Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rise of Vegetarian/Veganism

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,285 ✭✭✭jh79

Fact is, we'd all be a bit healthier if we ate less dairy and meat. I know Irish farmers don't like this, and RTE seem to give them a platform, but they are interested in their own business surviving and that is all.

As far as i know, processed meat is the real issue. The health outcomes for excessive red meat only are not that bad.

White meat and dairy have a positive effect on health.

A diet high in fish seems to be the healthiest option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Fact is, we'd all be a bit healthier if we ate less dairy and meat. I know Irish farmers don't like this, and RTE seem to give them a platform, but they are interested in their own business surviving and that is all.

Interesting that some interests seem to be making out eating a normal diet is about "farmers". No idea why you want to attack to attack one group of people. Bit of a childish argument there no? You do know Irish farmers also grow crops? Do you support that? Or are you just against some Irish farmers?

Funny thing is that real dietry advice out there advises that dairy and meat are a healthy part of a balanced diet.

Dont know about you - but I don't need to cut back on anything - Thanks Dr stefanovich! Are you're a qualified dietician btw ? Though as far as I remember we're not supposed to give medical advice here? No matter. ;)

Btw this isn't even information from Ireland - this from the NHS in the UK so no "platform" (sic)
    Meat is a good source of protein, vitamins and minerals, including iron, zinc and B vitamins. It's also one of the main sources of vitamin B12.

Choose lean cuts of meat and skinless poultry whenever possible to cut down on fat. Always cook meat thoroughly.

Try to eat less red and processed meat like bacon, ham and sausages.
    Milk and dairy foods

Milk and dairy foods, such as cheese and yoghurt, are good sources of protein. They also contain calcium, which helps keep your bones healthy.

Go for lower fat and lower sugar products where possible.

Choose semi-skimmed, 1% fat or skimmed milk, as well as lower fat hard cheeses or cottage cheese, and lower fat, lower sugar yoghurt.

https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/eat-well/

Tbh its very strange that some really do seem bitter against supporting Irish people and the economy. But there you go. Anyhow back to the topic ...

Heres some other good news a recent study from UCD

And it's good news for vegetarians and those eating a normal diet!
    Irish study says people with highest dairy consumption have lower BMI

23-Feb-2017 By Jim Cornall

A new study looking at dairy consumption and its relationship with metabolic health has delivered some promising results

[url]HTTPS://WWW.DAIRYREPORTER.COM/ARTICLE/2017/02/23/IRISH-STUDY-SAYS-PEOPLE-WITH-HIGHEST-DAIRY-CONSUMPTION-HAVE-LOWER-BMI [/url];

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Milk and red meat are high in saturated fat and a diet that is low in saturated fat is good for cardiovascular health. It is not much of a leap to suggest that eating less of the same can reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease.

I have seen RTE give a platform to several farmers recently where they are suggesting we eat meat and dairy every day. This is most likely bad advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

jh79 wrote: »
    A diet high in fish seems to be the healthiest option.

Problem with that is that there's hardly any fish left. Bottom trawling has ruined Irish seas over the past 100 years or so. Humans are so thick though, we know marine life is being destroyed at an astonishing rate yet we continue to take more and more out of the sea. Some kind of European moratorium on fishing is required, but again too many vested interests for that to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,285 ✭✭✭jh79

Milk and red meat are high in saturated fat and a diet that is low in saturated fat is good for cardiovascular health. It is not much of a leap to suggest that eating less of the same can reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease.

I have seen RTE give a platform to several farmers recently where they are suggesting we eat meat and dairy every day. This is most likely bad advice.

According to a recent meta-analysis there is no association between red meat intake and heart disease or diabetes.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-07-14/eating-a-plant-based-diet-doesnt-mean-being-a-vegetarian/8710254

Milk and red meat are high in saturated fat and a diet that is low in saturated fat is good for cardiovascular health. It is not much of a leap to suggest that eating less of the same can reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease. I have seen RTE give a platform to several farmers recently where they are suggesting we eat meat and dairy every day. This is most likely bad advice.

I'll ask again are you a qualified dietician that you disagree with bodies such as the NHS in the UK? Why is that? Is the NHS giving Irish farmers a 'platform' (sic)

What have you against "farmers" exactly? This thread is about diet btw

As above dairy and meat are both recommended fodstuffs as part of a Healthy balanced diet. But you know that.

More open attacks on others diets and lifestyles - funny that .There's a bit of a pattern here tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Fact is many people would be healthier if they were more active and didn't eat so much crap. Dairy and meat offer nutrition that is not necessarily bad for you. It's how our nutrition is combined with the rest of our lifestyle decisions that really causes us problems.

• Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Balanadan

People who advocate for vegetarianism and veganism are a threat to our society, our prosperity, our freedom, our national security, and themselves.

markodaly wrote: »

Two American websites? Seriously? Who do you want to support? Do you want Ireland to be wholly dependent on having to buy cheap imported food from other countries with few if any ethical nor environmental standards? Why is that?

Well the good news is that the Irish econmony and that's everyone btw benefits from Irish exports.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/agribusiness-and-food/kerrygold-becomes-ireland-s-first-billion-euro-food-brand-1.3876158
    Kerrygold becomes Ireland’s first billion euro food brand. Kerrygold has become the first Irish food brand to exceed €1 billion in annual sales, helped by its growing popularity in the United States.

Personally it's my one weakness ! I'd eat butter till it came out of my ears if I could :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

Some serious farmer bashing going on.
    My dad is a farmer and he has two kids that are vegetarian. He couldn't give a s**t.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

In terms of health, the abundance of fast food places around Dublin and the ease of access to deliveries is what has me ruined.

Fresh red meat cooked healthy and dairy in place of the above would do me the world of good.

Ireland's obesity and heart disease issue wouldn't exist if we were more active and we didn't have the chipper mentality bet into our minds growing up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,865 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

gozunda wrote: »
    Two American websites? Seriously? Who do you want to support? Do you want Ireland to be wholly dependent on having to buy cheap imported food from countries with few if any ethical nor environmental standards? Why is that?

Pointing out the nationality of the website has nothing to do with the fact that I correctly stated that dairy consumption is declining.
    It seems you are easily triggered.

You are great at the strawman argument though. I state one thing about dairy consumption declining, this obviously means I am in favor of cheap processed imports from the US. I stated nothing of the sort of course. Now how you came up with that nugget of wisdom beats me, but I guess you have form in that type of gigantic leap. Are you Cathy Newman?

Even your strawman with its fallacies and false equivalences is flawed, as Ireland exports most of its food. I guess it's bad when we import food, but it's ok when other countries imports Irish foods.
    Well the good news is that the Irish econmony and that's everyone btw benefits from Irish exports.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/agribusiness-and-food/kerrygold-becomes-ireland-s-first-billion-euro-food-brand-1.3876158

Irish importing food baaaad.
    Irish exporting food gooood.

Am I doing this right?

Pointing out the nationality of the website has nothing to do with the fact that I correctly stated that dairy consumption is declining.It seems you are easily triggered.

Lol 'triggered' angry plant food activists favourite word. You must not have seen the good news about Irish butter and its success globally and in the US but no matter.

You are great at the strawman argument though. I state one thing about dairy consumption declining, this obviously means I am in favor of cheap processed imports from the US. I stated nothing of the sort of course. Now how you came up with that nugget of wisdom beats me, but I guess you have form in that type of gigantic leap. Are you Cathy Newman?

Avoid the questions asked - add insult - attack - the poster. Yeah keep going.

Even your strawman with its fallacies and false equivalences is flawed, as Ireland exports most of its food. I guess it's bad when we import food, but it's ok when other countries imports Irish foods

Introduces irrelevancies- goes off on a tangent..

Irish importing food baaaad.
    Irish exporting food gooood.
    Am I doing this right
    ?

You can't answer any of the genuine questions - which were asked but resort to such comment stupidity?

But ok - if thats the only way you wish to communicate. Let me see - what you're saying is

Whole foods produced in Ireland baaaaaad
    Talking rubbish goood

Is that ok?

Or to paraphrase "Discussion? Fuk that! Lets attack a farmer - barstewards!!!!"

And just to finish - why would anyone bother engaging further with a poster who uses this thread to attack Irish food producers and others just to stir ****e?. You're on your own. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,865 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

You can't answer any of the genuine questions

They were genuine questions? Pull the other one. For a farmer, you seem to have an awful lot of spare time being an under contrarian.

Your posting history and general behavior in relation to this topic speak for itself.

• Advertisement

They were genuine questions? Pull the other one. For a farmer, you seem to have an awful lot of spare time being an under contrarian.

Your posting history and general behavior in relation to this topic speak for itself.

Could be very well subsidised by the tax payer thus allowing for lots of free time and not much idea what to do with it.

Certainly not working too hard anyway.

I'll just leave this here as apparently the level of discussion is now in the sewer and its denizens have taken over. But hey what's new? :D

30ghuj.jpg

Pointing out the nationality of the website has nothing to do with the fact that I correctly stated that dairy consumption is declining.
    It seems you are easily triggered.

You stated that global dairy production was declining referencing two articles stating that the US dairy industry is declining. And you talk about strawman arguments??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Are you just making up facts?

Worldwide dairy consumption is on an upward trend with continued growth expected over the next number of years.

He is indeed making up facts - it has been proven on many threads that he regularly does this

• Registered Users Posts: 48 stanley1989

You are joking lol ? I suggest you read up on the effects of dairy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭McCrack

The food chain exists for a reason

It's perfectly healthy and normal to eat animals, drink their milk. Equally if a human decides not to thats okay.. There are lots of other food sources

You are joking lol ? I suggest you read up on the effects of dairy
    Just because you think it's true doesn't make it so. Why don't you provide a credible link or at least more of a paragraph as why you claim it's not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Purgative

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Eating more veg is surely good for the environment

Unless those veg were shipped in from southern Greece, or southern Spain or Holland and Israel

Just on that I ate something the other day (can't even remember) but the label said "Produce of Vietnam, processed in South Africa" and I bought for 2 squids in the West.

That's globalisation on fcuking steroids.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Just because you think it's true doesn't make it so. Why don't you provide a credible link or at least more of a paragraph as why you claim it's not?

Google have all the info you need !

Google have all the info you need !
    Hmm. poster has no argument so I need to look up Google! I'm not the one throwing out claims that look completely made up and it's really not up to me nor anyone else to help you write a coherent post properly, so back 'em up or they are what they seem to be, absolute nonsense,

is_that_so wrote: »
    Hmm. poster has no argument so I need to look up Google! I'm not the one throwing out claims that look completely made up and it's really not up to me nor anyone else to help you write a coherent post properly, so back 'em up or they are what they seem to be, absolute nonsense,

Google it you argumentative fool ... I don't owe you or anyone a coherent post . Someone posted that dairy is healthy I know this to be untrue through Google self learning all that maybe you should try it . Did you argue with that poster too that said it was healthy . Pathetic

Google it you argumentative fool ... I don't owe you or anyone a coherent post . Someone posted that dairy is healthy I know this to be untrue through Google self learning all that maybe you should try it . Did you argue with that poster too that said it was healthy . Pathetic
    Ah and now the insults, so you got nothing? Good that you know things. You have a nice day now.

Google it you argumentative fool ... I don't owe you or anyone a coherent post . Someone posted that dairy is healthy I know this to be untrue through Google self learning all that maybe you should try it . ..

Name calling? nice response btw.

The thing about 'google' is that you should avoid the crackpot websites. Its not difficult

Current (real) dietary advice out there advises that dairy and meat are a healthy part of a balanced diet.

You must have missed the post in this thread where this was detailed already. From the NHS website (least anyone claim that the equivalent Irish website is biased)
    Meat is a good source of protein, vitamins and minerals, including iron, zinc and B vitamins. It's also one of the main sources of vitamin B12.

Choose lean cuts of meat and skinless poultry whenever possible to cut down on fat. Always cook meat thoroughly.

Try to eat less red and processed meat like bacon, ham and sausages.

Milk and dairy foods
    Milk and dairy foods, such as cheese and yoghurt, are good sources of protein. They also contain calcium, which helps keep your bones healthy.

Go for lower fat and lower sugar products where possible.

Choose semi-skimmed, 1% fat or skimmed milk, as well as lower fat hard cheeses or cottage cheese, and lower fat, lower sugar yoghurt.

https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/eat-well/

Only one fool here from my line of sight.
    Maybe the lack of dairy stopped the production of your brain cells?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod-stanley1989 do not post in this thread again, ever.

• Advertisement

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/may/22/telling-meat-eaters-bacon-off-menu-wont-work-adrian-chiles

This is a great balanced article. I really like Adrian Chiles, his doc on booze was very good.

What a load of scutter. Why is that the 'born again' evangelicals of whatever belief system is momentarily fashionable have to be the biggest 'sinners whilst lecturing the rest of us on what they perceive as our 'moral' failings :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Looks like the Go Vegan/meat is murder poster campaign is shifting up a gear. Apparently the poster campaign preaching that eating dairy was depriving calves of their mothers’ milk just wasn’t enough...

go-vegan-campaigne-4.jpg

Factory farming is disgusting. Pigs in ireland never see the light of day. If this poster works on some people than why not, most people dont give a seconds thought to the animal theyre eating and where it came from. Thats not right. We used to eat meat once or twice a week now its 3 times a day. If we want better animal welfare we all need go give it up or eat less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Factory farming is disgusting. Pigs in ireland never see the light of day. If this poster works on some people than why not, most people dont give a seconds thought to the animal theyre eating and where it came from. Thats not right. We used to eat meat once or twice a week now its 3 times a day. If we want better animal welfare we all need go give it up or eat less.

While I try to eat as little meat as possible, it can be really tough making a desirable meal that's also filling, without using meat or fish. I find the effort in preparing a dish with meat, that's satisfying, is lower. Probably just what I am used to.

While I try to eat as little meat as possible, it can be really tough making a desirable meal that's also filling, without using meat or fish. I find the effort in preparing a dish with meat, that's satisfying, is lower. Probably just what I am used to.

You get used to it, at least i did. At least you can get sustainably sourced fish, although im not sure i believe those labels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Looks like the Go Vegan/meat is murder poster campaign is shifting up a gear. Apparently the poster campaign preaching that eating dairy was depriving calves of their mothers’ milk just wasn’t enough...

go-vegan-campaigne-4.jpg

Are you surprised? People don't like to think about the realities of how meat gets to their supermarket, wrapped in plastic. So it makes perfect sense for a group who is opposed to eating meat to show the public some of those realities.

Do you think the ads are effective?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I don't know if any other cause would be given a free pass to run a campaign on such a blatantly emotive and provocative basis.

Would an ad campaign portraying a guy with a suicide vest captioned "We don't need more Syrians in Ireland", or one showing somebody dying of Aids in a hospital bed captioned "Homosexuality Kills" get such a free pass?

The different standards applied in respect of this dietary cult are strange to me.

topper75 wrote: »
    I don't know if any other cause would be given a free pass to run a campaign on such a blatantly emotive and provocative basis.

Would an ad campaign portraying a guy with a suicide vest captioned "We don't need more Syrians in Ireland", or one showing somebody dying of Aids in a hospital bed captioned "Homosexuality Kills" get such a free pass?

The different standards applied in respect of this dietary cult are strange to me.

Can you think of any better analogies because the point is interesting but the analogies are miles off.

A better analogy would be the graphic anti abortion ads. They got a free pass (if by free pass you mean they were legally perfectly fine but lots of people objected to them personally).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,676 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

the meat industry could start putting pictures of vegans on busses, that would be enough to put most people off not eating meat

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »
    the meat industry could start putting pictures of vegans on busses, that would be enough to put most people off not eating meat

Joaquin Phoenix
    Olivia Wilde
    Casey Affleck
    Zooey Deschanel

All very attractive Vegans.

Joaquin Phoenix
    Olivia Wilde
    Casey Affleck
    Zooey Deschanel

Why on the constant advocacy horn for vegans / veganism when you claim not to be one?

"Attractive" is a very subjective noun. Especially with many fake Hollywood plastic people. Id prefer to determine someones 'attractiveness' by who they are - than whether people think they are pretty or whatever...

Joaquin Phoenix
    Olivia Wilde
    Casey Affleck
    Zooey Deschanel

Cos proper old school traditional meat eaters are all so pretty. Great Wall of Gammon, anyone?

Why the constant advocacy horn for vegans / veganism when you claim not to be one?

"Attractive" is a very subjective noun. Id prefer to determine someones 'attractiveness' by who they are - than whether people think they are pretty or whatever...

Take it up with the poster who proposed putting pictures of vegans on busses to put people off the idea.

• Site Banned Posts: 9 Wait A Sec

A lot vegan men do have that hormonally challenged looked about them. Hence the infamous 'soyboy' meme.

• Advertisement

Take it up with the poster who proposed putting pictures of vegans on busses to put people off the idea.

I dont think so. That poster referred to nothing about 'attractiveness". Tbh they made a fair point. The posters are designed to attack - they are not selling anything or saying eating plants or whatever is good. Most of it is pure emotive ****e tbh. I'm sure it would be quite possible to find a bunch of half starved unhealthy looking 'plant eaters' (or at least claim they are) and put them on a poster in the same vein ...

I dont think so. That poster referred to nothing about 'attractiveness". Tbh they made a fair point. The posters are designed to attack - they are not selling anything or saying eating plants or whatever is good. Most of it is pure emotive ****e tbh. I'm sure it would be quite possible to find a bunch of half starved unhealthy looking plant eaters and put them on a poster in the same vein ...

You don't think what? The post is fairly clear and it didn't mention attractiveness. So what did they mean? Healthy? fashionable?

P.S. It was a silly joke about vegans, not really worthy of deep analysis. But since you objected...

Joaquin Phoenix
    Olivia Wilde
    Casey Affleck
    Zooey Deschanel

Also lots of unhealthy skin and bone types out there too, James Cameron's wife for example looks like she could do a concentration camp extra in any upcoming movie. Maybe some people can make it work but plenty seem to go downhill on them more so than if they had just stuck to an eating cr@p diet

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Wait A Sec wrote: »
    A lot vegan men do have that hormonally challenged looked about them. Hence the infamous 'soyboy' meme.

you should google Dr Michael Greger, he is one of the goto Vegan lights, he fits the bill, he is 47 looks 60 and has that "soy" look

Also lots of unhealthy skin and bone types out there too, James Cameron's wife for example looks like she could do a concentration camp extra in any upcoming movie. Maybe some people can make it work but plenty seem to go downhill on them more so than if they had just stuck to an eating cr@p diet

It's a ridiculous argument. I would say every grossly obese person you see in Ireland is a meat eater. Change the record.

• Advertisement
Advertisement