Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are the new hoovers all sh!te?

Options
  • 05-05-2019 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭

Since d'EU brought in the 890 watt restriction?

We bought a new Miele not so long ago and it was useless. No power in it at all. Got one today for a fiver at a car boot sale. Still working but the stem is missing.

Will the old 2000 watt ones become valuable and cherished?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I replaced an eleven year old Miele cat+dog hoover with a newer spec Miele cat and dog hoover just a few weeks ago.

The only reason I replaced it at all was because the cord no longer retracted, and I wanted to move away from vscums that needed a bag.

The eleven year old model still was as powerful as the day I first bought it, and got rehomed in my office where the cleaning lady has been raving about if since it arrived.

I don't know what model you bought, but it certainly wouldn't reflect my experiences with the brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Buy a commercial machine, the new law doesn’t apply to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭mada82

Why have they put a law on hoover wattage?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Since d'EU brought in the 890 watt restriction?

We bought a new Miele not so long ago and it was useless. No power in it at all. Got one today for a fiver at a car boot sale. Still working but the stem is missing.

Will the old 2000 watt ones become valuable and cherished?

What in the name of god are you hoovering up?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,112 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

It's like the low voltage... and low light level bulbs we have to buy too. I am all for energy saving, but I also have to see in the dark.

I bought a bag-less cyclone type cleaner (not Dyson) that was as useless as me sucking on a straw over the carpet - lots of heat and noise generated but F* all suction power.

Soon we will be stumbling around in the dusk level light, tripping over piles of dust that our vacuum cleaners won't pick up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

The henry range offer tried and tested designs, good value and performance. Stay away from the overpriced dyson designer gimmick type shyte.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Ger Roe wrote: »
    It's like the low voltage... and low light level bulbs we have to buy too. I am all for energy saving, but I also have to see in the dark.

I bought a bag-less cyclone type cleaner (not Dyson) that was as useless as me sucking on a straw over the carpet - lots of heat and noise generated but F* all suction power.

Soon we will be stumbling around in the dusk level light, tripping over piles of dust that our vacuum cleaners won't pick up.

Not sure about that. A 5w LED can give as much light as an 80w old fashioned bulb, but those non-LED low wattage bulbs are crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

Nobelium wrote: »
    The henry range offer tried and tested designs, good value and performance. Stay away from the overpriced dyson designer gimmick type shyte.

Agreed. The main floor tool for them is arse though. Buy a Turbo brush for it and you’re good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

did some work lately for someone and they had a Henry the best hoover i ever used to clean up as i had made a lot of dust etc, forget those expensive makes and get a Henry.:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,252 ✭✭✭✭endacl

We bought a new Miele not so long ago and it was useless.
    Not a hoover.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

• Registered Users Posts: 24,575 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Was given a Dyson. Happy to be wrong about it.

Magic on carpets and handy as f**k

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Buy a Nilfisk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

They are all sh*te as far as I can see. Bought a 'hoover' in the early 90s, basic enough model, built and renovated a house with it, sucked up all sorts of stuff for years. Replaced with others since, all useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,780 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Buy a Nilfisk.

Yes. I have the GM80 which has really powerful suction. Label on it says 1200 W. Very expensive though. Nilfisk are Danish, but the machine is made in Hungary.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭kirving

The idea behind limiting the motor power was to force manufacturers to innovate in terms motor efficiency, batteries, and aerodynamics.

The problem is that most people don't care enough about vacuuming, or can't justify buying an expensive model.

You only uses it every few days for half an hour maybe, so the user never really notices that the new model is costing less, they just notice that it's rubbish.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Electronics these days are disposable items with limited lifespans to encourage consumers to buy them more frequently. Plus they are not designed to be repaired and have limited changeable parts.

20-30 years ago they were big purchases and a lot more expensive so they lasted a lot longer. These days everything is disposable.

TVs and kitchen appliances have all gone the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I have a small Miele that’s around 12?years old.

Was planning on buying the new Dyson but 600 is dear enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Was given a Dyson. Happy to be wrong about it. Magic on carpets and handy as f**k

It's a grand vacuum cleaner - just as long as you're not paying for it yourself.

• Advertisement

Squatter wrote: »
    It's a grand vacuum cleaner - just as long as you're not paying for it yourself.

If I'd known how good it was in terms if cleaning carpets, storage space and speed I'd quite possibly have bought

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Buy a commercial machine, the new law doesn’t apply to them.

This. Bought a Fein dustex, mainly for power tools-sander, mitre saw, etc. 1400W, wet and dry, beast of a thing-would suck a golf ball thru a garden hose.

Have a Dyson as well, noisy bastard of a thing-the Fein is much better than it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Whatever Hoover vacuum cleaner you buy, make sure its a mains (plug in) one!

Those new lightweight flashy rechargeable ones are great fun in the beginning, but the rechargeable battery won't last for ever, while mains powered vacuums will last for decades (in some cases) and they pack a much greater punch ...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Less output=less input. Most newer hoovers wouldn't suck up a flea imo

glynf wrote: »
    This. Bought a Fein dustex, mainly for power tools-sander, mitre saw, etc. 1400W, wet and dry, beast of a thing-would suck a golf ball thru a garden hose.

Have a Dyson as well, noisy bastard of a thing-the Fein is much better than it.

'Mé Fein'

An epic story of one man and his vacuum. You'll laugh, you'll cry and you'll buy.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,954 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

mada82 wrote: »
    Why have they put a law on hoover wattage?
    Because they were inefficient.

Standard Dyson batteries are 46 Wh.

If it could supply 2,000 Watts it could only do it for 83 seconds.

Same with power tools BTW.

(6-cell Lithium Ion Battery Pack, 21.6 V, 16.2 A, 2100 mAh, 46 Wh).

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Buy a Nilfisk.

Yes they are a good bit more expensive but they are excellent, reliable and are built to last. I have a Nilfisk and it has never let me down over 11 years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

Was given a Dyson. Happy to be wrong about it.

We had a dyson, looks cool, but lasted no time, before failing apart. All image no substance. Got a Henry and never looked back, it's the old tried and tested nilfisk style design, whereas the new nilfisk are shyte.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

We had a dyson, looks cool, but lasted no time, before failing apart. All image no substance. Got a Henry and never looked back, it's the old tried and tested nilfisk style design, whereas the new nilfisk are shyte.

Our Dyson is 15 years old. Has rolled down the stairs onto a concrete floor more times than an 80s stunt man and it's still great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,719 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

anewme wrote: »
    I have a small Miele that’s around 12?years old.

Was planning on buying the new Dyson but 600 is dear enough.

I got a new one eleven years ago for 250 and its as still good as the day I bought it with great suction. It is reliable and well made too. My parent's have one do and for some reason the suction from it is just sh;;te.

Advertisement