Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GoMo to end €9.99 per month for life offer [Now €12.99]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Qrt

tuxy wrote: »
    I don't need that much speed on mobile.

I don’t think anybody does to be fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Qrt wrote: »
    I don’t think anybody does to be fair.

People who use it as their home broadband solution would argue they do.
    But mobile networks are not designed for that kind of usage. Sure it can support some people doing it but it quickly goes to **** if too many do.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

madmoe wrote: »
    Here you go mate. Top right hand corner you can see the 5G indicator. I am pretty sure that was in town in Spar beside the LUAS stop.

What phone do you have?

Cheers,
    M

I've only a 4G handset, but have been considering an upgrade. Thanks for the screenshot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

MarkR wrote: »
    I've only a 4G handset, but have been considering an upgrade. Thanks for the screenshot.

Very welcome ;-) I went from the Note 10 Plus to the Galaxy S20 Ultra and love it.

Cheers,
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Concerned Irishman

Hi all,

I got GOMO for the 2 rugrats and all was fine until this month's bill.

What should have been an e20 bill mushroomed to an e60 bill.

I checked the details and the rugrats had signed up to a premium text service.

No info anywhere on how to block premium messages on GOMO.

Texting PRSMSBAR to 50104 (the same as Eir) may work.

I opened a call with GOMO and they have blocked premium messages on the 2 phone numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

madmoe wrote: »
    I am 100% getting it with my Galaxy S20 Ultra 5G in Dublin in a few places and speeds are amazing. Should I post a screenshot from Speedtest?

Cheers,
    M

whereabouts mate?

I've a Galaxy S20 plus 5G but haven't seen it yet

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭msmx5

Has anyone had difficulty ordering a second SIM recently? I tried yesterday and today (on both laptop and mobile) and the screen just freezes when "processing" the activation fee payment by CC, never completing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

jonnny68 wrote: »
    whereabouts mate?

I've a Galaxy S20 plus 5G but haven't seen it yet

Jervis, around Jamess Hospital and Clondalkin near the Dutch village.

Cheers,
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭lau1247

Hi all,

I opened a call with GOMO and they have blocked premium messages on the 2 phone numbers.

Is there no cap to the monthly bill to like €30?

Actually side question a while back someone said they allow 4 sims per account from their twitter page, was curious if they raised the cap too.

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

lau1247 wrote: »
    Is there no cap to the monthly bill to like €30?

Yes there is, that's why the Rugrats were unable to bankrupt the OP :D

2 x phones x 2 x Rugrats capped at €30 each = €60

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Hi all,

Are you sure about that? There's a constant flow of posts around boards of people getting scammed by those companies without ever subscribing to anything.

There are also rules about age checks that those companies are obliged to follow depending on what the content of the service is.

Have they admitted signing up to the service?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

tuxy wrote: »
    People who use it as their home broadband solution would argue they do.
    But mobile networks are not designed for that kind of usage. Sure it can support some people doing it but it quickly goes to **** if too many do.

5G is more about greatly increasing the data capacity overall, across all users, so caps can be higher or even no caps at all and potentially it could be used as a wired broadband replacement. Also much lower latency.

However those benefits are harder to explain, which is why they push big speed increase numbers, which are easier to advertise and for the general public to understand, but in reality aren't that useful to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭chris1970

Daughters phone got hit with 22.50 charge,sent from 57977 On 15th March, she doesn’t remember subscribing to anything, sent email to mymobihub the provider they sent back that 3 option bars must be pressed, my daughter says she never pressed on any subscription to paid service. I believe her. Any way to block and report this fraud ?

Problem being none has that number but gomo, so would lead me to believe that gomo passed on her number to third party.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

chris1970 wrote: »
    Problem being none has that number but gomo, so would lead me to believe that gomo passed on her number to third party.

No friends or family have her number? You don't have her number? There are thousands of apps that collect your saved contacts and send them off to advertiser's. Even Facebook collects your saved contacts. All you have to do is be in someone's phone who installed a free game or torch app or anything from a less than reputable vendor and then all your contacts get spam for life. Those face changing apps are notorious for it. One of them was even sending all your saved pictures to a random location in Russia.

We're lucky we are in Ireland and not big enough for people to target. People in the US can be hit with stuff like this as much as 10 times a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭ryange

Im getting alot of strange texts and missed calls from African countries since I signed up with gomo overlast few months. Have all options barred with gomo but still makes no difference. Never had these before with vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

ryange wrote: »
    Im getting alot of strange texts and missed calls from African countries since I signed up with gomo overlast few months. Have all options barred with gomo but still makes no difference. Never had these before with vodafone.

On the other hand mine have stopped since I moved to Gomo from Three and kept my number. It's possible some Gomo employee took a list of numbers to sell but it's really unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭jgbyr

My wife & and I are both on Gomo. She was getting these African calls, I wasn't.
    My Mother is on Vodafone, she got the same number calling on a different date but she's on Vodafone.
    Random

Outcome I emailed the company that own the site , Mobihub they said my daughter clicked on premium content banner on a google ad, three options appear telling you this is a charged service, I ask them what service they provide , I got a generic rubbish reply, they asked for screen shot of item on bill, I told them my daughter is a minor, they asked for proof, I said no, and I was going to report this to the Garda, Comreg, they agreed to refund 15€ of her 22.50, could have held out for full amount to my paypal, but more interested in blocking premium numbers to gomo. Will the Eir blocking number work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

chris1970 wrote: »
    Outcome I emailed the company that own the site , Mobihub they said my daughter clicked on premium content banner on a google ad, three options appear telling you this is a charged service, I ask them what service they provide , I got a generic rubbish reply, they asked for screen shot of item on bill, I told them my daughter is a minor, they asked for proof, I said no, and I was going to report this to the Garda, Comreg, they agreed to refund 15€ of her 22.50, could have held out for full amount to my paypal, but more interested in blocking premium numbers to gomo. Will the Eir blocking number work.

Log on to your account, click on Contact us, fill in the details and ask them to bar premium sms. They usually reply within a day to confirm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

coldfire1x wrote: »
    Log on to your account, click on Contact us, fill in the details and ask them to bar premium sms. They usually reply within a day to confirm.

Or you can do it via Chat and get instant confirmation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

IMO you should go back and insist on a full refund.
    TBH these companies have little to no fear of Comreg (who receive revenue through PRSMS licence fees).

Never mind the nonsense about clicking on ads, that does not meet the requirements of their licence. Ask them for proof that an AGREE SMS was sent (it wasn't) and submit a Subject Access Request to find out what data they have on file and where they got it. You may find that some or all of the proof they claim to have is made up, eg in some instances they say the device used was an iPhone when the user's phone is Samsung...in other words they're chancing their arm. It's akin to someone putting a flyer in your letter box and then knocking on the door to take 50 euro for giving you absolutely nothing except a 2c piece of rubbish.

They like to pretend that a 2/3 refund is goodwill etc but they still got 7.50 profit.

They are also supposed to check age if the content is deemed inappropriate for under 18s so use that as leverage. Were there any texts actually received or was it just fresh air?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Just to confirm for anyone who may be interested.
    I stuck GoMo sim into a Xiaomi hotspot, no config needed and away it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭ekevosu

Ten Pin wrote: »
    IMO you should go back and insist on a full refund.
    TBH these companies have little to no fear of Comreg (who receive revenue through PRSMS licence fees).

Never mind the nonsense about clicking on ads, that does not meet the requirements of their licence. Ask them for proof that an AGREE SMS was sent (it wasn't) and submit a Subject Access Request to find out what data they have on file and where they got it. You may find that some or all of the proof they claim to have is made up, eg in some instances they say the device used was an iPhone when the user's phone is Samsung...in other words they're chancing their arm. It's akin to someone putting a flyer in your letter box and then knocking on the door to take 50 euro for giving you absolutely nothing except a 2c piece of rubbish.

They like to pretend that a 2/3 refund is goodwill etc but they still got 7.50 profit.

They are also supposed to check age if the content is deemed inappropriate for under 18s so use that as leverage. Were there any texts actually received or was it just fresh air?

This happened to me today and I knew it was a scam, never clicked on anything so used STOP, contacted three and then contacted the company threatening comreg and gdpr etc. They got back saying they had proof with a screenshot of when, where I clicked etc. Different phone, kids game (no kids and I don't pay games) and at a time when my phone was turned off. The gdpr document they sent with info they had on me was blank, i.e. no info. They then said they would refund the full amount "out of goodwill". They are scam artists, don't accept €15, thats how they make their money. get the full amount. Your daughter didn't accept or click on any links they say she did.

also three mobile (gomo etc) are responsible as they do nothing to stop these people bar offer to block all premium numbers. Its a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

Just a heads up that MMS's are 30c each.

And if you happen to send a long SMS, it might be sent as a MMS and you'll get charged as well.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Kenjataimu wrote: »
    And if you happen to send a long SMS, it might be sent as a MMS and you'll get charged as well.
    That's down to your handset settings and is something you have control over.

If you don't want to accidentally send MMSs, delete your handset's APN settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I think an MMS is when the length of an SMS is over 4 messages long? Could be wrong but I've sent some lengthy messages and haven't seen any MMS on my bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,763 ✭✭✭DopeTech

DaveyDave wrote: »
    I think an MMS is when the length of an SMS is over 4 messages long? Could be wrong but I've sent some lengthy messages and haven't seen any MMS on my bills.

Or you group messages, send there's a setting to send them individually as SMS.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭turbostan

Prob.that was answered 1000's times but can I use Revolut or Curve?I might give them a go in April

Signed up 2 or 3 months ago, with Revolut, seamless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭naughto

How strict are they with the 80gb allowance

With 3 at the minute 20 euro a month job

Iam in line of site with the mast with 3 and eir/gomo on it
    And use it in a router

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement