Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are the new hoovers all sh!te?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Not sure about that. A 5w LED can give as much light as an 80w old fashioned bulb, but those non-LED low wattage bulbs are crap.

But LED's give off a horrible blue tone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Duane Dibbley

I have a Shark Duo Clean which is excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 10,165 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

But LED's give off a horrible blue tone.

Unless you get the really cheap ones, or chose that hue, they don't. You can get them as warm or as cold as you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,724 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I have a 12/13 year old Miele S5211 2200W vacuum that's still as good as the day I bought it. It's moved with me about 5 times now and the only thing it needs is a new bag and filter occasionally.

Was dear enough at the time as I recall, but worth every cent. Have used Dyson's once or twice over the years but they're not worth a crap in my experience. Overpriced gimmicky nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭Nermal

You can't mention the word Dyson here without a torrent of peasants appearing to bleat about their blasted Henrys. We get it, you're happy with ugly appliances to match your ugly life. Pipe down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,724 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Nermal wrote: »
    You can't mention the word Dyson here without a torrent of peasants appearing to bleat about their blasted Henrys. We get it, you're happy with ugly appliances to match your ugly life. Pipe down.

Assuming this is a genuine post, which I doubt but anyway...

It's a vacuum cleaner, not a fashion statement or indicator of wealth - more just that the marketing works on some people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Buy a Nilfisk.

Yes they are a good bit more expensive but they are excellent, reliable and are built to last. I have a Nilfisk and has never let me down over 11 years.

My parents have Nilfisk from 1970 that still works fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,293 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Ger Roe wrote: »
    It's like the low voltage... and low light level bulbs we have to buy too. I am all for energy saving, but I also have to see in the dark..

Serious lack of knowledge or understanding there

• Registered Users Posts: 24,558 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Nobelium wrote: »
    We had a dyson, looks cool, but lasted no time, before failing apart. All image no substance. Got a Henry and never looked back, it's the old tried and tested nilfisk style design, whereas the new nilfisk are shyte.

No idea how you managed to destroy it in no time but to say it's all image and no substance is nonsense.

Your Henry is durable. Fair enough. Kust because its ugly and durable doesn't make it better at what it's supposed to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,027 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Buy a Nilfisk.

Yes they are a good bit more expensive but they are excellent, reliable and are built to last. I have a Nilfisk and has never let me down over 11 years.

There is one from the 60's that belonged to my granny still working perfectly

Well worth the extra outlay you will get a lifetime out of them

Great looking machines as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Hedgelayer

The new vacuum cleaners absolutely suck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

I've a Nilfisk one and that I got when the chord on my Miele went and it's an absolute heap of junk. Just an awful design and power is pretty crap too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Ive had a couple of Dysons and never again. Overpriced and variable on quality and they don't lose suction, mainly because they have eff all to start with. Though actually they do lose suction as the optimum power is when the collector is near empty. Variability seems to be an issue with them. If you get lucky with one they can be OK for some reason, but it's a coin toss.

If you have hard floors then yeah they're OK, but are piss poor on carpet. I still have one of the handheld battery ones and use it the odd time, but it's pretty crap too. The brush attachment works OK the nozzle tends to just move the dust around. The portability is the main selling point.

Ask anyone who works in the cleaning industry and none of them use Dysons an for good reasons. They use Miele and Nilfisk and the like.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Have a Henry for the last 9 years, still as good as the day it was new. No idea what wattage it is though but it’s plenty powerful for domestic use.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

Nermal wrote: »

But at least we Henry plebs are happy and have nice clean houses and smiley faces, unlike literally filthy rich marketing victim dyson owners :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

BarryD2 wrote: »
    They are all sh*te as far as I can see. Bought a 'hoover' in the early 90s, basic enough model, built and renovated a house with it, sucked up all sorts of stuff for years. Replaced with others since, all useless.

I think the safety standards are more stringent now, which limits the potency of hoovers these days.

Ever have a hoover blow up?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,673 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

This extract from an Amazon review sums up the Nilfisk GM80. The one I have is 1200 watts, proving that power consumption is not the most important factor.

Don't be fooled by the 1100w power compared to some manufacturers that offer 2000w or even 3000w of power, it's not about motor power it's all about how much suction comes out the end of the nozzle...this beauty will swallow a nearby pet without even blinking.

The secret to it's power is the massive filter, it's huge almost the same size as the whole machine. Have yourself a massive wattage motor with a small filter and suction will soon be reduced. That guy that sells you that famous plastic see-through cyclonic vacuum and tells you they never lose suction is telling porkies. If you look at your nearest Henry or similar french company shaped vacuum, where do you think they stole their ideas from...you guessed it...this puppy...but compared to this Nilfisk, they are mere toys.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Nothing sucks like an Electrolux .....

Or so they used to say :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

lawred2 wrote: »
    Serious lack of knowledge or understanding there

Absolutely not.... It's based on experience of trying many variations over the years. The tech is getting better now, but I have not yet found a low wattage bulb that has lasted nearly as long as advertised, and until quite recently the light levels were abysmal.

I have paid high prices for inferior low wattage product over the years and think that the consumer, as always, was made to pay the price to force manufacturers to develop new products.

I know people will come back with their better performance experience, but that is mine. I fully support more efficient use of energy, but I firmly believe that the commercial imperative in the end is to force the consumer to ultimately pay more for the less energy they are using. Likewise with the 'recycle industry' - it's not for the good of the planet that these people are in business. The recycle and alternative energy industries are full of wasteful and ineffective practices that no government cares about as long as they can put a positive spin out about at least doing something.

They need to do much better and stop piling all the responsibility and costs on the end user. Get ready for the great carbon tax increase scam, coming your way soon where you will be taxed for using carbon based energy while there is very little effort put into providing viable alternatives for you to use. What about trying some incentives for a change?

Hip, hip horray.. we just declared a climate emergency in Ireland (well, 6 TD's did anyway) .... some cheek with our track record on not meeting our agreed targets on the Paris accord. Still, we will tax our citizens to the hilt and happily implement that part of the agreement anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Many years back,the Smart household sourced a Russian made Vacuum Cleaner from an outlet in the Sunshine Industrial Estate on the Crumlin Road...It was cheap....VERY cheap,and came with an immense amount of tools,spares and literature,all in a plain brown cardboard box.

I now believe the thing was military grade,disguised by a pale blue paint-scheme as it lifted everything,no matter how strongly affixed to the surface.

We got over 10 years out of it,and only gave it up when the brushes on the motor gave up with a massive blue flash..and no manufacturer support could be found...(I think it was from Vacuum Factory 18 ).

Back then Dublin had loads of little Electrical repair shops where oul lads with dew-drops on their noses would tweak and repair anything to get it working again...all of the ones I tried,and BOY did I try,had to admit failure.....

EVERY subsequent Vacuum Cleaner from the decadent West,has been a poor imitation of that Red Machine :(

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

I have a Dyson V8 and have to say it is a pleasure to use, so easy to zip out to the car with it.

Never has failed to pick up anything, although herself does hoover every day so very little mess.

• Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Balanadan

Wibbs wrote: »
    Ive had a couple of Dysons and never again. Overpriced and variable on quality and they don't lose suction, mainly because they have eff all to start with. Though actually they do lose suction as the optimum power is when the collector is near empty. Variability seems to be an issue with them. If you get lucky with one they can be OK for some reason, but it's a coin toss.

If you have hard floors then yeah they're OK, but are piss poor on carpet. I still have one of the handheld battery ones and use it the odd time, but it's pretty crap too. The brush attachment works OK the nozzle tends to just move the dust around. The portability is the main selling point.

Ask anyone who works in the cleaning industry and none of them use Dysons an for good reasons. They use Miele and Nilfisk and the like.

Dyson are fantastic at marketing. That's the only reason I can see to buy their products.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

Will any other brand than Hoover ever achieve what it managed, actually lending it's name to the vacuuming of floors and carpets ?

Dysoning or Nilfisking a carpet sounds weird compared to Hoovering.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,835 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Another happy Henry. The motor died after many years of abuse - fire ash kills motors. Local dealers quoted over €100 & I bought a new motor on ebay for €30. The cable winder contacts broke, again after many years & the dealer wanted €80 for a new cable drum. I ended up paying £5 for a pair of contacts, fitted in 5 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

Ger Roe wrote: »
    Absolutely not.... It's based on experience of trying many variations over the years. The tech is getting better now, but I have not yet found a low wattage bulb that has lasted nearly as long as advertised, and until quite recently the light levels were abysmal.

I have paid high prices for inferior low wattage product over the years and think that the consumer, as always, was made to pay the price to force manufacturers to develop new products.

I know people will come back with their better performance experience, but that is mine. I fully support more efficient use of energy, but I firmly believe that the commercial imperative in the end is to force the consumer to ultimately pay more for the less energy they are using. Likewise with the 'recycle industry' - it's not for the good of the planet that these people are in business. The recycle and alternative energy industries are full of wasteful and ineffective practices that no government cares about as long as they can put a positive spin out about at least doing something.

They need to do much better and stop piling all the responsibility and costs on the end user. Get ready for the great carbon tax increase scam, coming your way soon where you will be taxed for using carbon based energy while there is very little effort put into providing viable alternatives for you to use. What about trying some incentives for a change?

Hip, hip horray.. we just declared a climate emergency in Ireland (well, 6 TD's did anyway) .... some cheek with our track record on not meeting our agreed targets on the Paris accord. Still, we will tax our citizens to the hilt and happily implement that part of the agreement anyway.

What kind of bulbs are you buying? Replaced all the bulbs in my house with leds from city electrical factors if anything the ones I got for bedside lamps were too bright had to swap them out for cooler ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Buy a Nilfisk.

Nilfisk are pretty good but Henry are better

I'd change the original thread title to

"are expensive household appliances worth it"

In my opinion they are not, spent 950 on a Siemens dishwasher two years ago and it's a real disappointment, bought a huge beko fridge and freezer six months ago for 850 combined, fantastic

We live in a disposable world now where buying for twenty years is a thing of the past

BarryD2 wrote: »
    They are all sh*te as far as I can see. Bought a 'hoover' in the early 90s, basic enough model, built and renovated a house with it, sucked up all sorts of stuff for years. Replaced with others since, all useless.

All steam cleaners are ****e, went back to the mop myself

ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    Electronics these days are disposable items with limited lifespans to encourage consumers to buy them more frequently. Plus they are not designed to be repaired and have limited changeable parts.

20-30 years ago they were big purchases and a lot more expensive so they lasted a lot longer. These days everything is disposable.

TVs and kitchen appliances have all gone the same way.

We live in a dacia duster world of consumer spending

Buy a Nilfisk.

Yes they are a good bit more expensive but they are excellent, reliable and are built to last. I have a Nilfisk and it has never let me down over 11 years.

Nilfisk are mid range, less than half the price of a miele

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Miele vacuum cleaners suck!

In a nice way.

Advertisement