What was that "thing" in the garden??!?! Was it connected or just the invention of a child's mind?

When I was younger I saw the outline of my granny (she used to sit in a particular chair, kind of hunched over) a few months after her death. I also saw my grandad's outline a few times. I had a couple of very strong feelings of foreboding before other family members died but haven't had such experiences since I've become an adult. Maybe there's something in this idea that kids pick things up.

It sounds like you might have sighted the banshee that warns of an oncoming death in the family.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Irranek

Yeah, that did cross my mind. I read that she haunts families with surnames starting with Mc or O and my grandad was a Mc. Hope to never, ever see the likes of it again!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭ronjo

I have 2 stories.

One is a bit long so bear with me.
    It was about 20 years ago and a few friends of mine and I decided to make a home made ouija board which I think involved cutting out 26 pieces of paper with the letters of the alphabet and 4 more with Hello, Goodbye, yes and no I think.
    There was 5 of us but only 3 would do it and we did the usual "Is anyone there?" After a while the glass moved to yes. To this day everyone still swears they didnt move it but we got freaked immediately (why we were doing it since we panicked so quickly I will never know).

Someone turned the glass back up and but all the paper in it and lit it to burn the paper. It totally flared up and actually left scorch marks on the ceiling.
    I then ran to the kitchen and grabbed a wet tea towel and put it on the flames which put it out.

Then we ran outside with the glass to smash it (which in our minds would kill the connection) and my friend threw it up in the air and it just bounced on the concrete road. I threw it against a wall and it eventually smashed.

Now all of this could have been stupid coincidences but I have never ever been so scared as I was going home approx 250m on my own. One of the other guys lived about 3 miles away and refused to go home and stayed the night in our mates house.

Second one was 8 years ago and I was living on my own in a very old flat in the centre of Bratislava. I was only living in the flat about 2 months but the lights in the living room used to turn on every so often at random times in the night. Maybe it was on some sort of timer but I used to talk to the "ghost" to try and befriend it just in case..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Radio station were talking about ghost stories/afterlife a few years ago.

One woman called in with her story.

Herself and the husband were talking about the afterlife and the husband said to her "When I die,I will mess with the TV to let you know Im still around".

Que a few years later and the husband dies sudden.A few months later the woman was going to bed and presses button to turn off TV,then the TV switches back on of its own accord.It started going haywire.I think she said it was fairly new and nothing happened before or after that night.

She said she knew it was him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 92 ✭✭missyb

livinsane wrote: »
    I posted this in the "flasher" thread the other day but sure here goes. It's not supernatural but creepy all the same.

I was walking home from Cork City to Bishopstown on a Monday night about 12am. I had been at a friend's house watching a dvd, it was a nice night and I had runners on so was looking forward to a nice walk. It's a lit up walk, and generally good few vehicles and people around.

I was walking out Western Road, there were a few people around passing against me. A guy passed me out from behind and walked on, turning down the passage way that leads to the Mardyke Arena area. I noted that he was small enough, black jacket and black trousers.

As I walked past the entrance to the alley, I looked into it and saw him a few feet away facing a tree and furiously **** with a really angry expression on his face, shouting "look at it, look at my cock". I got a fright but just thought "perv", told him to fck off and crossed the street. He shouted "I'll kill you, you bitch" after me. He was foreign, Eastern European sounding.

Now it gets freaky. The whole footpath across the road was dug up and blocked off, so I had to cross back unless I wanted to walk on the road with my back to the traffic. Crossed back diagonally, trying to get ahead as quickly as possible. I kept looking back and could see he had run from the alley out into the main street and was slowly coming after me, still exposed and still with this awful expression on his face. Now there are houses all along that stretch of road with gated entrances and he was slipping in and out of them, trying to stay half concealed. I looked around and there was not another soul on the street, not even a car on the road. Just silence. It was like there was nothing on the earth only him and me. Stubbornly, I would not run, would not scream, I did not want to give him the satisfaction of frightening me. My heart was thumping out of my chest though.

I walked on and kept looking back and forward. I looked back again and he had gone. Stood there for a while, scanning the whole area to make sure that he wasn't hiding anywhere, walked back onto the road to get a better look and was positive that he was gone...somewhere. Kept walking and then it occurred to me that if he slipped down the back road past the Mardyke, he could meet me at the end of the road. So I stood where I was and thank fck the next car to come was a taxi, which I hailed and got home.

To my embarrassment, I never actually reported it to the Gardaí. I was so relieved to get home, that a few weeks actually passed before the thought ever occurred to me. I haven't heard any similar stories thankfully.

That story is scarier than mine but it sent a shiver down my spine because of a similar thing that happened to me. I had gotten off at a bus stop about 10 mins from where I lived at the time, it was night time about 11pm but the street was well lit up. As I was walking I noticed a young man walk past me and turn the corner I paid no heed. A couple of minutes later I heard someone running up behind me as I was walking along a narrow residential street ,I dont know if it was instincts or fear but I threw my back against a wall. It was the same guy that had just passed me, he stopped and said "will you come with me ", I said simply, "no I wont". It was quite obvious to him that I was scared and he didnt flinch an inch. I then saw a woman walking along the street towards us, I shouted at her "can I walk with you?" she immediately started walking towards me and he immediatley sprinted off. I am very grateful to her as she could have easily ignored me. This year when Jill Meagher was sadly murdered, I saw the CCTV footage of her last captured moments on the news. I am not in anyway comparing what happened to me to her tragic case, but I got such a horrible feeling when the footage showed her attacker initially walking past the wedding shop where the CCTV camera was and then doubling back again, it clearly looks like he made the decision to go back and meet Jill. That guy did the same to me, he passed me on the street and then at some point decided he was going to run back and catch up with me.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Back in 2002, had a dream about 9/11, woke up looked at the clock radio and lo and behold it was 09:11, true story

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

ronjo wrote: »
    There was 5 of us but only 3 would do it and we did the usual "Is anyone there?" After a while the glass moved to yes. To this day everyone still swears they didnt move it but we got freaked immediately (why we were doing it since we panicked so quickly I will never know).
    They're telling the truth. They didn't consciously move it. It's called the Ideometer effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭ronjo

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    They're telling the truth. They didn't consciously move it. It's called the Ideometer effect.

Quite possibly......... Not sure why there was such a big flame (maybe some alcohol on the paper?) or why the glass didnt smash though.
    We were all totally freaked out and I never tried it again..

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭ItsNoAlias

Off topic but funny, I remember a story my nephew came home with from school a few years ago. He was very small and in primary school and out on his lunch.It was one of the "kidnappers in a van are out to get you" scares. A girl from another class was being picked upby her father and was kicking up a stink, roaring crying and screaming her head off. One of the kids screams "Its the kidnapper!" and literally every child in the school yard starts booting it towards this poor guy, throwing stones (bricks really as the area was being "done up" at the time) yelling at him etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

At my brothers (22) wake last year we all stood outside our home waiting on the herse with my brother in it.
    Our dog Charlie waited with us. My brother loved Charlie and vice versa. He'd let him sleep in his bedroom.

When the herse pulled up and stopped, Charlie ran over to it, crying and whining like nothing I'd ever heard him do before. We all stood in shock with not only our grief at this sudden death but also at the dogs reaction to the herse. You see he is the most docile, laid back bichon you'd ever meet. Never pays attention to cars but on this occasion it was that he knew exactly who was in the car as he tried to hop up on it and this only ended when a cousin went over to take him away. He literally had been overcome with emotion :(

lukesmom wrote: »
    At my brothers (22) wake last year we all stood outside our home waiting on the herse with my brother in it.
    Our dog Charlie waited with us. My brother loved Charlie and vice versa. He'd let him sleep in his bedroom.

When the herse pulled up and stopped, Charlie ran over to it, crying and whining like nothing I'd ever heard him do before. We all stood in shock with not only our grief at this sudden death but also at the dogs reaction to the herse. You see he is the most docile, laid back bichon you'd ever meet. Never pays attention to cars but on this occasion it was that he knew exactly who was in the car as he tried to hop up on it and this only ended when a cousin went over to take him away. He literally had been overcome with emotion :(

I am very sorry to here about your bother. But dogs are like that, very intelligent animals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

I've had a few spiritual experiences happen to me which were very powerful and had a lasting effect but people rarely believe me.Some ppl might call this story creepy.
    I was about 16 yrs old in my room very upset at something.I prayed for some peace,any relief,to come to me as i was feeling guilty for something that i wrongly thought was my fault and i was crying floods of tears.As i prayed a strong sense of tiredness came over me and in about a minute i drifted off to sleep even though i had been wide awake before that and had'nt felt tired.I had just looked at my watch before i started to "nod off" and it was 10.28pm.I woke with an incredible sense of peace and refreshment what seemed like hours later but actually only 2 mins had passed.I had looked at my watch again and i was very surprised to see that it was 10.30pm,that only 2mins had passed as i this unreal refreshment in me and a calmness and joy that ive never had since.The feeling of guilt and upset was gone in literally 2 mins and replaced by the extreme opposite.It was like i was floating when i was walking down the stairs to tell my mum what had happened.She seen the look on my face of a beaming smile and a gleemh and she was smiling by what i told her.Thats the summary of the event.As i said you can choose to believe it or not,i know it happened to me and i just tell ppl what happened.If they dont think its true then fair enough,thats their decision so i dont bother tryingto convince people about it.

I can identify with the stories of people in cars trying to offer kids lifts.My friends and i when we were about 10 were playing soccer and this man pulled up and asked did we want some sweets.One of my friends went towards the car and we shouted at him to come back.We looked at the guy in the car and he had his pants down and his hand between his legs inside his boxers.We all ran and our parents came out but he sped away before we got a reg number.That was one of several incidences like that to happen in that area in the months that followed,not sure was the sicko ever caught.Still creeps me out though and makes me shiver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

livinsane wrote: »
    I posted this in the "flasher" thread the other day but sure here goes. It's not supernatural but creepy all the same.

I was walking home from Cork City to Bishopstown on a Monday night about 12am. I had been at a friend's house watching a dvd, it was a nice night and I had runners on so was looking forward to a nice walk. It's a lit up walk, and generally good few vehicles and people around.

I was walking out Western Road, there were a few people around passing against me. A guy passed me out from behind and walked on, turning down the passage way that leads to the Mardyke Arena area. I noted that he was small enough, black jacket and black trousers.

As I walked past the entrance to the alley, I looked into it and saw him a few feet away facing a tree and furiously **** with a really angry expression on his face, shouting "look at it, look at my cock". I got a fright but just thought "perv", told him to fck off and crossed the street. He shouted "I'll kill you, you bitch" after me. He was foreign, Eastern European sounding.

Now it gets freaky. The whole footpath across the road was dug up and blocked off, so I had to cross back unless I wanted to walk on the road with my back to the traffic. Crossed back diagonally, trying to get ahead as quickly as possible. I kept looking back and could see he had run from the alley out into the main street and was slowly coming after me, still exposed and still with this awful expression on his face. Now there are houses all along that stretch of road with gated entrances and he was slipping in and out of them, trying to stay half concealed. I looked around and there was not another soul on the street, not even a car on the road. Just silence. It was like there was nothing on the earth only him and me. Stubbornly, I would not run, would not scream, I did not want to give him the satisfaction of frightening me. My heart was thumping out of my chest though.

I walked on and kept looking back and forward. I looked back again and he had gone. Stood there for a while, scanning the whole area to make sure that he wasn't hiding anywhere, walked back onto the road to get a better look and was positive that he was gone...somewhere. Kept walking and then it occurred to me that if he slipped down the back road past the Mardyke, he could meet me at the end of the road. So I stood where I was and thank fck the next car to come was a taxi, which I hailed and got home.

To my embarrassment, I never actually reported it to the Gardaí. I was so relieved to get home, that a few weeks actually passed before the thought ever occurred to me. I haven't heard any similar stories thankfully.

You should have reported that.

I took a forensic psychology class a couple of years ago and the woman teaching it worked with the gardai in dealing with sex offenders. She told us a story of a guy who had a history of flashing who attempted to grab a young woman. She thankfully escaped but when the gardai apprehended him they found he had a sports bag filled with rope, condoms , vaseline and knives. The psychology teacher told us that even though flashers may seem harmless they should be reported as they sometimes go on to commit more serious sexual offences.

The guy in your story sounds particularly aggressive which is worrying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Zillah wrote: »
    You took pleasure in making a woman feel afraid of you, alone at night, and behaved threateningly to increase her fear.

You're creepy, congratulations. The fact that you didn't attack her doesn't change that.

She sped up, I sped up. I don't look even a little rapey!

I have to admit I was once walking after a girl in suburbia at night. Once she realised I was following her (not intentionally I must add :P ) I sped up as well until I had to take a turn. I got a giggle out of it but not really a nice thing to do...

About a month ago I was walking in the dark to my friends apartment and there was a creepy little man walking behind me so close he was almost on top of me. I was sure I was about to be attacked and was terrified. Not a soul in sight until my friend came out to meet me at the gate of the complex. She popped her head out, much to my relief and said wtf???? Who is he? And he walked on. It was extremely creepy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Ohhhh, story I heard. Two lads coming down the road to Shankill near Kiltiernan one dark winter night. As they were driving they looked and seen this 8 foot women walking theatrically down the road, think she was a white figure but can't remember. Neither of them said anything until they turned and looked at each other in disbelief, both had seen this figure. They described the walk as being near comical, taking huge strides and very talk. We ended up walking home from a gaff one night and walked the road, was kinda hoping we'd see something but all we got was 3 pikeys which was scary in itself. They sped off but ended up coming back, we were all armed with weapons ready to defend ourselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

lukesmom wrote: »
    About a month ago I was walking in the dark to my friends apartment and there was a creepy little man walking behind me so close he was almost on top of me. I was sure I was about to be attacked and was terrified. Not a soul in sight until my friend came out to meet me at the gate of the complex. She popped her head out, much to my relief and said wtf???? Who is he? And he walked on. It was extremely creepy

You should have crossed the road/walked into any house with a light on and knocked on the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Larkin00

Absolutley lovin' this thread!

I'm checking back every hour or so to see if anything new has been posted :)

I'm not much of a believer in the supernatural and all that but I find the creepy near abduction stories very interesting.

Anyway this is a story my grandmother told me about when she was growing up in Limerick in maybe the 50's or 60's
    She was working in a hotel as a cook not far from the family home. She would have been around 16-19 at this time. Anyway she was making the short journey from the hotel back to her home as she had made 100's of times before, 20 mins tops. It was a fairly rural area in the 50's or 60's so it was pitch dark, only the odd light from a house. As she was walking she heard someone run up behind her, he grabbed her and held his hand over her mouth so as she couldn't scream and he kept repeating to her "I have you now, I have you now". Suddenly a car pulled into an entrance not to far ahead and the headlights frightened him off. The weird thing is, this was a small rural community in Limerick and in those days cars were not as common as nowadays as we know, one might pass through the area every week or so. Also being a small community everyone knew everyone and very few outsiders would ever be seen, especially at that time of night.

It might just be coincidental that the car pulled in, but at that time of night? And nobody in the area owned a car.

None the less it's a frightening enough story considering the time and place. Fortunately she lives on tell the tale :)

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Moll'll fix it

My mother has passed away now but when she was going to school during the 1930s, she used to walk home along with some other children. One day she was dallying behind the others when a man on a bicycle pulled up beside her and asked her if she would like some sweets. They were standing on a bridge over a dried-up river at this stage and he told her if she wanted the sweets she could have to come down under the bridge with him, which she did. When they went down, he began removing her underwear when suddenly a local farmer working in a field nearby thought that this didn't look right, came over and ran him out of the place, comforted my mother and told her to run along home while he watched that she got to her house safely.
    And who was the paedophile? It was the school inspector. He had been at their school that day and was making his way to another town to stay the night and visit another school the next day. My mother never told her parents, as her father had a short fuse and would probably have gone after him and killed him. And god knows how many children, before and after that event, whose lives were ruined because of this man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,256 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Well this was just a unnerving..... Was in college and living in digs on campus. One night I decided to stay in but offered to give the others a lift to the pub. On the way home I had a cigarette and the top fell off it and I was stamping around to put it out but appeared all fine. I parked up in the college car park and headed in to bed. All night i lay awake with this stupid thought that after I left my car would go up in flames and that the cars on either side of mine would be destroyed because of me. Irrational I know. I imagined that an announcement came over the colleges intercom thingy asking the owners of the cars, including me, to attend he scene of the fire.... Ridiculous!

Anyways the next morning I was getting dressed and over the intercom thingy came the caretaker reading out the reg plates of about 6 cars in the car park and could the owners report to his office. My car was one of them. My heart EXPLODED! I ran all the way there. Turns out all of the cars called out were broken into overnight. Never was I soooo relieved to have my car broken into (knew there was nowt in it anyways) I just thought it was pretty freaky!!!

THis story came back to me after reading this one. Don't know whether it's suitable for the thread but it's kinda like this one:

So, back when I was in my late teens, we used to go to a nightclub in Dublin where all the cool cats hung out (that's why I hung out there :cool: )

Anyway, I was a young looking chap so I had to always bring ID. One Friday night we were in said nightclub and i'd brought my passport with me as ID.

When I got home I realised that I had lost my passport! Rats!

Anyway, the next night I returned to the same nightclub for a friend's birthday and explained to the doorstaff that the reason I had no ID was because i'd lost my passport on the premises. They decided in the end to let me in. First thing I did (after getting a pint) was ask management had my passport turned up. He said he didn't know, but if it turned up they'd try get it back to me.

So, later that night an announcement comes over the PA. Let's imagine for a second my real mane is John Jackson:

"Could a 'John Jackson' please come to the DJ box, we have found your Passport"

Excellent, though me, Mr.John Jackson!

So I go to the DJ box in this dark nightclub, the DJ says "Are you John Jackson?"

-"I sure am"

"and what's your DOB?"

-"It's xx/xx/xx

and he gives me the passport.

I stick it in my jacket pocket so i don't lose it again and continue with my night!

When I wake up the next day I take it out and check to see if there's any damage. I check the name, it's my name.

I check the DOB, it's my DOB.

Then I check out the picture........... it's not me! Some ginger dude who looks NOTHING like me.

I returned to the nightclub and explained and it turned out the exact same thing had happened to the other John Jackson and he had returned mine that same day.

Weird huh?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

A couple of years ago, a man stopped his car beside me and asked me if I would come in his car for some sweets, I told I'd come in his mouth if he came me the packet :D
    True story...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

Yes, I just died!

Doom wrote: »
    A couple of years ago, a man stopped his car beside me and asked me if I would come in his car for some sweets, I told I'd come in his mouth if he came me the packet :D
    True story...

That kinda happened to me. One day I was outside playing football and a car pulled up and the driver said "here is some sweets for you" I ignored him and he said "Do you want sweets?" I waked down to the car and he then handed me sweets and drove away. :confused:

One more.
    A neighbor was in at our house when my sister was born, she was sitting at the table with my parent talking and I opened the dishwasher to get a mug and a heap of steam flue out of it, as it wasn't finished the cycle yet. She then let out the greatest scream like if she seen a murder take place. But she thought the dishwasher was on fire as she didn't own a dishwasher. I was very funny.. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

This thread had everyone in Motors baffled 3 years ago, and remains unsolved to this day:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055671918

A funny read too. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

Now that it's winter I usually get home when it's pitch dark out and I find it kind of unnerving. In particular when I get off Nitelink and am walking to my house I get a bit anxious, and I've often wondered what I would do if I was being followed.

Once when I got off the bus, the last bus home, a man who was probably in his late 50s got off the bus aswell and I just felt uneasy about him, so when I got off the bus I stopped and checked my phone to give him time to walk ahead of me (often wondered, is it best to let someone you're unsure of walk ahead of or behind you?). Clearly he noticed what I did, because about 5 minutes later he slowed down to walk beside me and asked me the time. I said I didn't know and picked up the pace and started walking very quickly, all the while he was shouting "ARE YA SCARED OF ME? ARE YA SCARED?" in a menacing way. When I got home it turned out the other people in my house had heard him yelling, he was that loud, but obviously didn't know it was to me. Not as terrifying as some of the other stories here, but it freaked me out.
    You should have crossed the road/walked into any house with a light on and knocked on the door.

The advice that's given is knock on the door of the nearest house with a light on but how many people would actually do this? When it's late at night I rush to get home, I'd likely be too embarrassed/worried it would be a false alarm and I'd look ridiculous if I did go to someone's house. Also, it's unlikely that they'd answer. I've heard of people doing this before and their knocks being ignored, or screaming "help" and neighbours ignoring it because they don't want to get involved. Of course, this could just be because of the area I'm from. Basically, has anyone ever done this when they've been worried and actually found that it worked?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

This thread had everyone in Motors baffled 3 years ago, and remains unsolved to this day:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055671918

A funny read too. :)
    There was a great moment on motors where a poster asked how much it would cost to get a problem fixed. Gave no mention of make or model and didn't know exactly was wrong. Anyway, someone sarcastically responded €53.
    The OP wrote a few days later that he went to a mechanic and found that 2 suspension springs needed replaced and were €26.50 each.

I've changed a few details. Ill dig out the original thread when im on a computer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,641 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

This thread is over a week old now and is still going strong, this should now make the status of a legendary thread. Thank you Dr Gonzo you have created a thread here that is involving everyone and everyone has a tale to tell. I keep remembering little bits and pieces myself so will contribute more when I will remember them.

Just something else to add, was looking at this a while ago, footage from a car of the Tsunami in Tokyo. Everything looks quite normal at first, what looks like it might be windy weather. Then off in the distance, what looks like traffic, you realise its traffic being carried by water. Then right under the camera the water appears and its ffffccccuuuuuuuk!

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

Basically, has anyone ever done this when they've been worried and actually found that it worked?

Yep, I did once.
    (Posted the story previously here)

Basically, myself & a friend got attacked by a big group of ruffians, during broad daylight, out on Dollymount beach.
    They were chasing us for a while and we had the option of trying to run the entire length of the wooden bridge to some shops, or run to one of the couple of houses on the island.

We ran to a house, the scumbags walked on, although kept looking back, probably to see if anyone had answered the door.
    A lovely couple brought us in, let us use their phone (scumbags had knocked my mobile out of my hand) gave us tea & biscuits and we watched a documentary about polar bears!

We came back a few hours later with two bottles of wine for them to thank them for helping us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

I was in bed one night and couldn't sleep so I pulled out the phone and watched an episode of Derren Brown on 4OD. I remember just as something 'frightening' was meant to happen a fucking moth decides to land on the screen. I swear I jumped out of bed in one movement, turned on the light and beat that moth to death with a slipper.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

This thread is over a week old now and is still going strong, this should now make the status of a legendary thread. Thank you Dr Gonzo you have created a thread here that is involving everyone and everyone has a tale to tell. I keep remembering little bits and pieces myself so will contribute more when I will remember them.

Just something else to add, was looking at this a while ago, footage from a car of the Tsunami in Tokyo. Everything look quite normal at first, what looks like it might be windy weather. Then off in the distance, what looks like traffic, you realise its traffic being carried by water. Then right under the camera the water appears and its ffffccccuuuuuuuk!
    Why does he keep the windscreen wipers on when his car is being carried away by a flood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Why does he keep the windscreen wipers on when his car is being carried away by a flood.

Why would he turn the windscreen wipers off when he is being carried away by a flood?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

face1990 wrote: »
    ... We came back a few hours later with two bottles of wine for them to thank them for helping us.
    And that's when the real trouble started.

Grabbing the wine and locking the door behind us, they pushed us down rickety steps into a dark, dingy cellar, where strange snuffling and grunting sounds emanated from a barred grille in a door on the opposite wall ...

Choking, sulphurous fumes rose from the uneven floor of the basement and to my horror I realised the dull gleams of what I thought were pieces of firewood were in fact reflections on the white bones of multiple human skeletons scattered randomly about the basement. As I walked unsteadily towards the door opposite, the smell did its utmost to choke and blind me and the sucking, damp masses on the floor seemed to drag my feet ever downwards into unspeakable horror...

"Ye'll have another cuppa tea now won't ye", said Mrs Doyle. "Ah go on, go on, go, ye will, ye will, ye will."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

mathepac wrote: »
    And that's when the real trouble started.

Grabbing the wine and locking the door behind us, they pushed us down rickety steps into a dark, dingy cellar, where strange snuffling and grunting sounds emanated from a barred grille in a door on the opposite wall ...

Choking, sulphurous fumes rose from the uneven floor of the basement and to my horror I realised the dull gleams of what I thought were pieces of firewood were in fact reflections on the white bones of multiple human skeletons scattered randomly about the basement. As I walked unsteadily towards the door opposite, the smell did its utmost to choke and blind me and the sucking, damp masses on the floor seemed to drag my feet ever downwards into unspeakable horror...

"Ye'll have another cuppa tea now won't ye", said Mrs Doyle. "Ah go on, go on, go, ye will, ye will, ye will."
    That's really good, keep going!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭Glenn Coco

About a year ago, I went to the shop about a 5 minute walk down the road. I've lived in the area about 7 years. Anyway, on the way back from the shop, I stopped suddenly in my tracks. I had no idea where I was, and couldn't recognise my surroundings. I started to panic. I looked all around, and tried to pick a spot that I could recognise. Nothing made sense, and I eventually face the direction I had initially been going, and ran. Got to my house, and in the door, everything was fine.
    It has happened to me twice since, in what seems to be the same spot, and I've genuinely no idea why. Same reaction every time, panic, run, get home and I'm fine.
    I'd love to know if anyone has any insights, aside from it just being me going mad...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,669 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I grew up in a country area and was always exploring as a kid.
    One day I came across this old vault on what was a Landlords land in the 19th century.
    I was small enough to get inside the vault and there was a coffin with a skeleton in it.
    It gave me a fair aul fright and I bolted out of it as fast as I could.
    Turns out it was the Landlords agent who was murdered by some of the tenents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Some really creppy stories on here, good stuff. A bit frightening to realise how many close shaves people have had.

Here's my own one. I live in pretty much the middle of nowhere. Had got a bus back from the nearest nightclub, but it still only dropped me off in the nearest village. I still had a mile or so to walk home. So I'm walking up one of the hills, past a house that plenty of people around say is haunted, no one has lived in it for too long at a time. As I pass the house, I hear a huge banging from the shed next to it. I convince myself there must be a rational explanation, and keep on walking (being quite drunk helped in this case).

I still feel a bit nervous, so I look behind me and see this dark figure illuminated by he moonlight coming up the road behind me. I panic, start to jog a little, looking behind me every few seconds and this shape is still following me. I turn off onto the road to my house, which is darker, it seemed like I could still see the shape but I wasn't so sure. So of course i leg it up the hill, into my house, lock all the doors and go straight to bed. Took me a while to get to sleep though!

A couple of days later I'm talking to some of the lads who live near me. It turns out one of the drunks in our village had taken to sleep in that shed rather than walking all the way home. He's harmless so it was a huge relief to me, but at the time I could've killed him for giving me a fright like that.

When I was about 5 years old I woke up at the end of my bed, kneeling with my hands in the prayer position in the dark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Was working in Dublin a good few years ago during college and living out in Santry.

Had a long ass commute every day on the No.41 bus (iirc) -the bus stop was reasonably near the house, it was a few phases back in a fairly large housing estate, prob a 8-10 minute walk. There would always be a few getting off at that stop but never spoke to anyone and generally would wander off home with my headphones on.

Anyway one evening, I was about half-way back to the gaff when I became aware of someone over my shoulder. Glanced back and there was a young-ish goth teenage girl about 3 yards behind me (mildly freaky looking - a bit like a grown up version of the girl from 'The Ring') - she stopped when I looked at her but didn't say anything.

I picked up the speed a bit assuming that she would go her own way but she kept pace with me the whole way. Was wondering wtf was she up to so stopped altogether and pretended to tie my shoelace.....glanced back and she was also pretend tying her laces :eek: (In hindsight, I should have probably said something to her at this point but was starting to get the heebee-jeebees a bit)

Wasn't far from the house at that stage but starting to get a bit unnerved and wanted to shake her off so went on a completely unnecessary lap of the large green near the house and even did some double-backs and loops....the 3-5 yard gap was maintained at all times.

Decided to leg it to the door - got my key ready in my hand and sprinted for home. Burst through the door and locked it asap - ran upstairs to look out the bedroom window and there she was standing at the end of the driveway, staring at the front door. Watched her for a couple of minutes and she didn't move a muscle....I'll admit to being fairly spooked by now, went back downstairs again (to double check the door was locked and bolted) - had a peek through the hall window..no sign of her. Went into the sitting room to close the curtains and she was still standing outside on the path (a few feet from her original position) staring into the house.

My flat mate arrived a few minutes later - nearly shat my pants when I heard someone at the door but was never so glad to see him. No sign of the girl outside but remember nervously peeking through the curtains for the rest of the evening.

Never saw her after that evening but was as paranoid as bejaysus for a few weeks after

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Bartyman

My old man told me a story about when he came to Dublin back in the forties, he worked on the buildings and often went for a few pints after work.
    One evening they had a few too many, him and another couple of lads were walking down by the canal on the way home, one of them had to cross at one of the locks, so he crossed over and they headed towards the bus stop.

They heard a splash and went back to see if the lad had fallen in, but when they got there, it was pitch dark and they could see nothing, but thought they seen him walking away down the street.

They got the bus and as the bus stopped in traffic along the canal, there was a tap on the window and it was the other lad, he just gave them a thumbs up and continued on.

When the bus moved, they just realised they were on the top deck of the bus and no way could the chap have tapped on the window.
    He had fallen into the canal and drowned !!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

When I was a teenager we had a stuffed fox on a log in the attic. It was a converted attic with a stairs that was right outside my bedroom door. One day as I was going in to get something from my desk I heard this noise coming from the attic. An inhuman noise, sort of like something was lurking and breathing heavily. I was terrified, but I grabbed a glass bottle from my windowsill and crept up the stairs into the attic. When I got to the top, I looked over the partition, and there in the corner was my idiot dog, Buttons, shagging the stuffed fox. I nearly fell back down the steps laughing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I remember as a young lad I woke up one morning, headed into the bathroom, stepped over the hammer, sat down on the loo and wondered what was a hammer doing on the bathroom floor.

Went downstairs to discover that we'd been burgled...

• Advertisement
Advertisement