Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Agreed with unkel. That's a horribly overpriced quote. Also, from a non-battery 2.5 kW system you will be lucky to get 1500kWh for use. In Ireland 1000 kWh annually per kW installed is a reasonable estimate. So your system won't be generating any more than 2500kWh. And you won't use it all as you be able to synchrinise use and production perfectly. So you will end up exporting at least 1000kWh to the grid.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭gomamochi1

unkel wrote: »
    Don't get an iBoost on a system that small. It will not even have paid for itself by the time it is end of life. So it will cost you money, not save you money. And that is not even taking into account the possibility that we might get a feed in tariff.

And sorry but your calculations are flawd because the presumptions are far too optimistic. If you got a 2.5kwp system without iBoost for about €6,750, the payback period would be >20 years

Dont think I agree- An Iboost is about 300quid and install ontop... Hot water on tap from april - Nov..no brainer!

• Registered Users Posts: 64,774 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I like your enthusiasm, but if you do the sums, you will find that it will cost you money to install one, not save you money ;)

We've done it several times before on this forum, do a search for it.

Roughly speaking you save 5c per kWh sent to the iBoost. The install costs EUR500 including labour and VAT and parts

This means you will break even after 10,000kWh have been sent to the iBoost (effectively - on a good day still a lot of production will be sent to the grid after the cylinder is hot and full). On a 2.5kwp system, this will take more than 10 years, about the lifespan of the iBoost. And of course this is not taking into consideration the finance or opportunity costs of money (that you have to pay in full up front) or the fact that the iBoost might misfunction or need repairing.

If you can buy the part cheap or second hand, and / or do a DIY install and / or if you have a much larger PV install and / or a very large cylinder, obviously the above calculations can be much more favourable for the iBoost...

unkel wrote: »
    I like your enthusiasm, but if you do the sums, you will find that it will cost you money to install one, not save you money ;)

We've done it several times before on this forum, do a search for it.

Roughly speaking you save 5c per kWh sent to the iBoost. The install costs EUR500 including labour and VAT and parts

This means you will break even after 10,000kWh have been sent to the iBoost (effectively - on a good day still a lot of production will be sent to the grid after the cylinder is hot and full). On a 2.5kwp system, this will take more than 10 years, about the lifespan of the iBoost. And of course this is not taking into consideration the finance or opportunity costs of money (that you have to pay in full up front) or the fact that the iBoost might misfunction or need repairing.

If you can buy the part cheap or second hand, and / or do a DIY install and / or if you have a much larger PV install and / or a very large cylinder, obviously the above calculations can be much more favourable for the iBoost...

Enthusiasm is my middle name since I got into this EV driving and Solar PV. Have a Thermal store- popular up north with pressurised systems with Solar thermal the past 5 years. So plenty of water to heat up with 6 person household etc.
    The FIT is more than likely going to be around the .04c mark so would not be factoring in that in deciding have hot water on demand...Hoping to have a larger solar array in coming years than my current setup and when planning changes..next gov currently in talks..
    also a lot of european conuterparts are talking about boosting solar PV installs as a way to restart the ecomony after the lock down lifts so maybe an option in Ireland also.

If we get a 5c FIT, then 100% of your savings using an iBoost are gone.

Don't get me wrong here, I don't want to p1ss in your cornflakes. I am a big fan of renewables. I've been driving EVs as my main and only family car for years, I have a large solar thermal install and every square meter left over on any of my roofs is covered in PV. My bike is electric as all my bikes have been for years, I build my own batteries and one of my hobbies is to fix broken eBikes and electric scooters :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,063 ✭✭✭championc

@monkeycork I too think you are being over-optimistic. Remember that solar will potentially harvest plenty of sunshine during the daylight hours - the hours that consume your least amount of electricity.

So while you might generate 2000kw or wherever in the year, you may end up exporting a chunk of it. And the answer is not to simply add an iBoost to use that power.

I self installed a 2.7kw system for about €3.5k. I'll save about €500 this year BUT I've nearly 20kw of batteries to store my excess in, and use in the evenings at least, or right through to sunrise the following day on good days.

There's no big mystery to self installs. The most difficult might be to get a roofer to fix the roof brackets, but inverters have basically 5 connections - a + and - from the panels and then your AC mains Live and Negative into an RCBO. You'll then likely need to connect a CT Clamp around the incoming main cable to monitor incoming grid power.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭holdfast

I have a 3kW system, which is doing great now and 90% is been consumed as the family are home full time with covid. To be fair this wont be the case next year only for a few months of the summer. I am thinking either to add maybe 2kw of battery or wait out and see if the green get the payment for mirco generation up and running. Any views on either option ?

holdfast wrote: »
    I have a 3kW system, which is doing great now and 90% is been consumed as the family are home full time with covid. To be fair this wont be the case next year only for a few months of the summer. I am thinking either to add maybe 2kw of battery or wait out and see if the green get the payment for mirco generation up and running. Any views on either option ?

It's very simple really. 2kw is worth about 30c. Discharge this once per day saves 109.50 per year, so in 10 years you'll save €1,095 (at best, but it won't get recharged every day).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭holdfast

You are right and most likely I will only charge the batteries for six months of the year. So you can cut that in half, I cant remember the cost of batteries. But I think it was in around 500 euro per kW, but I would need to look at this certainly for 4 months of the year.

At the time I put it in (2019) was willing to wait to see what would happen with micro-generation. To be fair getting this year out of it is bonus where if I am lucky I will consume about 90% of the power produced. Fingers crossed the mirco generation will get rolled out soon. That should give me a pay back in the region of 4-5years (simple payback)

holdfast wrote: »
    I cant remember the cost of batteries. But I think it was in around 500 euro per kW

That's about the retail price. If you consider that automotive batteries are about USD100 / kWh at pack level (not cell level) cost to the OEM, you realise how much of a rip-off power wall batteries at retail prices still are. The EUR2,400 battery subsidy (a bit less now) helps of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭john__long

Hey all, been lurking for a while & doing homework. Have received two quotes, one from a national provider, one from a local (North West) installer.

National:
    12 Panels at 3.7kWp, 5kW BPE Inverter and 4.8kWh battery, priced at €14k, pre grant.

Local:
    12 Panels at 3.7kWP, 5kW Solis Inverter and PylonTech 4.8 (2 x 2.4 modules)kWh battery, priced at €9.8k, pre grant.

Not included in the above pricing: thinking of going for the MyEnergi hub ecosystem for monitoring. Have read that the Solis monitoring interface is a bit wonky. Contentious also, but likely to go with an Eddi at some point.

The latter is not a bad quote. The Pylontechs have a retail price of about EU950 + VAT each

john__long wrote: »
    Not included in the above pricing: thinking of going for the MyEnergi hub ecosystem for monitoring. Have read that the Solis monitoring interface is a bit wonky. Contentious also, but likely to go with an Eddi at some point.

Having a Hub and even with a Harvi for remote CT Clamps will give you absolutely nothing. You'll need at least either the Eddi or Zappi in order to register any CT Clamps with, in order to be able to define as to what the CT Clamps do, in order for the information to be used by the app.

Mind you, the info from MyEnergi isn't as exact as maybe the data obtained directly from an Inverter.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭john__long

Thanks for the heads up. Yeah, I'd read that there can be some disparity between the figures recorded alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 spr1ngbock1

Hi folks

Just received a quote for €11k including vat but with the grant of €3k removed so €14k inc vat.

13 (350w longi) panel system. 4.55kw with Togo optimisers.
    2.4 kw pylontech battery
    Iboost water diverter
    WiFi system etc.

I’ve dealt with the company before on our heating system and they were excellent but looking at the prices on this thread, seems very expensive. I’m not worried about payback per se, but don’t want to pay over the odds for a system. Also battery seems small for the size of the system?

I’d appreciate any help.

Thanks.

Way over the odds. The optimisers shouldn't add much more than 500 to your quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭B9K9

gomamochi1 wrote: »
    Done best of luck

I would appreciate pm please.

B9K9 wrote: »
    I would appreciate pm please.

Done

championc wrote: »
    Having a Hub and even with a Harvi for remote CT Clamps will give you absolutely nothing. You'll need at least either the Eddi or Zappi in order to register any CT Clamps with, in order to be able to define as to what the CT Clamps do, in order for the information to be used by the app.

Mind you, the info from MyEnergi isn't as exact as maybe the data obtained directly from an Inverter.

I have gone for the wifi dongle for the Solis inverter plus App and also the Myenergie hub which has to be installed this week some time so will be interesting to have both going to see which is better. I maybe handling ye to better understand the data if that's ok? Thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭phester28

Just a review of solar as I am about to receive the ESB new smart meter as part of their upgrade program

I had a quote at the start of the year (only quote to reply)
    * 3-panels mounted on the front (West facing)
    * 4-panels mounted on the back (East facing)

PV Modules: 300 Watts, Mono, Black. 1640mm x 992mm.
    Solis Inverter, 2.5kW, Single phase dual string with Irish
    configuration. To be mounted in the attic.
    Slate roof mounting kit incl. retrofit kit, bracketing, clamps,
    and remaining materials.
    MC4 Connectors, male & female.
    2-Pole DC isolator switch - IP66/67.
    3-Pole AC isolator switch - IP66/67.
    Operation and maintenance manual provided.
    Fully installed and commissioned by a RECI registered
    electrician.

2.1 kW system €4,350 incl. Vat €2,950 after grant

This excludes BER

Has anyone done any better...the slate roof is making getting alternative quotes or comparative quotes difficult.

• Advertisement

phester28 wrote: »
    Just a review of solar as I am about to receive the ESB new smart meter as part of their upgrade program

and remaining materials.
    electrician.

This excludes BER

Has anyone done any better...the slate roof is making getting alternative quotes or comparative quotes difficult.

That's not a terrible quote. You don't have a battery or a hybrid inverter which should reduce costs but you do have the fixed cost of someone going up and installing the panels and the wiring. And the lsate roof.

You use maybe 1300kWh of solar saving you 210 a year for a 14 year payback.

Agree about the quote, but your figures are very optimistic garo. Without a battery, you'd probably use half of the production at the very most, which is about 900kWh at 17c = EUR153 for a 20 year payback (not taking into account financing / opportunity costs or having night rate, but also not taking into account electricity price rises and potential FIT)

When I calculated it a while back it was 18 or so years payback. My guess would be that the quote would have increased a little since it was quoted.

You must also include the BER cost which some people seem to have said have gone up recently.

The smart meter roll out (hopefully) will make the FIT a reality sooner rather than later ....and for zero set up cost...I remember ESB trying to charge for a meter to measure export recently.

The FIT might just make this project feasible. As I envisage the ESB putting multiply tariffs during peak times to "encourage" solar production.

Has anyone had issues with bird poo on panels as we have neighbours who feed the pigeons who poo everywhere including my roof.

Have you only gone with 7 panels because of the current planning limit ? I'd ignore that and install as many as you can. You should ideally get the East and West on two separate strings, into separate inputs on the inverter.

championc wrote: »
    You should ideally get the East and West on two separate strings, into separate inputs on the inverter.

He has. Dual MPPT input Solis
    I remember ESB trying to charge for a meter to measure export recently.

Aye, you had to in the original FIT scheme. About EUR300 or thereabouts. But at least back then you got 19c/kWh pay back. Nice!

Some eejits paid voluntarily to have that import / export meter installed even though they didn't get any FIT :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭py

I've PM'd a few people already but was looking for more leads on installers that work in the South Dublin area. Hoping to get moving on an install soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

and remaining materials.
    electrician.

This excludes BER

Decent quote (particularly for slate roof... make sure they are using flashings). Unless you are space constrained I would increase the number of panels.

I presume you picked 2kWp to stay within the grant funded amount? Since they are alrady onsite with scaffolding etc I would take the opportunity to put up something bigger.. at least 3kWp, the price should not go up significantly and it will give you a better payback... imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭paulbok

gomamochi1 wrote: »
    Done
    Can you send it to me as well please?

paulbok wrote: »
    Can you send it to me as well please?

Done best of luck

• Advertisement

KCross wrote: »
    Decent quote (particularly for slate roof... make sure they are using flashings). Unless you are space constrained I would increase the number of panels.

I presume you picked 2kWp to stay within the grant funded amount? Since they are already onsite with scaffolding etc I would take the opportunity to put up something bigger.. at least 3kWp, the price should not go up significantly and it will give you a better payback... imo.

Its my roof shape. I can only fit (using the 200mm exclusion zone) 4 on onside 3 portrait and one landscape and 3 on the other (west)

I could fit one or two south as well but it complicates a dual string and may not pay for itself

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement