Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garda shoots dog in Longford

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

Discodog wrote: »
    The Guard did not have control. He was extremely unprofessional, failed to see the risks & should of pulled back & asked for backup. Very worrying that such a poorly trained Guard is holding a firearm.

What weapons training do you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

So the texts are going around now. Apparently the guard was trying to solve a dispute. A slash hook was produced which was taken off them. Then the dog was set on the guard. The video has been edited to remove the dog attacking the guard which is why he shot the dog.

If this is true, it should be widely published so everyone knows what they are up to. Rural Ireland should take a lesson from the French & get rioting for more Garda/stations. That would give Leo something to think about..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

When is Pavee Point organising the protest against Garda brutality?

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Sympathies to whoever owned the dog before it was robbed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mookie Blaylock

What weapons training do you have?

5th Dan keyboard warrior

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

Reati wrote: »
    Let's be honest, the Garda knew he was being video'd. He wouldn't have pulled the gun out and pulled the trigger for the craic. He clearly felt threatened.

Anyway, I was having a bad morning here int he Office but that video really cheered me up. Good on the Garda for his actions. Pity he shot for the foot. The women screaming didn't seem too scared of him given her ability to keep videoing and screaming "he shot me husband". Husband wasn't making too much noise for a man just shot either.

Jesus wept, it cheers you up to see a dog shot dead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

He means what happens to the lad in the van when the guard is back at his car chatting on the phone? The van driver gets beat asunder and the guard there chatting the boys on the phone?

Then he'd be whinging that the guard was not doing his job at protecting the lad in the van. Heads he loses , tails he loses.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

When is Pavee Point organising the protest against Garda brutality?

:rolleyes:

#knacklivesmatter

• Registered Users Posts: 16,474 ✭✭✭✭banie01

BBFAN wrote: »
    Jesus wept, it cheers you up to see a dog shot dead?

I've yet to see an edit of the video that shows a dog, let alone a dead one?
    I know it has been confirmed that a dog was killed and don't doubt it, but who has seen the video containing that?

The Garda would not have drawn a firearm without feeling threatened, and that he drew a gun rather than an asp should give an indication of the level of threat he felt was imminent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

tuxy wrote: »
    All mainstream news sources confirming that one shot was fired, the same shot that killed the dog hit the man in the leg/foot.

I've only had a quick look around, I don't see the story reported on RTE or the independent. I often have a strong suspicion that the mainstream media is increasingly unwilling to report traveller transgressions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

banie01 wrote: »

The Garda would not have drawn a firearm without feeling threatened, and that he drew a gun rather than an asp should give an indication of the level of threat he felt was imminent.

Do detectives carry an ASP? I think they only carry a sig sauer 9mm.
    The suits they wear does not leave much room to carry anything else comfortably. I'm open to correction though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,474 ✭✭✭✭banie01

tuxy wrote: »
    Do detectives carry an ASP? I think they only carry a sig sauer 9mm.
    The suits they wear does not leave much room to carry anything else comfortably. I'm open to correction though.

In my experience they carry either an asp or pepper spray on the belt with the Sig, but never both.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,797 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I don't like any animal to be needlessly hurt, but I feel any animal is better off without an owner like that and I hope it was a clean shot and quick death.

I would say to the woman on the recording protesting loudly about the whole affair due to being heavily pregnant while the Garda doesn't touch her at all, that if she has concerns about an unborn baby that when a tense incident arises she should absent herself rather than get into the thick of it. I mean, surely no one would put their pregnant selves into the middle of a scuffle, fracas or even a set-to just to be able to video it and seek to gain an advantage by playing the victim?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Gardaí have the same duty of care to themselves and their families in their workplace as the rest of us. Shooting a dog sounds glib but if some scrote set a dog on you and you were armed, would you want to risk getting cut up and all that hassle or would you shoot the dog?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

boombang wrote: »
    I've only had a quick look around, I don't see the story reported on RTE or the independent. I often have a strong suspicion that the mainstream media is increasingly unwilling to report traveller transgressions.

It's reported in both and it was on the front page of RTE earlier.

Larbre34 wrote:
    I would say to the woman on the recording protesting loudly about the whole affair due to being heavily pregnant while the Garda doesn't touch her at all, that if she has concerns about an unborn baby that when a tense incident arises she should absent herself rather than get into the thick of it. I mean, surely no one would put their pregnant selves into the middle of a scuffle, fracas or even a set-to just to be able to video it and seek to gain an advantage by playing the victim?

She was so concerned for her husband after he got hit by a bullet fragment she kept recording......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Pretty hard to tell whats going on but it looks like the dog might have gone for the cop, you can see that something is pulling on his tie and he shoots downwards at whatever is in front of him. You can't actually see the dog at any point.

Was the dog dyslexic :D go for the thigh not the tie ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭gooseygander

Discodog wrote: »
    The Guard did not have control. He was extremely unprofessional, failed to see the risks & should of pulled back & asked for backup. Very worrying that such a poorly trained Guard is holding a firearm.
    Pulled back my h-le, and left yer man in the van to be beaten by the husband, savaged by the dog, and if this thread is to be believed hacked with a slash hook by madame with the video. Some nonsense spoke here. For me that Garda done nothing wrong. Ffs they all knew he had drawn his gun and were too busy to ignore his requests to get it all on camera. Garda has no case to answer here me thinks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

boombang wrote: »

Ironically these are the two that I have noticed that are also unwilling to report Garda transgressions.

what would he have done had he not had the gun?

Not have gotten involved in something he shouldn't have.

• Advertisement

archer22 wrote:
    Ironically these are the two that I have noticed that are also unwilling to report Garda transgressions.

Maybe have a look at the RTE news app and Independent .ie both have covered this.

BBFAN wrote:
    Not have gotten involved in something he shouldn't have.

So a guard is not supposed to get involved when a crime has been reported and he is on the scene? Sure why have guards at all?

Fann Linn wrote: »
    And all of that from a couple of minutes of youtube.
    No one apart from those involved or witness to same knows what went on from start to finish.

And yet it's definitely gospel that the traveller had a slash hook yeah? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

Like just about everyone else I don't know the full story, but that clip shown on TV3 tonight does not show that guard in a good light.
    There seems to have no immediate threat from the Dog when he fired.
    Looks more like he was simply annoyed by the Dog and lost his cool.

Or the REAL story...

Gardai smash traveller chop shop and take conficate over €1/2 million of car and van parts stolen from Ireland and the UK.

In follow up operations they stop and try and arrest this scumbag who is both a well know traveller criminal with several conviction for violence, robbery and other offences and wanted for questioning in relation to the raid last week.

Rather than accept he has been caught (yet again) the scumbag uses his dog to intimidate and effectively threaten the garda. Garda unfortunately shoot the wrong object and the dog is dad instead of the scumbag

And pavee point's comment on this and last week's incident?

- Yep, NADA!

Where's your back up for this real story?

archer22 wrote: »
    Like just about everyone else I don't know the full story, but that clip shown on TV3 tonight does not show that guard in a good light.
    There seems to have no immediate threat from the Dog when he fired.
    Looks more like he was simply annoyed by the Dog and lost his cool.

So there is footage from a different angle that shows the dog.
    Does anyone have a link?

archer22 wrote:
    Like just about everyone else I don't know the full story, but that clip shown on TV3 tonight does not show that guard in a good light. There seems to have no immediate threat from the Dog when he fired. Looks more like he was simply annoyed by the Dog and lost his cool.

Did TV3 show the unedited piece?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,192 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

From the video, we see something/somebody attempting to assault a Garda who is only preventing a crime being committed.

Garda fires shot.

Assault ceases.

Nobody dies.

Seems like the Garda has no case to answer.

Did TV3 show the unedited piece?

Must be or else a video from a different perspective.
    I'm unable to find it online though.
    I do wonder what had such a strong grip on his tie.

• Advertisement

Are you making the decision to forget that when the Garda arrived on the scene the lad had a slashhook out? He was after coming from a funeral of course...

Back up to that story?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement