Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,879 ✭✭✭✭unkel

What orientation is the other string going when you upgrade to more panels? If east, then you will never go over the 5kW the inverter can handle. If south, you might want to think the inverter over. That said even in that situation with your largest string west facing, you will rarely go over the 5kW. And the few times that you do, so what?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Says 2x11A with a voltage range of 90-520V. So you could get 5000VA on a single string but the combined output of the two strings cannot be more than 5kW. The inverter will just cut off any excess power above the 5kW.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭gomamochi1

unkel wrote: »
    What orientation is the other string going when you upgrade to more panels? If east, then you will never go over the 5kW the inverter can handle. If south, you might want to think the inverter over. That said even in that situation with your largest string west facing, you will rarely go over the 5kW. And the few times that you do, so what?
    East facing on the House roof. The Garage roof has shading from trees on the East roof. The Current panels 14 s 305w are on the West facing garage roof. Thanks

East west is perfect for self consumption. Any panels on your east facing roof that get any shade at all need an optimizer.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭B9K9

garo wrote: »
    If you can do it cheaply and it works the rest of us would be very interested to hear. Resistance heaters are a rather expensive way of making heat. Are you going for some sort of heat pump? What do you estimate the thermal loss will be from say September to November?

No heat pump planned atm. More panels could be more bang for a buck instead, lower maintenance and complexity. But it's mainly to use up any over production. It's an experiment really, and I might be able to run it for about €1000 that's a smallish speculation.

• Advertisement

At current gas prices that's 25,000 kWh of heating. Your thermal store would have to be doing very well to make that money back in less than 15 years.How much excess electricity would you generate annually? With 4.8 panels I am at 2700kWh but I don't have a diverter or an EV (yet).
    Edit: This looks interesting: https://www.scanhome.ie/research/solarseasonal.php

At current gas prices that's 25,000 kWh of heating. Your thermal store would have to be doing very well to make that money back in less than 15 years.How much excess electricity would you generate annually? With 4.8 panels I am at 2700kWh but I don't have a diverter or an EV (yet).
    Edit: This looks interesting: https://www.scanhome.ie/research/solarseasonal.php

I did read that paper once. I had read about seasonal storage from way back over 30 years ago, when I had load of ideas but rather less money. And solar stuff prices offered poor or nonexistent financial return. Doing that to a good technical standard is bound to cost a packet, so no I won't go that road.

I will drill a hole 2-3m deep 50mm dia. beside and beneath the fireplace, and stuff a resistive element down there. I should probably make provision for varying the depth of the heater element(s).

Regarding number of panels, you need an oversized system to extend the benefits of solar deep into autumn, so thats why this will be DIY with labour counted at zero cost. I'm guessing a box of 27 from china as their MOQ for a start. Not on the roof; We have ample space free from shade in the nearby field.

Then when the current house demand, car charging, hot water and any battery store are all filled, the excess goes under the ground to warm the floor area and reduce the heat demand from elsewhere. Apparently some sytems take a very long time for the floor temperature to stabilise and thats where some long term data collection would come in handy. Probably a dedicated PC with a number of temp probes.

A thousand bucks seems a good speculative move. We spend that on energy in about six months I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,075 ✭✭✭✭KCross

B9K9 wrote: »
    Then when the current house demand, car charging, hot water and any battery store are all filled, the excess goes under the ground to warm the floor area and reduce the heat demand from elsewhere.

I haven’t read the paper so tell me go read it if the answer is in there! :)

Any excess you have will be in summer. What use is heating the ground then when you won’t need that heat for months later. It will be long gone and possibly result in a house that’s too hot as the heats rises up through your floors like underfloor heating does.

Can you give me the crash course on how this works.

A 3m deep hole with 50mm dia has a volume of 6litres. You sure you did not mean 500mm diameter? Even with 500mm you are only talking 600 litres. Let's assume you heat that water to 90C and then use it all the way down to 20 without any heat loss between the seasons. Wildly optimistic I know but bear with me. That is a total energy of 49kWh. I don't see how you save any money at all doing this.

And no way you maintain that temperature from summer to winter without loss. Please check the maths before sinking a 1000 euro in this project. It is looking less and less economically feasible. You will probably save a tenner off your bill every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭tech

been tracking my usuage over the last few months, is this avg usage for a 4 bed detached.

Month Day Total Month Night

265 101
    221 98
    278 93
    280 113
    254 152
    269 160

was thinking about gettin in PV, but the bills are loq and dont know would I see a pay back for 15+ years?

• Advertisement

Double that for your yearly consumption and you're on about 4.5MWh. Average in Ireland is about 3.5MWh, so you're not far off. You'll see a payback of well under 15 years if you DIY and buy the parts well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭tech

unkel wrote: »
    Double that for your yearly consumption and you're on about 4.5MWh. Average in Ireland is about 3.5MWh, so you're not far off. You'll see a payback of well under 15 years if you DIY and buy the parts well.

What size system would you recommend, also battery yes or no

The best value is a system of around 4kwp with a small battery for around the EUR6k mark all in (after the subsidy) if you go for the SEAI install. For DIY, any size you like. If you go DIY, I wouldn't go battery as they are expensive without the subsidy

Personally I would recommend to fit as many panels as you can. Panels are cheap and to fit a few extra ones costs very little time once you (or the installer) are up on the roof installing some already

• Registered Users Posts: 29 fillum

@Scoopsire if you find that company could you PM me? I got a very similar quote to yours, about €6k for same setup (w/ no battery) but judging by the comments here we are getting fleeced!

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Scoopsire

Fillum - I've PM'ed you.

The latest quote received is €4,800 inc. vat for a 2.48 kWp solar system.

fillum wrote: »
    @Scoopsire if you find that company could you PM me? I got a very similar quote to yours, about €6k for same setup (w/ no battery) but judging by the comments here we are getting fleeced!

Fillium I PM'd you also. Current install- 7k cost to me after grant- 4.8 KW Battery, 14 panels x 305 Jasolar, 5 KW solis hybrid inverter, Iboost immersion heater, Zappi 2 and myenergie hub.
    Thanks

Quick query maybe not exactly right forum- New to EV living and Solar PV but lovin it so far.

Currently home a lot but normally both parents out of house one ICE and one 30kw Leaf.

Kids school going age so nobody will be home from 9am- 2pm usually....

Query about how to 'WORK' the solar 4.8 KW system, 4.8 Battery, Night rate meter of .08cent per kilowatt with Energia, charge EV nightly, run washing machine/ dishwasher/ tumble dryer during the daylight hours (timer where possible to run concurrently when solar energy is being produced and charge the car at night on the night rate meter from 12-9 currently and let the inverter charge the solar batteries also at night rate also so can be used in morning to utilise battery rather than grid in AM and then sun charges batteries during day to be used again in evening and charged again the following night by night rate meter?
    I have also plumbed my washing machine and dishwasher with direct feed hot water so in order to save energy in machine heating up water.

is this the most efficient way to utilise SOlar PV and stored energy?

6 person home mostly maybe more at times.

many thanks folks

A 3m deep hole with 50mm dia has a volume of 6litres. You sure you did not mean 500mm diameter? Even with 500mm you are only talking 600 litres. Let's assume you heat that water to 90C and then use it all the way down to 20 without any heat loss between the seasons. Wildly optimistic I know but bear with me. That is a total energy of 49kWh. I don't see how you save any money at all doing this.

And no way you maintain that temperature from summer to winter without loss. Please check the maths before sinking a 1000 euro in this project. It is looking less and less economically feasible. You will probably save a tenner off your bill every year.

Garo, perhaps you are taking a different view to me concerning how it works. I never intend to heat any water this way, directly or instrumentally.

I want just to stand the house atop a very slowly cooling warm slab of clay and rock. That's the basic idea of seasonal thermal energy storage. You heat it up, and it blocks off conductive loss through the floor area, or even adds something back into the living space. That would depend on how deep the source of heat is set into the soil.

So if I bump up that figure, that's less flowing from the house back down through the foundations, and will lower the overall heat demand. Ground temperature year on year is around 8 deg C I think. I don't see it happening that I will create a discomfort inducing hotspot without long advance flagging. I should have loads of time to tweak the depth and quantity of heat dumping. You may be aware there are heat transfer math equations and calculation procedures to analyse this, that are used in reactor core design, but hey this is supposed to be a low key project!

Over time, it may/will act as a big thermal flywheel. It depends on what my excess is. If not much excess heat energy flows in, I wouldn't think it would be all that discernible of a difference, like say my system was at the low end of what is normally fitted to a roof.

But I will be using an adjacent good sized field with good clear aspect. And lots of panels. If I size my panels for a longer seasonal cycle of conventional usage, it will be like living over a huge low temperature underfloor storage heater, or a volcano, without the eruptions :)

Obviously at this point I don't know the calorific banked capacity of the soil with any precision; its why I am adopting a suck it and see approach. Blessed are they that don't expect, ...

IIRC a semi D loses about 30% of its heat through the floor, it ought to be a higher proportion in the case of a bungalow.

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭OnLooker

gomamochi1 wrote: »
    Fillium I PM'd you also. Current install- 7k cost to me after grant- 4.8 KW Battery, 14 panels x 305 Jasolar, 5 KW solis hybrid inverter, Iboost immersion heater, Zappi 2 and myenergie hub.
    Thanks

Could you PM me too? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,073 ✭✭✭championc

Quick query maybe not exactly right forum- New to EV living and Solar PV but lovin it so far.

Currently home a lot but normally both parents out of house one ICE and one 30kw Leaf.

Query about how to 'WORK' the solar 4.8 KW system, 4.8 Battery, Night rate meter of .08cent per kilowatt with Energia, charge EV nightly, run washing machine/ dishwasher/ tumble dryer during the daylight hours (timer where possible to run concurrently when solar energy is being produced and charge the car at night on the night rate meter from 12-9 currently and let the inverter charge the solar batteries also at night rate also so can be used in morning to utilise battery rather than grid in AM and then sun charges batteries during day to be used again in evening and charged again the following night by night rate meter?
    I have also plumbed my washing machine and dishwasher with direct feed hot water so in order to save energy in machine heating up water.

many thanks folks

It doesn't sound too efficient. A 4.8kw system will possibly be generating about 30kw per day over the past two weeks - yes ?

It sounds like you are likely exporting power for free during the day but then paying to charge the car at night.

And how do you charge the batteries each night ? With a 4.8kw system, even on a cloudy day, you should maybe be making enough excess to charge the batteries to get yourself to midnight, for when night rate kicks in.

How much did you export to the grid last month for free ?

• Advertisement

championc wrote: »
    It doesn't sound too efficient. A 4.8kw system will possibly be generating about 30kw per day over the past two weeks - yes ?

It sounds like you are likely exporting power for free during the day but then paying to charge the car at night.

And how do you charge the batteries each night ? With a 4.8kw system, even on a cloudy day, you should maybe be making enough excess to charge the batteries to get yourself to midnight, for when night rate kicks in.

How much did you export to the grid last month for free ?

Solar pv only installed past week. Will review in coming months thanks.

OnLooker wrote: »
    Could you PM me too? Thanks
    Done best of luck

many thanks folks

All of this sounds reasonable except for charging batteries from the grid. I would only do that Nov-Feb. Otherwise you may be charging the battery only for the solar to be exporting to the grid. With 4.8kWh of batteries you should be able to have the batteries last until midnight so you really wouldn't see any daytime usage at this time of the year.

Also if you have a Zappi why aren't you charging the car during the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

Done best of luck

Would appreciate a pm please

All of this sounds reasonable except for charging batteries from the grid. I would only do that Nov-Feb. Otherwise you may be charging the battery only for the solar to be exporting to the grid. With 4.8kWh of batteries you should be able to have the batteries last until midnight so you really wouldn't see any daytime usage at this time of the year.

And to add, today was an exception, it happens from time to time, and so I'll be buying power from the grid this evening, the first time in about a month

Both working health service so car often gone during the day. Do so on eco plus mode during the day to only use solar energy is that correct?
    Have the inverter set up to top up batteries at night rate meter is that correct?
    Thanks

Both working health service so car often gone during the day. Do so on eco plus mode during the day to only use solar energy is that correct?
    Have the inverter set up to top up batteries at night rate meter is that correct?
    Thanks

There's little point in charging the batteries at this time of year. Yes, on days like today, you may have got little or no charge into them, but that's the way it goes. If you have a decent sized array, you have a great chance to fully charge the batteries, even on an average day. On a decent day, it will be full before noon.

From Nov to Feb, you could maybe charge it a bit. If you insist on charging it somewhat, charge it during the final hour of night rate. You don't want it charging at midnight and discharging during night rate hours.

There is also inefficiency in charging the battery and discharging. It it could take 5kw to charge it but it might only discharge 4kw. Also, charging using .08c to save using 0.16c units. So 5kw might only save 0.40c at best.

So this is why recovery of the costs of a battery takes sooooo long

B9K9 wrote: »
    Garo, perhaps you are taking a different view to me concerning how it works. I never intend to heat any water this way, directly or instrumentally.

I want just to stand the house atop a very slowly cooling warm slab of clay and rock. That's the basic idea of seasonal thermal energy storage. You heat it up, and it blocks off conductive loss through the floor area, or even adds something back into the living space. That would depend on how deep the source of heat is set into the soil.

So if I bump up that figure, that's less flowing from the house back down through the foundations, and will lower the overall heat demand. Ground temperature year on year is around 8 deg C I think. I don't see it happening that I will create a discomfort inducing hotspot without long advance flagging. I should have loads of time to tweak the depth and quantity of heat dumping. You may be aware there are heat transfer math equations and calculation procedures to analyse this, that are used in reactor core design, but hey this is supposed to be a low key project!

Over time, it may/will act as a big thermal flywheel. It depends on what my excess is. If not much excess heat energy flows in, I wouldn't think it would be all that discernible of a difference, like say my system was at the low end of what is normally fitted to a roof.

But I will be using an adjacent good sized field with good clear aspect. And lots of panels. If I size my panels for a longer seasonal cycle of conventional usage, it will be like living over a huge low temperature underfloor storage heater, or a volcano, without the eruptions :)

Obviously at this point I don't know the calorific banked capacity of the soil with any precision; its why I am adopting a suck it and see approach. Blessed are they that don't expect, ...

IIRC a semi D loses about 30% of its heat through the floor, it ought to be a higher proportion in the case of a bungalow.

Thanks for the reply. Yes I was thinking of a different system than one you had in mind. So my question is how do you stop the thermal mass from losing heat from the 4 sides and the bottom rather than the top? What insulation if any do you you around the five sides of your thermal store? With a long narrow tube like you envision, far more of the area is to the sides and bottom than to the top. Here is an old but relevant thread from GBF UK: Interseasonsal solar thermal storage
    and
    passive-house-with-no-tapes-membranes-no-ducts-no-back-up-heating-system

In summary: a long narrow tube is probably a bad way to go about it. You are better off with a flat horizontal slab. Resistive heaters are notoriously inefficient and you would get about 5x more heat output with solar thermal tubes. Without the thermal store being insulated I suspect you will lose so much from the sides and bottom that you won't get that much usable heat out.

PS: Spend that thousand on better ground insulation will probably get you a better return. I'm assuming this is a new build?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭monkeycork

House in Cork

no grants build 2019

south facing roof

qoute for:

8 panels 2.5kw, iboost

quote including vat €7250

based on 7000kw usage electrical for the year :A-rated house, 6kw atw heat pump UF + radiators 1300 square foot. + 200-litre hot water tank with 3kw immersion weekly disinfect.

no night saver, no battery, no electric car.
    nobody at home daytime mon to fri.

if a unit KW is around 15cent including VAT 7000 kw in a year will cost around €1000. pso standing charge per year around €200.Total grid cost €1200 per year

If the pv provides 50% of the electiricy needed redusing the grid usage to 3500kw per year. the total grid cost per year would be €700

based on the above the PV would save €500 a year.

For this example I have set the usage slightly higher and current grid unit rates higher too.

figures will change if grid costs increase or FIT is introduced.

this would mean payback would be 14.5 years

Quote is full install SEAI installer, PEIMAR panels

am I missing anything here? payback would obviously reduce further if I go DIY and or add more panels. not sure if need more panels if no demand.

PMs welcomed

P.S even in dreamland if the PV provide 80% of usage payback would be around 9 years

looking at energy cost in Ireland since 2007 they have increase by around 42% fatoring this in will still mean 9 year minimum payback in the best case sernario

• Advertisement

Don't get an iBoost on a system that small. It will not even have paid for itself by the time it is end of life. So it will cost you money, not save you money. And that is not even taking into account the possibility that we might get a feed in tariff.

And sorry but your calculations are flawd because the presumptions are far too optimistic. If you got a 2.5kwp system without iBoost for about €6,750, the payback period would be >20 years

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement