Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Everything you always wanted to know about electric vehicle (but were afraid to ask)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

moggins7 wrote: »
    Basically is there a best/ cheapest way to charge on the public network? Is the ESB PAYG card the only way of charging publicly or is there another that will do it cheaper? Is there a card you can use with all chargers?

eCars
    EasyGO
    Ionity

No ‘one’ card that does them all. Similar to the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

ESB slow/standard charge points are free, and the same goes for many EasyGo chargers, typically found at supermarkets. I've noticed new chargers at several Lidl stores.

So if you have the time you can still charge for free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,721 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

moggins7 wrote: »
    Basically is there a best/ cheapest way to charge on the public network? Is the ESB PAYG card the only way of charging publicly or is there another that will do it cheaper? Is there a card you can use with all chargers?

I will charge infrequently on the public network, so it makes sense for me to have an eCars PAYG account. It means if I use their DC ‘fast’ chargers, I pay €0.33 per kWh. If however I had a subscription account, I’d only pay €0.29 per kWh, however with this account type there is a €5 per month service charge. I would only expect to use eCars fast charging if making any long trips out of Dublin and back on routes that aren’t served by Tesla Superchargers.

Then you have the eCars AC chargers, which are (currently) still free to use. I’ve used 3 of these in the last week, and for an hour charging on these, I can get 11kWh which would give me about 60km of range in my Tesla Model 3. So the AC network are nice to use as a destination charger, but wouldn’t be suitable for long journeys unless you have one available at your final destination (I’d need about 4.5 hours to fully charge my M3 from empty on AC, so not exactly terrible either)

For example I live in North Dublin, and last week we drove down to Bray and charged for free on AC for about an hour, this hour of charging effectively gave us a free trip home from Bray (we arrived in Bray in about 65%, charged to about 80% and got back home on about 65% again).
    Then the following day, we left the house at 80% and drove up to Bettystown, charged for an hour, and returned home with something like 85%

I opened my eCars PAYG account with €20 credit in it, and still have the full €20 as I’ve only used their free AC chargers so far and I’d rarely expect to use a DC fast charging station, but I know it’s there for an emergency, or for a long journey etc...

The only 2 apps I’ve used so far is ESB eCars and PlugShare (plugshare is great for giving details on the various charging stations like if you have to pay for the parking space at a charger, who runs the charger, as well as showing user uploaded photos/reviews of said charger).
    I’ve also signed up to EasyGO and have their app, just in case I’d ever be stuck near a Lidl with a charger (I believe these are free to use, but you still need to be registered with easygo to use them).

^^^^^

I’m the same. Very very rarely need public chargepoints but I do have an eCars account with my €20 in it for that one time I might need it.

I also have an easygo account. The Lidl in Cabra has 2 22.1kw chargers which are free.

The T&C’s state for users of Lidl with a max stay of 2 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,708 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

last week we drove down to Bray and charged for free on AC for about an hour

I don't know why you bothered tbh. You had to get your cable out of your car, hook it up to your car and the access point, use your card. Check the car was charging. And when you came back you had to stop the charge, take out your cable out of the car and out of the charging point and put it back into your car. A lot of hassle for the saving of about €0.88...

unkel wrote: »
    I don't know why you bothered tbh. You had to get your cable out of your car, hook it up to your car and the access point, use your card. Check the car was charging. And when you came back you had to stop the charge, take out your cable out of the car and out of the charging point and put it back into your car. A lot of hassle for the saving of about €0.88...

It was the 1st time we (ever) did it, so wanted to make sure we could actually do it... practice makes perfect for when we need to do it!!

It was more so out of curiosity rather than necessity. And all of the above took about 3-4 minutes in total!!

Also, checking the car is charging is simply just seeing the light flashing green where you plug it in!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,708 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Aye and indeed the charge points in Bray are rarely ICE'd, so they make a good parking space. I like the ones closest to the cliff walk start, to take the dog up for a good walk, but I usually stay there a good bit longer than an hour :D

We were just out for a random drive that day, and somehow ended up in Bray, and as we were coming into the town, decided to give public charging a try.

Literally all we did was led the little lad throw stones into the sea for an hour.

We’d rather do public charging the first few times through curiosity rather than necessity. Might be heading up north tomorrow so might give Supercharging a go, despite having the range to get up and back if needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

@Sabre man

How about doing a video on the needtocharge app?

• Advertisement

In this video we take a look at some of the voice commands you can use in a Tesla. Some of them will surprise you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rivegauche

This guy knows his stuff. Just retired from CATL. 1h24minutes.
    I have to go through it again as it was very in-depth and covers so many topics.

• Advertisement

ESB ecars operates the public charging infrastructure in the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland, and in this episode we take a closer look at their charge point map.

In this episode we interrogate John Casey, founder and president of Tesla Owners Ireland, and also founder of Clare EV owners on Facebook.

You may not want to visit anytime soon, but in this episode we will tell you what you need to know if you want to drive an EV in the UK.

• Advertisement

• Moderators Posts: 12,381 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Sabre Man wrote: »

How many tried to charge on the 2 AC chargers at Costa/Homestore & More?

Such a waste. Why they exist when they cannot be operated baffles me.

How many tried to charge on the 2 AC chargers at Costa/Homestore & More?

Such a waste. Why they exist when they cannot be operated baffles me.

I'll look into it next time I'm there.

• Advertisement

In this video Guillaume demonstrates three things:
    - Driving from Cork to Dublin in his BMW i3 fully electric vehicle
    - Loading several large items at Ikea
    - Comparison of charging at different chargers, including a 150kW ESB charger at Kilcullen

• Moderators Posts: 12,381 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Sabre Man wrote: »

In this video Guillaume demonstrates three things:
    - Driving from Cork to Dublin in his BMW i3 fully electric vehicle
    - Loading several large items at Ikea
    - Comparison of charging at different chargers, including a 150kW ESB charger at Kilcullen

You're far too kind to the quality of the charge points. Cashel RFID didn't work, app was very slow, no complaints. Kilcullen maxed out around 48kW when the car should be able to pull more and you say "that's really good". That's pathetic. You got more on the 50kW unit in cashel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

If I have a leaf that does 60km to a charge and my wife has a leaf that does 120km to a charge, will it cost exactly double to charge her car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Do you have to go to the main dealer when it breaks down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    If I have a leaf that does 60km to a charge and my wife has a leaf that does 120km to a charge, will it cost exactly double to charge her car?

Not exactly but close enough not to matter.

Bear in mind range depends on how heavy your right foot is so it’s not a black/white answer.

Do you have to go to the main dealer when it breaks down

Depends on whether it’s an EV specific issue or a general car thing.

KCross wrote: »
    Depends on whether it’s an EV specific issue or a general car thing.

Ev specific. Although many people might not know at the time

Sorry I should have been clearer.

Ev specific. Although many people might not know at the time

Sorry I should have been clearer.

If it’s EV specific like battery, motor, inverter, charging etc then it’s likely main dealer as very few mechanics would have the knowledge or diagnostics and parts to fix any of those... there are a few exceptions but not many.

KCross wrote: »
    If it’s EV specific like battery, motor, inverter, charging etc then it’s likely main dealer as very few mechanics would have the knowledge or diagnostics and parts to fix any of those... there are a few exceptions but not many.

Are these repairs common and are they more expensive than traditional petrol/diesel engine repairs?

Are these repairs common and are they more expensive than traditional petrol/diesel engine repairs?

They are rare but having said that its early days for EV's. The early ones are only out of warranty recently.

• Advertisement

Compare battery size.
    I could a BMW M5 easy and get more miles to the tank than a 520d that’s been driving to the red line all day.

You need to compare battery sizes to
    Compare charges.

Gumbo wrote: »
    Compare battery size.
    I could a BMW M5 easy and get more miles to the tank than a 520d that’s been driving to the red line all day.

You need to compare battery sizes to
    Compare charges.

Are you sayin that for eg, 5 euro of electric can get you more Km on one car than another assuming identical driving?

Are you sayin that for eg, 5 euro of electric can get you more Km on one car than another assuming identical driving?

It depends on where you charge, eg. at home on a night rate you get a lot more for your money than at an Ionity charger.

Although petrol and diesel prices have dropped a bit since we made this video, it gives you a good idea of the savings that are possible:

Yes.
    Assume both cars are charged at home on night rate at 9c per kWh.

€5 gets you 55.5 kWh.
    If I fill my model s performance with that, and you fill your Kona with that, I would bet my life that your Kona would get more mileage based on performance etc

What’s the difference between the141 leaf and the142 leaf?

• Advertisement
Advertisement