Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No point in trying to better yourself is there ?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 415 ✭✭johnmck

mariaalice wrote: »
    What is to stop you committing an hour or so just like thousands of othere? do you feel you have a right to live in Dublin?

No I don't, I've looked for places. Found a one bed apartment in Brittas Bay for €900 a month !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

You are not seeing your opportunities OP and only see crisis - each and every one of those kids you are teaching buys drugs.
    Why can't the dealer be you?
    Most dealers would kill (probably even literally) for market access like yours.
    In 18 months you'll be turning the key in the door of your Killiney mansion.
    You won't have just bettered yourself; you'll have bested yourself. *exhales doobie smoke*

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I am lucky that we managed to get a place and have 2 kids - not in Ireland tho.
    But I am depressed for my kids future, I can't see what they will be able to get, if it's bad now in 20 years time it will be an absolute disaster.
    Population exploding and uncontrolled immigration ??? meanwhile automation will get rid of so many jobs.

I think humanity has one or two generations left, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Surely it’s time to look for a job outside the capital city.

If your circumstances don’t afford you to live there then you need to be looking towards somewhere that does.

The government have failed on pretty much every meaningful measurement you could apply but their performance on housing is dire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Anteayer

The bigger picture issue is that Dublin (and probably Cork if not a couple of other cities) will start to be unable to attract employees for jobs with pay below the levels that can afford to rent apartments/houses at these stratospheric levels.

That pushes costs up enormously or results in a shortage of key staff across a whole load of areas and it tends to have real pinch points when you can't recruit teachers, nurses, hospital doctors, Gardai and so on.

It also makes life very difficult for a whole range of companies and makes Ireland less attractive for FDI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

johnmck wrote: »
    I'm not expecting sympathy,.

What are you doing for the summer John?:D

It is a kick in the nuts when you go and try do the right thing only for the system to conspire against you. The housing situation is deplorable and it really boils my blood to hear these arsehole politicians spouting on about how complicated it is, it literally could not be simpler - build more fúcking houses!

3 billion quid to bring broadband to the wilds of Donegal, commendable I suppose, but Jesus Christ lads, come on now - first things first!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

It was not 6 years ago we had too many houses and ghost estates.

Did people expect the government to build more houses then?

There is an issue now but that’s expected, in a few years it will catch up.

Google rental and housing crisis and every country is exactly the same as Ireland.

There isn’t billions to build 100,000 houses a year.

The money just isn’t there, people cant understand this simple equation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭KikiLaRue

Get a job down the country. You're in a much better position than most. Most people are tied to Dublin because that's where their jobs are, you're not. Even if it takes another year or two to get a permanent position, that should be your goal.

You have the summer to either recharge your batteries or earn some extra money, again a privilege most jobs don't come with.

And you'll retire with a decent pension.

I do understand your frustration. I'd love to buy in Dublin but unless I meet someone with a similar amount in savings as me, that's not realistic. I've never wanted to buy down the country, but it's probably what I'll end up doing.

We can't have it all, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭trigger26

if you dont change something you'll be same again next year, you'll end up bitter like Grimey;) the housing situation is not going to change any time soon so why not take a punt out of the city? Lived in Dublin myself for 10 years and bought a house in country just before crash, still wouldn't change the decision to move out of there, just the timing!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

BarryD2 wrote: »
    One solution is fairly simple. Housing is generally cheaper outside the main cities so look for a teaching post outside Dublin.

As the OP said their permanent job is in Dublin. It isn't that easy to transfer. And the same goes for a lot of people working in Programming and Finance etc. In those cases the jobs don't exist outside Dublin but the houses don't exist inside Dublin.

Anyway why should working people be the ones forced to live 2 hours from their place of work. One other solution would be to provide social housing outside the city rather than commuter houses. It would be cheaper for the government and would break up the gettos of multi-generational welfare class estates that have developed in the big cities. Someone can watch Jermery Kyle repeats in their Pajamas just as easily from a 100k bungalow in Leitrim as from a 400k semi-d in Dundrum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

Google rental and housing crisis and every country is exactly the same as Ireland.

Hear that OP, wait a few years and you'll be grand, Trust FFG!

A few wasted billion on Irish Water and the children's hospital for starters.

Why isn't there?

There's billions for broadband, there's billions for the childrens hospital, why is it beyond the range of possibility to borrow another billion to house the population ffs?

Interest rates have never been lower - now is the ideal time to do so. There's no end of land already in state ownership, there's tons of demand, it is clearly in the national interest, far more so than bringing Netflix to west Cork I'd argue.

What's stopping it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Long term renting for someone in their forties in Ireland is not sustainable at the moment the market and the framework around it means it does not work, their only option is to buy something somewhere.

I can link it but there was an Irish Time article about people in their forties and fifties traying to rent in Dublin the OP is no the only one in that position but at least they have a permanent reasonable paying job.

Why isn't there?

There's billions for broadband, there's billions for the childrens hospital, why is it beyond the range of possibility to borrow another billion to house the population ffs?

Interest rates have never been lower - now is the ideal time to do so. There's no end of land already in state ownership, there's tons of demand, it is clearly in the national interest, far more so than bringing Netflix to west Cork I'd argue.

What's stopping it?

So 1 billion will house everyone?

1 billion will get you roughly 3,500 houses at a cost of 300k for example.

OP an apaprtemnt for under 150k in Dublin. I have had to drive past here recently and yes it could be described as having a lot going on.

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/apt-12-marlfield-close-kiltipper-tallaght-dublin-24/4333877

klaaaz wrote: »
    Hear that OP, wait a few years and you'll be grand, Trust FFG!

A few wasted billion on Irish Water and the children's hospital for starters.

Maybe if people had agreed to water charges there would be more money for housing?

But they didn’t and the rest is history.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Maybe if people had agreed to water charges there would be more money for housing?

But they didn’t and the rest is history.

my neighbour has a bumper sticker on his car which says something like "my road tax already pays for my water"

i sh1t you not.

I genuinely have empathy for the OP, but why o why did you have to go and blame the poor?

I understand that you're feeling angry and dejected, and for good reasons; but poor people didn't create this absurd, dysfunctional economy. They are little more than a paper-cut on the body of a leper.

You are completely ignoring the real problem, and by blaming the poorest people in society, are absolving of blame the real architects of deprivation and falling living-standards: Irish and European governments, large industry, and globalisation.

So 1 billion will house everyone?

1 billion will get you roughly 3,500 houses at a cost of 300k for example.

Of course a billion won't house everyone, it was a throwaway remark not a costing exercise!

Why would it cost anything like 300k to build a house. I could build a one off house for less than that from scratch, group them together, throw in economies of scale and no land costs and there's no reason you couldn't do it for half that. So now you've an extra 7000 coming on the market for your billion. Make it 3 or 4 billion and you've gone quite a way to addressing the problem.

That would be money well spent in my opinion. Do you not agree?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

But the government is exactly doing that, with social housing.
    They spent 46% over 2017's budget at a cost of €1.14 billion to build primarily social housing. They also plan to spend billions more in the the next few years; again primarily for social housing.
    And around €3 billion is earmarked for rent subsidies for the next few years.

The only way to send a message to the current government that others out there need help too i.e people who work and contribute to society, is to not vote for Fine Gael on Friday. Send them a message that it's unfair what they are going.

I posted recently about a family member in a nearby town with 2 kids. Both herself and her husband work and cannot afford a house in the town, mainly because the housing stock was bought up by the council primarily (apparently) to house Africans migrants and Roma gypsies. They are now looking at buying an old cottage in the countryside, away from their family and support systems. Libs and Sinn Fein will say that this is a justifiable cost to diversify us. The likes of Coveney want every village and town in Ireland to be fully diversified as soon as possible, but what surprises many of us is the speed that they are carrying it out, and the cost (financially, culturally, resources etc.) involved.

How about an equitable system? Be fair to everyone in the country. Make affordable homes available to those who work and contribute to our society.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

my neighbour has a bumper sticker on his car which says something like "my road tax already pays for my water"

i sh1t you not.

It actually does, 66% of the motor tax intake has gone to Irish Water.

I genuinely have empathy for the OP, but why o why did you have to go and blame the poor?

I understand that you're feeling angry and dejected, and for good reasons; but poor people didn't create this absurd, dysfunctional economy. They are little more than a paper-cut on the body of a leper.

You are completely ignoring the real problem, and by blaming the poorest people in society, are absolving of blame the real architects of deprivation and falling living-standards: Irish and European governments, large industry, and globalisation.

In a way, I understad why peopel do that even educated and intelligent people its a copeing mechanism and the poor/ those on welfare are more visible and have more advocates in the media making them even more visible, globalisation, weak governments, huge wealth funds ect are too defuse so not so easy to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Nope; no point you will only ever be at odds with yourself.

Forging a split personality to contend with into the bargain too so best to just accept who you are.... people in public will catch you remonstrating with yourself and say that boy’s not right.

That just meant someonter tax is paying for roads and infrastructure water should be metered and paid or by eveyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

and if people paid for their water by usage like the rest of the developed world, that 66% of motor tax could go into transport infrastructure.

I just gave the bastards €254.10 this morning so:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,951 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

This is the reality of having so many old people without a clue about how the realities of life have changed.

So many old people today were massive beneficiaries of the welfare state. They had social housing, public servants like teachers had secure jobs that paid enough to buy a house and raise a family. And now that it's their turn to pay for the welfare state for the young of today, they turn their back and vote for politicians who promise not to tax them to raise the money for the services they had when they were young.

Old people are the ones with most wealth. They are also the ones who vote most consistently. So politicians pander to them by promising to protect their wealth. I wonder if old people even know how their votes are affecting the young people of today?

If old people cared about building social housing and paying public servants enough to buy a house and raise a family, it would simply have to get done because politicians need their votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

... and central banking, money printing, inflation and debt monetization.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

This is the reality of having so many old people without a clue about how the realities of life have changed.

So many old people today were massive beneficiaries of the welfare state. They had social housing, public servants like teachers had secure jobs that paid enough to buy a house and raise a family. And now that it's their turn to pay for the welfare state for the young of today, they turn their back and vote for politicians who promise not to tax them to raise the money for the services they had when they were young.

Old people are the ones with most wealth. They are also the ones who vote most consistently. So politicians pander to them by promising to protect their wealth. I wonder if old people even know how their votes are affecting the young people of today?

If old people cared about building social housing and paying public servants enough to buy a house and raise a family, it would simply have to get done because politicians need their votes.

Jesus, the irony of this post, and the complete lack of insight by the poster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

It was not 6 years ago we had too many houses and ghost estates.

Did people expect the government to build more houses then?

"The money just isn't there".....

Absolutely - the money just isn't there - it isn't there to pay excessive rents, it isn't there to pay into a shambles of a rental sector.

People simply havent got bottomless bank accounts to pay 2 k a month rent.

The money simply has to be found by Govt. Even if the funding is limited we nonetheless need to make a start.

The benefits to the economy of investing in affordable housing include.

1) employment and spin off benefits from homes being built.

2) people in homes that cost less per month having more to spend in businesses like hair salons, car dealreships and restaurants.

3) reduced pressure on wages

Advertisement