Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any 530e owners out there?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Kramer wrote: »
    I'm not sure..................who to believe..............
    Is it 2 years or 3? :D

Thanks to TJJP & madds for correcting any misinformation that was posted :).

3 years - makes the 530e a fantastic buy & pushes my warranty out to 2022 ;).

1 data point is that I had no issue using the 3rd year in December 2018.

This was on an i3 , but same warranty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭Kramer

Some fuel consumption figures since last summer I had meant to post.
    BMW include the battery energy consumed in these figures too so actual l/100km of petrol is lower. Significantly lower depending on the ratio of petrol to electricity used.

CCHrUaS.jpg
    YKcY7xw.jpg
    HbhAP9F.jpg
    eTABmjr.jpg

Interesting comparison here on expected (total) range with a full tank (46l), one after mostly petrol running & the other after largely battery running.

MICxLzt.jpg
    ikstTxQ.jpg

Without checking, I think it's averaging approx. 5l/100km (almost 60mpg).

Very happy with it :).

New 6 cylinder going into the G30 (5 series) PHEV, boosting power to almost 400hp. Will boast a 0-100km/h of sub 5 seconds.

Will be designated the 545e.

https://www.bmwblog.com/2020/04/02/2020-bmw-545e-plug-in-hybrid-with-394-horsepower-coming-with-5-series-facelift/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,710 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Kramer wrote: »
    New 6 cylinder going into the G30 (5 series) PHEV, boosting power to almost 400hp. Will boast a 0-100km/h of sub 5 seconds.

For sure an improvement on the 530e, straight six back is nice, but electric it ain't. A Model 3 performance is cheaper and can do that in 3s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,217 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Sub 5 seconds is no longer remarkable.
    Sub 4 is getting there
    Sub 3 is where it's at.
    New S can do 0-60 in 2.6 seconds. New 3 in 3.2.

I suspect we'll see a lot more of these "performance" cars with proper 6/8 cyl engines and with a plug, to meet emissions targets. OEMs have said it makes it easier to meet the targets by selling a load of phevs than a few bevs, utilizing the same number of kWh of battery

ELM327 wrote: »
    Sub 5 seconds is no longer remarkable.
    Sub 4 is getting there
    Sub 3 is where it's at.
    New S can do 0-60 in 2.6 seconds. New 3 in 3.2.

Imagine you just bought a brand new €400k Lamborghini supercar. And at the traffic lights a €100k Tesla with 7 people in it would be away faster :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Casati

unkel wrote: »
    Imagine you just bought a brand new €400k Lamborghini supercar. And at the traffic lights a €100k Tesla with 7 people in it would be away faster :D

I know which Id prefer, and anyway the fastest on the road tends be a 10+ year old Golf 1.4 or a white Vivaro van so really having the fastest car on paper is a fairly mute achievement.

I really like to see more of these PHEV’s come on stream - offering a good mix of both economy/ range / high performance and cost. I’d say that the 545e might be too expensive for Irish tastes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Harcrid

This seems ridiculously cheap but I’m not fully up to speed on 530e prices.

https://www.kilkennymotorcompany.ie/used-cars/#1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

Harcrid wrote: »

That's the sort of money they seem to sell for, all right! Seems ridiculous for a car that retails around 60k. People just don't seem to understand this car. They criticise it's poor electric range and buy an ICE one which has no electric range!

I have one and it's a stunning car. It's range is only 25km but I still haven't put petrol in it since December. I charge on night rate and do all my driving for one tenth or so of ICE prices. Add to that near silent driving, great acceleration and power and it's really hard to beat unless you're a very high mileage driver.

Harcrid wrote: »

That is very cheap. The last time I looked, you couldn't get one in from the UK for that sort of money!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭basill

Its not bad but its high mileage, base model with few options. EUR25k is the equivalent of GBP22k according to xe. Lots on autotrader.co.uk with half the mileage and better options. Auction price (where presumably the IRE car was sourced) would likely be GBP18-20k. Add VRT (approx EUR3k) and you would land a better car yourself that would be easier to resell at a later date.

That 530e for 25k is sold - no surprise as it was v cheap, obviously a dealer not having much faith in the economy bouncing back.

I wonder if many private buyers buy these cars new - see Frank Keane has an SE 2020 for 58k, can’t see any 530e worth 15k a year in depreciation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Casati wrote: »
    That 530e for 25k is sold - no surprise as it was v cheap, obviously a dealer not having much faith in the economy bouncing back.

I wonder if many private buyers buy these cars new - see Frank Keane has an SE 2020 for 58k, can’t see any 530e worth 15k a year in depreciation

Crazy. Imported a high spec Jan 19 M-Sport 530e with 9k on the clock in August for 39.5k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

Crazy. Imported a high spec Jan 19 M-Sport 530e with 9k on the clock in August for 39.5k.

I paid 40k this time last year to import a brand new SE with 6k worth of extras on 182 plate. Thought I was getting a bargain:confused:! Could get an approved used 191 now for about 30k. I'm going to take a big hit when I upgrade probably later this year. Still I absolutely love it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭bmwfan

What options did you get

bmwfan wrote: »
    What options did you get

M-Sport Plus and Comfort Pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭bmwfan

M-Sport Plus and Comfort Pack.

do you have 19" or 20" wheels
    what range do you get on max edrive

bmwfan wrote: »
    do you have 19" or 20" wheels
    what range do you get on max edrive

20 inch.

Hmm I am gonna say ~30km but I am actually not sure.

New facelift due soon.......

ZhsevOj.jpg
    f9GnYom.jpg

I don't know, I think I slightly prefer the current shape.........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Is that likely to be accurate? Prefer the new grill if so.
    Also prefer the shape of the new headlights but not keen on the headlights themselves they look like a skoda or something bland like that. Not very BMW.

Tail lights look nice. Not sure if it's the angle of the render but it looks ever so slightly more muscular from the front. Lines on the side panels cleaned up but I actually prefer the pre-lci look here.

It looks closer to the new 3 series than the pre-lci 7er though. I like the new 3er but I don't want my 5 series to look like one! Wonder what interior changes we are likely to see.

Prefer the current shape too - the BMW trademark kidney shaped grill is way too fat looking now to be considered kidney shaped, and the double round headlights are gone which is a shame

BMW has really lost its styling identity imo with the 1 looking like a Focus and the 3 and 5 - too American looking maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Mickcork2020

Hoping someone can help me with VRT costs. Trying to estimate VRT cost on revenue website for 530e m sport. Problem arises as their is different selections for 530e which seem incorrect.

Selecting "530" gives me a range of selections and im able to select petrol/ plugin option for 530, E G30 MSPORT. The VRT is really low only €600 approx excluding nox charges which are low anyway.

However if i select 530e on drop down the only option is SE iperformace and vrt is far higher.

Anybody with any knowledge on which is correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭SummerK

Regardless of what revenue website says, a revenue officer will calculate and quote you depending on spec and add ons. You should be looking to pay circa 3-4k.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Hoping someone can help me with VRT costs. Trying to estimate VRT cost on revenue website for 530e m sport. Problem arises as their is different selections for 530e which seem incorrect.

Selecting "530" gives me a range of selections and im able to select petrol/ plugin option for 530, E G30 MSPORT. The VRT is really low only €600 approx excluding nox charges which are low anyway.

However if i select 530e on drop down the only option is SE iperformace and vrt is far higher.

Anybody with any knowledge on which is correct?

This time last year it was 4345 vrt for an MSport 530e.

Gumbo wrote: »
    This time last year it was 4345 vrt for an MSport 530e.

4345 for what new or used?

• Advertisement

4345 for what new or used?

I thought that would be a given...........used
    If new, VAT has to be added so that’s not part of this discussion.

I thought that would be a given...........used
    If new, VAT has to be added so that’s not part of this discussion.

Well prices varies according to year, mileage etc, so when you threw a figure with no further details, i wasnt sure.

I was told yesterday by another user that his new 530e came to 4100 approx ex vat so this is why i also asked you new or used.

As previously said, €3/4k would be there or thereabouts, depending on year, mileage, extras etc.

Seems the VRT website is way off in quoting me so.

Seems the VRT website is way off in quoting me so.

What one are you looking at?
    Link?

What year etc

• Advertisement

I’m able to get quotes online but I don’t know the specific car to enter year, nox etc

For a July 2018 car with 25000 miles I’m getting €1865 but the NOX defaults to the highest number as I’ve nothing to input so that price should drop significantly as the default is 0.251 whereby an X3 3.0d is 0.047 so the details are required to get an accurate quote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭User1998

2018 530e M Sport Nox is 0.004

User1998 wrote: »

Month of registration and mileage.

User1998 wrote: »

There’s 2 options.
    One with VRT of €1994. That car has CO2 of 46.

The other is €1285. That has a CO2 of 49.

Need the V5 to confirm the CO2 output.
    Also worth noting that the cars are under 4 years old so Revenue will add an extra for any options fitted. This will be reduced by 25% per year though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭User1998

I’ve looked at 3 different ones now all with 46 grams of CO2 and 0.004 grams of Nox, but yes you’d need to confirm with the V5 just in case.

Is there an option for upgraded alloy wheels on a 530e? Like 20/21’s? That would up the CO2

There’s 2 options.

Also worth noting that the cars are under 4 years old so Revenue will add an extra for any options fitted. This will be reduced by 25% per year though.

This is the quote i was thinking. Others on here are saying it will be €3-4k so hence my confusion. Either of the quotes you have are minimal really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

Love the look of this car but I am still very worried about reliability outside of the warranty period....

This is mainly driven by comments from guys who generally don’t have a clue and tar all cars with same brush but...still leaves a lingering doubt in my head

Cona wrote: »
    Love the look of this car but I am still very worried about reliability outside of the warranty period....

There is the factory BMW warranty for 3 years from new & I assume BMW would offer to extend this at a cost - maybe €1k per year?
    It shouldn't be different from any new vehicle, reliability wise, in my opinion. The motor/gearbox is a ZF unit & the battery should be equally as durable as that in the i3.

It does seem very well built but yes, BMWs can be expensive outside of warranty.

Compare it to a €70k+ Tesla Model 3 Performance which only comes with a 4 year/80k km warranty. A motor/battery issue on an 82k km Model 3 wouldn't be cheap either :).

This is the quote i was thinking. Others on here are saying it will be €3-4k so hence my confusion. Either of the quotes you have are minimal really.

Might depend on extras. That’s the VRT quote based on the base car. Optional extras which the VRT office send the VIN to bmw to get the exact factory spec and price and then give you the exact VRT price will add a few quid if you have extras.

Budget for the higher price and if it’s cheaper it’s a bonus.

This is mainly driven by comments from guys who generally don’t have a clue and tar all cars with same brush but...still leaves a lingering doubt in my head

So you’ve always had cars inside their warranty period?

In case anyone is bored & looking for an excuse to spend some time in their 530e, I noticed a map update available, dated Jan 2020.
    It's a 29 GB download, unzip it to a USB stick & update through the car's screen.

I did it yesterday - it takes a while to install but you can drive away while it's installing in the background.

It's titled:

Road_Map_EUROPE_EVO_2020-1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭SummerK

G30 is well built and you can buy comprehensive extended Warranty after 3 years from bmw for circa 550-600€ per year until mileage 100k km and then it increases slightly.
    I did enquire on extended warranty for 2014 430D with over 105k km and was quoted 830 per year. So low mileage 530e should be cheaper.

Following on from the map update, I hypermiled it while it was installing on an essential trip & made it past 50km :eek:.

ONwqYfw.jpg

It's a 30/35km electric only range car but the consumption was so low yesterday after 20 minutes, I had to see if it would make the 50km again.
    13.6kWh/100km :D.

SummerK wrote: »
    G30 is well built and you can buy comprehensive extended Warranty after 3 years from bmw for circa 550-600€ per year until mileage 100k km and then it increases slightly.

That would be great - €1k could get to 5 years/100,000km, worry free!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,462 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

The vrt on a 530e is 14 percent of omsp less 2500. That 2500 reducing by 250 or so yearly i believe so any of the cars valued here at 30k or so - say a 2018 m sport would be circa 2k to vrt plus any fee for extras. Nox is only 45 euro or so.

Might depend on extras. That’s the VRT quote based on the base car. Optional extras which the VRT office send the VIN to bmw to get the exact factory spec and price and then give you the exact VRT price will add a few quid if you have extras.

Budget for the higher price and if it’s cheaper it’s a bonus.

Thanks, I was not aware that this is how revenue produce prices.
    mickdw wrote: »
    The vrt on a 530e is 14 percent of omsp less 2500. That 2500 reducing by 250 or so yearly i believe so any of the cars valued here at 30k or so - say a 2018 m sport would be circa 2k to vrt plus any fee for extras. Nox is only 45 euro or so.

Good input. I saw a quote on this forum over the weekend, guy brought in a 2017 msport with 12k on the clock, vrt was only 1509! Even so, 2k is fine considering how the scam for petrol/diesel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Good input. I saw a quote on this forum over the weekend, guy brought in a 2017 msport with 12k on the clock, vrt was only 1509! Even so, 2k is fine considering how the scam for petrol/diesel.

This was me, and it was accurate and as per the higher figure on the official vrt calculator... There was an additional €20 NOX charge which I had forgotten about.
    Car was first registered in Dec 2017, Msport, with no additional extras

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Ricey3509

Hi All

I’ve a holding deposit down on a 192 530e which l’m planning to test drive next week. Anything in particular to look out for on the 530e? The car is only 9 months old so l’m not expecting it to have any major issues.

I haven’t driven the G30 yet so looking forward to taking it for a spin, I did drive the new G20 330e so will be interesting to see how they compare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

There’s 2 options.

From everything I've seen, 17, 67 & 18 plates appear to have 46g CO2 and the VRT is higher because revenue apply a different OMSP. 68, 19, 69 plates are the 49g CO2.

Effectively means that the VRT on a 67 and 68 plate is roughly the same.

My understanding of the VRT calculator is that it should be spot on, apart from extras, assuming you feed in accurate information. If you are charged what you deem to be an unfair amount, you can appeal and should win if you save the VRT calculator information etc.

commited wrote: »
    From everything I've seen, 17, 67 & 18 plates appear to have 46g CO2 and the VRT is higher because revenue apply a different OMSP. 68, 19, 69 plates are the 49g CO2.

Effectively means that the VRT on a 67 and 68 plate is roughly the same.

My understanding of the VRT calculator is that it should be spot on, apart from extras, assuming you feed in accurate information. If you are charged what you deem to be an unfair amount, you can appeal and should win if you save the VRT calculator information etc.

Calculator is accurate alright. Once your car has no options fitted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Ricey3509

Ricey3509 wrote: »
    Hi All

I’ve a holding deposit down on a 192 530e which l’m planning to test drive next week. Anything in particular to look out for on the 530e? The car is only 9 months old so l’m not expecting it to have any major issues.

I haven’t driven the G30 yet so looking forward to taking it for a spin, I did drive the new G20 330e so will be interesting to see how they compare.
    Just to follow up, I took the car out for a spin and it completely lived up to expectations, definitely not as fast or sporty to drive as the 330e but no slouch either. Extremely quiet and refined despite being on 20" wheels (rides better than our current car on 19's). Plenty of room and all gadgetry working as expected. Its the 12Kwh version with the updated live cockpit pro which I like (I know its not to everyone's taste) so overall very impressed and can't wait to get it home. I'm not sure when that will be as its an English import and VRT has to paid which isn't possible until the NCT reopen's.

Advertisement